northstar 88 fiero gt by rodrigo
Started on: 06-25-2014 08:33 AM
Replies: 74 (3381 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-31-2017 08:50 AM
rodrigo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2017 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have purchase a 99 LS1 PCM with 99 Shelby Aurora programming on it - altered to work with a 99 Northstar 4.6L.
From sinister performance

IP: Logged
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work so far!

Edit: Wondered what was with the dust...until I looked at the date stamps. I'm not the only one who put his engine swap on hold for a couple of years!

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 01-14-2017).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the engine was sitting in the car w/o the decklid and exposed to the elements for a couple of years. The concern I would have would be the open PCV ports on both heads likely allowed water and dust/debris into the engine. When you power washed it, if you didn't plug those ports, then that process likely put more water into the engine as well.

I would suggest you pull the valve covers and oil pan to inspect and flush any contaminants before you try to start it up.

The debris around the oil filter housing also should also be carefully cleaned and the ports flushed. You don't want any debris left in the ports and go through the bearings.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-14-2017).]

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes will make sure to clean up everything before we get it going the guy that was suppose to help me with it gave up on it so brother in law and I will finish it
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009
We're at the point wear we need to put together water/gas and oil lines and then will do our own wiring harness with the instructions from sinister if anyone has any pointers will be glad to hear them out

[This message has been edited by rodrigo (edited 01-14-2017).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2017 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodrigo:

Needs gaskets plus I want to do the head gaskets and he bolts on the heads since it's out already everyone knows northstars are notorious on the head gaskets

how many miles on the engine?
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2017 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe had a little over 100k but was redone
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another baby step cleaned up the engine bay and took out thing that won't be needing

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2017 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got the cam pulley and tensioner on also installed the water pump cover

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2017 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Anyone knows what's the best way to route the water lines for the northstar engine
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2017 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put an inline filler neck on the top connection and run it to the left coolant pipe.

Run the lower connection (thermostat) to the right coolant pipe.
PFF
System Bot
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2017 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't the bottom coolent pipe (thermostat) run to the left side of the car with is the driver side and the top connects to the right side wich is the passenger side with would be the return from the radiator? Left and right side would be standing behind the car

[This message has been edited by rodrigo (edited 02-07-2017).]

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2017 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Dropped the engine again because the guy that helped me didn't remove the cross bar on the cradle and blocked the oil filter and exhaust manifold so we took it back down and fixed it it's going back on this week

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2017 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Another question do I need to install and oil cooler or is it fine with just the oil filter
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2017 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend the oil cooler the engine bay is quite packed with the N* and the oil temp gets pretty high ,especially in stop and go traffic. I would also use only Mobile one synthetic oil for the same reasons.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doesn't the bottom coolent pipe (thermostat) run to the left side of the car with is the driver side and the top connects to the right side wich is the passenger side with would be the return from the radiator? Left and right side would be standing behind the car

No.
Do it this way:

Originally posted by Will:

Put an inline filler neck on the top connection and run it to the left coolant pipe.

Run the lower connection (thermostat) to the right coolant pipe.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Dropped the engine again because the guy that helped me didn't remove the cross bar on the cradle and blocked the oil filter and exhaust manifold so we took it back down and fixed it it's going back on this week

I just saw that and assumed you were going to be running a remote filter.

In order to incorporate a cooler, you'll need either the OTHER factory filter adapter that includes filter connections, or CHRFab's remote filter mount plate.
Also check out Pure Power oil filters... stainless steel mesh, reusable and high flow.
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2017 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update pictures just waiting on how to set up the pulleys and what alternator do I need and how to set them up do I need the alternator from the Cadillac or the fiero
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2017 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Can I just follow this set up its from an aurora N* that I found online just don't know which alternator to use

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can I just follow this set up its from an aurora N* that I found online just don't know which alternator to use

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000121-18.html#p704

That's my method using the stock bracket. The guy in your pic fabbed a new upper alternator bracket. If you do that, you can use whatever alternator you want.
PFF
System Bot
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finish installing the front of the engine hoping to put it in the car tomorrow

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to start on the wiring soon if anyone can give me some pointers on how to better tackle the wiring will be greatly appreciated again sinister has done the computer for me but I have to make the harness and connect gauges and whatever else is needed
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to weld up a cover for that hole in your strut tower?
You don't have to cut off that much of the body side dogbone mount

How much did you cut off the hinge box?
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut off a 4x4 squared hole wear can I put a dog bone support I don't think I have anymore space
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2017 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the left side of your engine is higher than the right side and that it is slightly twisted, left side closer to front of car.
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys great news!!!! The car starts but stutters and turns off unless I keep giving it gas then it stays running

https://youtu.be/oLpFT-XG0fY

https://youtu.be/mkGlxEJRWx0
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok guys great news!!!! The car starts but stutters and turns off unless I keep giving it gas then it stays running

https://youtu.be/oLpFT-XG0fY

https://youtu.be/mkGlxEJRWx0

Sounds "flat", I don't think it's running on all 8, good work getting to this point.

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 03-26-2017).]

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2017 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I can keep it running with some starter fluid then it stalles so I checked the fuel pump pressure and the max it went to was 52lbs

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2017 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be a lot of things (stuck injector or 4, improper IAC placement or minimum idle air, improper MAF table, vacuum leaks, etc)

I would try to keep it running with the throttle (even if you have to run it at 2000 rpm) and let it get up to temp and remove any air from the fuel system. If you have an IR temp bun, it would be good to check the primaries to see if they all are coming up to temp or if you have some that are cooler than the rest. If you have a scanner or tuning package, it would be nice to hook it up and see what all the sensors are doing. Otherwise, you might want to run it a few times until is sets some codes that could help pinpoint the issue.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-27-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2017 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I can keep it running with some starter fluid then it stalles so I checked the fuel pump pressure and the max it went to was 52lbs

rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rodrigo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2017 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrigoSend a Private Message to rodrigoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrigo

175 posts
Member since Dec 2009
I will be replacing the fuel pump what fuel pump can I go with to feed the northstar engine
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you saying that the regulator was adjusted too high?

It sounds like it's idling well in the video. What was the problem?

I've used a '95 Corvette fuel pump for years. You could also use a Walbro 255.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock