Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Politics & Religion
  Let's talk about the media, and what journalism should be in a free society (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Let's talk about the media, and what journalism should be in a free society by olejoedad
Started on: 01-29-2024 04:23 PM
Replies: 215 (2478 views)
Last post by: ray b on 05-01-2024 02:02 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:

Look closer at the chart. There is a line where everything below is labeled as "contains inaccurate or fabricated info". There are 4 right wing sources listed but zero from the left.

Under the line "contains misleading info" there are 15 right-wing sources and only 6 from the left.

This is how easily you ignorant Leftists are duped and controlled.

"The Chart" says it, thus it is a "true fact".

Leftists gotta Leftist
......their closed, unquestioning, little minds, ....opinions = "facts"

https://adfontesmedia.com/i...a-bias-chart-biased/

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-21-2024).]

IP: Logged
ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Leftists gotta Leftist

no
I just think rightwing runs on lying
they are cheap so only spend on wars or other means of induced suffering like prisons
they hate the poor and take any excuse increase suffering there also so love to cut medical or welfare or rent control
they hate older people and their payments like SS or medicad/care and want that stopped

so what are they good for
making the rich richer is about it
and lying they are very very good at lying
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are twisted, sister.....
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leftists gotta Leftist

I never said it was 100% true. In fact I have admitted that there are different charts that rank outlets differently.

I was just using the one that YOU selected.

Are you claiming that these charts are all wrong because there is no bias in any news networks?

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BingB

1049 posts
Member since Nov 2023

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Concerning the owner of the company that publishes 'The Chart'.......

https://medium.com/@johnraf...erself-87abc39402bf.

I don't think your link works.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently not.....😱
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I never said it was 100% true. In fact I have admitted that there are different charts that rank outlets differently.

I was just using the one that YOU selected.

Are you claiming that these charts are all wrong because there is no bias in any news networks?

Are you claiming that "The Chart" has no bias?

YOU are the one that cited it to differentiate sources that provide more or less "inaccurate or fabricated" info:

Look closer at the chart. There is a line where everything below is labeled as "contains inaccurate or fabricated info". There are 4 right wing sources listed but zero from the left.

Under the line "contains misleading info" there are 15 right-wing sources and only 6 from the left.

You did that even AFTER I provided you with the link where the producers of "The Chart" admit their own bias....

You used "The Chart" as "fact" because Leftists cannot differentiate opinion, (Including admitted biased opinion), from fact.... and because....

Leftists gotta Leftist
....and they don't handle being constantly wrong very well.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-21-2024).]

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You did that even AFTER I provided you with the link where the producers of "The Chart" admit their own bias....

Link does not work for me.

The only reason I was referring to this chart was because it was the one posted in this thread BY YOU.

I did not bring it up. YOU DID.

I hope everyone here agrees that there are different levels and amounts of bias in news sources. I am not swearing by any one particular chart, but I am guessing that they are all pretty close.

ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I LIKE LESS LYING IN MY NEWS

THE CENTRIST BIAS IN THE NATIONAL NEWS

UP SETS OUR RIGHTWINGERS

I REALLY WONDER WHY THEY CAN NEVER DETECT THE RUMP LIES
THEY JUMP ON ANY DEMO MIS-STATEMENTS
BUT NEVER SEE THE MOST BLATANT LIE FROM THE RUMP OR Gop

AND INSULT THOSE THAT DO SEE THE LIES

THAT IS NO WAY TO GOVERN
BUT WE KNOW THEY WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO FAIL
SO WHY ELECT LYING SCUM WHO WANT OUR GOVERNMENT TO FAIL
WHO THEN WRAP THEMSELVES IN THE FLAG AND CLAIM TO BE PATRIOTS ?
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ray b

12590 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Leftists gotta Leftist

POSTER BOY FOR Gop LIES
WHO SPEWS HIS ''their closed, unquestioning, little minds, '' LIKE HE HAS TRUTH
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is how liberal facts work:

I will never forget a story that was in the news back in 1967, when I was twelve years old. There was a man in Africa who ripped the heart out of another man’s chest and threw it in the trash. The second man lived for another 18 days.

This story is absolutely true. It is a verifiable fact.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 'center' of the mainstream news media has moved left since I was a younger person.

JFK would be a right wing Republican in current times.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 'center' of the mainstream news media has moved left since I was a younger person.

Yeah, I mention this often to a lot of younger left-leaning people. I don't really get into politics in my day-to-day life... but over the past decade or so, I've said the JFK quote, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." For whatever reason a lot of kids today don't really learn a lot of these quotes (or they aren't exposed to them). Anyway, that JFK quote would likely be viewed as "fascist" to most young people today. It's also totally antithetical to the desires of many people on the left for a more "comprehensive" cradle-to-grave style of government.
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no the right wing of the demo's was the racist south NOT THE LIBERAL NORTH

WHO TODAY ARE THE REPUBICKCANT CORE
STILL RACIST AND NASTY AS EVER AND VERY PROUD OF IT
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

no the right wing of the demo's was the racist south NOT THE LIBERAL NORTH

WHO TODAY ARE THE REPUBICKCANT CORE
STILL RACIST AND NASTY AS EVER AND VERY PROUD OF IT

You don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.
Nor will you ever.

(Where is my 'ignore' button)
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

that JFK quote would likely be viewed as "fascist" to most young people today. It's also totally antithetical to the desires of many people on the left for a more "comprehensive" cradle-to-grave style of government.

Wait, what. I thought the left wanted everyone to sacrifice to the government while the right told the government to piss off.

So how can a quote asking people to sacrifice to their government be bad for the left. Seems like it is actually their position.

The right thinks the government is dangerous and too big and threatening. They are anti-tax. Telling people to give and sacrifice to the country is the OPPOSIT of what the right would say today.

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BingB

1049 posts
Member since Nov 2023

Originally posted by williegoat:

I will never forget a story that was in the news back in 1967, when I was twelve years old. There was a man in Africa who ripped the heart out of another man’s chest and threw it in the trash. The second man lived for another 18 days.

I think you have "liberals" confused with "conservatives".

It was the conservatives who actually believed the lie about the 2020 election being stolen just because a rigth-wing news source told them it was true.

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 04-24-2024).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think you have "liberals" confused with "conservatives".

It was the conservatives who actually believed the lie about the 2020 election being stolen just because a rigth-wing news source told them it was true.

And this demonstrates how Leftists are perplexed when confronted with facts.

I'll bet there are a few adults here with real life experience who can even name the guy who did it. I never forgot his name.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And this demonstrates how Leftists are perplexed when confronted with facts.

I was not perplexed at all.

I just pointed out the absurdity of a right-winger claiming leftist are gullible because they believe whatever they are told by the media.

You guys bought that story hook, line, and sinker.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2024 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, you don't believe this?
ray b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2024 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do the RWNJ'S believe he ''won'' by more votes or would have squeaked in by less total votes
in a 2016 re-cheat repeat in 2020 ?

he never admitted the less votes in 2016 ''win''
or the out-right loss in 2020 by 7 million

btw the BuSh2 vs gore race al won by 1/2 a million nationally

so the RWNJ EXPECT TO WIN WITH LESS VOTES
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2024 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, you don't believe this?
\

If memory serves me they named a hospital after him.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2024 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

If memory serves me they named a hospital after him.

It appears we have a man who is paying attention.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2024 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait, what. I thought the left wanted everyone to sacrifice to the government while the right told the government to piss off.

So how can a quote asking people to sacrifice to their government be bad for the left. Seems like it is actually their position.

The right thinks the government is dangerous and too big and threatening. They are anti-tax. Telling people to give and sacrifice to the country is the OPPOSIT of what the right would say today.

Your response is intentionally ignorant. Again, if you think you're smarter than everyone else, you're going to assume the rest of us are stupid.

Obviously, you know that I know that you understand the difference here... but again, your desire to be purposely obnoxious in discussions drove this nonsense response.

Kennedy was saying that we shouldn't seek/desire to view the "government" as a social welfare platform to provide for us, that instead, we should seek to take civic action in support of our COUNTRY (not the government) by helping to shape and build a better society. Such as joining the military, or using the private sector (religious institutions, companies, etc.) to drive a better future. E.G., he literally asked us not to expect / demand entitlements... and then dramatically lowered taxes in order to invigorate the private sector as part of his plan.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2024 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your response is intentionally ignorant. Again, if you think you're smarter than everyone else, you're going to assume the rest of us are stupid.

Obviously, you know that I know that you understand the difference here... but again, your desire to be purposely obnoxious in discussions drove this nonsense response.

Kennedy was saying that we shouldn't seek/desire to view the "government" as a social welfare platform to provide for us, that instead, we should seek to take civic action in support of our COUNTRY (not the government) by helping to shape and build a better society. Such as joining the military, or using the private sector (religious institutions, companies, etc.) to drive a better future. E.G., he literally asked us not to expect / demand entitlements... and then dramatically lowered taxes in order to invigorate the private sector as part of his plan.

Don't confuse him any more Todd.
He is already confused enough.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2024 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and then dramatically lowered taxes in order to invigorate the private sector as part of his plan.

I'd be thrilled to go back to the Tax rates under Kennedy. Do you agree with me on that? How about these other Kennedy polices?

Increasing the minimum wage.
Expanding unemployment benefits.
Boosting Social Security benefits to encourage workers to retire earlier.
Spending more for highway construction.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some opinion concerning the Grey Lady.......

https://www.wsj.com/article...od=opinion_lead_pos8
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a time when the misinformation and disinformation were primarily “lies of omission”. This has changed.

The search for truth has been subjugated to the human desire to be right, the drive to win. These are natural human traits which developed from the need to survive. But like jealousy and hatred, these instincts must be tempered with wisdom. Uncivilized behavior is exactly that, counter to civilization.

If one propagates a lie, whether it be by omission or commission, he is not right. Though he might win the battle, he has lost the war. Civilization declines.

For me, I choose truth over pyrrhic victory. It is the civilized path.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For me, I choose truth over pyrrhic victory. It is the civilized path.

It is not possible to choose between "truth" and "pyrrhic victory" because they are not opposites. The truth can easily be on the side that requires much damage to win.

What you are actually saying is "I'll just make up whatever I want to believe as the 'truth', but I won't fight to defend it because that might hurt me."

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is not possible to choose between "truth" and "pyrrhic victory" because they are not opposites. The truth can easily be on the side that requires much damage to win.

What you are actually saying is "I'll just make up whatever I want to believe as the 'truth', but I won't fight to defend it because that might hurt me."

And in your imagination, you have just won an argument that doesn't actually exist, while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Here's your trophy: link
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I and others have read what you believe to be the truth, and have discounted a good portion of it as your personal illusions.

PFF
System Bot
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I and others have read what you believe to be the truth, and have discounted a good portion of it as your personal illusions.

And that is why I always try to post links to sources to prove what is true as opposed to just posting my opinion.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And that is why I always try to post links to sources to prove what is true as opposed to just posting my opinion.

The problem is that you believe the information in your links......

How much independent research do you do on the information that is in your links?
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much independent research do you do on the information that is in your links?

I don't know what you mean. I don't have the resources to travel all over the world to personally investigate everything I read in the news.

I don't have the knowledge or laboratory equipment to do my own medical research.

I can't travel back in time to experience historical events myself.

So what exactly are you suggesting I should be doing?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is not possible to choose between "truth" and "pyrrhic victory" because they are not opposites.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

"Four more years, pause!"

I agree with the "pause" part.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 04-28-2024).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know what you mean. I don't have the resources to travel all over the world to personally investigate everything I read in the news.

I don't have the knowledge or laboratory equipment to do my own medical research.

I can't travel back in time to experience historical events myself.

So what exactly are you suggesting I should be doing?

There are alternate sources of information that are ignored by media, simply because it doesn't fit their preferred narrative.
There are other search engines that can be used to avoid the GOOGLE filters.
There are usually several sides to the stories presented to the American public.

Find them and use them.

Question what you hear in the media. Every source is biased.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-28-2024).]

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2024 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are alternate sources of information that are ignored by media, simply because it doesn't fit their preferred narrative.
There are other search engines that can be used to avoid the GOOGLE filters.
There are usually several sides to the stories presented to the American public.

Find them and use them.

Question what you hear in the media. Every source is biased.

What are these "alternate sources" and why don't you ever use them?

Anyone who does any research knows that there are biased sources, but I parse through all of that. I can give you plenty of examples of people here who have fallen for fake stories. Lots of people here thought the Steele Dossier had something to do with the start of the Russia investigation. Lots of people thought that Hunter Bidens laptop contained evidence of criminal behavior by Joe Biden. Lots of people though oil production did not start dropping until Biden policies took effect. Lots of people here believed that Joe Biden can still use Title 42 to control immigration. Some people here even believed that Kim Jung Un stopped firing missiles and threatening the Unted States after his meeting with Trump. None of those people ever took their heads out of the right-wing echo chamber. They were wrong about those things while I was correct.

And you don't do any "independent research" at all. You just search the internet the same as I do.

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 04-29-2024).]

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2024 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BingB

1049 posts
Member since Nov 2023
delete

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 04-29-2024).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2024 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

delete

Again
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave