Started on: 09-05-2005 06:31 PM
Replies: 146 (19386 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 09-14-2018 01:58 PM
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taa Dahh!

Finished!
USFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
super cool, but a little beyond my abilities (or patience, or time manangement). A question: do you think mixing 1/4 inch and 1/2 foam for the bolsters and seating area would be the ticket? I'd like to get a skoosh more support in the lower back area... Or find an inflateable bladder insert to slip under there. And, if I wanted to use vinyl on the bolsters and fabric for the center, will there be issues? I imagine if one wanted to be super bold, they'd put in some piping. I suppose that means a stronger machine is needed, and a steadier hand/eye...
No point in spending the money at the local upholstery shop on having them do it until I repair the AC... which I am doing myself. So, maybe I can justify that to the wife since I'm saving $$$ by doing it myself....
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For lower back:
Get a chunk of foam & shape as desired.
Unzip seat upholstery at bottom of back.
Insert foam thru unzipped opening
Position as desired.
Zip opening shut
Done
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump so I can add to favorites. Great build

Bob
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump good threads should never die.
Brian Lamberts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to do my own reupholstery. Regular sewing machines are mostly not adequate for the job.

Since owning Fieros, I've found it far easier (and comparable in price) to look for and install used seat skins--they are pretty plentiful, and quite often the passenger side skins are like new. It's easy to install pax side skins on the drivers side seats, BTW.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2007 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
30+mpg: Which cloth is a match for the Fiero diamond pattern at Autotrim.com? I was looking through their website, but couldn't tell which was a match.

thanx,
Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm...No word from 30+mpg...Hope all is well....In the mean time, I ordered my samples and a book.

Samples:

Indy Dk Charcaol Velour
Indy Lt Charcoal Velour
Interlude 2000 graphite tweed
Interlude 2000 cardinal tweed
Suede sample chip chart

Bob
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030531-2-030024.html

Sorry for the slow response. Been busy with house remodeling.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the link. I've gone through that site inside out and upside down. How did you get the links to those GM cloths?

Bob
PFF
System Bot
cheezyboys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2007 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cheezyboysSend a Private Message to cheezyboysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i recently tried to reupholster my seats with vinyl to give it that leater look. Bad idea. The vinyl doesn't bend very well and it takes a lot of work to get it to look nice. Stick with fabric
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Thanx for the link. I've gone through that site inside out and upside down. How did you get the links to those GM cloths?

Bob

In "Search" type in "Saddle"
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search function? Hmm..I've heard of that. That was very useful. Thank you.

I ordered 5 more samples this morning.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gray material that looked like the Fiero's diamond velour pattern was discontinued.
But I've done the usual and gone a different direction. I've ordered the Dk Grey Rave vinyl, and Cardinal Red tweed for my seats. Now to see if I can pull it off...

Bob
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have new gray material for the main CENTER section of the seat for 84 SE seats... with the stripe down the center.
Back of the seat material can be reused, and the material on the "side bolsters" can be had from most any upolstrey shop.

Contact me if your interest. I can email pics.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool. Would this method work to increase the side and bottom bolsters?

I would really love the look and feel of stock racing seats (Mitsubishi EVO, Subaru Sti, Dodge Viper/Srt-4) without having to get new seats all together and having to give up the Fiero seats.

-Max

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-30-2007).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Material is in...Yeah!!! They set the wrong color tweed, black instead of red...Boo!!! They are re-sending some red at their cost. Yeah!!!

Bob
jyoconnell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jyoconnellSend a Private Message to jyoconnellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know where I can purchase a new seat cover (grey 84 sport). I don't think I would be able to make as described in this thread.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Far from done, but this is what I have so far:

This is using black tweed (accidently sent to me), red tweed, and graphite Rave vinyl. Don't know when I'll get a chance to finish.

Bob

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a suggestion, but you might want to use piping on those. The bolsters are high wear spots and it makes the curves look alot smoother.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a suggestion, but you might want to use piping on those. The bolsters are high wear spots and it makes the curves look alot smoother.

I have both red and grey piping, but I did not know whether the machine would go through it all. So, pretty much, too late...

Besides, that's not mounted yet. It's just sitting on there.

Bob
clok1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2007 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for clok1966Send a Private Message to clok1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent thread (just noticed it). I did this for a living for 10 years (loved it, but more money in sitting on your butt at a desk). One thing i might add that may help some of you line stuff up. Before you take your old seats apart take a marker (notice i said OLD SEATS, the ones you are going to cut apart for a patern) and mark about every 6 inchs between the two pieces of material at all seams. It also helps to lable the marks, with A----Seam----A (seam is your actual seam you are going to rip apart) B---B, C---C, etc use AA----AA etc if you run out of letters. Now when you cut your patterns out you can mark the same lines and letters on them BUT! DO NOT MARK with a PEN or MARKER on the new pieces, get a fabric pencil (sorta like a really hard crayon). A MARKER OR PEN may with age, heat or spilled liquid show through someday. Now when you stich stuff together you have marks to line up, this helps quite a bit when going around corners as its very easy to tug one peice of material more then the other. You may want more marks on tight curves or wierd angles.

Another tip, If you want a little more cushion. If the bottom is weak or wore out, or the foam seems "shot" here are some things you can do. First, find a clothing STEAMER... its just what it sounds like, it shoots steam out, you fill it with water and plug it in, it makes steam that you can point at a specific location. Take the foam and STEAM the crap out of it! the steam will (if your foam isnt totally shot) make your foam go back to its original un-smashed state. Some foam is Closed cell and this wont really work, but most it will work on. The guy who started this thread washed his ( think it was him) this might do the same thing, wash it and dry it in a dryer? Not sure never tried it. You should also be able to add some foam (as mentioned earlier in this thread) to the flat middle parts of the seat. I would keep it to 1/2 inch to 1 inch max and cut it the same size as the peice its on top of. Adding to much foam can put alot of stress on seams.

Tip for putting the new seat back on if your having problems . There is something called SILK FILM ( it has other names too) its a very thin, almost tissue like fabric that is..hmm best term i can think of, SLIPPERY. this will make slidding the new fabric around on your seat foam easier if you need to twist it and make it sit better. it comes in a roll about 3 feet wide. just drap it over your seat and then pull the new cover over it. its light and easy to punch through with Hog Rings.

Also once you are all done, if you have a few small wrinkles in edges or wherever, the steamer can help with those too! ONE THING, some material does not like steam, velvets, valors, stuff like that. Its best to steam a extra piece before hand to make sure it wont cuase you problems! If it looks like it wont make problems for your material take it steam it and pull gently on seams and areas with wrinkles alot of time you can pull them out with some care. Steam can shrink your fabric some and this will also pull it tighter and pull out wrinkles. Anotehr way to get out wrinkles in edges ( this is the cheap dirty way) is buy some batting, looks like a roll of cotton or white fiberglass. Take and cut some off and stuff it into problem spots like edges to fill them out a bit. Of course this wont work for flat areas, but it works great in edges.

Here is some more advanced stuff, some not so easy to do without a very good (can sew through several layers of cloth) machine and a very steady hand):

Somebody mentioned piping/weltcord (the round stuff between seems on most edges of seats). This will make seams follow the foam edges better and give the seam a "guide" so to speak so it looks good. But there is a Downside to this stuff especially in the Fiero. When you get in and out you rub that edge of the seat bottom and almost always back lumbar wing (what ever its called) almost all Fiero seats are wore there if they have any miles on them. The Piping/weltcord is sorta like an extra snag to grab. When you push over it, it has a little extra snag, which in turn pulls at the thread in that spot. keep in mind its not alot, but its more then a smooth seam. And unfortantly it will wear quciker with this. This is the old Catch-22, it looks better with it, but wears faster. I prefer to not use it and double stich the seams. To double stitch a seam you do one of two things. One you lay the fabric all to one side and go on the TOP (the part you sit on) and stitch it right by the seam, abouty 1/8th an inch away. Or number 2, you take and cut a 1 inch wide strip, lay the fabric back on itself and put the ich piece down the middle and stitch on both sides of the seam (strong, but alot of work and takes a steady hand to make it look good).

Sorry no pictures, some of it may be hard to understand without them. If anybody has any questions at all feel free to PM me. I may not answer right way, but i will. I check the forums at least once a week normally. And yes I know Im a crappy speller

Clok

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the advice Clok,
I am doing the double stitch as you mentioned. Not perfect, but not bad for a first attempt.

Bob
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump* to keep from archives.
cerulean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plus to 30+mpg.

This thread is a great reference to anyone who wants to reupholster their own seats. Here's my drivers seat that I just finished:

Bob
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was researching upholstery, and I found this site. It looks really good.

http://www.garysupholstery.com/index.html

Any opinions on it? There's lots of choices, so when I comes time for me to reupholster, I've definitely got lots of factors to include!

I haven't read the thread yet, so if this is a repeat question, my appologies. Does anyone have comments on Fiero seats in general?
Is it worth it to put time effort and money into reupholstering my stock seats? Should I invest in a upgrade to reuphoster? I'm on a budget.
How are they in terms of weight?
How are they in terms of rigidness? Mine are '84's, if that makes a difference.

-Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

He who dies with the most toys... still dies.

Check out my restoration!

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out http://www.atrim.com/Page89.html for similar to OEM seat fabric.
Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, would it be possible to get scans of the patterns you made uploaded? I understand the whole thing wouldn't fit on a scanner, but if you put reference lines on the pattern, it should be easy to piece together and get acurate recreations... I need my Fiero on a daily basis, and just can't go tearing out the seat without having something to replace it with right away... It would be really helpfull, and save me alot of money
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweetskeys. added to favs

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Twilight Fenrir:Hey, would it be possible to get scans of the patterns you made uploaded? I understand the whole thing wouldn't fit on a scanner, but if you put reference lines on the pattern, it should be easy to piece together and get accurate recreations... I need my Fiero on a daily basis, and just can't go tearing out the seat without having something to replace it with right away... It would be really helpful, and save me alot of money

No, not from me.

It should be easy to obtain old worn upholstery from a Fiero seat from which new patterns could be traced. Also, if you are the only occupant in your DD, pull the passenger's seat. The driver & passenger seats use the same patterns.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 09-01-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2009 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

No, not from me.

It should be easy to obtain old worn upholstery from a Fiero seat from which new patterns could be traced. Also, it you are the only occupant in your DD, pull the passenger's seat. The driver & passenger seats use the same patterns.

Heh, I thought about that... but, my passenger seat is pristine XD I don't think it was ever sat in :P And my drivers-side has alot of compromised seams besides the holes in the fabric, I doubt it's intact enough to make a copy from, though the foam beneath it is still good. Oh well, I'll find a way.
cerulean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2009 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ceruleanSend a Private Message to ceruleanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Twilight Fenrir:
Heh, I thought about that... but, my passenger seat is pristine XD I don't think it was ever sat in :P And my drivers-side has alot of compromised seams besides the holes in the fabric, I doubt it's intact enough to make a copy from, though the foam beneath it is still good. Oh well, I'll find a way.

Compromised seams don't matter since you're going to "dismember" the cover along those seams any ways. Thing of it as making the job easier.

Bob
Twilight Fenrir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cerulean:

Compromised seams don't matter since you're going to "dismember" the cover along those seams any ways. Thing of it as making the job easier.

Bob

By compromised, I mean the fabric that connects at the seams is gone... there are holes that trans-verse the seams, leaving me an in-complete outline.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have more I-did-it-myself seat upholstery pics to post?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a heavy duty machine now, but I've yet to fire it up.

Bob
neuro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neuroSend a Private Message to neuroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody want to mail me some patterns?
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2009 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR:I have a heavy duty machine now, but I've yet to fire it up.Bob

So tell us about this machine. How about a pic or 2?

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2009 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have some recent reupholstered seat photos?
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumper
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock