Subwoofer box by markkrug
Started on: 12-18-2013 09:30 AM
Replies: 18 (2263 views)
Last post by: dobey on 12-22-2013 12:43 PM
markkrug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone let me know if the OEM subwoofer box is worth buying. I plan on putting in an aftermarket sub and using an aftermarket amp. There is just not a lot of space in the car so I thought the OEM box is a good option. I am not sure how good the bass is that comes from it. Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added that subwoofer box and a factory 5.25" subwoofer, with an aftermarket amp. I am amazed how much better the stereo sounds with it. It's not going to blow out the windows but it really does make a difference.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using a motorcycle subwoofer. It is small enough to hide behind the dash facia on the passenger side. It is a Shark if I recall correctly, and it has a built in amp with tone adjustments and crossover. Hope this helps

Arn
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't bother with the OEM enclosure if you're not using the OEM sub. Just build a small custom enclosure designed to meet the specs of the sub you are going to use.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built a box for behind the passenger seat, My box takes up a lot of leg room, because I built it so thick. If you wanted a really good sounding sub, I'd build one of these boxes, just make it out of 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4" and make it like 5" deep instead of my 6.75, and you'll still have lots of leg room. I'd use a single 10" sub, and the polk MM1040 would fit in a 5" total thickness box made from 1/2" MDF. Check out this guide for a behind the seat sub box.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/126757.html
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. I looked at building a box but am not sure about size and mounting. That is why I thought the OEM would be a good idea. I saw some threads on boxes but it seems a little confusing as to how to mount and the quality of the sound. So far as behind the seats, I need the leg room more than the bass.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by markkrug:

Thanks for the replies. I looked at building a box but am not sure about size and mounting. That is why I thought the OEM would be a good idea. I saw some threads on boxes but it seems a little confusing as to how to mount and the quality of the sound. So far as behind the seats, I need the leg room more than the bass.

I have a box that is roughly a 7" cube on the outside diameter, that I used the factory sub mounting points to mount to, and had a 6.5" JL 6w0 mounted in. Powered by the factory sub, it provided a fair bit of low end, but fell short. A 6w0 with a ~80-100w amp, will sound much better. A cube is also not the best shape for an enclosure. I just had someone make it quick, to get something in and working, when I originally got it. If I were going to do it today, I'd make the enclosure a little larger, and less like a cube, so it would sound better. But until I recently blew the sub on a more powerful amp, in another car, it worked great.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure how it would sound, but the Fiero Store now sells a rear wall panel that holds a pair of 6.5" speakers. Since I'm all about keeping stuff like that out of sight, I'm considering a pair of quality woofers for these locations in hopes they will get the job done. With a pair of 6.5" woofers, you're looking at roughly the same surface area as a sub just over 9" in diameter (area = pi * r^2)
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doober:

I'm not sure how it would sound, but the Fiero Store now sells a rear wall panel that holds a pair of 6.5" speakers. Since I'm all about keeping stuff like that out of sight, I'm considering a pair of quality woofers for these locations in hopes they will get the job done. With a pair of 6.5" woofers, you're looking at roughly the same surface area as a sub just over 9" in diameter (area = pi * r^2)

Surface area != frequency response. If you want low frequency reproduction, those plastic panels from The Fiero Store aren't going to cut it. The sealing is poor, and the plastic will create a lot of vibration. They're also not deep enough for a 6.5" subwoofer, and most 6.5" coaxial or component sets, will also have trouble fitting in.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who said anything about frequency response??? I know I didn't. Have tou already installed them to verify this??

[This message has been edited by Doober (edited 12-19-2013).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Who said anything about frequency response??? I know I didn't. Have tou already installed them to verify this??

Well, the OP was asking about subwoofers and bass. If you want very slim speakers that are only good at 250+ Hz for those panels, it should be fine.

No, I haven't installed them, nor would I ever install them in a car I owned. I don't need to install them to tell you there will be problems with lack of air volume, sealing, and vibration, due to the design, shape, and materials.

See also: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131221.html

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 12-19-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You didn't?

Woofers denote a certain frequency range, otherwise you would say full range or mid range speakers. By saying "woofers" you are implying a low end frequency range. That said as dobey said, those Fierostore panels are not sealed and they are also made out of vacuum molded plastic. I seriously doubt they are of a thickness greater than 1/8" which will vibrate when you try to extend into the lower frequency range a woofer is designed for. Also, you are looking at 2" of depth if I recall correctly, so it would have to be a shallow mount woofer. This again restricts the frequency range obtainable by the speaker as usually cone travel is more limited in such designed speakers. Anyways, for someone who just wants a little more bass, they might work with a full range speaker. However if you are looking to fill in your low end down to the 40ish hz range you would be much better off fabbing up an enclosure to go in the stock location and using anactual 6.5" woofer there. There is a reason why woofers and subs get put in enclosures. You need to isolate the front wave from the back otherwise you get sound cancelation. Even a infinite baffle sub needs it's front wave sperated from the rear wave. Any air leaks can and will seriously degrade the sound quality. The "exception" is properly tuned ports which witht he way those panels would leak air they would not be.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OEM enclosure with Tang-Band subwoofer may be what you need.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000079.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, I didn't. A woofer doesn't have to go down to 20hz to perform well, a quality 6.5" woofer can have a response down to the low 30s, plenty for bass reproduction... Reinforce the enclosure if need be.

I'm not going to argue this further, wasn't the point... simple take it or leave it.
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again, thanks for all of the suggestions and information. Yes, I am looking for bass, pure and simple and do not want to try and use any space that I do not have to. While larger speakers may be a good solution, I like the information on the Tang woofer. I beleive that is how I am going to go. This way, I am using empty space and getting the best bang (or bass) for my buck!

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've also gone the Tang Band route, I prefer my 10" setup a lot more. If you don't want to take up much space, I'd HIGHLY recommend an 8" woofer in the center console over a stock enclosure with Tang Band sub.

http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie..._Sound_p/4010102.htm

In my video, I sample 3 different songs, skip to the end for older music not the garbage at the beginning. (Tupac is great though, most people on the Fiero forum don't like rap)

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-21-2013).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, so a couple of things:

The factory subwoofer system in the Fiero is actually quite good. The Fiero has a small cabin so it really doesn't take much to get decent sound. Of course, the factory components aren't all that awesome, but if you want modern bass (really low frequencies) you're going to need better speakers and such. As far as I'm concerned, there ARE a decent number of speakers out there in the 5.25" range that give pretty decent sound.

About 2 years ago, I completely upgraded the stereo system in my 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX that used the factory 5.25" subwoofer box. I went a bit overboard though... replacing the door speakers with really low frequency MB Quarts, a signal processor (to regain the lows and highs), two amps, etc. All using a factory head unit. http://www.pontiacperforman..._Stereo_Install.html

As for the Fiero, when I upgraded the stereo there, I wanted to get the best sound that I could, while basically using OEM components. I upgraded my stereo to one from a 1991 Bonneville, which basically adds a CD player, but keeping the same radio style that came in the 1987 / 1988 Fieros. For the subwoofer, I restored everything to factory, but my replacement speaker was one that I got from Rodney Dickman (www.rodneydickman.com)

I have everything that I've done at my page: http://www.pontiacperforman...l#SPEAKERS-SUBWOOFER

Rodney's speaker is pretty decent, but it's designed to work with the factory AMP. If you plan to go aftermarket, you can fit something else in there like the Tang-Band, or even a JBL.

The Fiero Store also sells something that's pretty cool, and gives you much more space. It goes behind the seats, and quite honestly probably is your best bet while looking somewhat OEM.

http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=92100

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am seeing a lot about matching the speaker with the amp. Is there a site to go to see which speakers go with what amp? I bought an aftermarket Kenwood stereo that has a subwoofer output line. I was just planning on buying a small amp to connect to the stereo sub line out and to the speaker. I guess I really underthought this.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-22-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am seeing a lot about matching the speaker with the amp. Is there a site to go to see which speakers go with what amp? I bought an aftermarket Kenwood stereo that has a subwoofer output line. I was just planning on buying a small amp to connect to the stereo sub line out and to the speaker. I guess I really underthought this.

There isn't really. It could never really be complete if there were one. If you're only looking at new equpiment, then Crutchfield's site provides all the info you'll need. You'll want to pay attention to actual RMS ratings of the speakers and amp, and not the maximum (peak RMS) output (which is what you typically see quoted). If you want to buy a used amp, you're just going to have to spend even more time doing research, looking for any actual product specifications for the amp in question, to see what it's rated at.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock