Started on: 09-05-2005 06:31 PM
Replies: 146 (19384 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 09-14-2018 01:58 PM
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reupholstering the passenger's seat bottom section in the red coupe.
IP: Logged
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

30+mpg:...After sewing the foam to the fabric, sew the center foam fabric kickups to the side bolsters.

Next, sew the side bolsters & kickups to the center panel.

Hmm, these photos make it a lot easier to figure out. I'm glad I posted these way back when.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought these tutorials might be useful:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/

Bob
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2011 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reupholstering the passenger's seatback. A few more photos:

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 08-30-2011).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2011 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The last of four surfaces done!

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 09-12-2011).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great write up but i dont think i saw a list of material on here. plus do you use hog rings? mind are really really bad and would like to do this got some vinyl and cloth already plus button thread what else do i need? maybe foam?

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaredmurray88:... i dont think i saw a list of material on here. plus do you use hog rings? mind are really really bad and would like to do this got some vinyl and cloth already plus button thread what else do i need? maybe foam?

From the very first post:

"One may still purchase grey ripple seat cloth for US$14.98/yd from
http://www.yourautotrim.com
They may still have saddle tan also."

Later it is stated 1 yard per seat.

Hog rings? They are shown being cut so I would recommend replacing them when the new fabric is installed
unless you want to be the first to try zip ties.

Type of thread is a function of what the machine you're using can handle.

Some or all of the foam may be suitable for reuse depending on what shape it is in.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 04-21-2012).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if this has been asked before: But WHAT KIND of "sewing machine" is needed ??? Is a "household machine" up to the task ? what needle, how thick , & what kind of thread ??? I'm thinking of taking this on if the "Machine " will handle it. Thanks
PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used my wife's Sears Kenmore Convertible Sewing machine Model 1781 with a #15 needle.

It didn't have the power to pull button thread, so I used Coats & Clark All Purpose thread.

However, if one has a more powerful machine then it may be able to use a heavier thread.

If anyone requires additional info about sewing machines, go to:

http://sewingforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

or buy something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sin...31c33b#ht_500wt_1156
A Singer 328K Industrial Strength Sewing Machine - Upholstery,Canvas,Leather VG NR

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 04-21-2012).]

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you use the hog ring pliers?

Im getting the cloth from someone on here, so I wont have to rebuild them, but I do have to remove and replace the cloth. This is new territory for me.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Squeeze em.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see this one bump up. Will be starting my seats this weekend.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TRcrazy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRcrazySend a Private Message to TRcrazyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm re-doing my 86 GT seats if anyone's interested I'll post the process with pictures. -Vinny

The best book I could get my hands on,read it over and over. Explains everything from Industrial Sewing Machines to different materials, foam, thread, stitch types, seat covers, door panels, headliners, what tools are needed and step by step instructions.
Automotive Upholstery Handbook by Don Taylor

[This message has been edited by TRcrazy (edited 10-15-2013).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This guy uses some hog ring pliers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nMzIBjniI
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRcrazy:

I'm re-doing my 86 GT seats if anyone's interested I'll post the process with pictures. -Vinny

The best book I could get my hands on,read it over and over. Explains everything from Industrial Sewing Machines to different materials, foam, thread, stitch types, seat covers, door panels, headliners, what tools are needed and step by step instructions.
Automotive Upholstery Handbook by Don Taylor

Welcome to PFF, Vinny. Now where are the pictures??

Bob

TRcrazy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRcrazySend a Private Message to TRcrazyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bob, you're on! I will post pics on the seat covers as I make them. Would this be better in a new thread? I'll be continuing thru my 512TR replica with making a dash , console and upholstered door panels over this winter. thanks , Vinny

[This message has been edited by TRcrazy (edited 10-24-2013).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good bump. Now I just need to find the courage. Where did I leave my liquid courage?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

One may still purchase grey ripple seat cloth for US$14.98/yd from
http://www.yourautotrim.com

How does one search/find the right material on that site?
Also, ripple, that must be what Pontiac called Pallex?
Would they have the other pattern such as found in Formula and GT seats as well?
Thanks
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally replacing the original tan cloth on the passenger's side seat back. Traced a pattern on poster board. By flipping it, it can be used for both sides of the seat back.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 01-23-2017).]

airwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2017 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for airwrenchSend a Private Message to airwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody find a source for matching fabrics? I contacted yourautotrim.com (the linked to company at the beginning of this post), and they no longer have the 1988 fabric, Detroit #8515 Gray. They gave me another company in Oregon, SMS Auto fabrics, that I'm contacting. I'll post what they reply.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2018 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Redoing the driver's seat bottom that I reupholstered in 1999. The material is good for about 20 years.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2018 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by airwrench:

Anybody find a source for matching fabrics? I contacted yourautotrim.com (the linked to company at the beginning of this post), and they no longer have the 1988 fabric, Detroit #8515 Gray. They gave me another company in Oregon, SMS Auto fabrics, that I'm contacting. I'll post what they reply.

I received a sample from SMS of what was supposedly the exact factory 88 tan cloth and it is close but not the same. While the color is similar, the pattern is a diamond pattern while the original is a square pattern and no it can't just be rotated 45 degrees.

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 09-14-2018).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock