spintech muffler by Atlanta1
Started on: 07-19-2009 09:21 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: zi_gravedigger on 07-22-2009 09:32 PM
Atlanta1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Direct Link to This Post
Anyone installed a spintech muffler on their 2.8 that would like to share
the sound and power? I have a stock muffler on my 2.8 and am deciding on the
spintech muffler for increased power. I currently have a noise decibal around 87-89 db.
Just concered if it will be louder than the old stock muffler.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
Mounted a Spintek w/ catalytic converter removed on my 2.8 5spd., and it sounded nice. Not too loud, but to me had a little edge to it. So.....I mounted a very short glasspack in the converter area. Now it sounds sweet w/ no "ricey" edge to it. As far as horsepower gain....... I feel any attempt to gain horsepower from the 2.8 is just a waste of time and money. Mine runs strong, but still it's gotta be only 130hp. or so. Gotta go with an engine swap if you really want horsepower. Just my opinion.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The only modification that has been proven to be effective for more horsepower in the FIero exhaust is the porting of the exhaust manifolds and a nonrestrictive crossover pipe. If you do that modification even a straight pipe exhaust won't produce more power.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at the spintech myself. I really don't like the square box effect but they do a good job.

I am currently planning to go a different direction, but in the CAT position you will do just fine with the spintech.

BTW, porting the heads, manifolds, and Y is the biggest step in terms of power and sound. The change of muffler is sound with marginal power adding IMHO.

Arn
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
I had Darrell Morse port my throttle body, manifolds, and plenum. The fuel economy is much better, and it "feels" faster. However, Darrell hasn't posted for some time, and it would be a shame if he doesn't offer his services any more; he does great work!
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

I had Darrell Morse port my throttle body, manifolds, and plenum. The fuel economy is much better, and it "feels" faster. However, Darrell hasn't posted for some time, and it would be a shame if he doesn't offer his services any more; he does great work!

• Unfortunately for us, he doesn't.
  • I agree with you; his workmanship was excelent.

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Atlanta1:

Anyone installed a spintech muffler on their 2.8 that would like to share
the sound and power? I have a stock muffler on my 2.8 and am deciding on the
spintech muffler for increased power. I currently have a noise decibal around 87-89 db.
Just concered if it will be louder than the old stock muffler.

Atlanta ???????
I am in Woodstock I installed a spintech on a friends 355 kit car and it sounds better than the stock one that he had.
it is not loud at all.
welcome to the madness.
D.

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 07-20-2009).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
I installed a WCC catback 2 1/4" with the Spintek and it sounds a whole lot better then stock (thought my stock muffler was shot...) and definitely louder. The only slight annoyance I have is on the highway where my 4spd keeps the revs near 3000 so it's a little louder then I would like for cruising.
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I installed a Spintech 331SC on a 3800SC. Sounded good and wasn't too loud.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 07-20-2009).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
One thing about the Spintech is that they put out a unique sound that is due to the spinning of exhaust gases within the case. Some owners love it others hate it. I believe that it sounds OK but try to hear a Fiero with one before you buy.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
Did the porting and welding of the exhaust manifolds/Y-pipe. Yea......I guess it helped some. I guess I'm up to at least 135hp now!! I'm sick of the 2.8, even though it runs and sounds great w/ the Spintek muffler. It's kinda like driving a chihuahua. All bark and no bite. I'm starting a 3800NA 4spd. automatic swap soon. Got the motor, just gotta pick up an engine hoist to get started this week. I think 135hp to 210hp will satisfy me for a while. Then maybe it's turbo time.
PFF
System Bot
Dracor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DracorSend a Private Message to DracorDirect Link to This Post
I have one that has the outlet and inlet on the same side behind my 3800SC. It sounded pretty good at idle. I haven't had it much past that before the fuelpump went out.

------------------
'84 3800SC, XP cam, 3.2 pully, HPTuners, N* TB, 4sp, SPEC 3+ clutch, Aluminium flywheel, pacesetter headers, F355 body kit, weight reduction

FIER086

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIER086Send a Private Message to FIER086Direct Link to This Post
I am planning on getting a Spintec muffler from West Coast Fieros but I hear they take forever to ship stuff like 2-3 weeks. I have not order it yet but I dont want to get screwed by them.... are they trustworthy?

This is going on a relatively stock Fiero GT. I wanted something a bit more aggressive than stock plus it gives me an excuse to fix my bent tailpipe and nasty tips!

------------------
'86 2m4- Auto, Daily Driver
'87 GT - 5spd, Project Car
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing

zi_gravedigger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zi_gravediggerSend a Private Message to zi_gravediggerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIER086:

I am planning on getting a Spintec muffler from West Coast Fieros but I hear they take forever to ship stuff like 2-3 weeks. I have not order it yet but I dont want to get screwed by them.... are they trustworthy?

My one and only experience with them- I got what I paid for. Almost a month later. Not sure if a muffler would be an off the shelf type item that will ship quicker. I ordered engine and trans mounts

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock