Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
   343SC Spintech Muffler sound quality on the 3800 swap? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
343SC Spintech Muffler sound quality on the 3800 swap? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 06-30-2015 05:10 PM
Replies: 45 (2719 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 12-08-2020 11:57 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2015 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is an illustration of how the Spintech 343SC will fit. Pretty close to stock look with no trunk mods.:

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-23-2015).]

IP: Logged
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I was able to get my Spintech muffler to only protrude about 1/2" below the heat shield. With a creative bend of a 3" exhaust donut on the head pipe you can get that muffler to higher up. The muffler is only 9" H and 4" W. The jury is still out on the sound.

Got any pics of the "creative bend" of the 3" exhaust donut?
I'm trying to install the 343SC and get it tuck up enough without half of the muffler
hang to low.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Tom Slick (edited 06-03-2017).]

longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:
I have a MagnaFlow muffler that has one in on one side and outs on both sides just like the stock fiero muffler is. It is very quiet at all times. All I can hear is my supercharger screaming behind me when I get on it. I can't remember the part number right now though

i like the idea of quiet. Magnaflow makes this muffler: #12266 2 1/2" in, dual 2 1/4 outs 5"x8"x18" What problems might i have fitting this muffler behind my otherwise stock 3800SC?

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

i like the idea of quiet. Magnaflow makes this muffler: #12266 2 1/2" in, dual 2 1/4 outs 5"x8"x18" What problems might i have fitting this muffler behind my otherwise stock 3800SC?

jon

Anything longer than about 13" is going to make fitting that muffler in place difficult. It can be done but it usually results in having to eliminate the trunk side heat shield as a muffler longer than about 13" will not fit in the space that the cradle allows. The Spintech is the lowest sounding muffler for its size that we've tried. If you want further sound reduction the exhaust pipes can be wrapped in DEI heat wrap. That tends to make them somewhat like resonators. The Spintech exhaust is not exactly quiet but you can have a conversation in the car while driving. Its far lower than when we had the Flotech Afterburner muffler installed. That muffler was extremely loud and gave a loud drone.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2020 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dennis. Question:

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
If you want further sound reduction the exhaust pipes can be wrapped in DEI heat wrap. That tends to make them somewhat like resonators.

Is there some reason you recommend DEI?? This is cheaper:

https://www.amazon.ca/SWI-T...%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-10

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2020 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

Thanks Dennis. Question
Is there some reason you recommend DEI?? This is cheaper:

https://www.amazon.ca/SWI-T...%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-10

I cannot give you an opinion on the lower cost heat wrap. Is it identical material, the same density ???? If it is the same material then by all means it should work. All I can say for sure is that by wrapping the pipes it did provide some sound relief. It was pretty hard getting an acceptable exhaust tone from the 3800

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock