Started on: 09-26-2023 10:42 PM
Replies: 3 (250 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 10-10-2023 04:49 AM
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2023 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started a build thread back in 2012. By now most of the pics I posted show a broken link symbol so I thought I'd go through and fix it. After a little digging I remembered I used PIP to upload most of my pictures, and those are the ones that are missing.
Did something happen to PIP at some point that all my pics are gone? Is there any way to retrieve them? I bought a new laptop a few years ago and installed PIP on it but that doesn't give me access to what I had on my old computer. I'm not sure I even have all of the pics from the build anymore.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 09-26-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2023 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read 'em and weep.

Probably the most relevant post is this one...

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock Here:

The problem is as follows:

The hosting company where the (image) server was hosted, was sold to another party. According to isthiswhereiputausername, the new guys are a bunch of morons. During migration, they "acidentally" deleted everything on the server (I'm guessing this was a shared server and they simply repurposed it). So far, they have been less than willing to cooperate restoring from a backup.

I have emailed isthiswhereiputausername and asked him if I could help putting these guys under pressure. I'm pretty sure they can be held liable for losing all that data.

Other than that, I have a partial backup myself which I already restored. I was actually meaning to backup the rest of the images, but never got around to it since, well, life got in the way. I also didn't give it a very high priority because my own experience with hosting companies is that they simply don't lose your data. I never expected to encounter one who does and is even unwilling to cooperate after they did.

So will we ever see those images again? I really don't know. It sucks big time because I've always stressed how important it was to upload the images to PFF's image server so they would never get lost. And yet, here we are.

So how many images are we talking about? I'm not entirely sure, but between 40,000 - 100,000. I will try to write a script that will go through all threads on the forum and mark any missing image. That should give me a better idea.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-27-2023).]

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a flash drive with project pictures on it. Spent a few hours and was able to get most of the missing images restored in my build thread.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2023 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock