Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  Today Is Texas Independence Day (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Today Is Texas Independence Day by cliffw
Started on: 03-02-2024 01:08 PM
Replies: 54 (580 views)
Last post by: cliffw on 04-21-2024 09:54 AM
ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Have your serious climate researchers proven Global Warming is going the kill the Earth prematurely ?

kill NO

flood Florida YES
raises temps melts ice floods and droughts
kill so crops and plants some places

why the EXTREME KILL EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE OR NO PROBLEMS ? ONLY CHOICE ?
IP: Logged
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have your serious climate researchers proven Global Warming is going the kill the Earth prematurely?

Are there parallels in this with government and government-backed interventions in the U.S. and other nations around the world to curb the planet-warming effects of greenhouse gas emissions? No !

You are in the minority. You actually trust government.

[Here are some findings from the Pew Research Center that were published in July, 2019.]

"Many think America is experiencing a crisis in facts and truth, and they believe this problem ties into the current state of distrust people have in institutions. In this new survey we add to those insights, finding that the vast majority of adults say that Americans’ level of agreement on the basic facts about issues and events is a problem. Fully 85% of adults say this is at least a moderately big problem, including 42% saying it is a very big problem. In urgency, this issue ranks alongside Americans’ level of confidence in the federal government."

Can you name anything which our government did wrong?

Those remarks that Cliff W. has duplicated from the Pew Research Center were published in July of 2019. I don't doubt that these findings still hold up today, almost 5 years later. There's nothing in those remarks that focuses specifically on how Americans are thinking about Climate Change... just to set the stage here (so to speak.)

I have something that was published by NBC News not quite 2 months ago.

"Americans are warming to [the reality of] climate change—but they can't agree after that."

A survey from Yale found growing acceptance of [the reality of] climate change—even in Republican strongholds—but slower movement [in attitudes] around how to address it.
Denise Chow and and Chase Cain for NBC News; January 25, 2024.
https://www.nbcnews.com/sci...ant-agree-rcna135131

It's not a long article (by my standards.) It has an optional 5-minute video presentation.

Here's an excerpt:

A survey conducted last year [2023] by the Pew Research Center found that two-thirds of adults in the U.S. support prioritizing the development of renewable energy sources over fossil fuels, though Americans were generally reluctant to completely phase out the use of oil, coal and natural gas.

And another:

A recent study by researchers at the University of Colorado Boulder found that around two-thirds of voters rank climate change as an important issue. That figure matched the results of NBC News exit polls [during the presidential election of 2020.]

Of the 67% of voters who said they are concerned about climate change, 77% of them voted for President Joe Biden in 2020, the report found. . . .

Burgess’ work estimated that around 2.4 million voters opted for Joe Biden over Donald Trump in 2020 based on climate change, possibly enough to have cost Trump his bid for re-election.

I like to use GREEN text for links, to highlight the contrast with the white background when I am doing the QUOTE thing.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-08-2024).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, brainwashing a large population takes time.....
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Yeah, brainwashing a large population takes time.....

You were talking maybe a week ago about how farmers are fed up with the efforts to install more wind and solar energy on Michigan's agricultural land. So maybe it's not so crazy to ask if you are acquainted with Whitney Belprez? Seeing as how you seem to have the agricultural "beat" in Michigan covered like nobody's business!

Whitney Belprez is quoted in an article from 2022 as a farmer and a co-owner of Two Sparrows Farm in Eaton Rapids, which is only about an hour's drive north from Clarendon Township, which you have listed (below your screen name) as where you are posting from.

Here's what Mr. Belprez had to say in 2022:

“We've been farming for 10 years, and I will say that over time, I think the weather has become more unpredictable,” Belprez said. “So, averages for rainfall, for temperature, soil warmth in the spring, frost dates… We have either heavier rainfall or no rainfall, or we have a lot of heat when we normally wouldn't. When we see 80, 90 degrees in May, that's very difficult for the growing season when we don't get the rain that we need in the spring to jump start the growth for the whole season. It sets us up for a drought.”

Does that strike you as the benign effects of more carbon dioxide? That is kind of what you have been "hanging your hat on" when you bring up people like William Happer from the CO2 Coalition... the "voice" of American's unfairly marginalized and disrespected Carbon Dioxide Molecule Community.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

That was from FOX47 NEWS, which is the local Fox News affiliate for Lansing and the surrounding area—your "neck of the woods."

"Climate change keeps creating challenges for Michigan farmers"
Luisa Wiewgorra for FOX47 NEWS; June 10, 2022.
https://www.fox47news.com/n...for-michigan-farmers

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 03-09-2024).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2024 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:
... it's not so crazy to ask if you are acquainted with Whitney Belprez? Seeing as how you seem to have the agricultural "beat" in Michigan covered like nobody's business!

Whitney Belprez is quoted in an article from 2022 as a farmer and a co-owner of Two Sparrows Farm in Eaton Rapids, which is only about an hour's drive north from Clarendon Township, which you have listed (below your screen name) as where you are posting from.[

Here's what Mr. Belprez had to say in 2022:

Originally posted by Whitney Belprez:
“We've been farming for 10 years, and I will say that over time, I think the weather has become more unpredictable,” Belprez said. “So, averages for rainfall, for temperature, soil warmth in the spring, frost dates… We have either heavier rainfall or no rainfall, or we have a lot of heat when we normally wouldn't. When we see 80, 90 degrees in May, that's very difficult for the growing season when we don't get the rain that we need in the spring to jump start the growth for the whole season. It sets us up for a drought.”

Does that strike you as the benign effects of more carbon dioxide? That is kind of what you have been "hanging your hat on" ...

Thank you rinselberg. I have seen the epiphany. I have been seeking the wrong sources of information. I should have instead listened to a farmer who has farmed for 10 years. Or was it 10 minutes ?

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2024 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you rinselberg. I have seen the epiphany. I have been seeking the wrong sources of information. I should have instead listened to a farmer who has farmed for 10 years. Or was it 10 minutes?

Have you ever been a farmer? Or had a substantive conversation with a farmer about what they think about "climate change" or global warming?

You've talked a lot about how you shrugged off high temperatures outside when you were working on oil and gas rigs, but that's not farming.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you ever been a farmer? Or had a substantive conversation with a farmer about what they think about "climate change" or global warming?

You've talked a lot about how you shrugged off high temperatures outside when you were working on oil and gas rigs, but that's not farming.

I first started farming in the early mid 70's. The climate was not good then either. Growing pot was illegal. Kidding aside, farmers have been biatching about the weather since before Christ was born.

Whitney Belprez is not a farmer. What does he plant rinselberg ? He is more like a rancher. There is no shortages of ranches in Texas. I do have friends which work ranches including some ranch managers. None I know whine about global warming. Texas has ranches in arid areas, many. Instead of biatching and moaning, we "cowboy up". Go ahead, ask me how.

Crop yields from farming have not to my knowledge been down. How about Kalifrornia ?

Also, water dependence to drill a well is massive.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Texas has ranches in arid areas, many. Instead of biatching and moaning, we "cowboy up". Go ahead, ask me how.

We know how. Suck on the government teat.
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/st...-impacted-by-drought

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:
We know how. Suck on the government teat.

We went begging hat in hand for government teat, ?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reminds Texas ranchers and livestock producers that they may be eligible for financial assistance through the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) for 2021 grazing losses due to drought.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We went begging hat in hand for government teat, ?

Farmers don't get it without asking, and they got paid over $500 million.

So, "yes" Texas farmers asked the government for help. And got a LOT.

That is how you "cowboyed up".

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 03-11-2024).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I first started farming in the early mid 70's. The climate was not good then either. Growing pot was illegal. Kidding aside, farmers have been biatching about the weather since before Christ was born.

Whitney Belprez is not a farmer. What does he plant rinselberg ? He is more like a rancher. There is no shortages of ranches in Texas. I do have friends which work ranches including some ranch managers. None I know whine about global warming. Texas has ranches in arid areas, many. Instead of biatching and moaning, we "cowboy up". Go ahead, ask me how.

Crop yields from farming have not to my knowledge been down. How about Kalifrornia ?

Also, water dependence to drill a well is massive.

Frack'in right!
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Frack'in right!

Fracking is not drilling.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35957 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by BingB:
Farmers don't get it without asking, and they got paid over $500 million.

So, "yes" Texas farmers asked the government for help. And got a LOT.

That is how you "cowboyed up".

Were you born wrong, or do you practice at it very hard everyday ?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2024 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The term 'farmer' takes in a lot of territory so when you ask that question, it's addressing a lot of enterprise most people don't think of when they use the word.
I have been a 'farmer'. Cattleman to be specific, on a small racnh, 150 acres including some lease pasture. but all cattlemen are farmers first, cowmen 2nd because we have to raise grass -- #1. Cows only want 2 things. Grass in front and a bull behind. I Sold out in 2022 tho and moved into a subdivision 200 miles to the west in central Texas but I went thru the horrible 2011 drought, & went thru the flood of 2017 when I watched my cows get floated over 4 strand barb wire fences. Some drowned. Survived the '09 hurricane Ike whose eye pretty much passed over my place.

2011..so many outfits had to sell off cattle because there was no grass and more importantly, no hay. Actually, there was 'some' hay available. Brought in from the SE states and sold in Texas for exorbitant prices. I had been buying 5x6 1100lb rolls of good coastal Bermuda for $45/roll and in 2011, hay was bringing $150 for junk hay from out of state. I saw my 2 acre lake dry to the lowest level ever since it was built in 1966.

Many ranchers, small and large sold out or drastically culled and sold down to the bare minimum. The national cattle herd dropped to the lowest it had been in nearly 70 years. Live cattle prices dropped to nearly 80 cents a pound and I saw lifetimes of work run thru the auction rings at those prices.

I didn't sell. Cashed out some investments and bought some more Beefmaster heifers...young females.

The LFP thing has been around for a long time. Some take it, some don't. You can ( or could anyway.. I haven't looked recently) view which outfits take the USDA assistance in any given year county by county. I was surprised at some of the names I saw from 2011.
But, 'farmers' pay federal income taxes just like anyone else and I don't hold it against those that took the $$. Just recouping some of the tax $$ they'd paid in for decades with little or no return and I can assure you, it didn't come close to covering what they lost.

One of the names from up in the panhandle counties was JBS. It stands for José Batista Sobrinho. They have their huge feedlots up there and own farms from the Tx panhandle, to Tn, Ky, Fla and all thru the mid west. . JBS is the largest beef processor/meat packer in the world, wholly owned by a multinational in Brazil.They own Pilgrims Pride, Smithfield, and Swift. If memory serves me right, JBS got $22 million from LFP in 2011 for their Tx operations alone.

You won't find my name on any of those lists. I raised brahma influenced cattle. They might get down in condition and look like crap during drought when pastures dry up or when hay is in short supply in winter but they survive on anything, including dry crunchy grass and yaupon leaves and come back in the spring. By 2014, I was selling calves from those drought stricken cows for nearly $4/lb live weight.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-15-2024).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, in 1836, the Texians (correct spelling) attacked Santa Anna, the Napoleon of the west, at San Jacinto.

Houston after luring Santa Anna so far from Mexico and his resupply source, troop replentishment source, after keeping his troops from revolting due to their lust for vengeance for the Alamo and Goliad, he unleashed that vengeance.

The Mexican army had became complacent about the threat which they created. They encamped with their backs to the San Jacinto river, thus eliminating an escape route they ended up needing. They had been partying hard the night before.

Houston ordered the attack in the early sun light hours, charging in from the East. Surprising the Mexicans while many were still asleep. The attack roused them awake and they had to defend them selves looking into the early morning Sun, blinding them.

The Texians charged in, pissed off yelling "Remember the Alamo, remember Goliad". The battle was over in just 18 minutes. Santa Anna ran off in fear of his life, as did many of the Mexican army. Santa Anna ordered a Private to change uniforms to disguise his identity after all being cornered. It did not work. The Texians noticed most in his army saluted him.

When brought before the wounded General Houston, Houston again had to quell his troops from executing him, Santa Anna had done to the Alamo and Goliad defenders. Houston made a deal with the devil and allowed him to live if he signed over the whole territory of Texas north of the Rio Grand river and reaching into modern day Colorado.

Don't mess with Texas.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock