Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Recommendations for 6.5inch subwoofer type speakers to fit new Fiero store panels?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Recommendations for 6.5inch subwoofer type speakers to fit new Fiero store panels? by Curtisk1060
Started on: 12-14-2013 04:25 PM
Replies: 3 (546 views)
Last post by: Khw on 12-15-2013 02:37 PM
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do any members have a good experience with finding some type of a 6.5 inch set of speakers that will work with the new Fiero store made back panels for behind the seat. Also any help on finding a current model, but small amplifier to work with them would be appreciated. All of the search related issues on this topic are many years old and the parts in archive no longer are available. I want to add some bass speakers into both of these and keep my original speakers in the car. The car already has the factory subwoofer which has the Rodney speaker upgrades. I just want a little more bass in the back but not by tearing up the car to get it. I realize 2 inch depth speakers won't add a bunch but anything should be better than nothing? I also have the grand prix conversion w/ipod for my radio so no outputs for a subwoofer from the radio other than via the existing speaker wiring. Can anyone help with some up to date suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't tell from the pictures on the Fiero Store site. How exactly is the rear panel fastened in? You're problems with getting bass out of speakers installed in that, are much more than just the 2" mounting depth. It's ABS plastic, so if you did get speakers to fit, and they were to produce any amount of low frequency response, you'd get plenty of vibration through the plastic, and it would sound tinny. There's also the question of fastening, and how well it is sealed. Loose fastening, means the speaker won't be able to exert as much force to move the cone, as it will cause vibration, or break any sealing that otherwise would be there. And if it's not sealed well, the frequency response will just fall flat.

Polk Audio are my go-to recommendation, and they have some nice 6.5" components that might work OK in that panel. I don't know if there's a good small amp that would match the requirements of those speakers. You'd need to shop around, because you want the amp to match what the speakers need. But in that panel, you also might not want to give them even that much power, given the aforementioned issues. You'd be better off building a couple of custom enclosures out of 1/2" or 5/8" MDF to fit behind the seats, and designed around the requirements of something like the JL 6w0 speaker, with an appropriate amp, to get plenty of low frequency.

If you just want more than what the stock sub provides, maybe build a small custom enclosure to fit under the dash, and use a JL 6w0. It will sound much better than factory with just the stock amp, or you can upgrade the amp to make it really hit.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a blow-up of their picture. This is actually pretty cool... I never knew that they had this.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree with dobey on this. I don't really thin those panels would be good for a "subwoofer". They would work fine for a full range speaker or some coaxial/triaxial/quadaxial speakers but not a sub. Subs need rigid enclosures without any air leaks (the exception being maybe a infinite baffle sub) and those panels aren't that. They wouldn't even be good for an infinite baffle sub as those need the front face of the sub to be completely isolated from the rear face, which again those panels wouldn't do. I'd say build a enclosure that would fit where the stock sub goes and install a 6.5" or possibly a 8" depending on how you build it up in there. Some people have extended it down a few inches below the dash and been able to get a 10" in there but if your not looking for window shaking bass a single 6.5" or 8" in the stock location will be plenty. I've seen a enclosure made from sonotube for an 8" up in there. It wouldn't be difficult to design such an enclosure yourself.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock