Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project by Rodney
Started on: 12-02-2011 09:26 AM
Replies: 246 (12267 views)
Last post by: 0z on 01-28-2019 09:56 PM
FieroDan86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question for you Rodney. Is this a limited run that we need to buy now while you have them or do you plan on keeping these going once your initial run is sold out? And thanks for doing this project and all of the other parts you provide to keep our favorite little cars on the road!
IP: Logged
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This I do not know. I had 500 made. Once they get mostly sold I'll see if this company is still in business and if they are I'll do another order. They are holding the dies. You just never know what will happen in the future. These 500 will probably last more than a few years?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

FieroDan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDan86Send a Private Message to FieroDan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rodney, good to know. I definitely want two of those for my 283,000 mile original bearing replacements (but who really knows if they are the originals being that I am the fourth owner!) when I do the complete front suspension overhaul sometime soon. Right now money is a little tight so it will have to wait. But two of those bearings and just about every other 88 front suspension piece you sell are on my list!
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Rodney,

You mentioned in another thread that you might be able to put together a rubber bushing set for the '88 rear suspension. Is that project still on the table? I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I figure the same folks will be interested in both products.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Bushing available, see here for info:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121294.html

edited to include correct link to rubber bushing - poly is available from Rockauto or Fiero Store.

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

The info in that thread is incomplete. Rodney, are you still looking into supplying a rubber bushing kit?

Jonathan

I hate to sound like a broken record...

Jonathan

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to do that bushing soon. I started on it last week. But it will take more than a few months to get some in hand. But I'm finally working on it.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm going to do that bushing soon. I started on it last week. But it will take more than a few months to get some in hand. But I'm finally working on it.

Sweet! Thanks. I'll prolly end up getting at least two sets.

Jonathan

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Racers... how are these holding up?

I'm holding out on buying a pair until I hear how they are doing at the track with race tires..
v8tony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for v8tonySend a Private Message to v8tonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any feedback on how they hold up in racing? I have to put bearing on my ITA 1988 Formula and this sure looks good...

Tony
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a pair of these hubs in last week. Will be going on our LeMons car, first extended race scheduled for the end of next month. Look to be good, quality parts. We have eaten a couple used hubs in the past and look to solve that point of failure with these units.

Thanks to Rodney for extending himself in sourcing these parts.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DonP:

Got a pair of these hubs in last week. Will be going on our LeMons car, first extended race scheduled for the end of next month. Look to be good, quality parts. We have eaten a couple used hubs in the past and look to solve that point of failure with these units.

Thanks to Rodney for extending himself in sourcing these parts.

How'd the race go, Don? Wheel bearings hold up?
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to ask the same question myself.
I need a set for my autocrosser and am waiting patiently for an update.
Well guys, how they holding up?
PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

Currently on my last set of OEM front bearings... it would be really nice to know how the new ones are holding up under race use.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kind of odd that there's been so little feedback. Has there been any?

Now that I've acquired an '88 Formula (which I plan to autocross), I'd like to know if we currently have a viable option for front wheel bearings.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knowing Rodney's stuff, I'm pretty sure this is one of those "no news is good news" kind of deals..

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I have heard I have sold them to 3 who race. I heard back from one that the covers will in time come off so I added to my web page to watch for that or tack weld them on or something. Past that I have not heard anything which to me means there have been no problems. These are very HD. I would have to take the cover off one and count but that have a very large number of tapered bearings in them. This means each roller bearing takes only a small amount of the load. These three have used them most if not all this summer and have multiple runs on them.
------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 11-28-2013).]

mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was waiting to hear.
I am on my last pair of OEM hubs and will need something in the near future for my autocrosser.
Right now it's up on blocks awaiting the winter tear down and the removal of that ever elusive last few pounds of un-needed weight.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Knowing Rodney's stuff, I'm pretty sure this is one of those "no news is good news" kind of deals..

Hey, I love Rodney's stuff. I'm a satisfied customer myself.

It's the people who have tried these bearings that I'm a little disappointed in. They gotta know that the rest of us would appreciate some feedback on their experience (good or bad) with this new product.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Kind of odd that there's been so little feedback. Has there been any?

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From what I have heard I have sold them to 3 who race. I heard back from one that the covers will in time come off so I added to my web page to watch for that or tack weld them on or something. Past that I have not heard anything which to me means there have been no problems. These are very HD. I would have to take the cover off one and count but that have a very large number of tapered bearings in them. This means each roller bearing takes only a small amount of the load. These three have used them most if not all this summer and have multiple runs on them.

Thanks for the update! Going to order some soon for next season.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

It's the people who have tried these bearings that I'm a little disappointed in. They gotta know that the rest of us would appreciate some feedback on their experience (good or bad) with this new product.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

If there were problems with them you would be hearing all about it here. So no news I guess is good news.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If there were problems with them you would be hearing all about it here. So no news I guess is good news.

I suppose so, but it's still a little disappointing not see even one short review by a new user for a product the ('88) Fiero community has been waiting quite a while for.

Thanks Rodney, I appreciate your products!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More than a few might be buying them and not installing them. Just to have a set on hand for future use.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More than a few might be buying them and not installing them. Just to have a set on hand for future use.

That's exactly what I did.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pair on my car... unfortunately, it has rolled off the lift, onto a trailer and into my garage... not a whole lot feedback to be given. They fit nice!

I am hoping this spring I'll be back on the road with the car after I get the F23 stuff finished.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 12-03-2013).]

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have them on my car, but have put very little mileage on the car. I can say the critical dimensions are exactly the same as the original 88s bearings. And that they have been working just fine so far. Also, it has a nice FAT flange, which I can appreciate.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do they come with lug studs installed?

Are those stock length lug studs?
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Do they come with lug studs installed?

Are those stock length lug studs?

Yes, the lug studs were installed, knowing Rodney the studs are most likely the stock length. I didn't think to measure.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just placed my order for a pair.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two bearings now, which I installed extended studs (ARP 100-7708) in. The hole has to be reamed out a bit to meet ARP's 0.005" interference fit spec for steel/iron hubs. It seems that Rodney's new hubs will accept the same studs as the stock hubs, which means you can use the same ARP 100-7708 studs or the longer Dorman 610-323 studs (which fit without reaming).

Unfortunately I forgot to loctite or tackweld the grease cover on as Rodney suggested for track use. The cover came loose during a weekend at the track. I'm running 200 treadwear summer tires. It's probably heat from braking that makes the covers loosen up, rather than distortion from cornering. I don't have much grip up front. Despite the cover coming off and the bearing grease being replaced with rocks, dirt, and brake dust, the bearing lasted the rest of the weekend and the drive home, and with the grit removed and fresh grease in it, I'll probably keep it as a backup. It doesn't have any play in it. Nice durability!

Anyway, I tackwelded the cover on my second hub so it doesn't suffer the same fate, and ordered a new hub to replace the one that got dirt in it. It may be possible to use a retaining compound rather than tackwelding. The original GM hubs used some kind of orange retaining compound. However, that would require popping the cover off, whereas tackwelding just required brushing off the zinc coating and zapping it with a TIG torch.

I'll post updates here later in the year when I have more track hours on the hubs.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I burned up a brand new Rodney Dickman bearing last weekend at the track. :-( It started the weekend brand new, and after about 50 laps later it had about 0.1mm of play and some metal powder mixed with the grease (I took the cover off to inspect). I still have one more brand new bearing to try, but it seems these may not be OK for track use under high G, high speed cornering conditions (~1.2 Gs at 90 mph).

Note that I did still drive 120 miles home on the bearing without any issues, and I'll still drive it around on this bearing (limited street use, no autox or track) until my next track day when I'll put on the new one. The bearings are probably strong enough for street use, but may not suitable for the race track. I'll post another update here about how the new one holds up. I'll try to check it after each session to see what's happening. Also I'm not sure how long the original GM wheel bearings last but I have play in all of mine by now. Even the GM parts may not last more than a few track weekends.

I'm curious about what the other racers are doing. Racetrack speeds, tire compound, etc..

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 06-06-2014).]

mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been racing and autocrossing my 88 formula for the last 12 years.
Do about 2 track days a year here in CT and PA.
12+ autocross' per season as well.
Tried the Fiero Store bearings when they were first offered and they were toasted after 1 track day.
Fortunately Bob Parker (Kick Hill Farm) has been able to scrounge up a few original bearings for me over the past few years and I have 4 in inventory.
They normally last me 2-3 seasons before I need to change them out.
car is totally gutted and my own custom built coil overs at each corner, Running R comps (Kuhmo V710 mostly but just switched to Hancook Ventus 214)
Curb weight is 2240#
Don't know what to do when these run out????????????
May have to build that too
Getting a bit tiring having to conjure up and re-engineering all this stuff from time to time
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RE: Cap/Cover problem....

Brake heat will heat bearings and disk brakes are well know for that. AutoX etc get more bearing heat and brake heat to deal with.

Racing could heat Trap air and grease expand enough to blow the cap.

Is common to blow off bearing caps or seal or leaking grease in normal spindles because of air/grease expansion. Extra Grease because many think more grease is always better does same thing and worse, can cause brake problem if grease runs and contaminate brake parts.

Maybe Drilling a very small hole in center of the cap to vent air can help fixing that for race use but doing that for street use can let water/dirt in the bearings. Bearing won't last long when that happens. Hopefully Street use likely won't have heat expansion issues.

Note that Most Companies void warranty for parts used for racing. Many will void any warranty for commercial use.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

...it seems these may not be OK for track use under high G, high speed cornering conditions (~1.2 Gs at 90 mph).

The bearings are probably strong enough for street use, but may not suitable for the race track.

Disappointing news, but thanks for the feedback.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these chinese made? IE Made in China?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney uses quality ISO900x suppliers, and I don't think any of them are in China. I know some are in Taiwan.
George P Wood

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was one of those that bought the new bearings ahead of time a little over a year ago.
I don't race, but don't baby the car either. The bearings only have 1000 miles on them since I don't drive the Fiero a lot.
So far no problems and as others have said I don't expect any.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Rodney uses quality ISO900x suppliers, and I don't think any of them are in China. I know some are in Taiwan.

China has more ISO900x certificates than any other country. There is no more Taiwan, Taiwan is China.

So, are the bearings made in China?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This guy just don';t like me and he found another place to get to me. I always thought he was Chris Wests son. Chris Wests kid used to be on the forum. At one point he went away and this name showed up soon after. sardonyx247 Having dealt with Chris Wests kid who does not like me this sardonyx247 seems to be that same guy. So sardonyx247 are you Chris Wests son??

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

China has more ISO900x certificates than any other country. There is no more Taiwan, Taiwan is China.

So, are the bearings made in China?

Just wondering.... why does it matter? Are you going to buy the 88' front bearings somewhere else?

-Mitch
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

There is no more Taiwan, Taiwan is China.

Only the people in China think that way. The Taiwanese certainly don't.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This guy just don';t like me and he found another place to get to me. I always thought he was Chris Wests son. Chris Wests kid used to be on the forum. At one point he went away and this name showed up soon after. sardonyx247 Having dealt with Chris Wests kid who does not like me this sardonyx247 seems to be that same guy. So sardonyx247 are you Chris Wests son??

LOL you called me West's son before, I told you then that I wasn't.

Why does this question get to you, do low quality chinese parts bother you too?

It is a viable question to ask if they are made in china.

Why are you avoiding the question?

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Just wondering.... why does it matter? Are you going to buy the 88' front bearings somewhere else?

-Mitch

And where will I buy 88 front hubs? The Fiero store hubs, from eBearing, are made in the USA.
Why does it matter, I don't like seeing US jobs sent to china, sweat shops probably, and low quality parts.
When your wheel falls off and kills someone you love and care about, due to low quality parts, does it matter?

Besides rodney aren't you afraid of being sued when a bearing fails and causes a crash?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock