Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT by mitchjl22
Started on: 03-13-2012 06:54 PM
Replies: 223 (13787 views)
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 05-17-2021 01:53 AM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:
That total is about $3500, and I did incur quite a few more costs. An auto swap does have its downfalls, I think you have to build your own axles.

-Mitch

Wow, that is quite a lot for just an engine swap, but im sure it is worth it. I almost want to go with a 3.4PR engine and port/polish the engine and then have plenty of money to get the paint job, and upgrade plenty of other things. But at the same time I know im gonna want a 3.8SC in there eventually BTW, I am from Boise Idaho and if I ever take a trip there I'd love to go cruising with you.
IP: Logged
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Wow, that is quite a lot for just an engine swap, but im sure it is worth it. I almost want to go with a 3.4PR engine and port/polish the engine and then have plenty of money to get the paint job, and upgrade plenty of other things. But at the same time I know im gonna want a 3.8SC in there eventually BTW, I am from Boise Idaho and if I ever take a trip there I'd love to go cruising with you.

Yes for sure! The 3800sc is a good swap. I just need to do some more work on mine to get it exactly where i want it.

-Mitch
Damorgan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive been considering plastidipping my fiero for a little over a year now and I was wondering how many cans you had to buy? How long did it take you to do? Also very great thread whenever I first got my fiero, always enjoyed looking at your car man
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the nice comment . As far as the dip goes, I bought the 4 gallon kit from DipYourCar.com. I personally think the kit was a huge waste of money and a scam... had I known what I was doing, I would have bought my own stuff to make up my kit. Buy this type of sprayer or similar and use it to spray sprayable gallons of dip on to your car. I used 4 the first time and 3 the second time. 3 gallons is plenty.

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 09-07-2014).]

Jake_2m4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_2m4Send a Private Message to Jake_2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read your thread. Its a good one. I'm about to try dipping my fiero for the first time, so it was cool to see.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_2m4:

I just read your thread. Its a good one. I'm about to try dipping my fiero for the first time, so it was cool to see.

Thanks Be sure to post pictures!

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, even though I don't have any cool pictures to show, I wanted to at least update the thread so if anyone cared to know what was happening, would know. I haven't driven the car since october. When adapting the compressor over to the SERIES 2 compressor, the brackets spaced it out away from the engine and as a result closer to my rubber coolant hose that attaches the water pump outlet to the underbody lines. The hose became chewed up by the AC comp and sprayed coolant all over my driveway. So now I'm just waiting until I have enough time to fix it. I'm not working at bestbuy under the Geek Squad like 35hrs a week and going to school full time taking 12 credits. So my schedule is very full. Also as soon as i get time i need to resolve the charging issue where the alt will only charge when the car is under load.

-Mitch
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mitch, great thread! Keep us updated!

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the car out of outdoor storage today and took it to a hand car wash. Then I hand waxed the dip

The car had a number of issues keeping me from driving it,

• The battery was dead.
  • The BATTERY WAS CHARGING INTERMITTENTLY this one really pissed my off because it made no sense, it just happened at random one day.
  • The coolant hose coming from the water pump got chaffed by the AC compressor
  • The air intake split in half

1. Well I went to Costco since i bought the battery there and it had a 36 month free replacement warranty, so I got a new one free.
  2. I had no idea where to start, when it came to the charging issue, I only had one ground, and It was from the transmission to the battery. I had a tiny ground strap on the battery tray, so I added a 4GA wire from the intake manifold to the body and that fixed my charging issue.
  3. Upon further inspection the hose wasn't leaking
  4. A clamp from O'Reilly for intakes fixed that

Here are some pics

My tail lenses delaminated this winter...

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 03-25-2015).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it all washed up and then put on my adjustable coil overs.

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 04-03-2015).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I revved up to 3k and dumped the clutch out today in anticipation of a burnout and all I got was a lot of smoke from the engine bay.... I broke an axle and it flung grease everywhere... I also noticed I snapped the stock dogbone bracket... I emailed Fierorog and still waiting to hear from him if the alternator and dogbone setup he makes will fit an 04 series III...

-Mitch
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a WCF motor mount on hand and ordered Fierorog's Low Mount, and Dogbone. Will post more pics of damage and dropping the cradle here soon.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, its been 6 months since I've posted here. The Fiero still exists, but is in storage since the clutch gave out a couple months ago. I don't have time to fix it right now, so I bought something else to play with for the time being. I'm saving my $$$ so I can do some cool things to the Fiero this spring. Here is a Pic I took of it today after rolling it out from storage. Pictured also is my 84' SE I'm working on restoring to sell, and my GTP.

Another Pic of my new Toy. Its a 3800sc car and so far all I've done to it (MODS) is install a 3" ZZP Downpipe. I put those wheels on it since they were spares, and I put a stereo system in it as well.

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 11-12-2015).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was having problems disengaging the clutch. Here's why.

Not really happy with spec. I called in and felt that the staff didn't take me seriously. I feel the manufacturing of this disk is to blame, not that application or installation.

I don't have the cash to but a new clutch set from another manufacturer, so I'm reusing the Pressure Plate and buying a new TOB and Disk (Stage 4+) from them for $230.

-Mitch

Edited to remove pointless ranting.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 03-16-2016).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another Spec bits the dust... Seems to be quite a few lately.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2016 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my spec stage 4+. I'm sending my flywheel to Fierorog to have it machined and balanced.

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 03-18-2016).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New stage 4 clutch is much better.

I did a thing. New paint and Ausfiero stage 2 side scoops and door molding. Also installed a new suede headliner. Love the new color and the new look.

More explanation on paint and process.
My dad bought a parts car with a 1900 mile 3800scII engine and a fully painted GT body. I wanted my car painted and I had a car show on saturday the 9th called formfest. I didn't have any time to work on the car between work and school so the day before at 9am I started the stripping down of my car. I finished striping all my panels at 9pm and continued through the night. I was awake for over 34 hours from start to finish and the panel swapping took 24 hours almost exactly.

Next:
I will have the tail lights reconditioned
Install big brake setup
Install front air dam
Swap out rodney's 1/2" drop balljoints for the 1" version.
New wheels and tires
Finally, and alignment.

Then I will be ready for car show season next year.

More to come

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 09-12-2016).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2017 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been over a full year since I posted on here last. I have not done much with the car lately but I did make it to one car show on Father's day with my dad and my step-mom. This show was very cool since it was centered in the middle of downtown boise and the year cut-off was 1977 or older. I asked them to let us in anyway and they were nice enough to accommodate us! Here's a few pictues from the Father's day car show this year.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 10-17-2017).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2017 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope the clutch is still going good
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2018 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutch is holding up really well this time! The car has been doing really well overall, but still has some loose ends that need addressing before I slap the completion sticker on it.

I need to rewire all my aftermarket accessories. I've been working the mobile audio industry for over 3 years now and I shutter to think about how I installed the audio in that car.

I need to fix the interior since my door panels are kinda falling apart.

My engine sounds like its shifting around sometimes or moving when it shouldn't. I need to pull the engine anyway and address the oil leak coming form the timing cover.

The car needs an alignment badly.

Ill have to address those issues at some point. Just not in that order. And now that I'm making real money in the real world I'd love to buy a new set of wheels.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't updated for almost 2 years... not a lot has happened, but I have some big plans to rebuild this car for 2020. Unfortunately with the current status of the world, my plans are probably pushed back a bit, but come this summer, I should have some good progress and updates. I just don't want my build to get archived. Stay tuned.
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/mitchjl22/IMG_20200515_190750_MP.jpg[ /img]
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! What is that colour called & who is it by? Also, nice choice on the wheels / tyres. What size are they?

------------------
Mike in Sydney

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished watching Ronald Finger's restoration video today. It reminded me that I still have this build thread. For now... There won't be any more updates. I've passed the car on to anther Fiero enthusiast to enjoy. I wasn't driving it, enjoying it, or working on it. It was time. I had my fun, and decided it was time to move on.

Until next time.

-Mitch
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay