Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  what upgrades would u make to a 3.4l block if any (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
what upgrades would u make to a 3.4l block if any by ttt123
Started on: 01-16-2014 05:53 PM
Replies: 97 (1655 views)
Last post by: JCircs on 02-04-2014 05:00 AM
RobertGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But he was specifically talking about having boost at idle. If there is boost, the BOV is closed. That's how they are designed.
IP: Logged
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RobertGT:

But he was specifically talking about having boost at idle. If there is boost, the BOV is closed. That's how they are designed.

hmm. how come no one ever recommends a 272 to anyone building a 2.8?
it would just be common sense to do so, reading on this thread and finding out that even if it were turboed that it would still work.
bcampbell

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was explaining how it's not possible to have boost in the plenum at idle. It is theoretically possible to have boost in the charge pipe at idle; however if that were the case then the BOV would be opened.

A cam with a lot of overlap can be less desirable for boost because you can lose some of the charge straight out the exhaust. I don't know if the 272 has enough overlap to cause this to happen.
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And how would you have pressure before the throttle plate when the BOV is wide open?
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bcampbell:

I was explaining how it's not possible to have boost in the plenum at idle. It is theoretically possible to have boost in the charge pipe at idle; however if that were the case then the BOV would be opened.

A cam with a lot of overlap can be less desirable for boost because you can lose some of the charge straight out the exhaust. I don't know if the 272 has enough overlap to cause this to happen.

The bov works off crankcase vacuum. Vacuum, When the throttle plate is closed, and no boost is introduced to correct the vacuum.. The vacuum will suck the plunger on the bov, and boost on the charge pipe together will be enough to overpower the bov spring and slightly open. When the throttle plate is open and the motor is under boost, the engine vacuum turns to pressure and forces the bov closed. If the engine was building boost at idle, then it would be forcing the bov closed, and the pressure in the charge pipe would be fighting it... Ie; not going to happen.

With out a blow off valve or diverter valve, your pressure would backtrack and fight the turbo causing a compressor surge.

------------------

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

Its because there are two guys using a 272 cam with a turbo. a 272 cam has valve overlap to help the 60* motors make more power at the higher rpm, because as we all know no matter what between a 2.8 and 3.4 they both fall flat on thier face after 5500rpm since the intake is so restrictive. BUT they are also using a turbo.

so I was wondering how the motors run at idle with the turbo, thinking that if they dont create any boost at idle would be understandable, because im imagining that if the turbo was making pressure, it would interfere with the idle since the cam has overlap.

My idle speed on the turbo 3.4 with 272 cam is 950-1000 RPM with a Getrag 282 transmission. The boost gauge is mechanical and likely not very accurate. There is some light boost shown at idle but that could easily be a gauge error.

Nelson
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

My idle speed on the turbo 3.4 with 272 cam is 950-1000 RPM with a Getrag 282 transmission. The boost gauge is mechanical and likely not very accurate. There is some light boost shown at idle but that could easily be a gauge error.

Nelson

Mechanical gauges are very accurate, but it would have to be a higher quality model... If your boost line was run correctly, without any leaks. Your gauge starts at -30 psi to 30 psi, and is sitting at 0 on idle?
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Negative psi?

His boost gauge reference line isn't run correctly. He's likely referencing before the throttle plate, where a gauge hovering around 0 would be pretty likely.
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Negative psi?

Vacuum

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So from the last two pages of this thread.. I'm going to invest in a BOV for the best mods to a 3.4l motor lololol sorry just a little humorous sarcasm

RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

Vacuum

Which is not measured or expressed in terms of negative psi.
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it makes no difference, it can be expressed either way, as long as you're not dealing in absolute pressure.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was easier to explain, then 0-30 psi vacuum to the left of zero, 0-30 psi boost to the right. Everyone seems to understand it left of zero is negative, but thank you for your correction.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much (negative psi) vacuum should a 3.4 with a 272 cam have at idle?
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already answered that, probably somewhere around 10-11 in-Hg. That's inches of Mercury, the standard unit of measurement for vacuum in internal combustion engines. That's what my 3.4 DOHC pulls at least. It won't be the same, but it'll be close.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:How much (negative psi) vacuum should a 3.4 with a 272 cam have at idle?

My 3.4 V6 has a camshaft from another mfgr that's roughly equivalent to the Crane H272. My engine produces about 12-13" Hg at idle.
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So at 9.5 to 10.5 at idle I guess I'm in the right area, I thought it was a little low but couldn't find any vacuum leaks.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock