Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  New problems, new solutions - Building a Frankenstein's '85 (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New problems, new solutions - Building a Frankenstein's '85 by Boostdreamer
Started on: 02-09-2012 11:23 PM
Replies: 224 (10535 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 05-12-2014 09:42 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine is not officially out yet. I did make some forward progress on Saturday. Everything in the engine bay is done. Everything is disconnected and all four cradle bolts are out. The cradle is still in place under the car but it is being held up in place by jack stands. That is where I had to stop when I ran out of sunlight. I didn't work on it today. Spent the day with family. I do still have to remove the console box and disconnect the wiring harness at the firewall. I'll prolly get that done tomorrow evening after work.

Jonathan
IP: Logged
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the interior portion of the wiring harness pushed thru the firewall today. The cradle is officially ready to be dropped. I also got my firewall insulation today. Got it on eBay. It is called MityMatt and seems like a very high quality product. I'll post pics of it soon.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I received the jute interior padding that I ordered. !/2 inch thick and 40 oz per square yard. Got it on eBay. Very happy with it. Looks like good stuff and it doesn't smell like mouse pee! I also got the engine out of the '87. I'll separate it from the cradle tomorrow and put the cradle and my junk Duke back in the '87 to get it out of the way. Took pics but it was already too dark for them to be worth posting. I'll take some first thing tomorrow.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine out. Spraying the exhaust manifold bolts daily for a few days. Forgot to order my exhaust manifold stud kit from Fiero Store on 10% off day! Crap.

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 04-13-2012).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started sandblasting the cradle yesterday. Gonna work on it some more today.

CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting there, keep it up!!
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, post pics of your finished rust free cradle, people will salivate!!

Thanks again for the sandblasting on the upper and lower.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

Seriously, post pics of your finished rust free cradle, people will salivate!!

Thanks again for the sandblasting on the upper and lower.

Gotta work on it a little more. Hopefully I'll finish it today. Pics to come! Thanks for your encouragement!

Jonathan

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple of pics of my exhaust manifolds that have the inner restrictions removed. Before and after sand blasting. Major difference!

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I first ordered the front wheel bearing kit from The Fiero Store but when it arrived, the bearings were Chinese. I sent those back and went to AutoZone to get these. Inner and outer bearings plus the seals. $49.98

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
Replacement mirror glass from Napa. Not satisfied with the quality but it is the same everywhere else. Not cheap at $36.95.

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
New material and glue to recover the dashboard speaker grills. $4.32

Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job on sandblasting those exhaust manifolds, they look great! She ought to be a beauty when you get it all back together again.

Wish I had someone a bit closer to do some sandblasting for me while I've got this 2.8 out on the stand...

Robert
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my entire set up from China Freight (Harbor Freight). Air compressor $100, Sandblasting accessories $35, sand $7.

Pretty much in reach of the average home mechanic. The time and sandpaper saved makes it very worth it.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 05-07-2012).]

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I got my entire set up from China Freight (harbor frreight). Air compressor $100, Sandblasting accessories $35, sand $7.

Pretty much in reach of the average home mechanic. The time and sandpaper saved makes it very worth it.

Jonathan

I can vouch for THAT!!!!!!

------------------
Notchie to Fast Back Conversion

Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got my entire set up from China Freight (harbor frreight). Air compressor $100, Sandblasting accessories $35, sand $7.

Jonathan

Very nice...I was just down there a couple of days ago too. Looks like I'll have to go back again soon to check that out. Already have a decent compressor, so the other stuff shouldn't be to bad. What medium do you use, or just regular sand?

Robert
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my first batch of sand from China Freight also. A few days ago, a friend got me some Black Diamond brand sandblasting sand from Northern Tool. It was 50lbs for $7.

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got my first batch of sand from China Freight also. A few days ago, a friend got me some Black Diamond brand sandblasting sand from Northern Tool. It was 50lbs for $7.

Jonathan

I'm still picking it out of my hair, LOL, (I'm Bald) RFLMAO
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jonathan

Actualy its 8.99 for 50#'s
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's my latest order from the Fiero Store. Two lower strut bolt kits, 4 y-pipe to exhaust manifold bolts, a rear wing gasket, and a V6 exhaust manifold stud kit. $69.59

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rebuilt aluminum rear brake calipers with hardware from NAPA. $130.09

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
A few more sand blasted parts.

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep, got me oneof those sand blasters too, makes it easier to get rid of unsightly rust!!
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went by China Freight for some supplies. A new tarp. The old one is getting shredded by sandblasting. A mixing board for Bondo. A better dust mask ( used it and like it). Some funnels. A round and a half-round file. A 2" wire cup brush for cleaning the bushings out of the cradle. $55.47

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Third bag of sandblasting media from Tractor Supply. $8.75

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I cleaned up my old brake pads. I was surprised to see that the rust was coming back so quickly after only a couple of days. Question: Are the long ones different just because of brand differences or are they for different applications? After I did these, I started working on the sheet metal heat shield that mounts to the firewall. It is a VERY slow process but it is looking GREAT!! Pics of it later.

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates?

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The latest is that I was laid off two weeks ago. I spent the first week prepairing for my vacation. The second week, I took it. We had booked a Carnival cruise back in October so it was already paid for. We got back today so I'll be back in the garage tomorrow. I also have a nose surgery scheduled this coming week on Thursday and I hope it won't keep me down for very long. I'd like to take advantage of this time to really get a bunch done on the car. Wouldn't it be nice if work picked back up right as I was finishing up? I hope so. More pics and updates soon!

Thanks for watching!
Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I got back to work today. I'm still in the process of sandblasting. I seem to get board with the same thing every day so I switch what I'm working on to keep my motivation fresh. I worked mostly on the engine today.

Here is the Getrag. Looks almost new!

Here is the throttle body. It never looked this good before!

I don't know what this thing is called but it was pretty ugly before sandblasting.

Jonathan
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EGR valve
My87gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My87gtClick Here to visit My87gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to My87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After looking at all of your sandblasting I think I'm gonna order one tomorrow. Anybody recommend one setup ofer another on harbor freight?

------------------
White 88 Formula with factory T-TOPS. Number 1016 out of 1252

http://i1167.photobucket.co...35/My87gt/Sig1-1.jpg

[This message has been edited by My87gt (edited 06-04-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is nothing special. I think Central Pnumatic is the brand name for blaster and compressor. I found a 20% off coupon inside my Popular Science magazine. Prolly can find it in others.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

EGR valve

Yeah! That thing! Glad you're watching, I can't put off the electrical forever! LOL

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a couple more shots of the engine in progress. You can tell from earlier pics how dark it was with caked on oil. Look at the output side of the Getrag. Prior to the last time it was swapped, I spent a lot of time degreasing it. If it looked dirty in these early pics, you should have seen it last time. I had to use a putty knife in some parts! That's what a leaking distributor shaft seal and front main seal will get you. The distributor has been rebuilt with a new o-ring and a Camaro gasket so it is dry as a bone. I have a new front main seal but haven't done that swap yet. I can finally see what my engine looks like. I had been lead to believe that it was just a ball of grease but there's metal under there!

Jonathan

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your job, on the 'lighter' note, your sandblasting looks great!!

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had my nose surgery on Thursday and I got the packing out today. I feel MUCH better now! I can finally breathe through my nose without feeling like I'm out of breath. I had been thinking about a few things in my build and one of those things was my new shocks and struts. The shocks and struts that are still on back order to be more precise! Anyway, I started researching the cam bolts that are available for the struts. They are designed to be offset from center so when you turn them, the spacing between the strut and the knuckle changes. This allows the struts to be adjusted during a four-wheel alignment procedure more easily and more accurately. I had purchased two sets of new bolts from The Fiero Store so I'll be sending one set of them back. This will leave me with one regular bolt and one cam bolt for each strut. The lower bolt hole through the struts are slots and this is the position for the cam bolts. I got them at NAPA. Part number 264-3609. One bolt per kit so two kits in order to do both sides. $21.90

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-12-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My KONI's finally came in. Special Red 8040 Front and 8741 Rear. Reds are softer than Sport Yellow. From Tire Rack $554.38 shipped.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I smashed my axle seal (upper one in the pic from NAPA) so I had to buy another one. This time I got Timken. Autozone $10.17. I was using a 2" PVC coupler as my driver but it was just a bit too small. I'll dremmel it out a bit before I use it again. Also had to replace a missing socket from my tool set. 15mm 3/8" drive. Sears $4.15

Jonathan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock