Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Definitive info on rubber bushings for the 88 rear suspension (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Definitive info on rubber bushings for the 88 rear suspension by thedrue
Started on: 02-25-2012 02:57 AM
Replies: 44 (3137 views)
Last post by: Rodney on 09-14-2013 09:35 AM
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have replaced the rubber bushings in my rear 88 suspension links. New parts were discontinued a long time ago and there does not seem to be a place with all the info. I want to share the part numbers I used as well as how I went about it, sit back, relax and I hope this helps someone out!

This is my completed set of 88 suspension links, Just need to clean them up and get some fresh paint on those bad boys.

Toe link:
The toe link is the simplest part to recondition. I will start there.

Moog part number K6170. This is the Moog parts I ordered off rock auto. It is the bushing for the front top control arm for the 84-87 suspension. These are a direct swap and can be pressed into the link after the originals have been pressed out. I rented a ball joint press and all the adapters, between the parts in the kit and a few sockets I had no trouble pressing the bushings into all the links

Lateral link:
This gave me some grief. Those were designed to be replaced as a unit and are not serviceable. There is no outer sleeve and the rubber is pressed directly into the link. I discovered that the K6170 bushings I used for the toe links will press into the lateral links, however with the rim on the bushing it will not protrude out the other side far enough. I decided to modify the links a little so I can use these conventional press in bushings instead of removing the bushings from the sleeves and trying to get the rubber directly into the links.

Here is how I accomplished this

I forgot to take a pic comparing the link with the new bushing, but first I cut off one side of the link to shorten the tube the bushing fits into. This allows me to bottom the bushing out and have enough sticking through so there is no metal to metal contact.

Once the link is cut the bushing can just be pressed in!

Now the bushing can work like normal and in another 20 years I can replace it easily by simply pressing this out and a new one in.
I test fit the new links and I do not think the slight offset will cause an trouble but only time will tell. The bushing is not centered perfectly like the original but I do not have any concerns.

Radius rods:
I started out by buying Moog K6178. They are the bushings that were recommended and are a fairly close fit, but there were some problems. Instead of outlining all the issues now I will just move on to what I finally ended up doing. I got on ebay and bought just the radius rod bushings that are for sale. This cost me about double what the Moog bushings cost but saved a boatload of time and effort.

This is one of the new bushings next to an original.

Another shot of a new bushing next to an installed one.
The replacement bushings are marked TENNECO and are made in china, of course. Part number 701930. They appear to be quality parts and once installed look like the will work very well.

The installation was easier than I was anticipating. Once the old bushings are removed I just took my ball joint press and set it up so the sleeve of the bushing is being pressed. I lubed it liberally with silicone lube and the bushing just slid in! by pressing on the sleeve the bushing flexes and compresses but I did have to overshoot my target to get the bushing set and then push the opposite way to center the sleeve.

This is how I set up the ball joint press and the bushing and radius rod.

This is what things look like when the bushing is pressed in.

This is why you have to overshoot the bushing a little, to get the outer collar seated. Then just turn the link around and press it back till it centers.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Here is a quick comparison between the original and new.

Once again, all 6 links with all new bushings!

Hope this helps, let me know if there is any other way I can help explain things.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could get rubber bushings in press in steel sleeves made for the long 88 trailing arms. Maybe it is time now to get those made.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is interesting that Tenneco is the parent company of Clevite (oem trailing link bushings), as well as Walker, DynoMax, Thrush, Monroe and Rancho, plus several others companies I hadn't heard to before.
http://www.tenneco.com/our_brands/clevite/
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

It is interesting that Tenneco is the parent company of Clevite (oem trailing link bushings), as well as Walker, DynoMax, Thrush, Monroe and Rancho, plus several others companies I hadn't heard to before.
http://www.tenneco.com/our_brands/clevite/

I always thought Clevite bearings seemed cheap looking and feeling. There ownership confirms it for me, if i can compare it to it's sister companies. They do their job, but not much else, and not for long.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you tell me what you used to search on E Bay to locate the Tenneco 701930 radius rod bushings. I was on ebay trying to find me a pair, and have bombed out.

And thanks for a great 'How To'

-Joe

Just did a Google search for Tenneco 701930, and got a hit on your thread here.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 02-25-2012).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

I want to share the part numbers I used as well as how I went about it ...

Moog part number K6170 (lateral links and toe links)
TENNECO part number 701930 (trailing links)

Thanks very much for posting this information.

Can you tell us how much you had to remove from the lateral links (original dimension vs. final dimension)? This would be useful information.

Here is a link to the presumed eBay vendor you used. I wonder if he is present on PFF and lists any of his stuff in the Mall. If not, I wonder why not.

Edit: Vendor confirmed by thedrue.

Originally posted by Rodney:

I could get rubber bushings in press in steel sleeves made for the long 88 trailing arms. Maybe it is time now to get those made.

In the meantime, you might just contact the Clevite Elastomers Division of Tenneco, in Monroe, MI. The bushings for the trailing arms are probably OEM parts, so they may not be available through the normal aftermarket distribution channels, but I'm sure you could arrange a volume purchase unless they are a proprietary (i.e. custom manufactured) part.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-25-2012).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

In the meantime, you might just contact the Clevite Elastomers division of Tenneco, in Monroe, MI. The bushings for the trailing arms are probably OEM parts, so they may not be available through the normal aftermarket distribution channel, but I'm sure you could arrange a volume purchase.

The rubber was cast into the steel arms. They are not replaceable. They do not have an outer steel sleeve. If I make them they would be in steel sleeves and press into the trailing arms like other bushings do.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The rubber was cast into the steel arms. They are not replaceable.

Maybe in some, but not all. I have pressed the bushings out of a set of '88 trailing links and they came out cleanly enough that I didn't even have to wire brush the bores. I used a hydraulic press, because that is what I had available, but (from memory) the force required didn't seem much higher than for the lateral links. I'll see if I can post some useful pictures.

Perhaps the OEM bushings were pressed in and then vulcanized to bond them in place.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-25-2012).]

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney I think replacement bushings would be great, if you made them I would have bought them! A simple press in bushing would be great. The ones I used were surprisingly easy to install though. I really thought I would have to fight more with them. Not sure what they are for but the guy on ebay is very proud of them and is tight lipped about where he sources them.

As for the lateral links and how much I cut off I did not really measure. I cut them pretty much flush with the welded on bar. But I was careful not to cut the weld. It would have been nice to get the bushing more centered but that would have required cutting the weld and I did not want to do that. Perhaps if the links were welded in the inside more material could have been removed.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thedrue

1104 posts
Member since Feb 2009
http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...xp=mtr#ht_500wt_1141

This is the ebay link I bought from. Great transaction and fast shipping but definitely pricey!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/198...xp=mtr#ht_500wt_1141

This is the ebay link I bought from. Great transaction and fast shipping but definitely pricey!

Thanks. They were listed in 'Other' suspension parts.
-Joe
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thedrue, I'm assuming you did not want poly bushings because it would too harsh of a ride? I installed poly in mine, and I do not find it too harsh, and that is with 300lb coilover springs.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2012 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, just some info on bushings and 88 fiero related. The rear sway-bar bushings are made by Clevite. (that's what I discovered on my "original" 88GT)

They may be still available but sleeping on a shelf somewhere and not being used or cross-referenced for another car.

I can get the part number that was marked on the bushing itself if anyone is interested.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One stop shopping would be nice. A full set would be my next order from you. I'll be putting my '88 cradle into my '85 later this year.

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Hey guys, just some info on bushings and 88 fiero related. The rear sway-bar bushings are made by Clevite. (that's what I discovered on my "original" 88GT)

They may be still available but sleeping on a shelf somewhere and not being used or cross-referenced for another car.

I can get the part number that was marked on the bushing itself if anyone is interested.

I can get these made also if there is enough demand.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, since the rear swaybar bushings and the front have been dis-continued for years, it would definatly a good idea to have them produced.

Alot of 88 stuff isn't available anymore. The front bar is 28mm and the rear is 22mm. I had to get a bushing from a Cavalier and trim the outside for it to fit the bushing clamp.

jelly2m8 would have more technical info on that, since he's the one that did it.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 02-26-2012).]

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the rubber because I have had poly for several years and although it works well I have had some squeaking issues. I hate squeaks. My car has very stiff suspensIon and is set up for performance, not cruising but I do hope to tone down the road noise a bit. There is not much movement in these bushings anyway so i expect new rubber bushInge to be a great improvement over warn out rubber bushings and the longevity and ease of maintenance outweighs any slight performance gain from the polys.

Also corvettes and vipers and most other performance cars use rubber bushings so if they're good enough for those cars I think they are good enough for my fiero. I also plan on removing the poly from the front of my car and installing new rubber bushings in the near future.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread, using this info right now. Thanks thedrue!
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can get these made also if there is enough demand.

I would be interested in a few sets.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to start on these soon. It will take more than a few months. I should have no problem getting them made.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info!

I see a differential in one of the pictures. Is that out of a Getrag 5 speed? I have to replace the output bearings on my 88GT Getrag and am gathering info, parts, and the courage to crack the case. Any insights you'd like to share on thie subject?

Thanks,

Carroll
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the differential out of my last transmission. It is indeed a gerag 5 speed but that one suffered a catastrophic fate when the spider gears exploded and blew big holes in the transmission. I did indeed split the case but it was not to replace any bearings! I have a later model getrag with upgraded differential now and things are holding up fine. Its what I get for driving a turbo 3.4 the way its meant to be driven...
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am going to start on these soon. It will take more than a few months. I should have no problem getting them made.

"If you build it, it will sell!"

Will you also offer a poly option? I'll probably be rebuilding the rear end of my Formula in a year or two (along with a 3500 block swap). It would be nice to have as much as possible available to buy somewhere.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney I also will purchase a set if you offer them up. Having them go in the correct way is a big +. I would like to refresh the rear of my 88.
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if you build it they will sell

[This message has been edited by gtxbullet (edited 03-23-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@ THEDRUE - So the bushings in the pics are the TENNECO parts and not the MOOG K6178. How similar were these two parts to each other? I assume you didn't take a comparison pic of the two. Did you happen to take a pic of the MOOG part by itself? Can you tell us what the major problem was that caused you to order the second set of bushings? Have you installed the links and do they seem to be working well?

@ Rodney - Are you still moving forward with this project? I'm still interested in a set.

Jonathan
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the difference between the Moog K6178 bushings and the eBay ones? Curious as they should be the same as it is my understanding that the K6178 bushing fit the trailing arm, Moog part number K5305.

At least that was the number I had listed in my notes from when I bought a set for myself (could be I had several numbers and kept the wrong one during my search). The ones I used on my car look like the ones you posted above in the first post.

What I did for the lateral links was press the rubber out of the metal sleeve that it came with and just press the rubber into the lateral link - saves having to cut the one side down.

As for the eBay guy, even if they are different he is not likely going to give up the information freely when he can make a killing selling them on eBay since he has the market cornered.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-05-2012).]

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the late response. I ordered 2 boxes of the K6178 from Rock Auto to use in the trailing arms, both boxes contained the same bushings and were labeled with the right part numbers.

They may be able to be used but when I looked at them the inner tube is too long and has a smaller diameter. The trailing arm bolt cannot pass through, It would have to be drilled or something, also a longer bolt would probably need to be used.

This is the best picture I have, although they may work I decided to just order the right ones on Ebay and not worry about it. That is what I suggest, that is of course until Rodney sells them.

I did try installing one of the MOOG bushing anyway, I pressed it out of the sleeve and pressed the inner tube out and got it in the control arm. However I could not get the Fiero inner sleeve in for anything. It is thicker and there was just not enough compliance in the rubber. Also the bushing would have been way too wide and stuck out the sides of the arm.

This shows the difference between the Fiero sleeve and the MOOG sleeve.

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 06-06-2012).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply - damit, must have kept the wrong part number then (sorry about that).

Back to square one - have to figure this out again...
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update?
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well. The update is that everything works as its supposed to! Car feels great and the 88 rear suspension is great!

I will be doing this exact thing to another car soon. Should turn out great!
PFF
System Bot
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you were going to relook at part numbers or was that someone else I'm thinking of

[This message has been edited by n7vrz (edited 07-26-2012).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well. The update is that everything works as its supposed to! Car feels great and the 88 rear suspension is great!

I will be doing this exact thing to another car soon. Should turn out great!

So you bought bushings on eBay and not the complete trailing arms, correct? What did you have to pay for the bushings?

Any word from Rodney on an '88 bushing package?

Jonathan

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought just the trailing arm bushings on eBay. They were $99 for all 4. A little pricey but very easy to work with and had the correct sleeves. That is what a recommend unless someone finds a better option. I will not be looking for a substitute since those worked great.

Hopefully Rodney makes a bushing kit. His parts will be perfect and the price will be very reasonable.
88FieroDogs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroDogsSend a Private Message to 88FieroDogsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work! Thank you for posting all of this TheDrue, continuing with helping people out I will post what I have found as far as part #'s.

I have spent most of my day tracking down the correct part #'s for the bushings.

Based on the Trailing Arm bushings you purchased from the gentleman on eBay here is what the guys at Tenneco gave me:

Tenneco # you gave - 701930
Moog - K200102
Napa - 2749356

Cheapest price as of this post Rock Auto at $7.65 a piece

Next up is the Toe Link which as I understand it is:

Moog - K6170
Pretty cheap everywhere, comes in a set of 2.

Finally I've struck out on finding the Lateral Link Bushing on their own, so the best option may be to do the above cutting with the K6170 bushings that are used on the Toe Links.

I've found the original part # if anyone is interested at GMPartsEast.com for the whole Lateral Link:

Pontiac Part #: 106789
According to image plate: 2P07-009 012690

This can be found by punching in 88 Fiero into their parts lookup, the weird thing is that it won't pull it up if you just enter the above part # in their system.

Unfortunately it doesn't cross over to anything else and the people at Federal Mogul and Tenneco weren't any help. If anybody has any idea of where to continue the search please let me know. My Lateral Link had several #'s stamped into it in case it helps.

side of it: KF1548
Side of the bushing: KF52

The guy on eBay must have the right part #'s to remanufacture the Lateral Links if anyone has purchased a set please post the # on the side of the bushings here.

Thanks,

Shelby

carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like you guys are getting pretty close to figuring this out. I am the guy selling the trailing arm bushings and rebuilt suspension kits on Ebay. You guys are correct with the K200102 trailing arm bushing however the hole where the bolt goes though is too large and requires a sleeve that can be seen in one of thedrue's pictures. These bushings are very easy to press in and look just like OEM when installed. The toe link bushings are the K6170 upper control arm bushings. That is common knowledge. The lateral link bushings are also the K6170 but I like to do it the same as the stock bushings without the metal case so I press the rubber out of the k6170 metal case then press the inner sleeve out of the rubber. I then press the k6170 inner metal sleeve inside another sleeve to increase the outer cicumference then press that back into the rubber to make a nice tight fit inside the lateral link. This is how it appears to have been done at the factory and is not very easy to do without destroying a few rubber bushings in the process. I have a 1 ton arbor press which makes it a little easier. The original inner sleeve used will not expand the rubber enough though. If you guys like I can try to do a how to wright up on it but as you can see this is my first post. FYI I have not been trying to corner the market or exploiting an opportunity as some here on PFF have suggested. I have simply been trying to provide a quality product to the Fiero community. This is a all day project at least especially when sandblasting and repainting everything and parts are nearly $150 when all is said and done not including what I have to pay for cores. After Paypal and Ebay get thier cut I make far less per hour than what my time is really worth not to mention my costs incurred trying to come up with this solution.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes please! How to's are very popular here! Welcome to the Forum!

Jonathan
carguy8t8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carguy8t8Send a Private Message to carguy8t8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to make another set soon so I will take some pictures and try to get a "how to thread" on here soon. I may also start listing them in the mall.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Welcome. I've long wondered who it was out there doing this. Thanks for popping in! I am very happy wih your product and was very pleased with your lateral link bushings!

I am very curious how you work with the bushings. I failed miserably with the lateral links first time around that I just used them with the sleeves as I demonstrated.

Thanks for your hard work! Sorry if I let too many secrets out.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to see if you guys have had any new breakthroughs!

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock