Started on: 02-22-2014 09:43 AM
Replies: 34 (2502 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-26-2018 11:41 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We all seem to run into problems when replacing the exhaust.
The big problem is finding a crossflow muffler similar with a 13" case like the stock one.

Edit: The Spintech is a common one people use.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010924-2-008705.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-102051.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-1-042288.html

Found a new one we hadn't seen before - 4" x 9.75" Oval - 13" Body x 18.5" Overall
http://www.fullboarperforma...e%2C-Power%2C/Detail

The only other one I've seen with a similar case size is the Afterburner (have one on my Indy)
http://www.summitracing.com...g-50363flt/overview/

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-05-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to see if the fullboar has welded sides or rolled. and wish someone had a soundfile for it. Ive heard the afterburner, that thing gets raspy at higher rpm but sounds good.

Originally posted by fierosound:

We all seem to run into problems when replacing the exhaust.
The big problem is finding a crossflow muffler similar with a 13" case like the stock one.

Found a new one we hadn't seen before - 4" x 9.75" Oval - 13" Body x 18.5" Overall
http://www.fullboarperforma...e%2C-Power%2C/Detail

The only other one I've seen with a similar case size is the Afterburner (have on on my Indy)
http://www.summitracing.com...g-50363flt/overview/
Just found soundfiles youtube. I just might be the mood to change a muffler That thing sounds good!! and the price is good as well.

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 02-22-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

Just found soundfiles youtube. I just might be the mood to change a muffler That thing sounds good!! and the price is good as well.

Sound bites http://www.youtube.com/chan...rvc1W_nHRcyPA3DOa7Mw

Full Boar Crossflow muffler - Chrysler 300M w/ V6 engine

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-22-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<bump>

Just curious if anyone tried a Full Boar muffler yet...

The Afterburner muffler on my Indy is loud as hell even with the resonator tips.
The Full Boar may be a better alternative.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked at the specs of V4164T and the case width and length is the same as my afterburner one. I think I want to keep a close eye on this thread, I would love to hear from someone that gives it a try.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

I think I want to keep a close eye on this thread, I would love to hear from someone that gives it a try.

Anyone?

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've lived long enough and replaced enough exhaust systems on cars/trucks to have learned that I will never install any exhaust components that are not made of stainless steel. Must be at least 409, although 304 or 321 is preferred. Those Fullboar mufflers are aluminized steel which is just garbage. You could install one of those, only drive your car on sunny days and never drive through any water on the roads and that muffler would still rot away. It's unfortunate that they created tooling to make these mufflers with varying inlet and outlet sizes, but they don't offer it in stainless.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Flowmaster stainless steel muffler from WCF (although it took a like time from order to delivery), and the muffler is indestructible. It still sounds great after 17 years, so I would vote for stainless, also.
bb
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how important is the width? does it have to be 13" or is it just easier to replace?
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several of us have replaced our exhaust systems and used Spintech mufflers. Ron's 333SC muffler provides a great fit given the limited amount of space available for installation. Another muffler to consider.

http://www.spintechmufflers...outlet/prod_383.html
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found another transverse muffler - Flowmonster 4"x9"x15" long body
http://flowmonster.com/i-67...-2-5-transverse.html

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Lawson Industries Insynerator - a transverse 4"x9"x15" long body
http://www.lawsonindustries...nsverse-2-50-in-2-50

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

how important is the width? does it have to be 13" or is it just easier to replace?

Here's a pic of stock exhaust next to one I built using Flowtech Afterburner muffler - 4"x10"x13" long body
(stock 4"x11"x12" long) Note - Afterburner is loud as hell running without catalytic convertor.

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so which one is the most quiet? I have a Spintech on my DOHC swap and it's too freakin' loud. I'm looking for the quietest 2.5" crossflow in that case size. Any ideas?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Walker Exhaust Muffler Assembly, 40094

Gibson CFT Oval Superflow Mufflers

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been using this one. Not quite but no to little drone with a 3800sc.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17638/10002/-1
And I didn't have to cut the trunk.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 09-21-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Gibson CFT Oval Superflow Mufflers

Good to know. You have one of these installed?
Gibson has a 4"x9"x13" long case with 2", 2-1/4" and 2-1/2" inlet pipe
http://www.gibsonperformanc.../Duall&h=Offset/Dual

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good to know. You have one of these installed?
Gibson has a 4"x9"x13" long case with 2", 2-1/4" and 2-1/2" inlet pipe
http://www.gibsonperformanc.../Duall&h=Offset/Dual

Not yet, but have been looking around.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Not yet, but have been looking around.

Still wondering if anyone has installed a Full Boar on a Fiero yet.

Full Boar muffler - Chrysler 300M w/ V6 engine.
(I expect this still has a catalytic convertor too)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-23-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remain unconvinced that the objective of having unrestrictive flow and a soft sound is possible with a 14" L cross flow muffler. The out-the-back short 3800 systems that I have fabricated have been loud. The 3" Flotech Afterburner with dual 2 1/2" Outs was certainly non-restrictive but very loud and that's with two Hedman Hot tips resonators added. It was just too loud for my taste so I switched to a Spintech 334 SC, that had the some external configuration but circular baffles within. Its about 15% quieter than the Afterburner, a step in the right direction but not low sounding at all. The quiet 3800 systems appear to be the ones using the 21" Magnaflow but the fit is tight and the trunk heat shield needs to be removed . I didn't want to do it this wayso the Spintech stays for now. I will try to use sound insulation on the fender wells and on the deck lid and hope that I can get the interior "radio quiet".

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crossflow/transverse 4" x 9.75" Oval - 13" Body x 18.5" Overall

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-08-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

re: Mandrel Bending Solutions in link above...

I don't know how much if a business they are or how viable they are.
Looks like a big business from the building pictured, but there's only 3 guys there.
Online ordering crashes once I input that I'm in Canada (pick new address).
When I phone, I always get a guy who says I need to speak to "the other guy" who's never there.
He then takes my information so "the other guy" can call me back - but never does...

Too bad because they have the best price on the Jones muffler AND mandrel pipe bends (better than Summit Racing)
rlndhill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rlndhillSend a Private Message to rlndhillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

re: Mandrel Bending Solutions in link above...

I don't know how much if a business they are or how viable they are.
Looks like a big business from the building pictured, but there's only 3 guys there.
Online ordering crashes once I input that I'm in Canada (pick new address).
When I phone, I always get a guy who says I need to speak to "the other guy" who's never there.
He then takes my information so "the other guy" can call me back - but never does...

Too bad because they have the best price on the Jones muffler AND mandrel pipe bends (better than Summit Racing)

I installed the Jones Full Boar FB2583 (2.5 in/2.5 out) with a Magnaflow Cat and I love the sound. Send me a PM and I will send you a video of the car.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/mu...p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jo...p2060353.m1438.l2649

Robert

[This message has been edited by rlndhill (edited 05-11-2018).]

87fiero2017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fiero2017Send a Private Message to 87fiero2017Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im deciding on muffler choice on my 3800 build right now.havent decided yet but did find a cherry bomb muffler 88117 thats 3 in and 2 1/2 out with 16 body
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 13" cross flow is the easiest install. The ones sold on eBay are perfectly fine on a car not used for every day driving. Only $36.95 and free shipping. Had one on my Fiero for 5 years and its still solid as a rock.
welded crossflow muffler

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-12-2018).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The 13" cross flow is the easiest install. The ones sold on eBay are perfectly fine on a car not used for every day driving. Only $36.95 and free shipping. Had one on my Fiero for 5 years and its still solid as a rock.
welded crossflow muffler

When you say not used everyday for driving I can only assume it is a loud exhaust with drone?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rlndhill:

I installed the Jones Full Boar FB2583 (2.5 in/2.5 out) with a Magnaflow Cat and I love the sound. Send me a PM and I will send you a video of the car.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/mu...p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jo...p2060353.m1438.l2649

That's the big Camaro muffler with 15" case... PM sent...

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

When you say not used everyday for driving I can only assume it is a loud exhaust with drone?

Good question. I have the Flowtech Afterburner with cat. convertor AND resonator tips.
This one: https://www.summitracing.co...t/parts/big-50363flt
Sounds very good outside, but the drone INSIDE downs out the exhaust note between 2500-3500rpm.

Super annoying, can't enjoy radio etc. and why I'm rebuilding my exhaust.
A friend put the same Afterburner on his Fiero 3800 s/c after I warned him not to.
Super loud.. but he "got used to it"... (..."can you repeat what you said?" lol)

I ordered the Jones V4143T muffler for my Indy SD4 from eBay - 13" case length...
(I gave up on Mandrel Bending Solutions after a week of pizzing about with them...)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jo...p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Jones Exhaust V4132T would be closest to factory muffler

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-17-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Yes that muffler is loud ( compares to Afterburner) but the same size Spintech with the spiral baffles is only about 15% lower. I currently run the Spintech. My next 3800SC install will use the 13" long welded muffler but with a 3" auger insert at the input and dual 2" pipes on the output. The combination of the muffler auger and 2" (smaller) pipes going out should really suppress the noise without adding significant back pressure.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-14-2018).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I am in the market for a muffler myself but do not know what my motor is going to sound like currently (still finishing the build). I have taken the cat off the car, I am sure it will be significatnly louder than what it was before.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2018 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I ordered the Jones V4143T muffler for my Indy SD4 from eBay - 13" case length...
(I gave up on Mandrel Bending Solutions after a week of pizzing about with them...)

The Jones V4143T V-Power muffler I ordered arrived today.
It appears to be very well constructed. Pipe connections are 16ga.
It is supposed to be quieter than the Jones Deflector muffler (comparable to Flowmaster 40 or 44).

The "guts" of the V-power mufflers are all the same. I photo-edited this cutaway to show how it looks as a transverse.
No flat surfaces or sharp corners inside, so supposed to be deep tone without drone/resonance.
Yup - you can see light right through between the outlets.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-22-2018).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2018 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Jones V4143T V-Power muffler I ordered arrived today.
It appears to be very well constructed. Pipe connections are 16ga.
It is supposed to be quieter than the Jones Deflector muffler (comparable to Flowmaster 40 or 44).

The "guts" of the V-power mufflers are all the same. I photo-edited this cutaway to show how it looks as a transverse.
No flat surfaces or sharp corners inside, so supposed to be deep tone without drone/resonance.
Yup - you can see light right through between the outlets.

Wow that's a different setup internally, I'm curious what it wounds like.
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2018 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I have a Spintech on my SD4 with no cat. I have no complaints on the sound. The engine is loud as heck, but not so much from the exhaust, its the solid lifters and straight cut gears that contribute as much as the muffler to the noise.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2018 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

FWIW, I have a Spintech on my SD4 with no cat. I have no complaints on the sound. The engine is loud as heck, but not so much from the exhaust, its the solid lifters and straight cut gears that contribute as much as the muffler to the noise.

Yeah with a getrag 5 speed I need loud exhaust
boostedbird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I hear you brotherman.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Did you try Larryinkc's solution?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock