Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1227165 ecu with custom code much better than stock ecu. (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
1227165 ecu with custom code much better than stock ecu. by chetw77cruiser
Started on: 10-16-2011 09:57 PM
Replies: 257 (15513 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 10-28-2023 11:31 AM
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And pretty much most/all? of what they are talking about is doing this with the 2.8 v6 and distributor, not the four with a distributor, and not the four with the DIS.
IP: Logged
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

And pretty much most/all? of what they are talking about is doing this with the 2.8 v6 and distributor, not the four with a distributor, and not the four with the DIS.

I have this ECM setup on the SD4 with distributor and running a FAST EFI throttle body.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com...re-working-on-it-%29

Later... I changed clutch and transmission and built a multi-port FI system for the ECM.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-6.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-14-2019).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the fact that this appears to be every part as effective as a '7730 swap.

The code is based on $12P for the Delco '808, which is the Holden crippled '165.

The $12P code itself: https://pcmhacking.net/foru...topic.php?f=27&t=356
The NVRAM board: https://pcmhacking.net/foru...opic.php?f=14&t=3612
Chet's 2.8 tune: https://pcmhacking.net/foru...p?f=7&t=375&start=10 bottom of the page.

I'll likely go down this avenue for my 3.4 soon and will report back later if anyone is interested.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Question for Tony (fierosound) or anybody else who'd care to comment...

Is it worthwhile going this route for an '88 Formula 2.8 5-spd with 1:6 roller-tip rockers and ported exhaust manifolds?

This car has always appeared to run fine, but I can't help but wonder if an ECU tweak might allow it to run "finer".

It's not something I'm wanting to do anytime soon, but I thought it best to ask now to help prevent this thread from becoming archived.
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Patrick this ecm upgrade is easier to do as you have less wires to move. The software is has more options like running boost or higher resolution tables on fuel and spark 9600 rpm. There are other options like flex fuel or flat shifting but these are all things that add to the learning curve. The tuning is a little bit different but the end result for me was great being able to tune without removing chips makes so much easier. I suggest download tunerpro and the othor links from above and check it out. They have a pdf of beginners and advanced tuning read through them and check out the forum then make your decision. Have fun
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jdv:

Hi Patrick this ecm upgrade is easier to do as you have less wires to move.

jdv, you've lost me with the first sentence! Which ECM upgrade is "easier to do" than which ECM upgrade?

jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with the 7165 you use the stock ecm tray and you have to move i think 4 wires.
Note to self don't post in the middle of the night when you wake up to get something to drink.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Question for Tony (fierosound) or anybody else who'd care to comment...

Is it worthwhile going this route for an '88 Formula 2.8 5-spd with 1:6 roller-tip rockers and ported exhaust manifolds?
This car has always appeared to run fine, but I can't help but wonder if an ECU tweak might allow it to run "finer".

With the few mods you have, the stock computer can handle that no problem.

The 7165 ECM is a faster processor (8192 baud vs 160 baud) and requires a wideband O2 sensor.
Ultimately, all you may notice is that the engine will be rid of that "hunting idle" we sometimes have.

You'd need the 1227165 ECM, the NVRAM board, and a Wideband O2 sensor for the install.
Then TunerPro RT and correct files.
Get the 12-pin ALDL interface. http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-27-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

With the few mods you have, the stock computer can handle that no problem.
Ultimately, all you may notice is that the engine will be rid of that "hunting idle" we sometimes have.

Tony, I've never had a hunting idle... so it would appear that perhaps it wouldn't be worth the hassle to swap out the stock ECU.

If the HP won't be doubled and/or the MPG tripled, what would be the point?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2020 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If the HP won't be doubled and/or the MPG tripled, what would be the point?

I agree.

Now with my Indy, I needed something that I could program to control the MPFI system I built.
A carburetor is basically a controlled fuel leak, so the computer controlled fuel injection is working much better.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-01-2020).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2023 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been away for quite a while. You know, life and all that.
Who is out there still using this and how has it worked for you?

Chet W.
PFF
System Bot
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2023 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Chet, about ready to install on my 88 2.5 just need to crimp the ends on the connectors. Need to mount my cnp ignition.

[This message has been edited by jdv (edited 10-24-2023).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2023 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chetw77cruiser:

Been away for quite a while. You know, life and all that.
Who is out there still using this and how has it worked for you?

Chet W.

Hey there Chet.

Still running this on both my cars. Working very well.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...L/000077-7.html#p263

I'm just worried the power cell in the Dallas chip on the daughterboard will die soon.
I need to get my BIN programmed onto a Memcal before then.
.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-24-2023).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2023 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point on battery life. If I remember correctly, the battery in this is good for about 10 years. Luckily they are still available for about 40 greenbacks at Mouser electronics.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2023 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chetw77cruiser:

Good point on battery life. If I remember correctly, the battery in this is good for about 10 years. Luckily they are still available for about 40 greenbacks at Mouser electronics.

Yes... but I don't have a programmer to set it up for use.

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2023 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me dig my gear out. I may be able to take care of that for you or anyone else that needs it done.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2023 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Yes... but I don't have a programmer to set it up for use.

Hi Tony - I have a programmer so I can do it for you, as long as you have your code (we can always dump if directly from the unit as well).

Kind of interesting though that they went this way vs using NVRAM...unless there is a technical reason - to be fair I didn't look into this, just what I read here so far.

edit: hmmm, not sure what the function of the battery would be for since the DS1245Y-70IND+ is a NVSRAM unit, so it shouldn't need a battery to retain it's memory as that is the main feature of the NV term (Non-volatile). I seem to be missing something - I use NVRAM all the time in my other hobby and it retains it's memory with no battery (use it to replace the conventional RAM and batteries to eliminate the need for batteries and possible future damage to the PCB due to them leaking).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-27-2023).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2023 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Hi Tony - I have a programmer so I can do it for you, as long as you have your code (we can always dump if directly from the unit as well).

Good to know for when the time comes to do this.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock