Started on: 06-29-2009 10:26 PM
Replies: 86 (6900 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 12-13-2016 08:30 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFish:

I bought the Motormite arms from Parts Plus. The Spline in the arm was too big for both wipers. I also have a 1989 GMC Sierra. These wiper arms fit right on nicely, but the spline on the truck has a large key which fits into a slot in the arm. These wiper arms were not designed to rely totally on the small splines. I wouldn't recommend using them, especially if they dont fit like mine.

From the other thread you started

So...I have a problem with the drivers side wiper arm. It keeps sliding on the knurled knob. I replaced the arm with one from another car...worked for a bit and then again broke lose, it slides on the knob and eventually works its way all the way off. I then went out and bought a new wiper arm according to the ones listed in another topic. Same thing.

First off, is the knob on the linkage supposed to be just metal showing, or was there at some point a coating on the knob. In addition, anyone know where I can get a wiper linkage? they seem to be quite rare.

Any other remedies besides a new linkage? Can some get and install just the knurled part?

Thanks.

There should be no possible way for the wiper arm to work it's way off if it is installed correctly (pushed down all the way), the arm has the locking retainer in place, and the knurled knob isn't damaged. Since it's only happening on one side, it sounds like the knob is damaged. I've never seen a Fiero wiper transmission out of the car, so I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace.
IP: Logged
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

-The plastic on the arm where the pin is gets brittle and breaks, or the pin comes out
-Stock replacements are only available at junkyards or from individuals
-Many pin-type wipers are a PITA to replace
-Wider selection of hook-type wipers

I have a fleet of vehicles I maintain at work, so I change a lot of wiper blade. I absolutly hate the loop back design arms. Many of the blades are really tough to get off and on. They tend to fall off a lot too. The pin style I can do in a second or two and they always lock on properly.

I have yet to see a pin style arm break the pin off, I do realize it is a posability, just never seen it (I do this for a living, see a lot of them). I did melt one once in the over at about 700 degrees, it could not handle that.

The pic posted on the first page shows the wiper arms with a large raised up tumor on them above the blade. It seems that would drive you crazy looking at them. Also the wiper arm on the drivers sits at the wrong angle. It looks sort of like you have a passanger arm on the drivers side. The blade sittlng wrong would really bug me too.

Just my observations.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed literally hundreds if not thousands of wiper blades when I used to work at an auto parts store, the hook-type system is by far the best system out there. The pin system I would say is better than the new GM system, which they seemed to change simply for the sake of change. I've broken a couple of the pin types on my Fiero, had customers break the pin-types (which was usually why they would come in for a new arm, occasionally because the spring had failed), and had problems with getting the pin-type wipers to go on and stay on the arms, with the brands we sold and the ones customers would bring in that they had bought from competitors. This was also in a cold-weather climate where people used wiper blades all the time.

The pic posted on the first page shows the wiper arms with a large raised up tumor on them above the blade

I've only noticed this on Bosch Icon blades, which I bought because I liked they way they perfromed on other cars. They also look a lot better than the horrible style the Fiero originally came with

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hate to bring this out of archives after 4 years but, I just got new arms, the 79 and 80. Tried them both on either side and both are too big. I know other folks have had the same issue. What was the solution?
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you buy Anco wiper blades you can take them apart when they are old and save the metal support strips in them. They are stainless steel and can be used as filler rods for welding stainless!

Jonathan
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't weld. Plus I was talking about the knob with the splines. The new arms are too big around. The arms just spin.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the left and right wiper arm. The Motormite brand is no longer available, and it now under Dorman which I think someone may have mentioned above.

For reference here are the part numbers and the current pricing, which has gone up slightly:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-14-2014).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Motormite, Help!, and other brands are Dorman...

Changing blades on hook/loop type arms...
Many "universal" blade shell,
Remove: Rotate blade shells 90° from arm and push shell toward pivot end of arm.
Install: Rotate blade shells 90° from arm, hook shell bracket and pull shell away from pivot end of arm.

Note: Length is a bit "off." Length of arm is 24.50" but because of hook mounting, a little less when you measure to pivot of shell.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-14-2014).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read the first page of posts and all were positive on how well this works for the most part. Well, I am NOT a happy camper right now! I did read this on page one before I bought everything:

Originally posted by Darkflood:
I tried them on an '86, and they did not work AT ALL. Arm mount was too big for spindle. Maybe I have worn spindles, but after over $50 in parts to replace and they don't work, a little PO'd.

This gave me second thoughts about trying this. Then the next few posts say that they work for everyone else, & that the wiper arms are the same for every year of Fiero. So i figure'd I would give it a go. I purchased the Dorman 42579 & 42580 wiper arms as mentioned above. I took them to Auto Zone, and put on a 20" blade for the drivers side, and an 18" blade for the passenger side. All in, it's around $70 in arms and blades. When I got home to fit them to the car, the holes for the spindle are way too big. When putting them on, in the propped up position, then locking the clip, and lowering them, they spin very freely on the spindles, no resistance what so ever. They are completely seated, and all the way down, as I am able to slide over the locking slider thingy. The same thing for driver and passenger side arms. I did try switching the driver and passenger arms, and the same thing.

When I put the original arms back on, even with them slid down just a 1/4 of an inch, far from all the way on, they grab TIGHTLY. The new arms are wobbly, and do not fit at all.

Here is a video to show clearly just how easily they spin.

Re-reading EVERY post, I see that MANY people are having problems with this supposed "mod". One person mentioned that these wiper arms are meant to work with a key that is on the spindle of the Chevy truck for which these wiper arms are intended. Looking at the arm, inside the hole where the spindle goes, I can see where a keyway is meant to keep the arm from spinning on the spindle.

Thought, this was meant to be an upgrade by the original poster, instead I have just wasted $70, along with what seems to be quite a few others in this thread.

All this being said:

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THESE WIPER ARMS. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED FOR THE FIEROS WIPER ARM SPLINE.

Dont just take my word for it, here is a summary of all the problems from this thread:

I tried them on an '86, and they did not work AT ALL. Arm mount was too big for spindle.

Originally posted by pop:
Both arms are exactly the same, length and bends. However one of them does NOT fit tight on the spline

Originally posted by peterh:
I bought the passenger's side arm and the hole is too big for my splines also.

I bought the Motormite arms from Parts Plus. The Spline in the arm was too big for both wipers.

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:
I just got new arms, the 79 and 80. Tried them both on either side and both are too big.

Originally posted by fierofool:
One of our guys just bought a set and he also had problems with the passenger side being wrong size.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-25-2014).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then how did they work on OP's car?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought the passenger's side arm and the hole is too big for my splines also. For now I put the old arm on with some blue locktite, will see if it works.
Not sure if the parts store can return the one I bought.

One of our guys just bought a set and he also had problems with the passenger side being wrong size. Had to shim it with Reynolds Wrap.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a few people PM me over the years asking how I got them to work, usually they didn't have the lock open.

UPDATE: See below installation procedure.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 04-20-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BOTTOM LINE: THESE WIPER BLADES DO NOT WORK ON THE FIERO

Here's why:

The Fiero wiper blade is on the right.
As you can see, the splines in the Fiero wiper blade's socket are MUCH deeper than those in the truck wiper blade's socket.
Even though they look close... even though the both measure 0.620" ID, the new ones don't work because the splines do NOT engage.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 03-29-2014).]

Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As usual Will to the rescue. Good job dude. I almost bought into this.

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dave (edited 03-31-2014).]

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's weird there is all these posts about it not working, mine have been installed for quite sometime now and no problems..

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a pic like the one above?
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My drivers side wiper arm is all stripped on the inside where it clicks on to the post that spins. The wiper arm is such soft metal the inside spline just stripped. So I drilled a hole straight through it and put a small nut and bolt to keep it working. Not too pretty but at least it moves now. It was working ok, but the heavy wet snow this morning stripped it for good and it wouldn't move, man that was a fun drive to work, stopping every few minutes to clean the drivers side windshield. I figured I could find a new wiper arm, but I just did a quick fix. Also I have the pin type and the damn plastic connectors that come with the new wiper blade assemblies are such crap, it just keeps unhooking from the pin.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 03-31-2014).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How To Install Replacement Wiper Arms:

Unlike the Fiero arms, these don't simply push on. The arms have a sliding lock that must be unlocked while the arm is in the 'UP' position.

-Open the hood and remove the original arm using the magic hole method. See

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020825-2-019767.html

-Open arm to the 'UP' position

-Move sliding tab from closed to open position

Closed:

Open:

-Push arm onto splined shaft, should require little or no effort. Arm must still be in the 'UP' position.

-With arm on shaft, close sliding tab

-Lower arm onto windshield. If alignment is off, reverse installation and try again.

The problem people seem to be having is, they're trying to push the arms on without opening the locking tab.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002
Video:

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look closely at the photo Will posted of the splines in the wiper arm, then look at the one RWDPLZ posted. They look very different. RWDPLZ's wiper arms have splines similar to the Fiero arms. But the one Will posted has hardly any spline at all. I'm willing to bet that's involved in all the troubles people are having. The big question is: how / why are some people getting wiper arms with good splines, whereas some are getting ones with weak splines?

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself, since I'm interested in the hook-style wiper arms.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unlike the Fiero arms, these don't simply push on. The arms have a sliding lock that must be unlocked while the arm is in the 'UP' position.

You also posted on my video I posted to Youtube above:

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:You have to open the locking tab, THEN slide the arm onto the shaft, and close the tab. The arm won't install onto the shaft with the tab closed.

A few things:

First, I find interesting that you think the 20 or so people in this thread, that say these do not work, do not know how to use a locking tab on a wiper! I personally give these people far more credit that you are to insist that these work. With the locking clasp closed, the wiper will not seat in any way on the shaft.... and is quite obvious.

Secondly, If you had actually watched the video you commented on, you can plainly see that the locking tab is open when I put the wiper arm on. Then I clearly say in the video "When I push it all the way down and LOCK IT IN PLACE, IT STILL MOVES FREELY"

Next, the diameter of the shaft is approximately 1mm smaller in radius than the interior hole in the superposed replacement arms. I see someone above also measured and mentioned this.

Lastly, that type of locking tab has nothing to do with how tight the wiper fits on the shaft in any way. This clip simply prevents it from falling off.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Secondly, If you had actually watched the video you commented on, you can plainly see that the locking tab is open when I put the wiper arm on. Then I clearly say in the video "When I push it all the way down and LOCK IT IN PLACE, IT STILL MOVES FREELY"

If you actually watch the video you posted, you can clearly see the arm is not in the 'UP' position when you try to put it on the splined shaft. The arm is always straight (the 'DOWN' position, the way it rests on the windshield). This means the tab cannot be open.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002

First, I find interesting that you think the 20 or so people in this thread... do not know how to use a locking tab on a wiper!

2 people had trouble, and then figured out they were putting them on wrong. There appear to be only 6 people who had trouble:

I bought the passenger's side arm and the hole is too big for my splines also. For now I put the old arm on with some blue locktite, will see if it works.
Not sure if the parts store can return the one I bought.

I bought the Motormite arms from Parts Plus. The Spline in the arm was too big for both wipers. I also have a 1989 GMC Sierra. These wiper arms fit right on nicely, but the spline on the truck has a large key which fits into a slot in the arm. These wiper arms were not designed to rely totally on the small splines. I wouldn't recommend using them, especially if they dont fit like mine.

Hate to bring this out of archives after 4 years but, I just got new arms, the 79 and 80. Tried them both on either side and both are too big. I know other folks have had the same issue. What was the solution?

I read the first page of posts and all were positive on how well this works for the most part. Well, I am NOT a happy camper right now! I did read this on page one before I bought everything:

One of our guys just bought a set and he also had problems with the passenger side being wrong size. Had to shim it with Reynolds Wrap.

Originally posted by Will:
BOTTOM LINE: THESE WIPER BLADES DO NOT WORK ON THE FIERO
Here's why:

I have no problem at all believing a few people had trouble with this. Look at the kinds of question people post in tech all the time, many are simpler to figure out than this.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The problem people seem to be having is, they're trying to push the arms on without opening the locking tab.

Come off it, Jackass.

Go back and look at the photos I posted.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Look closely at the photo Will posted of the splines in the wiper arm, then look at the one RWDPLZ posted. They look very different. RWDPLZ's wiper arms have splines similar to the Fiero arms. But the one Will posted has hardly any spline at all.

Exactly.

I asked for exactly the part numbers listed on the first post and got what I showed in my photo above.

OP apparently can't grasp that some people are getting slightly different parts with the same part number.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-21-2014).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Come off it, Jackass.

Go back and look at the photos I posted.

Exactly.

I asked for exactly the part numbers listed on the first post and got what I showed in my photo above.

OP apparently can't grasp that some people are getting slightly different parts with the same part number.

What's more likely, they're selling a bunch of defective wiper arms, or some people can't figure out how to put them on? If they sold you a defective arm, I'm sure they'd take it back and give you a good one.

Save the name calling for the playground.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, there's no need to get hostile. Let's get this figured out.

Just out of curiosity, how many of the people who bought the Dorman / Motormite arms got splines that look like Will's picture, and how many look like RWDPLZ's picture? And how many of you guys grabbed wiper arms off vehicles in a salvage yard?

There's a trend nowadays for aftermarket replacement parts to be worse than the OEM ones they replace. If the guys with good splines in their wiper arms are using OEM ones pulled from salvage yards, that would explain a lot.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's more likely, they're selling a bunch of defective wiper arms, or some people can't figure out how to put them on?

Neither... different manufacturers have different designs and put the same part number on them. I don't think anyone in this thread has received "defective" parts.

It's pretty insulting to go straight to "everyone is an idiot" as your explanation. It's especially annoying to post that *after* I posted the photos of why the parts I bought didn't work.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-24-2014).]

jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a pair from Rock auto and they are TOO BIG! This sucks as it is a nice update for the car. Anyone out there got a REAL upgrade?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwct7:

I bought a pair from Rock auto and they are TOO BIG! This sucks as it is a nice update for the car. Anyone out there got a REAL upgrade?

Tell me about it. I told that to RWDPLZ, the person that says they will work, as have many others have told him, they do NOT fit. I asked that he at least put a disclaimer in the first post saying that they may not work, to save others the time, money and effort. He never did.

Here was the response to people saying they do not fit:

What's more likely, they're selling a bunch of defective wiper arms, or some people can't figure out how to put them on?

Instead of admitting they may not fit, the logical thing to do I guess is to blame all the parts stores, and the people on the forum, who he thinks are too stupid to put wiper arms on their car correctly. Seriously? LOL!

Here is a running total of "people that can't figure out how to put them on"

As you can see, the splines in the Fiero wiper blade's socket are MUCH deeper than those in the truck wiper blade's socket.
Even though they look close... even though the both measure 0.620" ID, the new ones don't work because the splines do NOT engage.

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:
My drivers side wiper arm is all stripped on the inside where it clicks on to the post that spins. The wiper arm is such soft metal the inside spline just stripped.

The spline on the Fiero is small, and the opening in the Dorman arms is just too big. The wiper arms just spins freely when put on.

I tried them on an '86, and they did not work AT ALL. Arm mount was too big for spindle.

Both arms are exactly the same, length and bends. However one of them does NOT fit tight on the spline

Originally posted by masospaghetti:
Shape of the arms looks about right, but the splines are big enough that it spins freely on the shaft.

I bought the Motormite arms from Parts Plus. The Spline in the arm was too big for both wipers.

I just got new arms, the 79 and 80. Tried them both on either side and both are too big.

One of our guys just bought a set and he also had problems with the passenger side being wrong size.

Re-reading the entire thread, it seems that Sco77 is the one and only person to say that the wiper arms worked for him.

I will say it again:
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THESE WIPER ARMS. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED FOR THE FIEROS WIPER ARM SPLINE, AND THERE IS A LOW CHANCE THAT THEY WILL WORK ON YOUR FIERO.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-18-2015).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This subject has cropped up before. Here's my link.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130884.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a set from Rock Auto and they both spin on my splines.......... no good. Anyone else got another solution???
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sure wish he would post that THEY DO NOT WORK ON 99% OF FIEROS in the first post! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I keep seeing this thread get bumped to the top again and again when people:
a) trust the first post
b) pay for them, and find they do not work
c) come here to tell everyone that they did not work.

A growing list of people that have wasted money............

Instead of admitting they may not fit, the logical thing to do I guess is to blame all the parts stores, and the people on the forum, who he thinks are too stupid to put wiper arms on their car correctly. Seriously? LOL!

Here is a running total of "people that can't figure out how to put them on"

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:
My drivers side wiper arm is all stripped on the inside where it clicks on to the post that spins. The wiper arm is such soft metal the inside spline just stripped.

The spline on the Fiero is small, and the opening in the Dorman arms is just too big. The wiper arms just spins freely when put on.

Originally posted by masospaghetti:
Shape of the arms looks about right, but the splines are big enough that it spins freely on the shaft.

I ordered a set from Rock Auto and they both spin on my splines.......... no good.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the OP has an 84. Could the wiper shafts be another difference between the 84s and all the others? To the people who it is working for, what year is your car?
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2015 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
set screw FTW

with the way g.m. used parts across car platforms, other cars have to use the same arms..

wonder how hard it be to change the base that the arm mounts to, to one from a b body or g body..
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

set screw FTW

with the way g.m. used parts across car platforms, other cars have to use the same arms..

wonder how hard it be to change the base that the arm mounts to, to one from a b body or g body..

I agree that a set screw would be the quickest fix for those that paid for the wiper arms. Hopefully others wishing to do this swap take the time to read through the entire thread before they jump into it, that way they can make in informed decision whether or not to risk it.
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the mod, worked with electrical tape wrapped around the shaft for a while, but became more of a pain i the ass as time went on about 6months after install i decided to put a set screw in the side of the wiper arm. Got some allen set screws about 1/4 inch long. A drill bit and tap and in 5 mins it has been perfect ever since. Cant even see the set as it doesnt stick out at all and its black. I never liked the pin style, plus my arms were faded from the sun. Not a bad mod if you know what to expect.
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no idea anyone was having trouble with this mod. I have an 85GT and and 86GT both with the hook style wiper arms and they fit like they were stock. After reading through the thread it does seem those that bought the dorman ones were getting quite a variety of results. Don't know if it's poor quality re-pros or old ones spruced up for sale again that are stripped out already or whatever else but both my sets came off a truck at the junkyard. A sanding and a fresh coat of paint and they were pretty good. I would say just head to the yard and try to find them there as they will also be cheaper. I paid $10 for the wipers arms and a few other assorted smalls.

And another thing, why is RWDPLZ getting such a crazy amount of flak over this over many years. I for one a grateful he posted this because otherwise I would have never known I could do this. If he was selling a product I would understand some negative feedback but all he did was post some information. I for one would never go out and buy a bunch of stuff for some mod because someone posted some information on some forum UNLESS I could check it out on the cheap (like $10) or it was well documented with multiple people claiming that it works. It seems like almost no one got it to work so I just crawled the yards while I was there to do it for cheap.

Anyway, thanks RWDPLZ for posting this as you made my little car a little better.

(If anyone would like some pics I will gladly post them also)
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the mod, worked with electrical tape wrapped around the shaft for a while, but became more of a pain i the ass as time went on about 6months after install i decided to put a set screw in the side of the wiper arm. Got some allen set screws about 1/4 inch long. A drill bit and tap and in 5 mins it has been perfect ever since. Cant even see the set as it doesnt stick out at all and its black. I never liked the pin style, plus my arms were faded from the sun. Not a bad mod if you know what to expect.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

And another thing, why is RWDPLZ getting such a crazy amount of flak over this over many years.

Because even after being shown photos of why the parts people were getting didn't work, he refused to acknowledge that fact and instead tried to tell everyone that they didn't know how to install wiper arms.

If he'd just acknowledged the OOOPS, he wouldn't have taken so much flak.
Here's a brilliant idea... if he were such a great guy, he could EDIT his ORIGINAL POST to say "Read whole thread; be careful what you get. There are styles of these parts that don't work. YMMV."

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because even after being shown photos of why the parts people were getting didn't work, he refused to acknowledge that fact and instead tried to tell everyone that they didn't know how to install wiper arms.

If he'd just acknowledged the OOOPS, he wouldn't have taken so much flak.
Here's a brilliant idea... if he were such a great guy, he could EDIT his ORIGINAL POST to say "Read whole thread; be careful what you get. There are styles of these parts that don't work. YMMV."

I agree 100% It's great to give people ideas, but if they do not work for many, it's also great to let people know that as well. As I mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, I did PM'd him, and asked him very nicely to at least include in the first post they this may not work for everyone. In return I just got the brush off, and that I do not know how to install a set of wiper arms. And another 3 further posts from him, after even more complaints, that these people also are not smart enough to be able to install wiper arms.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock