Started on: 11-02-2005 08:21 PM
Replies: 445 (57632 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 05-15-2018 02:37 PM
ohio86se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Golden86:

I had 60psi for my oil pressure.

My father has been a certified GM mechanic for more than 30 years, and has built/rebuilt countless engines in his time, we went therough all the proper procedures. The only thing that we didn't check was the bearing clearances before installing it, the engine was so clean, we shouldn't have to check it with 51K on it.

I guess its just one of those things. Your lucky to have somebody with that much experience to help you. Good luck

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

IP: Logged
Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dropped the engine, and pulled it apart today. It took only 3 hours to do everything.

Here is the stripped short block.

Here is the spun bearing, it is on cyl. # 1. There really isn't that much damage, I could probably have the crank polished, and reuse it, but im not too sure.

Here are all the parts waiting to go onto the rebuilt block

------------------

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No shortcuts this time Mike!
Looks like it'll be back up and running in no time. Then it'll be time to shop for new tires.

------------------

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

No shortcuts this time Mike!
Looks like it'll be back up and running in no time. Then it'll be time to shop for new tires.

I hope so, now its up to the engine shop to get it back to me once I send it out.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recieved the rebuilt block a few days ago, and I am now in the process of putting it back together. I had it fully balanced, and all new ARP fasteners throughout the engine.

The machine shop couldn't understand people mating the camaro flywheel onto the L67 becuase it was so out of balance. The crank was 200 grams out of balance with out the flywheel, and 50 grams out with the flywheel, with a variance of 25 grams from front to back.

I have to add, it is absolutly a nessesity to atleast get your flywheel balanced to the original flexplate that came with the engine. I know a lot of people on the forum are driving an unmatched flywheel on their L67 with no problems, but I think it will take a toll on the main bearings sooner or later.

I should (hopefully) have the swap RE-done in a few days, monday or tuesday.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 04-29-2006).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lets hope it goes better.. you know you're missing those fuel rails though don't ask how I know

I see your CAI setup.. you might want to invest in a K&N wrap or any kind of wrap they block 95% of dirt. My filters were black only after 1 month got the filter wrap 3 months later filter looks red as the day I picked it up

keep us updated!

------------------
3800 SC/IC Fiero Goin' pearl blue...

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, I finished the swap today, but I found out that the engien has a rod knock, so it is garbage. I basicly have to do the whole swap over again.

Here is what I did with the intake, 2 3.5" pipes

This is what I did to the decklid to clear the broken engine

A great pic of the POS engine

I can't believe that I have to deal with this, I have to tear it ALL out again, and do it ALL over!

It would be a good idea to put some radius on the hood cuts. They will give you some stress relieving so a crack dont start at the sharp corners.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

It would be a good idea to put some radius on the hood cuts. They will give you some stress relieving so a crack dont start at the sharp corners.

I intend to glass it in some time soon, I just have a few higher priorities as of right now.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Golden86

1191 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

lets hope it goes better.. you know you're missing those fuel rails though don't ask how I know

HEY! I hope to see those damn fuel logs, and my favorite ORANGE formula at the Dells this year

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 04-30-2006).]

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

<------me being innocent.
You need a set of these too Mike: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059048.html
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will probably buy a set, they look real nice.
PFF
System Bot
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I hear the sweet sound of a whining off in the distance. A loud shrill screaming like a supercharger pushing lots of boost and making lots of power. Also the sound of a tall guy laughing and yelling; It's alive! It's aliiiiive.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Cant wait to see it in person. I got mine going today too.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep, got it running, and driving today. Here are a few pics while it was nice out.

Here is how the exhaust sits, I have to adjust the left tip looking at the pic now

Here is a pic of the big brake swap, I didn't do any documentation on it because I was busy with the engine. I can answer any questions you may have about it if you would like.

My first impression is that this is the fastest friggin car I have ever driven in my life.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 05-04-2006).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see it all worked out in the end and its up and running good for you. Once you get some miles put on it and you wanna bump it up a notch, start collecting parts to due a LS1T B upgrade. It will really make the motor breath and let that cam do it job. I just finished the swap on my motor and its like a whole new motor.
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rode in it yesterday and it's definitely a beast. We even had a guy in traffic ask if it had an "8" in it. Definitely impressed me. No mistaking that it's not stock anymore with it's "rumpity, rump" exhaust sound from the big cam. Plus it has that coola$$ shrill whine when you get on it.
Im ready to go for another ride already. Definitely an awesome car!
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing to look into before you get to driving it to hard, is getting a scanner to scan for KR. With your Mods, you shouldnt be seeing any but then again there is always a chance.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

One thing to look into before you get to driving it to hard, is getting a scanner to scan for KR. With your Mods, you shouldnt be seeing any but then again there is always a chance.

I have my laptop, I built an ALDL cable and will be scanning it today.

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Mike..!! glad too see it on the road and can't wait to see it in person and maybe get a ride in it at the Dells' this year.!

ApexNC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ApexNCClick Here to visit ApexNC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ApexNCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did some more work, I shimmed up the front engine mount, worked out the throttle cable, and hooked up all the hoses.

I used a 1/2 inch aluminum block to shim the front engien mount up. The engine was sitting in there kind of slanted, and making the dogbone not line up.

Here is what I did with the throttle cable. I went out to the parts store, and bought this cable clamp thing

I then drilled out the stock hole to fit the cable clamp

Final product

Here is what I did with the coolant fill, just a simple in line tee. The coolant hose part numbers are AutoZone p/n XL-1004 for the upper/left and Advance Auto p/n E71075 for the lower. thanks Darth.

I basicly just need to do the exhaust.

I'm about a month behind you. I got my 4T65e-HD shifter adapter in this week, throttle cable connected, and I pretty much just need some exhaust welding done. I have a small t on my heater core line, where did you find the larger water line T pictured here? None of the local shops have these. I imagine it makes filling easier being on that side of the thermostat.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got that at the local hot rod shop, it is a 1.25" fill tee. I belive summit also carries them.
PFF
System Bot
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got that at the local hot rod shop, it is a 1.25" fill tee. I belive summit also carries them.

Thought that was the one we picked up at Auto Zone?

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

Thought that was the one we picked up at Auto Zone?

we picked up the cap at AZ, but I got the fill T from E&R.
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, that's why i'm confused. I remember it now, we went to both places on that same day.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Apex, I think I have one that I didnt use for my swap. Ended up putting the T in the heater line instead, interested?

Its made by CSI, got it from summit. LMK and I can find a pic of it and of the same one installed.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
had a guy in a GST race me the other night, he had a buddy with him that had a camera. He said he would put it on street fire, so I searched, and I found it.

He has to get his facts straight, it is not a V8, but an L67

I was also having problems that night, my SES light was on, and I found out today that the cause was a bad knock sensor, so it was retarding the timing. I don't know how much, but it definitly wasn't pulling like it should. I also tore my dogbone bracket in half at some point durring that day, might have been befor, or durring that race.

Hope you like it

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/33396be3-c98f-45b8-ac16-9e03b1856b5b.htm

I will post pics of the bracket some time tommorrow.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

had a guy in a GST race me the other night, he had a buddy with him that had a camera. He said he would put it on street fire, so I searched, and I found it.

He has to get his facts straight, it is not a V8, but an L67

I was also having problems that night, my SES light was on, and I found out today that the cause was a bad knock sensor, so it was retarding the timing. I don't know how much, but it definitly wasn't pulling like it should. I also tore my dogbone bracket in half at some point durring that day, might have been befor, or durring that race.

Hope you like it

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/33396be3-c98f-45b8-ac16-9e03b1856b5b.htm

I will post pics of the bracket some time tommorrow.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059628.html

Nice. I still need a ride in that thing........

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the dog bone mount I was talking about. My uncle has it now, he is re-welding it, and beefing it up so this doesn't happen again. I will have it back tonight, all ready to go on the Dells run.

I also mentioned above that the knock sensor was bad, it wasn't the problem. When the bracket broke, it was creating so much faulse knock that the ECM set a code saying that there was something VERY worng in the engien. Thank goodness it was just the bracket.
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See, told ya it would still make it to the dells. Should i come over and drop stuff on your head while you're putting it back together?

------------------

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice runs on the video. Makes my mouth water!! I definately HAVE to have one shipped to Germany.
slade1274

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slade1274Send a Private Message to slade1274Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!! Makes my mouth water....
Are you running poly eng/trans mounts with the dogbone?

Also, where did you get the low mount alt/dogbone bracket and AC bracket?
PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slade1274:

Nice!! Makes my mouth water....
Are you running poly eng/trans mounts with the dogbone?

Also, where did you get the low mount alt/dogbone bracket and AC bracket?

I am running all poly engine/trans mounts, and a poly dog bone

The bracket is from Purple Reign, and the AC is a stock brqcket off of that engine.

PCTECH

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2006 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PCTECHSend a Private Message to PCTECHEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am running all poly engine/trans mounts, and a poly dog bone

The bracket is from Purple Reign, and the AC is a stock brqcket off of that engine.

I knew that was going to happen to the dogbone. Been there and done that. There has to be a piece of Alumuim welded from the dogbone to the Alt bracket. Good Quailty from Purple Reign. I'm currently making a bracket for someone from VA that Purple Reign never made for him.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:
Nice runs on the video. Makes my mouth water!! I definately HAVE to have one shipped to Germany.

FYI my L67 came from a german GTP..... if youre lucky you may find one closer!

yeah cool vid, cant wait to get my swap going Good to see you got it running.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

we picked up the cap at AZ, but I got the fill T from E&R.

You actually bought something from E&R? They have been so rude to me every time I've never bought anything. But maybe its just me.

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Golden...

Cant wait to see this beast in a couple of days.

Could you bring that ALDL cable and laptop to the Dells? I really would like to see what the hell is going on with my car...
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

You actually bought something from E&R? They have been so rude to me every time I've never bought anything. But maybe its just me.

Yes they are VERY rude, but I needed it ASAP, so I was out of options. I guess if you don't own a big block chevy, they don't car about you.

I would never recommend them to anybody unless your out of all your options.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Golden86

1191 posts
Member since Jan 2004

Originally posted by carbon:

Golden...

Cant wait to see this beast in a couple of days.

Could you bring that ALDL cable and laptop to the Dells? I really would like to see what the hell is going on with my car...

My ALDL cable is kinda integrated into my car, so it's not portabel. I can bring the laptop with the program on it, but it's only the trial version, so it is limited on what it can read.

Basicly what im trying to say is that im useless to you, sorry. LOL

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem... thanks
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just recieved my bracket back from my uncle. He is an amazing welder. He fist welded up the crack on both sides, then he welded a 1/4" aluminum plate to the bracket to strengthen it up.

I also found out that the connector for my knock sensor was cracked, so I purchased a new connector. That should solve the knock sensor problems.

The car is back on the road and ready for the dells

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 05-30-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay