Started on: 06-29-2009 10:26 PM
Replies: 86 (6922 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 12-13-2016 08:30 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I FINALLY found a set of replacement wiper arms that fit on the Fiero, that are readily available at most parts stores. In the past, I broke two arms right at the pin. The plastic would crack and break, making the arm useless, and I've had to go to the junkyard, or order used ones from the Fiero Store. These new arms use the hook type end, will NOT break off like the old ones would, can use a wider variety of wiper blades, AND are easier to remove/replace.

The parts are Motormite 42580 and 42579. The passenger arm is perfect, while the driver's side is about an inch longer than the original Fiero one. However, it is using a 20" wiper blade without any problems. They also don't use the magic hole system the originals used, but have sliding clips that lock them into place.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good find. I looked them up on RockAuto and they are listed under the Dorman brand for $7.59 and $9.15. Looks like the original application is 95-98 chevy trucks.

I think i'll give them a try
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But I LOVE watching parts store employees try to figure out the magic hole
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been planning to look into this, because I hate the pin style arms. Thanks for the info.
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you so much for finding these. I have been looking for as long as i have been into fieros (6 years) for the newer hook style ends instead of the old outdated fiero pin style. A big + to you for the excellent find.
Fiero_Adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, you said the passenger side is the right length, and the driver side is too long. Is the passenger side arm shorter where it could be used as a driver's side on the Fiero?
sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I FINALLY found a set of replacement wiper arms that fit on the Fiero, that are readily available at most parts stores. In the past, I broke two arms right at the pin. The plastic would crack and break, making the arm useless, and I've had to go to the junkyard, or order used ones from the Fiero Store. These new arms use the hook type end, will NOT break off like the old ones would, can use a wider variety of wiper blades, AND are easier to remove/replace.

The parts are Motormite 42580 and 42579. The passenger arm is perfect, while the driver's side is about an inch longer than the original Fiero one. However, it is using a 20" wiper blade without any problems. They also don't use the magic hole system the originals used, but have sliding clips that lock them into place.

Crap I have a mint set here waiting for a new owner, wish I had known...
EDIT- Never mind you wanted hood style, these are pin.
Sparx22

[This message has been edited by sparx22 (edited 07-14-2009).]

Whynotreuse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhynotreuseSend a Private Message to WhynotreuseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that you got the "hook style" whatever you do stay away from Bosch blades. They are a prick to take off.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL All I use are the Bosch Icon's... Don't recall having any troubles taking them off of the hooks..? I've had the same blade bodies for a while now on the Scion, I just replace the rubber blade when the time comes with a PIAA generic silicone replacement.. If I ever get back to the Fiero I'm going to buy these arms and try 'em out! Thanks for the #'s!

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FINE! Here's your pics! I splurged and bought Bosch Icons.

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size blades are you using?

Looks great man. I hate the pin style connectors. It's hard to find the new-style of low-profile blades for them, and when you do, it has a big hump for the connector in the middle. I think I am going to order these.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.775 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
20" on the driver's side, and 18" on the passenger side. These are the absolute longest you can go without hitting the edges of the windshield.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now if we can only find the original OEM style of wiper blades that used the low profile hangars. The Bosch seem to sit low but that bulky attachment clip on the top is not original looking, but still the best to date.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there are some other branders of wipers out there to use. whatever the house brand is for advance auto really suck. i have them on my aveo adn they suck, have them in my fiero spare tire area cause the old ones are still decent. new and have been use maybe 6 times for a quick wipe. rarely even seen the light of day or the light of night. i think its rain-x that has some of these too.
Darkflood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarkfloodSend a Private Message to DarkfloodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year were these for? I tried them on an '86, and they did not work AT ALL. Arm mount was too big for spindle. Maybe I have worn spindles, but after over $50 in parts to replace and they don't work, a little PO'd.
kzelisko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kzeliskoSend a Private Message to kzeliskoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To my knowledge all fiero's had the same wiper arms. I would double check and make sure you got the right arms from the parts store. I just bought a set today and they were for a 1998 chevy c1500. They work perfectly for me.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darkflood:

What year were these for? I tried them on an '86, and they did not work AT ALL. Arm mount was too big for spindle. Maybe I have worn spindles, but after over $50 in parts to replace and they don't work, a little PO'd.

The arms are the same 84-88, its possible you received the wrong part.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these the type of wiper arms that you can leave flipped up while washing the windshield?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Are these the type of wiper arms that you can leave flipped up while washing the windshield?

Just went and checked, and yes, they'll stay up IF you open the hood.

Did you get the part #'s I put in the original post? Also, they don't press onto and click into place like the Fiero wiper arms do, there's a little lever on the bottom you have to slide open, and then close when they're on the spindle.
PFF
System Bot
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting that, I was about to replace my blades, I'll make a trip to scrappers yard first.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the Bosch Icons on my 2000 TA. Absolute crap. They might be ok on a pretty flat windshield like the Fiero, but they couldn't stay on the curved glass on my TA's windsheld. Anco cheapies do a better job. That and I had one of the Bosch's fly off while driving. The clip came apart, leaving part on the wiper arm, and the rest went flying down the road.

Waste of money, IMO.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Michelin make a curved blade wiper similar to the Bosch unit, but it fits several different arm styles, including the original FIero pin type. I have them on my SE and coupe, and they work fine.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bookmarked. Thanks for this, as soon as my new blades wear out, I'm replacing the arms. It's worth it to me just to be able to flip the arms the whole way up. Should help a little when cleaning the windshield.
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi RWDPLZ,
got the wiper arms and I can not tell any difference, 42580 is maybe an 1/8" longer, so which is left side??
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PRETTY sure I used 42580 on the driver's side, since it's the truck's driver side arm.
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx
Both arms are exactly the same, length and bends. However one of them does NOT fit tight on the spline so I will take it back and get another. The other one, not sure what # right now, fit tight on both sides.

Thanx for your help!!!
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '79' worked better on the left on my car. Have not tried the 20" blade yet but it looks like it will work fine. Will post results when done.

Thanx
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered arms for a 96 chevy pickup and the splines are too big - what gives?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brand, part numbers? Full-size pickup? What store? Pics?
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, here are more details. Pics to come tonight.

96 fullsize pickup
Dorman 42579 and 42580

Bought at Rockauto.

Shape of the arms looks about right, but the splines are big enough that it spins freely on the shaft.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somehow through my own stupidity, I managed to NOT get these arms to fit the other night. Tried again yesterday and voila, they fit just fine with a nice even wipe. I had already ordered a set of Fiero arms from eBay though... *angry*

Sorry for the false alarm!
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured Dorman probably repainted a fubar'ed set of arms that somebody stripped out, but good to hear that wasn't the case.

You could put the ebay-bought Fiero arms up for sale in 'The Mall' ?
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the passenger's side arm and the hole is too big for my splines also. For now I put the old arm on with some blue locktite, will see if it works.
Not sure if the parts store can return the one I bought.
FieroFish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFishSend a Private Message to FieroFishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the Motormite arms from Parts Plus. The Spline in the arm was too big for both wipers. I also have a 1989 GMC Sierra. These wiper arms fit right on nicely, but the spline on the truck has a large key which fits into a slot in the arm. These wiper arms were not designed to rely totally on the small splines. I wouldn't recommend using them, especially if they dont fit like mine.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh ya, junkyard crawl item..
dorman is china doll
even used oem will be better..
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2012 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
what is the downfall of the original design?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-The plastic on the arm where the pin is gets brittle and breaks, or the pin comes out
-Stock replacements are only available at junkyards or from individuals
-Many pin-type wipers are a PITA to replace
-Wider selection of hook-type wipers
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave