Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  New problems, new solutions - Building a Frankenstein's '85 (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New problems, new solutions - Building a Frankenstein's '85 by Boostdreamer
Started on: 02-09-2012 11:23 PM
Replies: 224 (10535 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 05-12-2014 09:42 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't have the front that high so I had to raise the rear extra high. I hooked onto the bolt that holds the dogbone to the frame. If the trunk latch is strong enough to lift the car, I know that point is!

Jonathan

IP: Logged
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I got a furniture dolly at Home Depot. $19

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 02-18-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
Engine separated from the cradle. This is my best cradle and it is the original one from this car. It only has surface rust and grease to remove. I'll do that and paint it before I put the 2.8/Getrag on it. The first time I dropped this cradle, I had to cut the front bolts out. I used my 4-inch grinder and I got into the cradle bushing's metal sleeve just a hair. Other than that, it is pretty much like the rest of the car. Low mile and low wear and tear. Should clean up nice and give good service.

Jonathan

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
Here are the parts I have for the cradle. Black poly cradle and control arm bushings. Rodney's rear ball joints and rear inner and outer tie rods. I would normally use and recommend rubber bushings but the '84-87 rear suspension design has the potential for too much slop.

Jonathan

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
This is what I have for the front. Rodney's front inner and outer tie rods, upper adjustable ball joints, and one inch drop lower ball joints. I also have Moog brand front control arm bushings. All of my Rodney parts together were $395.75

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 05-04-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
One of my Moog K6163 bushings looks different than the other three. The left one is the one that's different. Any ideas about this? Wrong part? Different lot?

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 02-18-2012).]

CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure what to tell ya on the MOOG.

Did you get the rocker panels off yet?
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not yet. I spent the day pounding on some wrinkled sheet metal. We're going to have company on Saturday. A Fiero guy from Mountain City is coming by to buy my '88 steering rack and to see us remove the body panels. What time did you want to make it?

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was the big project yesterday. This corner of the trunk was split open and wrinkled up. I worked it over with my ball peen hammers and brought it to this point. Now I gotta seal and paint it.

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
Engine cradle de-greased.

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on the cradle. I was using an angle grinder with a tiger paw to remove the heaviest rust and the rough edges, etc. After that I switched to a wire brush wheel. I got into my fingers a little bit. It just took some skin off, nothing major. Didn't really bleed like a cut. Just one of those oozing cuts. Anyway, it was enough to stop me for the day. I should be able to finish cleaning the cradle today and post a pic of it.

Jonathan

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got back to the cradle. It still has some rust pits in it that I didn't want to grind out. Maybe I'll Bondo it. I've never used it before so it would be a learning experience and a chance to make my cradle look nice and smooth. Here's a pic with most of the paint removed. I'll hit it with my bead blaster before I paint in order to get into the tight spots.

Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

We're going to have company on Saturday. A Fiero guy from Mountain City is coming by to buy my '88 steering rack and to see us remove the body panels.

I appreciate you letting me come over and pick that up from you Jonathan...

Looking good on the build thread, and I know you're going to turn that 85 into a sweet ride! Subbing your thread for future reference.

Robert
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Axdrenalin:

I appreciate you letting me come over and pick that up from you Jonathan...

Looking good on the build thread, and I know you're going to turn that 85 into a sweet ride! Subbing your thread for future reference.

Robert

It was my pleasure! I hope we didn't keep your wife waiting too long! She seemed like a good sport. Tammy usually stays in the car when I'm on a quest for parts also. LOL. I'd really like for us and the other local guys to plan something this summer. Stay in touch.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car has very little rust and 99% of it is light surface stuff. Here's the exception to the rule. Although this battery tray is still solid enough to hold a battery, it's ugly and will need to be replaced eventually. I'd rather do it now than wait until it fails. As much fun as it would be for the battery to fall down into the belt and get sanded until it spewed acid all over the engine compartment, I'd rather just skip it.

The under side

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 02-27-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I have an original battery tray that I cut out of my first '87 before I crushed it. Notice the extra material on the left and right. I'll use my 4" grinder with a cutting disk to separate the unneeded portion and to remove the old rusty one from the car. Then I'll use self-tapping screws to secure this tray in place. If I decide to move the battery to the front when I put in my 3800, I'll be able to easily remove this one and sell it too.

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2012 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the front trunk of my '87. I'll be using anything in here that needs swapping. I made the carpet kit. It will look better if I tack it down here and there.

Nice! How tough was this to do? Cleans the area up nicely!

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was pretty easy, actually. I used small bits of notebook paper and taped them in place and covered the trunk. Then I pulled the paper out in one big sheet and used it as a pattern. I did it in three sections. Each fender and then the front section. In this pic, the flap from the left fender is in front when it should be behind. Thanks for the compliment!

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2012 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a Photoshop of my paint scheme idea done by 85SEnochie. I love it!

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what kind of "Carpet" did you use for that ? Looks great !
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice indeed. Is it going to be a fastback, or was that all that just easier. The lines changing change some of the looks with paint.
Brad
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The carpet was something I picked up in Walmart or maybe Advance. It was nothing special. Just advertised as "trunk carpet" or something. Pretty cheap too.

The car will not be a fastback. It was easier to use that car for the photoshop. I bought a spray gun from China Freight yesterday so I'm planning to shoot it myself. First timer!

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He made meone, andman it looks awesome, I recommend one for you too. really cleans things up!!
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The carpet was something I picked up in Walmart or maybe Advance. It was nothing special. Just advertised as "trunk carpet" or something. Pretty cheap too.

The car will not be a fastback. It was easier to use that car for the photoshop. I bought a spray gun from China Freight yesterday so I'm planning to shoot it myself. First timer!

Jonathan

As a first timer I wouldn't recommend black, it's one of the most difficult colors to lay down, shows every little tiny itty bitty mistake. Could you practice on something first? Like another car?
Brad
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can definately practice. With 3 Fieros, I have plenty of canvas to hone my skill. Its got to be black! That's all I want. There is no second choice. I just want to do single stage and wet sand. I did paint one car (shown here) black with the roll-on Rustoleum method. If I had buffed it, I think it could have looked decent for what it was.

I don't know about doing the stripes, though. Should I paint them or have vinyl ones made? If vinyl, would they need to be clearcoated?

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vynle is very hard to line up in all aspects. I woud suggest painting them on. it looks sharper and they can be lined up easier.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one job I don't think I want to do. I'd farm that one out for sure!

Jonathan
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the stripes. Don't drop them.

Black cars look fantastic...

when clean.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 03-19-2012).]

Axdrenalin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Black cars look fantastic... when clean.

Yes they do, and keeping them clean is indeed the challenge! Black has always been one of my favorite colors on a car...

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We'll get those panels off sunday
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as I don't have to work. I'm on twelves now and in a shutdown. I'm SUPPOSED to be off this weekend but who knows until the last minute.

Jonathan

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

We'll get those panels off sunday

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just call me and let me know if things change
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've not worked on the car in a while. My Vmax has been the center of my attention lately. I finally got the battery and lighting problems solved and I got a good start on detailing it. I haven't forgotten my little Fiero, though. I think about it every day and I even made a few more purchases for it. I bought an 8 mil smooth and clear shower curtain to make vapor barriers for the doors. I found a source for the jute padding material that goes under the carpet. Prolly gonna order it tomorrow. I bought some rubber self-adhesive material to replace the dried out stuff on the duct work. I ordered a tube of black butyl rubber that will be used to seal some seams, put on the door's plastic barriers, and to install the winshield surround and rear clip. AND...drum roll please...I just placed my order for Koni shocks and struts! Got em' for the best price I've ever seen them. $554 shipped from Tirerack.com. I believe that sale lasts thru the end of April or May.

I'll get back to work and post more pics soon!

Jonathan
Axdrenalin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look forward to seeing your updates and progress on this...

Robert
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got started on the process of removing the engine from the black '87. If you don't remember, I'll be using it first to get the car running and work the bugs out with. This '85 hasn't been operational in over 10 years! When I'm satisfied that it is working correctly and reliably, I'll do the '88 cradle swap. When that is done, I'll turn my attention to the L67 and whatever it takes to get it in. It will probably be next spring before I do the cradle or L67 swaps. While my Fiero is down, I'll be doing daily duty on my motorcycle. We have a 15 year old who turns 16 in May and he will end up driving the BMW that I have been driving. So with that in mind, I'll be waiting for decent weather before I do anything big. Soon it will be nice to pull the car in and out of the garage under its own power! That will make small winter projects much more comfortable.

Tomorrow I'll pass the wiring harness through the firewall, disconnect the two brake calipers and the e-brake, and remove the passenger side engine coolant hose. That's all that's left before I drop the cradle and all. Once the engine is out I'll be busy with several chores associated with it before I plug it into the '85. I have to put in a new axle seal on the drivers side. Replace the stock exhaust manifolds with another pair of stock manifolds that have been ported. And I have to change the front main seal. I'll probably clean it up a bit too.

There really isn't much new to show so no pics. Hopefully I can show you that the engine is out tomorrow!

Jonathan
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Easter, when we taking those panels off?
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's perfect. Go for it!
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Easter! How about this coming weekend? No plans so far.

Jonathan

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

Happy Easter, when we taking those panels off?

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

That's perfect. Go for it!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I'm thinking that the gray will be a bit darker and the yellow will be more of a gold. I have GT wheels and I had planned to paint them black but gray matching the stripes might look better. Also it is a notchie but this is a great illustration of what will be. Does anyone think that a tan interior will look out of place with black/gray/gold paint? Also, what color for the brake calipers? I'm thinking silver since there's not much visibility thru GT wheels anyway. Might as well let them blend in with the disks.

Jonathan

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock