Replies: 22 (708 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 06-01-2015 04:55 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I opened the rear deck yesterday an heard the strap snap. It was very hard to close the lid again but I finally was able to. The result:

I haven't been able to have a closer look yet but this is the result of only the strap snapping, right? So Replacing the strap and all should be well?

I found this thread about replacing the straps and it doesn't seem like a fun job to do. Is this still the only way to do it? There isn't a method for adding another strap without having to completely remove the hinges?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to me like the entire hinge broke. All the strap does is stop the hinge from opening too far.
You're going to need something to hold the tension off of the spring while you replace it (the hinge.)

Be very careful. Your fingers/hands are no match for those springs.
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, there is no way that side could be up that much unless the hinge is either broken or became disconeected
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Looks to me like the entire hinge broke. All the strap does is stop the hinge from opening too far.

Agreed. It's probably the hinge pin that broke.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never seen you that before!!! But yes it has to be the hinge, the strap is to limit the travel of it.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both cable straps have been broken for years on my '84 SE. Doesn't seem to affect anything... I just hold onto the deck lid like I always did.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agreed. It's probably the hinge pin that broke.

Ok!

That's a lot easier to replace than the strap!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Ok!

That's a lot easier to replace than the strap!

So, when are you going to PM me if I have the part and at the same time order it from the USA while I dig it up ?
I'm pretty sure I have complete hinges, but I wont look for them unless you are sure about "what" exactly broke and needs to be replaced.

Ok I will look for them anyway. I suck.

Strange failure btw, never seen that happen.

edit: I found them, $500 plus shipping. Each.

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 05-14-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, probably the hinge pin (or hinge metal) snapped and the torsion rod is pushing up the decklid (see the metal "hanging down"... that is the tension rod connector pushing up). A good used hinge should fix it. Any pics with the lid up (be very careful when lifting decklid, as it may shift and cause the tension rod to snap up and damage something.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 05-14-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

I found them, $500 plus shipping. Each.

Such a deal!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hinge pin worked it's way out? It could be under the car.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-14-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Such a deal!

Yeah, plus shipping from the Netherlands all the way to the Netherlands
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

You're going to need something to hold the tension off of the spring while you replace it (the hinge.)

This has happened to others:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031229-2-039860.html

Most have replaced it with a hardened steel rod or pin.

How to work on the hinges and torque rods without making things worse...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/135330.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-14-2015).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So there's no way I can "simply" insert another hinge pin without removing or replacing the entire hinge?

edit: I found them, $500 plus shipping. Each.

I'll take ten please.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

So there's no way I can "simply" insert another hinge pin without removing or replacing the entire hinge?

If half the hinge is still attached to the decklid, I don't see why holding the decklid open in the proper position wouldn't allow another hinge pin to be inserted (if indeed that's what the problem is).

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally had the time to quickly check what was wrong and the hinge pin is sheared off, by the looks of it because it rusted solid. According to Rodney in another thread it's nearly impossible to get the rusted pins out. Can these be drilled out?
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They can not be drilled out. They are hardened steel. I tried. I also tried very hard to drive the broken pin pieces out and could not get anything to budge the least bit. Everyone should take the time now to oil their rear deck lid hinge pins.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd thing is, I open my rear decklid quite regularly. In fact, I opened it a few days before the pin sheared. So I don't think it's rusted solid.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, I have a replacement hinge laying on my bench for a week now, do you want it to be send to you or do you want some help to replace it too ? I am just half an hour away from you.

I know you dont want to be treated differently because you run some crappy site , but this is just a normal offer to a fellow Fiero owner. This needs to be fixed.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff, I have a replacement hinge laying on my bench for a week now, do you want it to be send to you or do you want some help to replace it too ? I am just half an hour away from you.

I know you dont want to be treated differently because you run some crappy site , but this is just a normal offer to a fellow Fiero owner. This needs to be fixed.

Fantastic! I would love some help with this! But I don't have a garage to work in. I can work in front of the house but the weather needs to clear up first for that!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, that was fun
We sure took the time to do it right......lol

Some interesting info for people who suffer a snapped hingepin and drive around with a warmed up engine: your decklid may warp, you may figure that out after taking some time trying to get it lined up and not getting it lined up.

Not saying that this happend in this case, all went well of course and we also had no problem with the torx-bolts that were almost-torx-bolts. 27+18 years of Fiero experience cant be underestimated.
Great to see and talk to you again Cliff !

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 05-31-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it was very nice to meet you and thank you very much for helping me out! Next time you are in Haarlem we'll grab a beer together.

I've driven the car for a few hours and it looks like the deck lid has settled a bit and is less warped than it was. I don't think it will magically unwarp itself completely but at least it closes a bit easier now. In the mean time I will keep an eye out for another decklid

Oh, and this would have saved us two hours of work yesterday:

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great! I'm happy that you got it fixed! Was wondering how it worked out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock