How to reupholster a seat by 30+mpg
Started on: 09-05-2005 06:31 PM
Replies: 146 (19374 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 09-14-2018 01:58 PM
theratdude64

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I really REALLY gotta follow this guide. The seats in my fiero are just all kinds of messed up

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view. :'(

IP: Logged
slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a really useful thread.

I took apart a seat I had a while ago to do this as well. I got about as far as tracing out the patterns but don't have the time at the moment to finish.

I would like to see any detailed pictures of how you went about sewing the seats up.

Do you just lay them together inside out and go for it?

It seams (little joke with spelling there...hehe) that it might get kind of tricky with some of the smaller pieces that make up the bolsters.

Great thread.....you got a plus from me.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean like this messed up?

On the main front panel, sew the side flaps in place before sewing on any other panels.

One tool that really helps is a seam ripper. That way, if you make a sewing mistake, just cut the threads & try again.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-12-2006).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Next sew all 3 front panels togther along the top or bottom edge. The top panel is recycled. That's why it was shown getting washed earlier in this topic.

Then pin the panels together w/ straight pins at the V notches to keep the fabric from moving while sewing the panels together.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 10-14-2005).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4 edges sewn
slickrick2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to try this with some good vinyl, but the sewing machine my wife has just can't handle the job.

I have the pieces all cut and ready to go ( packed away since my move), and need to try and find a better machine.

I would try leather, but I'm not stupid enough to waste all that money on leather that will be hacked up by my non existent sewing skills. Vinyl is cheaper and if you get the right stuff, it can be as nice as leather.

Thanks for this thread....I think I'll go dig out that box thats still packed away.

D-zone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D-zoneSend a Private Message to D-zoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made mine this summer(vinyl), it's hard but the result is really nice. I got help from a friend for sewing, she has a professional machine.

http://community.webshots.com/album/477942211oIgltE

I have embosse FIERO at the top of the seat.]
I hope that will give idea.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem: When sewing through two plys of foam, the thicker foam creates too much fricton on the thread. When the needle comes back up it won't pull the thread tight on the bottom even with the tension setting on the sewing machine at max.

Solution: Increase tension on the thread by pressing the thread against the side of the machine with your thumb. By pressing hard one can increase the drag on the thread such that the needle pulls the thread back up through the foam.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 10-24-2005).]

AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by D-zone:

I made mine this summer(vinyl), it's hard but the result is really nice. I got help from a friend for sewing, she has a professional machine.

http://community.webshots.com/album/477942211oIgltE

I have embosse FIERO at the top of the seat.]
I hope that will give idea.

looks good, how much did it cost to make?

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a suggested sequence:
1. Sew the narrow bolsters to the sides of the front panel along w/ the black rod retainers.
2. Sew the wide bolsters to the back panel.
3. Sew the wide bolsters to the narrow bolsters.
4. Sew side headrest panels to headrest strip.
5. Sew headrest to lower panels w/ the black rod retainer on the front.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-03-2006).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
So how is all this stuff suppose to fit back together?

Here's how:

PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2005 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a great thread !!! I know, I know, bad joke.

Bookmarked!

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052322.html#lastpost
My rear defuser
It will be painted at the end of summer!

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 10-28-2005).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 2 rods that hold the seat front in place have flat ends that make them hard to slide in the fabric loop.

Grind a smooth taper on the ends so they won't catch the fabric.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-06-2006).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the results.

If I do anymore, I'll use 1/4" thick foam instead of 1/2". The thicker foam was harder to sew with a home machine. 1/2" made the upper bolsters pucker.

One could even wash and reuse the console side bolster foam from the original upholstery if it isn't damaged.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 03-07-2009).]

GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice finished product .
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, no holes, and it will be a bunch of years before they reappear. Not bad for $30. I still have enough material to do the seat bottom and the passenger's seat complete.
Vader

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VaderClick Here to visit Vader's HomePageSend a Private Message to VaderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a Moderator in the house? Shouldn't this thread be a "sticky", really?

------------------
All advice is free, so you can be certain you're getting your money's worth...

Notchie Luvin David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Notchie Luvin DavidSend a Private Message to Notchie Luvin DavidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job, that tan seat looks particularly amazing! This has been a great thread to follow, almost exciting as some of the engine swaps simply because it's such a plausible project; especially since the fiero is my only vehicle. I've yet to decide completely on a color scheme for my interior, and hopefully once Christmas has blown through, I'll have enough money left over to buy a sewing machine. I need to do some research first though, since I'm currently completely clueless. I've browsed through sewing machines in a few places, and to be honest, I can hardly tell the difference between the $99 models and the $500 ones. I don't want to be paying extra for useless features and stitches I'll never use, but none of them seem to mention what kind of load they can handle. I've asked a couple salespeople, and they all say if I want to do upholstery, I'll need the heavy duty, expensive ones. To do a professional job, they are probably correct, but for the amount I expect to use it, I think "barely adequate" would suit me fine :P What about the older style sewing machines with the big wheel on the side? Seems to me, that if one of those machines was having trouble, you could just turn the wheel by hand, and keep it going? The newer machines have no provisions for manual input, so if it couldn't hack it, you'd be SOL.. Anyone here have some basic pointers for me on how to select a sewing machine?
Thanks a lot,
David

[This message has been edited by Notchie Luvin David (edited 12-03-2005).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who said sewing is for girls Great job, I bet after they relax a little bit they will look even better.
I tried to make some visor covers but the machine we have wouldnt sew through the foam. I think I will take it in and get it cleaned and oiled and try again. Thanks again for posting this.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notchie Luvin David:...Anyone here have some basic pointers for me on how to select a sewing machine?
Thanks a lot,
David

From ebay.com
"1004 items found for sewing machine in Sewing Machines & Sergers
Show only: Max Price: $50.00"

Don't you have any female relatives that you could bum the use of a machine off of?

PFF
System Bot
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2005 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great how-to.
but now a question for those of us who aren't satisfied with the fiero seats.
what would you have to do in order to make the side bolsters a little deeper? cause i have some spare seats, and looking at them they are all reinforced inside with a metal frame. would this frame need to be extended as well? or could you just cut off the stock side bolsters and make some larger ones from the foam material? i've been looking at them for a while trying to figure out the best way to do it, i figure you probably have some good ideas, or at least some advice to keep me on track. thanks
Notchie Luvin David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2005 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Notchie Luvin DavidSend a Private Message to Notchie Luvin DavidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

From ebay.com
"1004 items found for sewing machine in Sewing Machines & Sergers
Show only: Max Price: $50.00"

Don't you have any female relatives that you could bum the use of a machine off of?

Heh, I love ebay
But still, that selection is a little, erm, intimidating..
I still have no idea what I'm looking at. Well, except for this one of course, I'm pretty sure it could handle upholstery

A little bit above my planned price range, but I could have a lot of fun with that machine, it can do double stitching for example, which could make for some really nicely upholstered leather or vinyl stuff.
hmmmm
Still pretty much lost on most of the other units though :P

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now back to part 2,

THE SEAT BOTTOM

Typical wear. Fabric on front center is worn thin, also notice the hole next to adjuster.

Time to pull the seat & remove the seat bottom upholstery.

Remove the seat back if you haven't already done so.

That's my cheap indoor set of sockets for the basement. My good tools are in the garage.

Next, remove the seat frame rails.

Cut the 14 hog rings holding the upholstery to the foam & steel seat bottom.

Next, cut the 4 hog rings holding the back of the top center fabric.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-02-2006).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Lift up the front and cut the 2 rings holding the loop at the end of the 2 rods.

Off with the old!

Some reference photos of how things are sewn together before we cut the seams & seperate the panels.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This not my first seat bottom, but this one was, about 6 years ago.

Then my second, about 3 years ago.

More assembly pics:

Wet sand the rust from the seat rods and grind a bullet point on the ends to make them easy to slide back in.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
The vinyl part of the seat where the fabric attaches has stretched.

To fix this problem, I'll mark the center section pattern a bit longer on the edge that attaches to the vinyl. That way I can sew in front of the stretched holes.

To use the seat while stitching new material, I can slip on old seat cover onto the bottom.

Someone has asked about a seat cover for the upper part, Here's the upper part turned inside out showing the rod guides and the top strip, all from blue jean mat'l. The top strip has a piece of heavy wire inside it so the hog rings won't tear thru the denim.

The bottom is easier than the back. Fewer pieces.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-03-2006).]

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always wante an excuse to learn to sew, I guess this is it. Thanks for the great write up.

Galen
Mr.Chipps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.ChippsSend a Private Message to Mr.ChippsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not an upholestry person, however I do know that this kind of fabric has a grain to it. Align all the pattern pieces with the grain going in the same direction IE: top to bottom. or it will have a funny feel when touching the different panels and I'm guessing it will wear differently.

------------------
1987 L4 Coupe Automatic

[This message has been edited by Mr.Chipps (edited 06-03-2006).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.Chipps:I'm not an upholestry person, however I do know that this kind of fabric has a grain to it. Align all the pattern pieces with the grain going in the same direction IE: top to bottom. or it will have a funny feel when touching the different panels and I'm guessing it will wear differently.

Look closely at the above pic of the old patterns on the new roll of fabric. All of the old fabric letters & numbers are in the same direction as the lettering on the new roll.
linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered everything I need, Wife is game for doing the sewing, however my Current seats are 7 out of 10 (pass 9 out of 10), The drivers side Vynal is ripped. I hate to rip these seats apart so that leaves me to buy junk yard trashed ones or get patterns from someone, anyone want to make me a pattern?

PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

linenoise:...The drivers side Vynal is ripped...

What panel?
Did you order new vinyl?

I reused all the vinyl parts in the seats I've done, replacing some foam and all of the fabric.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What panel?
Did you order new vinyl?

I reused all the vinyl parts in the seats I've done, replacing some foam and all of the fabric.

Yes new Vinyl, The Section right next to the E-Brake
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2006 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

linenoise:... I hate to rip these seats apart so that leaves me to buy junk yard trashed ones or get patterns from someone, anyone want to make me a pattern?

?????Are you emotionally attached to worn out upholstery? ??

Just buy some cheap slipcovers. You're gonna have to take the worn out fabric off sooner or later, plus patterns won't provide you w/ the thick contoured foam that's sewn into the center fabric sections of the back & bottom of the seats.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-04-2006).]

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

?????Are you emotionally attached to worn out upholstery? ??

Just buy some cheap slipcovers. You're gonna have to take the worn out fabric off sooner or later, plus patterns won't provide you w/ the thick contoured foam that's sewn into the center fabric sections of the back & bottom of the seats.

I just hate to think about tearing these up just to fix the minor tear on the drivers side.

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2006 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30+ I've been in your car that you've finished allready, and I can say that it was a really good job.

I'll be following this thread lol

Brad
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

linenoise:I just hate to think about tearing these up just to fix the minor tear on the drivers side.

Passenger's side looks good, you don't need to do anything to it.

Can't see the problem on the driver's side
linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only problem on the drivers side is a 2" tear on the vinyal by the ebrake.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

linenoise:...on the drivers side is a 2" tear on the vinyal by the ebrake.

Easy, just remove and replace that panel only. Don't cut apart any of the other seams.

Meanwhile, back to progress

After sewing the foam to the fabric, sew the center foam fabric kickups to the side bolsters.

Next, sew the side bolsters & kickups to the center panel.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-05-2006).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seat bottom upholstery assembly sequence

1. Kickups to side bolsters

2. Rod runners to side bolsters

3. Contoured foam stitching across center panel

4. Center panel to side bolsters

5. Back vinyl to center panel.

6. Vinyl sides to side bolsters

Due to the thickness of the vinyl side panel + vinyl beading, I'm using this method to attach the side bolsters.

This assures good piping alignment due to the reuse of previous holes in the vinyl.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock