Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Project 3400 Roller Cam Block (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project 3400 Roller Cam Block by lou_dias
Started on: 07-27-2006 06:49 PM
Replies: 777 (30534 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 04-16-2024 09:22 AM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 04-29-2013).]

IP: Logged
sleevePAPA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Yes I did and congrats in your airflow achievements! But like you said, those little variations is what make the difference between your hand port and my CNC.
The little variations of hand ported bowls are astronomical compared to CNC ported bowls, You have 6 different ports I have 6 equals ports.

Good job!

iirc the variations were fairly minimal, like 5-6 CFM difference. But like you said, CNC gets them all equal, and they look pretty. So good job to you! Apologies for being critical about your CNC work, I just can jusitify 700 bucks for a set of heads that only flow moderatly better than untouched heads. but then again, theres no aftermarket for the irons.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free market-if your product is better or more preferable than the market will adjust or the vendor will.
I do the same thing,build for personal and sell when I want.
But if I can take someone else's idea and make it better,it doesn't detract from them.
They are only selling thier improvements on a previous product as well.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I thought Francis, due to medical conditions was not making any products anymore...
...I might be in the market for another set of headers within the next year...preferably pre-JETT-coated...
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure Trueleo is still on hiatus. Besides, competition is a good thing. It drives people to improve.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm pretty sure Trueleo is still on hiatus. Besides, competition is a good thing. It drives people to improve.

Yep, when someone has the market cornered, they dictate and inflate prices.

La Fiera, if you want take a look at powerheads.com. They find SBF E7 heads and CNC port them, add some goodies like SS valves and other hardware, and turn them around for 750ish. That was a few years ago, though. But those are V8 heads, likely requiring more window watching time, and more hardware for around the same price you offered. Something to think about.

/hijack

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2197 posts
Member since Jun 2008

sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is Lou's thread right? Sorry Lou for hijacking. When are you going to dyno your car?

Or you can get your hands on a set of these!

http://ncfiero.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4308

Same iron heads but more flow. The first set we did with the stock valves out flowed of the Falconer heads. I have those in my Fiero now.

http://ncfiero.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18

Scroll down and look at the CNC port work pictures.

My Super Stock heads are $700 + shipping and this is what you get (exchange program only).
Super Stock Head $700
-CNC port work
-3 angle valve job
-Spring seat machined to accept SBC springs (ANY spring available for SBC you can use)
-Shaved to achieve the highest compression without compromising the geometry.
-Shroud combustion chamber to eliminate hot spots.

Flow Data
@ 28 inH2o
Intake
200=59
300=113
400=173
500=182

Exhaust
200=37
300=132
400=130
500=133

Race Head
-Same as the Super Stock but with:
1.85 intake & 1.50 exhaust valves (Don't know how much this will be yet)
Flow Data will be available soon!

I'm in the process of building a 3.4 but unlike yours I'm using a solid lifter flat tappet camshaft.

Here is the 2.8 screaming:
http://youtu.be/h9dI_coX1LI

Here are the results:
http://ncfiero.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4275

Oh im sorry I didnt mean to get in the way of you pitching your CNC heads buddy. And if you're not sure...Yes, this is Lou's thread, hence the "/hijack" in my previous post.

So where were we?

.....Oh yes, back on point.....

Actually, I thought Francis, due to medical conditions was not making any products anymore...
...I might be in the market for another set of headers within the next year...preferably pre-JETT-coated...

Sorry Lou
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No big deal.
I am waiting for an update to see if the new hub has arrived.

If these heads are a performance increase, then great. However, I believe to you should alter your program to leave the vane in. If you look on the top wall of the intake ports, you'll see a crevice that compensates for that vane and directs air to the front facing part of the valve where as the vane directs air around the valve stem to the sides and back. This is what balances the pressure around the valve.

It seems that not much improvement was done to the exhaust...or am I wrong?

Update:
Collision center has received a UPS update that it is en-route. Should show up tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 04-30-2013).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

It seems that not much improvement was done to the exhaust...or am I wrong?

That was the intentional for stock compression motors.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was the intentional for stock compression motors.

Let me assure you that even 2.8's would benefit from exhaust porting. Stock exhaust valve is 1.42". It is under-served by 3/4" or 7/8" ports...
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias: Let me assure you that even 2.8's would benefit from exhaust porting. Stock exhaust valve is 1.42". It is under-served by 3/4" or 7/8" ports...

When I saw the flow numbers, my first thought was "that's gonna need a really exhaust-heavy camshaft!" A head with great intake flow and weak exhaust flow isn't going to scavenge well.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys got a point but bigger is not always better. There's got to be a balance between the intake and exhaust velocity.
The port size will dictate at what RPM rate the velocity is optimum for that specific RPM.

The faster the exhaust exits, the incoming air will travel at a faster rate and the opposite happens when the tables are turned.
The theory behind this is to bring in large amounts of air volume at hi velocity. That is why the components of the intake side (TB, Plenum, etc) are out of proportion compared to the exhaust.
Now, being that these heads where going to be on a 2.8 I opted for the smaller exhaust port.

For the 3.4 I'm building a totally different head, of course with a little bigger exhaust port.
Just look at my dyno sheet and look where the power is compared to yours, everything is just a balancing act.
http://www.oil-endurance-pr...icion/pontiac-fiero/

Can't wait to see more videos of you racing!

Cheers
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You guys got a point but bigger is not always better. There's got to be a balance between the intake and exhaust velocity.
The port size will dictate at what RPM rate the velocity is optimum for that specific RPM.

The faster the exhaust exits, the incoming air will travel at a faster rate and the opposite happens when the tables are turned.
The theory behind this is to bring in large amounts of air volume at hi velocity. That is why the components of the intake side (TB, Plenum, etc) are out of proportion compared to the exhaust.
Now, being that these heads where going to be on a 2.8 I opted for the smaller exhaust port.

For the 3.4 I'm building a totally different head, of course with a little bigger exhaust port.
Just look at my dyno sheet and look where the power is compared to yours, everything is just a balancing act.
http://www.oil-endurance-pr...icion/pontiac-fiero/

Can't wait to see more videos of you racing!

Cheers

Flow is about balance and scavenging. Oreif's heads flowed more than Falconer on the intake side but less/stock on the exhaust and his motors made 200rwhp. Falconer, while having a poorer intake thru-put (and much poorer than yours) had better exhaust thru-put and made 275+ hp. This is what is amusing about heads and flow #'s 158cfm/port is enough to flow 275+hp...yet we have heads with more cfm on the intake making less HP in both...this extends to AL heads as well...which is why I've always said the heads aren't necessarily the primary restriction on Fiero engines. Typically it's the intake system and exhaust system that fails at supplying(or allowing air to leave) the heads with enough air flow.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yet another example of iron heads putting down 240+ lbs*ft ... who would have thunk it?

Caddy 4.9's put down close to as much torque as my Northstar...

But they won't even come close to the horsepower.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Well your motor ain't going in my car is it?

Here's my 4.9 dyno before a new tune and all the wiring fixes...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-086966.html

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-03-2013).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and requires more displacement to do it...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well your motor ain't going in my car is it?

Here's my 4.9 dyno before a new tune and all the wiring fixes...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-086966.html

That's a pretty good 4.9 dyno.
My stock Northstar beat that by 1 ftlb and 70 HP.
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's a pretty good 4.9 dyno.
My stock Northstar beat that by 1 ftlb and 70 HP.

Yeah, we both know it's crap (yet amazingly close to by 3.400 car). That was with a stickpony chip (which is just an ADS chip) ... I didn't get the 4.9 swap for horsepower. NJD85GT send me a much better tune and it runs a lot better now but now I get clutch slip at 4200+... Its just my daily driver now since my stock 88 Formula developed a crack in the cross-over.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-05-2013).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New spindle showed up yesterday. Supposedly to be installed today. I hope this one is correct.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, we both know it's crap (yet amazingly close to by 3.400 car). That was with a stickpony chip (which is just an ADS chip) ... I didn't get the 4.9 swap for horsepower. NJD85GT send me a much better tune and it runs a lot better now but now I get clutch slip at 4200+... Its just my daily driver now since my stock 88 Formula developed a crack in the cross-over.

if your "3400 car" is the car this thread is about, it's not a 3400 anymore, merely a roller cam 3.4.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

if your "3400 car" is the car this thread is about, it's not a 3400 anymore, merely a roller cam 3.4.

Put on your glasses. I said 3 POINT 400.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Put on your glasses. I said 3 POINT 400.

a reverse hybrid LOL

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Technically its a 3350 stock...
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Technically its a 3350 stock...

Yes but mine is bored .020" over so it is a true 3.40000000000 ;-)

A stock 3.4/3400 uses a 3.62" bore. I'm at 3.64" and a 3500 LX9 uses a 3.7" bore. If I ever rebuild this block (again) maybe I'll just have it bored to that. They had the car running yesterday and were preparing the bill. Not looking forward to the bill but at least I'll have the car tonight - FINALLY!

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-09-2013).]

RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More like 3.387 if you want to be exact.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alignment is way off. Coolant is low and it needs an inspection sticker so I dropped the car off this morning at a local shop.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But it rolls?
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But it rolls?

Yes, and I just ordered 2 17x9 wheels from Summit and 2 P275/35ZR-17 Hoosier R6 tires. Gonna use those in the rear to get my rpm up on the track and move the 40's to the front with lower tire pressure.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-141-7961gm25

And lucky me I found my chip burner in the car ... I hadn't been in the car since late Sept/early Oct ... I need to add timing back below 3000RPM, it's a dog below that currently.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-10-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A stock 3.4/3400 uses a 3.62" bore. I'm at 3.64" and a 3500 LX9 uses a 3.7" bore. If I ever rebuild this block (again) maybe I'll just have it bored to that.

I didn't think the 3400 block could go that big safely. The non-VVT 3500 uses a 94mm bore, which is nearly .080 over stock for a 3400... that's a pretty aggressive overbore.

OTOH, a .036 overbore for the 3500 gets it to the 305 Chevy bore size and opens up a large number of possibilities for custom pistons.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't think the 3400 block could go that big safely. The non-VVT 3500 uses a 94mm bore, which is nearly .080 over stock for a 3400... that's a pretty aggressive overbore.

OTOH, a .036 overbore for the 3500 gets it to the 305 Chevy bore size and opens up a large number of possibilities for custom pistons.

If the cranks are the same then the walls between the cylinders can't change, correct? Well, I suppose I mean the cylinder spacing within the block. For the 3500 to have thicker inner walls, it would need to be a longer block and different crank. So if the inside of the block is the same, then it seems to me that a 3400 block can be bored pretty far. In reality my next rebuild would only go to .040" over but it still seems possible...
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cranks are not the same, what are you talking about? The LX9 cylinders are also positioned slightly different in the block. That was the 3900... sorry...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-10-2013).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The cranks are not the same, what are you talking about? The LX9 cylinders are also positioned slightly different in the block.

Well that explains that...or are you confusing the VVT 3500 that is based off the 3900? Or is all 2004+ 3100/3400/3500's a different crank casting all together?

Who sells an under-drive pulley for Fiero engines?

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-10-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman.

88 V6 Power Pulley Kit

85-87 V6 Power Pulley Kit

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-10-2013).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney Dickman.

88 V6 Power Pulley Kit

85-87 V6 Power Pulley Kit

Thanks! I'm already using his idler and I converted to the 88 alternator so I'm gonna have to contact him directly for just the belt and pulley!
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the cranks are the same then the walls between the cylinders can't change, correct? Well, I suppose I mean the cylinder spacing within the block. For the 3500 to have thicker inner walls, it would need to be a longer block and different crank. So if the inside of the block is the same, then it seems to me that a 3400 block can be bored pretty far. In reality my next rebuild would only go to .040" over but it still seems possible...

Negative, ghost rider. The V6's use NON-siamesed bores. There's water between the bore walls.
That's what allowed GM to go to 99mm in the VVT 3500 and 3900. The bore spacing did *NOT* change... the bores just moved "downhill" in order to maintain their clearance to the camshaft. For the 99mm blocks, the bore centerlines no longer intersect the crank centerline.

Anyway, just like any other engine, if you bore it too big, the walls get too thin *somewhere* and you risk cracking a bore and letting coolant into your chamber or your oil pan. Either way, it's not favorable.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 05-10-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Negative, ghost rider. The V6's use NON-siamesed bores. There's water between the bore walls.
That's what allowed GM to go to 99mm in the VVT 3500 and 3900. The bore spacing did *NOT* change... the bores just moved "downhill" in order to maintain their clearance to the camshaft. For the 99mm blocks, the bore centerlines no longer intersect the crank centerline.

Anyway, just like any other engine, if you bore it too big, the walls get too thin *somewhere* and you risk cracking a bore and letting coolant into your chamber or your oil pan. Either way, it's not favorable.

But what about reaching the 94mm on the LX9 3500 block with the LA1 3400 block? It's still a huge over bore, but I think that is what he meant. There is no way to reach the specs of the VVT engines with either the LA1 or LX9 block.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-13-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock