Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Neil's Aventador build (Page 19)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Neil's Aventador build by Neils88
Started on: 03-02-2015 11:34 PM
Replies: 731 (67192 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:57 AM
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2023 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm.... been more than a year since I last posted anything. I guess I'm due for an update.

After going really slowly for a couple of years, I've now managed to get into a routine and get into the garage for 1 to 2 hours a day, for 4 to 5 days a week.

I finally completed the passenger side door frame so that it matches the drivers side. After that, I decided to start at the rear of the car and work my way forward installing all remaining parts and panels. (There were lots of bits and pieces installed.... but i don't have a list so you'll have to take my word for it. ) My goal is to get the car completed to the point where the next step will be body work and paint. I've now worked my way up to the doors. I'm currently working on the passenger side door.

I'd already made the door hinges, so the next thing was to build the door body and assemble everything within. I modified the existing door body to fit the new opening, slightly compressing the door seal all around. I next installed the front window track and the power window regulator tracks/ motor. It took lots of fiddling to get this all aligned correctly so that the window moved up and down smoothly while being tight against the door seal. Once this was done, I was able to build up the door framing and attach the latch strike plate. With the framing in place, I mounted the outer dew wipe.

The hardest part for the door was the side mirror. For rigidity, the mirror had to mount to the door frame. I used the power mirror mechanism from a Lexus. I fiberglassed the mounting bracket to the inside of the Aventador mirror housing. I also wanted to have the folding mirror feature, but the motor from the Lexus mirror was too big for the Aventador housing. Instead, I mounted it near the rear of the door where I had a fair bit of excess room. It's connected to the folding mirror using bowden cables. It seems to work well. (See video below).

I also made an estimate of the final weight of the complete finished door and installed the corresponding gas shock. Hopefully I was close in my estimate so that I don't have to change the shock later.

I'm now ready to run some wiring and then copy all of this work onto the driver's side. Then I'll be able to add the door skins and continue installing the front panels. Before installing the skins, I'll be adding a sound proofing material to them. It's next to impossible to install it properly once the skin is mounted, so I'll add it before hand. I'm using Siless hybrid sound and vibration damping panels.

Video of folding mirror
IP: Logged
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2023 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great progress! Very impressive work overall, glad that you have not given up on the project.

Not sure if you are familiar with the build "Project Binky" on Youtube, but they basically build an original Mini and shove the entire drivetrain from an AWD Turbo Celica into it, they essentially rebuild the entire car from scratch, I think only the dash bar is original. There are lots and lots of great ideas in that project that I think would be applicable to your build if you were looking for a highly technical and highly entertaining video series to check out for some additional inspiration.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2023 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Zkhennings, I'll take a look for that. I'm always interested in shows like that. 👍
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2023 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very glad to see you back at it! Love the folding mirrors and how you made everything work. Its always the details that take forever. Did you have the door window glass custom made, or is that lambo glass?

shem
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2023 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Very glad to see you back at it! Love the folding mirrors and how you made everything work. Its always the details that take forever. Did you have the door window glass custom made, or is that lambo glass?

shem

The door glass is oem Aventador (along with the seals and dew wipes). The windshield is from a 2001 Infiniti i30. The rest of the glass (rear glass, small ones in front and behind the door glass, and the engine bay glass) is all custom made.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2023 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2023 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I'd post something new.... and this time it took me less than a year to post it!

First, I added protective paint for the inside of the door. Nothing special but looks nice.

I've also built the driver's side inner door shell (starting with major mods to the one I had). It'll be modified lots before I'm done, but I need something to start with. Obviously, the passenger side door is the best reference, so I've essentially duplicated a mirror image of that. The hinge had to be adjusted so that the door opened at the same angle as the other door. Subsequently, the main support bar had to be cut and moved as well. Now that the basic door opens properly I can start adding the other components.

I've also started to put together the electronics for the door. This includes the microprocessor, two dual motor controllers, a current sensor, and a CANbus controller. I'll be controlling the power window, power mirror, mirror power folding motor, door release switch, door lock switch and the safety light at the bottom of the door (red light that is visible when the door is up). It's important to note (well, for me... not you...), that the glass needs to drop down about an inch or so when the door is being opened or closed to ensure it clears the upper trim. I'll probably get the windows to automatically close when the doors are locked as well. Now I just need to install the components in the electronics enclosure, wire it and write the software.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2023 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on the driver's side door for a couple weeks. This has been quite frustrating. Everytime I think I'm getting the window regulators/ tracks all setup in the correct alignment, I end up finding something that isn't quite right. I've had to cut and reweld everything numerous times. I also had to spend time reworking the door opening so that the window/ door seal doesn't have any gaps with the door and the glass. The window now operates smoothly and fits nicely against the seal. I've installed the striker plate, mounting it to a backing plate. And of course, I've added the gas shock to lift the door.

With the window up, the glass sits perfectly. Unfortunately, when the glass is lowered the back end of it is riding against the striker plate support. This pushes the glass way out of alignment so it'll need to be reworked before I move on.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2023 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've made some more progress since the last posting. Of course, after saying that I had the window regulator working smoothly, I ended up pulling everything off the driver's side door and starting over. I'm happy to say, the window regulator issues have now been corrected, and I only lit the car on fire two times.

In addition to the window regulator, I built the main framing for the door. This just leaves the mirror (with the folding mechanism) in order to get to the same point as the passenger side.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2023 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normally, when I install brackets that are at strange angles (like for the side mirror), I'll measure things as best I can then tack weld the bracket in place. Then I can measure how things fit and have a good reference for how much things need to be moved. With some of the more complex parts, it can take 3,4,5, or more times to get things positioned exactly. Today, I measured as closely as I could for the mirror bracket, tacked it in place, and to my surprise it lined up perfectly first try. Fits nicely in the door, no interference with the glass and perfectly matched the passenger side mirror.

Now I just need to install the fold-motor and run the bowden cables.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2023 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's time for another post!

I've finally completed both doors, including fiberglassing the skins on. Basically all work inside the door includes the power windows, the power folding mirrors, sound insulation, outer dew wipe and all wiring (but not the doors actual electronic control module). I'm now working on the front of the car. This includes alignment and securing of the front bumper and fenders, installation of the vent trim at the rear corners of the hood, installation of the trunk trim and installation of headlights. Unfortunately, I only have one headlight at the moment due to their extreme cost. I ended up having to cut away almost all the front end metal in order to fit the headlights. They really are quite massive. Each headlight is held in place by three brackets. I have one front bracket completed and am working to align the rear bracket. The work continues...

Once the last bits of the front end are completed, I'll start into the fun world of body work....
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2023 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neils88:
The work continues.../QUOTE]

Saw your other post Neil. Thanx for checking up.

Good to see you moving forward. Hope to be doing similar soon.

Take care, bud...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-17-2023).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock