Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  what upgrades would u make to a 3.4l block if any (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
what upgrades would u make to a 3.4l block if any by ttt123
Started on: 01-16-2014 05:53 PM
Replies: 97 (1655 views)
Last post by: JCircs on 02-04-2014 05:00 AM
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RobertGT:

And the turbocharger doesn't use less energy, in fact it uses more.

I would like to hear the logic to this. being that a turbo utilizes some waste energy in the form of heat to opperate, that would lead me to believe that it is more efficient because the heat(along with exhaust pressure) is doing some useful work. whereas a supercharger is letting the heat go to atmosphere and turning the compressor with the engine's power alone.

notice I have said nothing about "free energy". yes a turbo does require power to operate, more then a supercharger though, I can't see that happening.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

IP: Logged
ttt123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
umm i was just looking for some fun ideas as to what could be done with the 3.4l if you were building an ideal motor with that platform lolol
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going back to the original question, selection of pistons and camshaft would depend on whether you run it naturally aspirated or boosted. Once you make that determination, the rest of the puzzle pieces will start falling into place.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is only one person who could make this thread better...

Dennis LaGrua.
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 01-20-2014).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JCircs

961 posts
Member since Jan 2011

Originally posted by carbon:

Dennis LaGrua.

I was thinking the same thing... He's been laying low but I could probably copy and paste from all his post's but it wouldn't be the same. Lol
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
I would like to hear the logic to this. being that a turbo utilizes some waste energy in the form of heat to opperate, that would lead me to believe that it is more efficient because the heat(along with exhaust pressure) is doing some useful work. whereas a supercharger is letting the heat go to atmosphere and turning the compressor with the engine's power alone.

notice I have said nothing about "free energy". yes a turbo does require power to operate, more then a supercharger though, I can't see that happening.

I wasn't comparing it to a supercharger. I was saying when you decrease restriction, you increase flow, and the turbocharger then takes more energy to run. But it's efficiency doesn't change unless you move it off it's AE island. The engine will in all likelihood make more power, and increase more than the added exhaust restriction costs it, but it's efficiency doesn't change, and it's dillusional to think it operates like Louie says.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you reduce intake restriction, it will actually take less energy to spool up the turbo. You'll also get more flow at any given boost level (or conversely, it will take less boost to achieve a certain amount of flow).

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 01-20-2014).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wasn't comparing it to a supercharger. I was saying when you decrease restriction, you increase flow, and the turbocharger then takes more energy to run. But it's efficiency doesn't change unless you move it off it's AE island. The engine will in all likelihood make more power, and increase more than the added exhaust restriction costs it, but it's efficiency doesn't change, and it's dillusional to think it operates like Louie says.

not really, because the turbo is just a air pump, so if you decrease the restriction, you decrease the mount of force required to move the same amount of air, thus decreasing the energy required.

now if you're saying a turbo is a restriction in the exhaust that takes power to operate, then that would in fact be true.
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Dennis LaGrua.

does he have a build thread to read on this subject?

i'm pretty sure i am going turbo with my build.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just search "Dennis LaGrua turbo". Would you like to purchase a rebuilt 3.4 dropout with a turbo and a 4T60? I might be going another route now that it's complete.
PFF
System Bot
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll search thanks
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ttt123

314 posts
Member since Jan 2008
"
Originally posted by Justinbart:

$1000+ just in parts to see 200hp ....maybe. No thanks.
There are dyno tests on Youtube of people getting 327-335 HP and 397- 450 ft lbs of torque with the 3.4L . Look at the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaqYdpgV4oA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6UpoCnGPEY
The last one is a video from Shaun Hammitt. If you can get passed the disparaging remarks Shaun makes in the video he makes some incredible horsepower and torque with his 3.4L.
Like 367 RWHP and 456 ft lbs of torque.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-01-2012).]

"

OK just read this out of one of Dennis's threads.... am i missing something... those are great numbers and it was on stock internals. i don't doubt that the motor has a very short life ahead of it but bring it down to 250 rwhp and you have a SCREAMING fast fiero that should last if its driven moderately. I've had 800hp camaros and supras... so I'm not trying to get a 10sec fiero but anything in the 13's or 14's is still a fun ride for a street car.

I'm not claiming anything just thinking wow proof is in that video that it can be done. now just how to do it???? lol
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ttt123:

"

There are dyno tests on Youtube of people getting 327-335 HP and 397- 450 ft lbs of torque with the 3.4L . Look at the videos.

The last one is a video from Shaun Hammitt. If you can get passed the disparaging remarks Shaun makes in the video he makes some incredible horsepower and torque with his 3.4L.

The north star makes that almost in stock form
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"

looks to me like double the stock crank hp seems possible on 10psi seeing as how these dyno runs are more than that with hp readings at the wheels.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

looks to me like double the stock crank hp seems possible on 10psi seeing as how these dyno runs are more than that with hp readings at the wheels.

I still want my 937 hp on al87's desktop dyno.
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok you guys just need to hug, have a nice cold bottle of nitrous and make up lol
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what? more bullshift...
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010

ok you guys just need to hug, have a nice cold bottle of nitrous and make up lol

I prefer the N20 lukewarm, it helps keep the pressure consistent over the coarse of the hit...
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I prefer the N20 lukewarm, it helps keep the pressure consistent over the coarse of the hit...

lol i like my nitrous in these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBNcfWG4280

ok this car was supposed to be for my daughter thus the paint job.... she changed her mine as to what she wanted so i put a funner motor in it and had a little fun with it. remember I'm a newbie to wrenching so be nice lol

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

I still want my 937 hp on al87's desktop dyno.

wishful thinking is always the best. But so are all those stickers! each one is worth 5hp*

And a hug wouldnt be too bad ttt123, but my Fiero would get jealous.
EDIT: Also, nice f-body!

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 01-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wishful thinking is always the best. But so are all those stickers! each one is worth 5hp*

And a hug wouldnt be too bad ttt123, but my Fiero would get jealous.

lol
bcampbell

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I thought putting hypereutectic pistons in a boosted engine was a no-no?

I ran 14 psi through a stock bottom end 3500 for 7 months until the head gaskets blew. Pistons are in perfect shape still. 11.5:1 AFR under boost.
bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bcampbell

260 posts
Member since Nov 2011

Originally posted by JCircs:

Please tell me this, if my turbo hits 10psi and holds steady almost instantly at wide open throttle and my boost gauge measures boost from the upper plenum how would a wider neck at the TB really make a difference?

If your top end is restrictive enough you could push 20 psi into the plenum but with an unrestrictive top end that same amount of air might be 10 psi instead. Higher boost creates more heat. Heat = bad. More prone to detonation and less efficient.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added a turbo, 272 cam, custom chip, and larger injectors (Ford 19 lb IIRC) to mine and am quite happy with the result.

Nelson
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I added a turbo, 272 cam, custom chip, and larger injectors (Ford 19 lb IIRC) to mine and am quite happy with the result.

Nelson

what type of turbo setup are you running, and whats the numbers on boost?
most are running about 8-12lbs with a stock setup.
what is your opinion with the 272 being used with the turbo?
depending on the turbo setup you have, I can imagine if you arent making boost at idle, everything should be fine with the 272's overlap.

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Nelson

thats awesome to hear thank you for sharing. do you have a build thread, pictures, videos???? anything
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

not really, because the turbo is just a air pump, so if you decrease the restriction, you decrease the mount of force required to move the same amount of air, thus decreasing the energy required.

now if you're saying a turbo is a restriction in the exhaust that takes power to operate, then that would in fact be true.

You're right, if you're moving the same amount of air. But you're not. Decreasing the restriction means more flow at the same boost levels. And turbochargers are regulated by a set boost pressure via the waste gate. So you'd still be making 10psi, but your CFM would of course increase, thereby increasing energy required. But the added CFM will most certainly result in more power of course.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what type of turbo setup are you running, and whats the numbers on boost?
most are running about 8-12lbs with a stock setup.
what is your opinion with the 272 being used with the turbo?
depending on the turbo setup you have, I can imagine if you arent making boost at idle, everything should be fine with the 272's overlap.

This was done about five years ago so I have to go back in the memory for some information wrt this build. I am making very little boost at idle speeds and my mechanical boost gauge reads somewhere around 7-8 psi at more normal rpm. The 272 has worked well for me and I am using a Mitsubishi turbo (GSP T3 KKR480 T480 TURBO RB25 RB25det SKYLINE SILVIA ) at this time. I really do not have very many photos of the build but have a couple of the completed installation if anyone is interested.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 01-23-2014).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hnthomps

5729 posts
Member since Jul 2003

thats awesome to hear thank you for sharing. do you have a build thread, pictures, videos???? anything

Most of what I have is final product photos and modifications to the engine made afterwards to correct some warmer air induction issues. I also have a custom fuel chip provided by Jeremy (Fiero Factory owner) that was necessary to correct the original running rich issue. This was originally a Dennis LaGrua "turbo" kit from a number of years ago and has been modified several times since then. Let me know if you want some specific photos and I may be able to help out.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 01-23-2014).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What exactly are you guys talking about "making boost at idol"? Your turbo is spooling up at idol?

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 01-23-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What exactly are you guys talking about "making boost at idol"? Your turbo is spooling up at idol?

Its because there are two guys using a 272 cam with a turbo. a 272 cam has valve overlap to help the 60* motors make more power at the higher rpm, because as we all know no matter what between a 2.8 and 3.4 they both fall flat on thier face after 5500rpm since the intake is so restrictive. BUT they are also using a turbo.

so I was wondering how the motors run at idle with the turbo, thinking that if they dont create any boost at idle would be understandable, because im imagining that if the turbo was making pressure, it would interfere with the idle since the cam has overlap.

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its because there are two guys using a 272 cam with a turbo. a 272 cam has valve overlap to help the 60* motors make more power at the higher rpm, because as we all know no matter what between a 2.8 and 3.4 they both fall flat on thier face after 5500rpm since the intake is so restrictive. BUT they are also using a turbo.

so I was wondering how the motors run at idle with the turbo, thinking that if they dont create any boost at idle would be understandable, because im imagining that if the turbo was making pressure, it would interfere with the idle since the cam has overlap.

Well, being I'm one of the 3.4 272 Turbo owners I can tell you that it idols steady at about 900 RPM's (in drive) and the VAC sits around 10.0 @ idol. And lastly, it still falls flat on its face at 5500 or so.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 01-23-2014).]

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, being I'm one of the 3.4 272 Turbo owners I can tell you that it idols steady at about 900 RPM's (in drive) and the VAC sits around 10.0 @ idol. And lastly, it still falls flat on its face at 5500 or so.

Dang...

well, at least we know that the turbo doesnt interefere enough at idle then.
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would it? The throttle plate is closed.
bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the turbo is spooling at idle, a) your blow-off/recirculating valve would be venting the boost, and b) that would mean that the turbo is WAAAYY too small for the engine and would be choking it most likely by low to mid-range rpms.

It's normal for a turbo to spin while the engine idles but it is definitely not normal for it to be producing boost.
RobertGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The blow off valve is vacuum actuated, so no, it wouldn't. And if you could even find a turbo small enough that it made boost at idle, it would choke the engine as soon as you touched the throttle. Not mid rpm, but like 1400 if that. This entire thread sickens me.
ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The blow off valve is vacuum actuated, so no, it wouldn't. And if you could even find a turbo small enough that it made boost at idle, it would choke the engine as soon as you touched the throttle. Not mid rpm, but like 1400 if that. This entire thread sickens me.

wow Robert i couldn't disagree more. Not trying to attack your opinion but bro these kind of threads aren't just for the gurus to debate... this stuff offers great material for guys like me who are not inherently mechanically inclined to read and research for our own knowledge bank. I've learned a lot about that 3.4l motor from starting this thread and about turbos. I've also had some really nice guys send me pm's and offer some great advice along with some awesome links to builds and reading material.

anyway thats just my thoughts on threads like this... debate breeds ideas and solutions
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is a good time.

Boost at idle.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 01-24-2014).]

bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, it would (blow-off valve would vent). Anytime the throttle plate is closed, the plenum is under vacuum, which would actuate the BOV. I also have real world experience... we put a pre-TB supercharger on my friends truck and the BOV would always be whistling at idle (throttle closed). The sound was really annoying, but you get my point... SC pushing air, but vacuum in the plenum opening the BOV.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock