Started on: 11-02-2005 08:21 PM
Replies: 445 (57630 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 05-15-2018 02:37 PM
Golden86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the pics + to you, Im ordering a xp- hot cam and it recommends I install the 105# springs and these retainers, Looking at the pic I won't have to remove the heads to install.

Thanks for the +

Obviously if you are able to swap out springs, you know that you will need a way to hold up the valves if the heads are on the car. I just stuff some rope in the spark plug hole to hold the valve up, works like a charm.

SWEET... page 2

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 12-14-2005).]

IP: Logged
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see your car at the Dell's next year... if I can swing it that is... new kid coming soon and all... Are you going to paint the engine to match your car like you did with the ol' motor?
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, I think I will paint the blower, and valve cover the same color... If my cousin can fit me into his shop.

I will definatly be going to the dells. You should come too, who needs kids JK

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 12-14-2005).]

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref= pd_sl_ov_tops-1_kitchen_7275023_1/102-0094086-8248132?search-alias=kitchen&keywords=smoothie%20machine
Here ya go Mike

Why would you show me that, I already have one in the garage, it's called a 3800

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2005 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Golden86

1191 posts
Member since Jan 2004
I think this page went over the smiley quota
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow... the blender thing went completely over my head...

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Well, Dave is a 3.4 TDC guy, it is a really smooth engine, and the 3800 is not that smooth, thus the shaking, and smothie machines. I don't care how not smooth the engine is, I just want to go fast.

Almost forgot

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Come on Nick, most things go over your head.
Now would I make fun of my good friend Mike with some kind of shaking machine comment? I think not! <halo appears over head>
http://www.openshaw.co.nz/lists/Dairy_09da.htm
Oh and

[This message has been edited by Dave Gunsul (edited 12-15-2005).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my mount in today, THANKS TIM!

I am still waiting on GMpartsdirect.com for my engine gaskets, I need them to put my engine back together.

Things have been going pretty slow latley, gotta pay bills first.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was finally above freezing today, so I did some work. I dropped the whole engine. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the C500 plug out, it had a stripped bolt in it. Besides that, everything went pretty smooth. here are a few pic.

The last time the ol' 2.8 will ever be in this car

Started to tare everything out, I have a ton of room for my air intake in the rear fender

Slowly dropping it making sure EVERYTHING is disconnected

AND ITS OUT!

It took me a total of about 3 hours with my dads help, not too bad for my first time dropping the cradle. I still have to re-assemble the L67, and obviously do the wiring and such, but its a start.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 02-26-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Impressive work! Thanks for the pics too.

Pete

------------------

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was probably easier to drop out than a normal 2.8 cuz there was no oil in it.

------------------

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was probably easier to drop out than a normal 2.8 cuz there was no oil in it.

that was SO not my fault!

poncho_101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for poncho_101Send a Private Message to poncho_101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, thanks for posting all the pictures, and I love that color. I have just started my swap this week, the motor finially arrived. Keep them coming. David
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice buildup!

Btw who makes these besides WCF?

Originally posted by Golden86:
Just got my mount in today, THANKS TIM!

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Nice buildup!

Actually Tim (AKA FieroSTS) made that for me, I still have to pay him for it. He has never made one for a manual 3800 fiero swap yet, so mine is kinda the test car. It is a nice peice of work, great welds, and a great price.

Sean (AKA Purplereign) also makes those mounts.

Thanks for all the kind words everybody.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 02-27-2006).]

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He has never made one for a manual 3800 fiero swap yet, so mine is kinda the test car.

Is there a difference between the Auto and Manual mounts? If so, What is the difference?

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spiff:

Is there a difference between the Auto and Manual mounts? If so, What is the difference?

I dont think there is, but when sean installes either of the swaps, the auto is always sitting more towards the drivers side.

pollock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pollockSend a Private Message to pollockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's about time someone did a set of drawings for 3800 mounts.
SeattleRedFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeattleRedFormulaSend a Private Message to SeattleRedFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who makes a front engine bracket to fit a 3800 Series II on the stock 88 liquid-filled rubber engine mount?

Thanks in advance.
--Jim C.

PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SeattleRedFormula:

Who makes a front engine bracket to fit a 3800 Series II on the stock 88 liquid-filled rubber engine mount?

Thanks in advance.
--Jim C.

To my knowledge, the mounts are all the same for all years with a V6, but I am not 100%. I am not too sure you would want to use the stock mount with a 3800SC, it will probably rip it to peices. I am using Rodneys poly engine and trans mounts.

SeattleRedFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeattleRedFormulaSend a Private Message to SeattleRedFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking about a 3800 SII NA. If I use a dogbone then the stock engine mount is not going to get too stressed, is it?
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SeattleRedFormula:

I'm thinking about a 3800 SII NA. If I use a dogbone then the stock engine mount is not going to get too stressed, is it?

You might be ok with a dogbone. It really depends on your driving, I could use the stock mounts with my built engine, but I would have to drive it like a grandma if I wanted them to survive.

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Nice buildup!

JR at www.kitcarman.com and your engine sets in strait too...
I think Darth Fiero makes them for conversions--but not sure on re-sale... By the way Golden86 nice job on your conversion--you`ll love it...

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some more work last night, but the server where I store my photos was not working, so I have to post now. I basicly put back together the 3800. I am still waiting for my IC, so the intake will still not be installed just yet.

I swapped over the rockers from the old heads onto my new P&P heads, I also installed new Comp Cams rocker bolt.

Next we pulled off the front cover to replace the cam, and the timing set to a roller timing set.

Next we cleaned the deck surface,a nd cleaned some of the carbon off the pistons, nice and clean now

And last we installed the heads, pushrods, lifters, and front cover with new waterpump(not shown)

It is finally starting to look like an engine again.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was not carbon on the top of those pistons All L-67 pistons have a black ceramic coat on top of there pistons, To reflect heat, It's not a good idea to remove that stuff.

Don't let this scare you, Ppl on the intense site has done the same thing, Here's a thread on it, You should be fine.

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4799&highlight=coating+pistons

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

That was not carbon on the top of those pistons All L-67 pistons have a black ceramic coat on top of there pistons, To reflect heat, It's not a good idea to remove that stuff.

Don't let this scare you, Ppl on the intense site has done the same thing, Here's a thread on it, You should be fine.

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4799&highlight=coating+pistons

I don't think a little rubber scrubbing disk will remove a ceramic coating, if it did, then it shouldn't be there in the first place. Thanks for the heads up, but I am not going to worry about it.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished another one of my little projects.

My Autometer gauges showed up today, so I thought I would build the enclosure for them. I like where the Aux gauges sit, and I really wanted to add a boost gauge. I bought 3 gauges, Boost, Oil Pressure, and Volts. I am going to replace the two aux gauges with the three autometer gauges.

I saw this done on this board a few times by several people, and I really like the way it looks.

First, here are the gauges, 2 1/16 in size.

Next I pulled off the aux gauge cover. I used it as a template to make my gauge holders. It is 1/8" ABS plastic with three holes drilled into it, and cut just like the factory cover.

The finished product with a three gauges in, I think it will look nice with the stock interior. They even have a red back light to them.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 03-03-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2006 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just finished another one of my little projects.

My Autometer gauges showed up today, so I thought I would build the enclosure for them. I like where the Aux gauges sit, and I really wanted to add a boost gauge. I bought 3 gauges, Boost, Oil Pressure, and Volts. I am going to replace the two aux gauges with the three autometer gauges.

I saw this done on this board a few times by several people, and I really like the way it looks.

First, here are the gauges, 2 1/16 in size.

Next I pulled off the aux gauge cover. I used it as a template to make my gauge holders. It is 1/8" ABS plastic with three holes drilled into it, and cut just like the factory cover.

The finished product with a three gauges in, I think it will look nice with the stock interior. They even have a red back light to them.

I like the idea, Im planing on installing a boost gauge myself. And was trying to figure were should I mount mine. I also wanted a aftermarket oil and temp guage.

If I could give 2 + I would.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-03-2006).]

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit more got finished tonight, not much because I am waiting on parts. We installed the lower intake, and the oil pan.

I recieved my IC a few days ago, it is a full size ZZP intercooler. It is used, and I gat an AMAZING deal on it, some of you might actually be mad at me if I told you the price. I have the Core, the machined lower intake, a Flo-Jet pump, radiator, all the hardware, and TONS of hose, all for one low, low price of...

heres a pic of the core

Here you can see the difference between the stock lower intake(right side), and the machined lower intake(left side).

Here is the engine with the IC, and supercharger on it

Now all I have to do is get that damn stock pulley off.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 03-06-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've had that setup in my car for a couple years now.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I've had that setup in my car for a couple years now.

Well, then I saw it in your car... so there.

Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
slowly getting there. I mounted my modified GTP tensionor bracket, accessory tensionor, and alternator.

Here is the difference between the normal GTP bracket, and my modified cut GTP bracket. I think that little "ear" is going to hit the firewall, so I cut it off, it also looks better. There is a few differente views of it.

Here is my accessory tensionor, it is Autozone part #305217, I have NO CLUE what it is off of, the parts guy didn't even know, but it works

I had to do a little surgery to my dog bone bracket to make it fit

One thing I never even knew about this swap is that the stock Fiero alternator is a 5 rib pulley, while the 3800 setup is 6 rib. All I had to do is go down to the local parts store, and ask for a 6 rib pulley for an alternator. He brought me into the back, and showed me this GIANT box of alternator pulleys that they keep from all the reman alternators. I just found a 6 rib, and bolted it up, works great.

Thats it for tonight

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 03-08-2006).]

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it done yet? Jebus, I need to shake the bugs out of it and see if I can wreck your rear tires in record time. Hmm, wonder what Guiness record for blowing up tires is. reasearch time!
I'll be happy to stand around in the garage and JAFO. When you get under the thing, i'll toss the hammer.
"Shaken, not stirred."
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is it done yet? Jebus, I need to shake the bugs out of it and see if I can wreck your rear tires in record time. Hmm, wonder what Guiness record for blowing up tires is. reasearch time!
I'll be happy to stand around in the garage and JAFO. When you get under the thing, i'll toss the hammer.
"Shaken, not stirred."

IS YOURS DONE YET?!?!?

Speaking of your swap, did James die or something, any email I send him get rejected....

I NEED MY CLUTCH!

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soon. Waiting on those custom parts ya know. Plus, it'd sure make my happy to get those newer intakes on there but they're a real pain to find it seems. :O/
Dunno about James, haven't emailed him. Last time I talked with him was on the phone. PM him if it's rejecting you. I'll send an email to him and see if it's working or if you're just a 'tard like usual.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I am just about finished with the engine build.

I mounted my autometer oil pressure sensor in the factory oil light location. I had to use a 90 degree fiting to clear the alternator.

I finally got my stock pulley pressed off, and now I have my 3.0 modular pulley on. It looks so much nicer.

Pic of the full engine

Now all I have to do is put all the sensors on it, and mount the fuel rail. I wish I could find a way to make the fuel rail look nice, and not use rubber hose to extend it for the IC.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! The clutch went out today.
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Looking good! The clutch went out today.

NICE! I thought you died or something, NOBODY could get a hold of you, even over he phone. Well... it's good to know your still alive.

Hopefully my clutch wont get arrested again on the way down here.

Thanks again James.

[This message has been edited by Golden86 (edited 03-10-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay