Dew Wipe Replacement by jstricker
Started on: 02-09-2006 11:23 PM
Replies: 96 (18003 views)
Last post by: Jerb on 09-10-2022 02:04 AM
Anne

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2007 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnneSend a Private Message to AnneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got that tool from Rodney Dickman what a waste of money, this can be done without that tool with no issues.
Thanks for posting this info too bad I did not see it before I did mine.

Anne
IP: Logged
InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did it with this method and let me say it's VERY easy to do. I had no trouble whatsoever.
Course i forgot to replace the window guides so i had to take it apart again...
Hardest part was making the drivers side into a passengers side dew wipe.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some reason, my window wouldn't go high enough, and I didn't have Rodney's tool. So I cut a Phillips bit short with my side cutter, gripped it hard in a pair of small vice grips, and used that. I loosened the inside felt pads to give me more room, and found that you have more room with the window up than down. Also, with the window up, there's no worry about scratching it, because you can't see the part you might scratch. Worked out ok. Now I need to turn a driver side dew wipe into a passenger side so I can do the other side, like here.

ambfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ambfieroSend a Private Message to ambfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now if I could just find inner and outer dew wipes.........

------------------
In loving memory of Harold Hummel (PFF 4WHEEL)
1936-2004

386gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 386gtSend a Private Message to 386gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you are the dew god!!
15 minutes?!??!?!
i have spent countless hours fighting with the dews!!!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up!

I have 2 questions.

1. Where can I purchase new dew wipes?

2. How would I go about "poloishing" the scratches out of the door glass?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Katatak

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get the inner and outer dew-wipes here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/039920.html
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Kevin,

I forgot to mention the vapor barrier. As you can see, I took mine completely out and am going to replace it with dynamat as I think that gives the door a more solid sound when it closes. The Finale door panels have a much larger air volume and sound pretty "cheap" due to the resonance when you shut the doors because of that unless you use the dynamat.

John Stricker

It's been a while since this post. Any pics of the dynomat installed? Just wondered how it was applied behind a door panel.

Nice write up. I will be using this soon.

ambfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ambfieroSend a Private Message to ambfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep checking back but it says he all sold out.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this thread isn't in the archives???

I never took any pictures of the dynamat installed and I've since sold the roadster, so no pictures will probably ever be taken. Just take your time and it will go on, although I did make custom door panels for that car, I don't see why it wouldn't work with the stock ones.

John Stricker

Originally posted by sjmaye:

It's been a while since this post. Any pics of the dynomat installed? Just wondered how it was applied behind a door panel.

Nice write up. I will be using this soon.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, this thread isn't in the archives???

I never took any pictures of the dynamat installed and I've since sold the roadster, so no pictures will probably ever be taken. Just take your time and it will go on, although I did make custom door panels for that car, I don't see why it wouldn't work with the stock ones.

John Stricker

Do you install the Dynamat over the entire area behind the door panel or do you focus on covering the access openings to the interior of the door cavity?

Thx!
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Some of you do really go thru a lot of trouble with these. I guess I may be lucky. With Rodney tool I have been able to replace them in two cars without touching any door glass part at all. Just remove trim, insert tool, be carefull and take screws out. Still nice write up if the going gets though
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I laid it over the whole panel, then used a heat gun and a small roller and rolled it into every nook and cranny, which stretched it thinner than it is from the box. But I didn't have a door handle, window crank, etc., etc., to worry about either.

John Stricker

Do you install the Dynamat over the entire area behind the door panel or do you focus on covering the access openings to the interior of the door cavity?

Thx!

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
To each his own, Alex. I have a tool just like Rodney's that I made. It works, but it's a PITA IMHO. I can do it faster with a lot less cursing and swearing this way. You must have the fingers of a girl.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Wow! Some of you do really go thru a lot of trouble with these. I guess I may be lucky. With Rodney tool I have been able to replace them in two cars without touching any door glass part at all. Just remove trim, insert tool, be carefull and take screws out. Still nice write up if the going gets though

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I laid it over the whole panel,

John Stricker

Are you saying you applied the Dynamat to the back of the inner door panel on on the metal door frame behind the innder door panel?
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the metal door frame, stretching it as much as it would allow with a heat gun, using a razor blade to cut out the openings needed.

John Stricker

Are you saying you applied the Dynamat to the back of the inner door panel on on the metal door frame behind the innder door panel?

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2008 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for this thread. Very useful info.

I used this method today installing my new Dew-wipes from DIY Stu and it went fairly easy. I dropped a few screws and nuts in the door. Those were a pain to get out. But overall, it's a nice straightfoward process.

And I must say, the new dew-wipes look so much better. I am very happy with the result.

------------------
'88 GT- 257rwhp 319rwft/lbs 12.74@106.2mph 1/4 mile

3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info ive been dreading this lol
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-01-2008 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.6lvvt6spdgt:

thanks for the info ive been dreading this lol

I know what you mean, i have had a set of 'generics' for both cars since winter.. still haven't tried to tackle it yet.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Great write up!

I have 2 questions.

1. Where can I purchase new dew wipes?

2. How would I go about "poloishing" the scratches out of the door glass?

Thanks in advance.

By now, I'm sure everyone know's they can get dew wipes from The Fiero Store. But has anyone figured out the best way to polish the scratches out of the glass?
PFF
System Bot
reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reverendSend a Private Message to reverendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkcofy:

By now, I'm sure everyone know's they can get dew wipes from The Fiero Store. But has anyone figured out the best way to polish the scratches out of the glass?

Eastwood has a polish kit for glass. Get it. A bottle of Cerium Oxide and polishing pads. All you need is a variable speed electric drill. The kit is designed to remove wiper scratches from windshields. I have used this a lot. With a little practice you can fix any scratch in glass. If I can find a link I will post it but you should be able to find it at Eastwood Automotive.
Hope this wotks: http://www.eastwoodco.com/s...=597&iProductID=2010

Guess I can't post a link. Anyway the pro kit is around $46

[This message has been edited by reverend (edited 10-19-2008).]

SE85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SE85Send a Private Message to SE85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished following the step-by-step instructions to do both doors. I did the wipes, got the power locks working again and made the doors solid again. This post saved me hours of figuring out the operation by myself. Thanks.......this site is so cool
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agree! These directions were truely a blessing! The first window took all day, and I had to biggest issue with that fricken rear screw...but the second window went pretty easy. I cleaned the window track and added new lithium grease and the window moves so much smoother. I really needed to change the window motors, as it was a bit slow. It's a bit faster now, but eventually I'll need to figure out how to get to the motors.

I did take the advice of someone on this thread to replace the vapor paper with dynamat. That stuff is expensive!...but I found a pretty good replacement on ebay "Fatmat". Had alot of good comments and feedback, and it was pretty easy to apply once I cut out the pattern and used a heat gun. The door sounds much more solid and it has lowered the interior noise by at least 30%.

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you for the knowledge. the job was easy apart from 2 rusted screws which came out after some patience.

this should be on the first page in the article section with the how to recover the headliner and wheel polishing etc

jon m
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2009 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks jstricker,

This is one of my projects that I need to do and I already know that you have saved me time and frustration. So here’s a plus for you.

------------------
White 88 GT 5 spd
Red 88 GT Auto
Black 88 Coup 5 spd

sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to make my own dew wipe screw removal wrench. I took a #2 Phillips bit that fits into a 1/4" bit holder and ground down the shank so only enough hex shaft remained to fit into a small open end wrench. I silver soldered the bit into the 1/4" end of the wrench. And YES that is one UGLY solder job! This wrench is 4 1/2" in length. This most likely come close to what Rodney sells, not sure never saw his tool.

Since I am painting my car the inner and outer door panels are off. I sprayed all the screws with PB Blaster. On my side are: none rusted screws, door panels removed, and not so large hands. As an Electrician I can fit my entire hand thru a one gang box hole in a wall which is 2" x 4".

Anyway using the paint mixing stick against the glass to put pressure on the screw head I was able to change one dew wipe faster than it took to make the tool. I will allow the PB blaster to soak overnight on the driver’s side and change it tomorrow.

I used masking tape on the glass to guard against scratches. I installed the original screws using the black automotive stick sealer to hold the screws to my fingers to get them started. I put the good screws from the far end positions back in the center to insure the best engagement with the Phillips head and thus the inner screws to the outside.

Once the screw is broken loose if your door panel is off you can turn the screw with needle nose pliers from end piercing through the door. Then when loose enough back it out with you "girly" fingers as posted above.

Sometimes I wish my hands were larger, but not today!
Sparx22

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by sparx22 (edited 03-23-2009).]

Reality

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealityClick Here to visit Reality's HomePageSend a Private Message to RealityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to give my thanks,

Started working on this project this morning and got kind of stuck. So I did some searching and came across this method, after starting over both doors took little over half an hour. Anyone looking to put new wipes on, this is the way to go!!!

Take care,
Wilson

------------------

Andreas DK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Andreas DKSend a Private Message to Andreas DKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you soo much..!!

------------------
Andreas Fiero Denmark.

http://www.bilgalleri.dk/ht...visbil.asp?ID=109049

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

thank you for the knowledge. the job was easy apart from 2 rusted screws which came out after some patience.

jon m

And these would be impossible to get out with a "special tool". I used the under the glass method and still had one of the screws break. There's no way you can get enough bite with a "special tool" to break a screw.

88 Dread GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Dread GTSend a Private Message to 88 Dread GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson:

And these would be impossible to get out with a "special tool". I used the under the glass method and still had one of the screws break. There's no way you can get enough bite with a "special tool" to break a screw.

I ended up stripping the the PITA middle screw with the RDickman tool... Not knocking Rodney, I bought the tool as more of a donation to his other great Fiero parts I've bought and DO work like the idler pulley and stainless steel vacuum lines (that run under the intake plenum).

So, I found this thread and I wish I found it sooner. What a great write up jstricker! I finally installed the GM original I bought about 8 years ago. My old dew wipe was so destroyed and weather beaten. The rubber was so brittle, dried, and cracked it literally fell apart on me as I attempted to remove it. Now I can tackle the RH door with more confidence.

------------------
=-Eric the Dread

1988 Fiero GT 2.8L V6
2001 Grand Prix GTP SC3.8L V6

PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is awesome!

I just did my first-ever dew wipe replacement in 20 years of owning Fieros...

Thank you for your awesome help!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here*

New Revised Pic Link - click here for pics

click here for my MySpace page

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2009 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too replaced my dew wipes with DIY-Stu's. Not quite the hassel that I was expecting. Then again, a fellow Fiero owner lent me his dew wipe screwdriver. Really made it loads easier.

------------------

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you have the middle screw out, you can move to the PITA screw to the rear, that is the second one from the back. For this one, you have to slide the window BACK on the regulator arms. There is a point at which you will gain access to the screw, again you might have to help lift a little bit with a screwdriver on the glass, but you should have enough clearance.

I did mine today as well but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what John meant by back on the regulator arms. Back which way? Back toward the outer door skin, back toward the door hinge, back toward the door catch? I couldn't get the glass to move. So I ended up removing the PITA screw with the tool I made "a la Rodney". After fighting with it for 20 minutes it came out. Then I accidentally pushed on guide track itself and the glass shifted toward the door latch and I felt like a complete idiot!

The first one took me about 2 hours, the second took about 20 minutes. Thanks John, your write up saved me a huge amount of grief!

A+ to you!

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-16-2009).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So when you move the window up as high as possible to get those two middle screws, can you move it too far? Like, can you make it come out of the door entirely?
Knucklebuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnucklebusterSend a Private Message to KnucklebusterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well done.

This write up helped me overcome the most PITA repair on the Fiero.

Thanks a million!!!
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent the evening installing DIY-Stu's passenger side outer dew wipe. Many, many thanks to both OP and Stu for making my car look that much better!

They really needed it

Looks like new!
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will be atempting this next weekend hope it goes as smooth as it looks !! Great write up will have it right beside me as i do the work !
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that the door used for this dew wipe change was a power window door. Not sure if the proceedure for manual windows is the same. Can anyone confirm that you can raise your manual windows up as high as this write up with out causing something to "go wrong". In other words, when you raise/lower the window with a manual crank, is it possible to go to far and then not get the manual gear assembly back together (the large gear and sissor drive in the middle).

Im not familiar with the inner workings of the door, so when I look at my door i see the guides on the sides, I see the bolts that are holding the window stops but of course I have a window crank assembly across the middle and the window crank on the lower forward area. If you remove the window track as pointed out, does this screw up the tracking for the manual windows.

I just want to be sure that with manual windows, you would do the same steps. I'd hate to get to a point where I can't get my doors back together because something has gotten off track.

Rob
BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size self taping screws did you use?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock