Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT by mitchjl22
Started on: 03-13-2012 06:54 PM
Replies: 223 (13810 views)
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 05-17-2021 01:53 AM
CorridorCulprit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorridorCulpritSend a Private Message to CorridorCulpritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this has been my favorite thread to follow, and its very inspiring! Please keep this going, its awesome
IP: Logged
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CorridorCulprit:

this has been my favorite thread to follow, and its very inspiring! Please keep this going, its awesome

Wow thanks! You get to have page 5 too Here's some progress...

Cleaned up the new tranny for gloss black paint.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
Painted the Transmission today, not too bad.

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 02-25-2014).]

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Mitch.
Plus are you gonna repaint your valve covers and supercharger to match the paint job you are looking to get?
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about painting them black, and doing mostly black in the engine bay. That way, dirt and grease and oil won't really show up as much. When I take off the supercharger to paint it, I wonder if I should just spray over the original coating... I'm also going to replace the LIM gasket since I hear that can cause some nasty leaks. I really want to see if my flywheel is balanced correctly as well. I used a machined 3800 camaro flywheel, but after I had my swap done I read somewhere that the NA 3800 flywheel is balanced differently than a 3800sc flywheel. If that's the case I need to have it balanced. Another thing I need to look at is my flywheel bolts. I used Grade 8 bolts, but I hear grade 9 is the way to go. Maybe I need to look into that.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I forgot to post this on here... heres a video of me breaking my getrag.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 02-28-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fixed the video.

Here's another cool pic of the tranny, this one is in the paint booth

-Mitch
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, good work, I got my Fiero back in 2010 as my first car too. Though mine was in terrible condition! Very jealous of all of the shop access you get, and very good job of a clean install on everything you have done.

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!,

The shop has been a life saver. It was warm in the winter, and I had a lot of space to spread out to do the whole swap.

-Mitch
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my shop while at school

It sure is fun though
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha ouch. Hopefully its not like that too much longer.

-Mitch
PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove the car to my dads with the broken tranny mount, it made it ok.... the car's temp gauge is going from the first quarter then all the way up to just below the red, and the goes down again back and forth.... whats up with that?

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No progress today, I am trying to find out when I'll have time to swap in my new transmission. I still need to order the Rodney parts, and the Dakota Digital SGI converter. When I have the cradle out, I plan to fix the clearance issue between the PLOG and the A/C compressor, and the engine bay cleanup from all he grinding I did on the battery box.

Question though, if I take out the factory decklid torsion bars, can I mount my coil packs back on the bracket? I want to get rid of my large extended harness, and put it back to factory.

-Mitch
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great build thread!

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, Silver, 5 Speed - "Ariana"
2 Corinthians 5: 17

Vanet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanetSend a Private Message to VanetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Mitch, I just read through your whole thread, nice job!! I have been thinking about doing the same swap. Did you have to fabricate much, or were you able to ind most everything you needed of the shelf? Also the tuning kinda scares me. How did you tune it? I know you bought the harness from one of the gurus on the site, but what about the final tuning once you got it all in? Thanks Van
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vanet:

Hey Mitch, I just read through your whole thread, nice job!! I have been thinking about doing the same swap. Did you have to fabricate much, or were you able to ind most everything you needed of the shelf? Also the tuning kinda scares me. How did you tune it? I know you bought the harness from one of the gurus on the site, but what about the final tuning once you got it all in? Thanks Van

Well, its far from over yet. As far as fab goes, the low mount setup was made from scratch. I used Lloyde's design from FastFieros (Kicked off of site so I hear). You can most definitely mount the alternator in the stock location, but you have to notch your deck lid out. If you need a guide, Paul's thread is the one I followed throughout my build. He was one of the first L32 swappers, and lives 5 miles from my house. I'd be glad to assist any way I can.

Edit to add, I haven't put a final tune on it yet... it still has the tune from Fieroflyer on it. When it comes time, I know a few guys with 3800s who said they'd love to help out.

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 03-21-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just needed to offload some info from my mind. I don't want to forget these things, so I thought I'd write them down

2004 Series III L32 GTP Motor
2003 GTP Cable Driven TB and associated sensors
PCM Unknown - Fieroflyer supplied
Exhaust by Ammerman's Exhaust in Garden City, warranty on everything but muffler and tips
1990 FWD Getrag from Beretta 3.1 V6
Camaro Flywheel machined to .820 (Balance unknown)
Spec Stage 3 Clutch
New Plugs and Wires
Heat Tape on A/C compressor to help close gap with ZZP PLOG
Longer Battery cables, Ground (Grounded on AC compressor bolt) is like a 45" and Power is like 58"
Modified T-Stat housing without heater supply
Heater supply plumbed under LIM

Thats all for now,

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 04-04-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
I fixed the video Bump...

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
I don't think i ever posted this.

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The night time video sounds so much better... I think I may have an exhaust leak somewhere. I'll take it down to the exhaust shop, and I'll see if they can figure out why it sounds so bad. The night video was like right after I had the exhaust done, the second video during the day was 2 days ago. I'm really not impressed with the sound now. Its ugly and nasty. I really like the sound of the exhaust in the night video. Recently also it seems WAY louder, like the neighbors come out of their houses to see what going on.

What are your thoughts?

-Mitch
PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great mitch. Nice that you have shop nearbuy with a warranty!
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! I'm beyond impressed!! Just bought my son is first Fiero. It's an 84. Just goes to show these things can be great family fun!!
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mitch! We want updates!!
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well... not a lot to talk about...

I've been in contact with Ryan from Sinister Performance. I need to get a good base tune on this car so it will run right. I put a new MAF in it and I think the PCM needs flashed to match that.. I need the PCM reprogrammed to a 24000ppm VSS. I need the Post Cat o2 deleted. I also will be sending it back to get it reflashed after my 3.5 pulley swap.

I handed the bumper over to the collision repair department

Other than that, I bought a Buick Century for my DD. I'm really getting tired of my Fiero... I just want this mess to be done.

-Mitch
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about all of the problems man...I go through those phases as well when I'm ready to just get rid of the Fiero, but give it a bit and it'll all smooth out. BTW, have you thought about putting a chin spoiler on that bumper while its off?

Take care brother!
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my PCM back from Sinister Performance... (Darth Fiero)....

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 05-23-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm bored. The new tune didn't really do a lot after it learned everything. I still get a MIL light for lean within 5 sec of a startup. Then if I cycle the key off and on, it goes away until I let the car sit a while (1 hour maybe).

I ordered a new coil pack harness. Mine has been cut and re soldered in a few places.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I haven't updated my thread for long long time. I lowered my car, and I painted it with plastidip, twice. I finished up my swap, and got everything under wrap. I went to Fierofest 600+ miles round trip without any problems. Here are the pics.

Lots of cleaning took place in preparation for Fierofest

I ordered custom 3800sc A/C lines from a member on the forum. He and I had great communication throughout the entire order process, but somehow I forgot to tell him what compressor I had. So I ended up with what's on bottom.

My solution was to pickup a 150k mile unit form Jalopy Jungle $21

The PLOG and the compressor housing have an interference fit. I saw on Pappy's build how he ground down the compressor housing to fit under the ZZP PLOG

Morning of the drive to richland

I drove the car to Fierofest, unfortunately without A/C due to the lack of correct sealing washers on the compessor. I did get to see Justin's Monster of a fiero. Custom Norm's flipper, LS4 install, custom fiberglass dash, and Archie's hatchback were just a small few of the amazing things this car had installed.

3 of the 39 cars were dipped!

Closeup of my car dipped and lowered.

After we got back from Richland, we drove the cars to breakfast.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's an out of order update... I had some more stuff I wanted to add.

Here's a picture of it before and after I lowered it.

I let my Grandma Drive my car

All masked up

Here are the first coats of Gunmetal Gray

The yellow just didn't turn out at all.

Soooo Back to Black

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is anyone still there? bmac? I haven't had this much inactivity for a while, but it seems like my thread has fallen on its face. Still not construction zone worthy? Oh well i guess that's not everything.. It would be cool though (edit: Hint hint)

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 08-20-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had some drag racing time last night.... 2 runs between 8pm and 12pm... a honda blew its whole bottom end all over the track and it took an hour to clean it up. Here is my poor driving. I wanted to get at least 100mph, I was so close.

-Mitch
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked great Mitch....Hopefully this thread makes "The Construction Zone" soon.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Here is my timeslip. EDIT: My car is 850

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 08-25-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
On another note, I added a speaker amp today, to finally balance out my mids and highs, with my huge bass.

Sorry for the dirty center console, it gets that way really fast.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
Here's an illuminated night shot

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the car into the exhaust shop to get a leak diagnosed. They found out pretty quickly it was the exhaust crossover, not their doing, so I have to get some air tools up and going to get that crossover tightened up, fairly soon too before the temps start dropping.

Still getting a CEL on first cold startup. One cycle of key off, key back on, and the CEL disappears. Code is still for LEAN oxygen Bank 1 Sensor 1.

-Mitch
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read your entire post and all I can say is... Great job mitch! Keep up the good work. I am looking to do this same swap on my 86' GT. Im going to paint the car a yellow as well but Im going to go with a gloss yellow. How much did you spend on the swap for the 3.8SC. I've read that $3,000 is about right but im not positive.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my thread I never really priced it out. I think a HUGE cost factor is whether you want to to choose auto or manual. The flywheel, clutch and slave are spendy.

Donor Car: $1200
Flywheel: $180
Clutch Set: $350
Mounts: $300
Exhaust (If you have it done) $800
Wiring Harness and PCM: $400
ZZP MOD Pulley: $100
Paint: $50
Ball Joints: $75

That total is about $3500, and I did incur quite a few more costs. An auto swap does have its downfalls, I think you have to build your own axles.

-Mitch
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock