Started on: 07-05-2023 01:31 PM
Replies: 16 (427 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 08-02-2023 10:21 AM
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2023 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this a temporary thing or did I miss the memo?

This is the thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000017.html

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 07-05-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2023 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe (and I hope!) that this is a temporary issue... as images uploaded in a 2015 thread of mine were there just a couple of days ago, but they're missing today.

When I go into my PIP History folder, none of my images with URL dates from 2012 or 2015 are available. I'm not going to panic, just yet.

When the image below reappears, all is well.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-05-2023).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2023 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are all images hosted on "isthiswhereiputausername"'s server. I will send him a PM and ask him if there's a problem. I was planning to move all images to my own server (since I have more than enough storage space now) so I hope I can still access them...
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2023 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Cliff, hoping for the best.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2023 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same issue with the A/C parts thread, I was gonna PM Cliff until I saw this thread

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000652.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2023 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

When the image below reappears, all is well.

It's been a couple more days... and still nothing. Now I'm getting worried.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2023 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://hostkansas.com/
has private registration at Godaddy.com
It is now parked but same name servers.
ns1.hostkansas.com
My guess is that moving servers is likely the problem resolving wrong ip address.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 07-08-2023).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2023 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures are back! Thanks Cliff
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2023 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Pictures are back! Thanks Cliff

Actually, no they're not. I was just able to find about 24,000 of them. Still missing about 100,000...
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2023 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. Some images.fiero.nl/2012/ works and other don't. Example: Go look at both Patrick links above.
right click image then Properties or Inspect

images.fieroforum.com/2015/ , images.fiero.nl/2015/ and others are not fix.
Like from https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138175.html

but now I edited posts w/ images to "Upload Media" method in that thread but not editing hundreds of other posts just for active threads. Users Can't edit Archive Threads even if still have copies.

Even if Cliff copied pictures, Others have to authorize and "Rerout" DNS name to new server IP and wait hours to days for all DNS resolvers and local caches to catch up.

Windows has "ipconfig /flushdns" but many use DNS over HTTPS and such that flushing like that won't help.

If Cliff have edited all posts to new server w/ new name, hasn't done that yet. Plus Cliff said he didn't copy images from there...

Whois Report:
Domain Information
Domain: fieroforum.com
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registered On: 2000-09-19
Expires On: 2024-09-19
Updated On: 2022-09-20

While Cliff may own Fiero.nl... a server can be anywhere and that when image.Fiero.nl or image.Fiero.nl/anyfoldername/ matters because on the other server. Other servers or Parts of it is "down..." Like Server have several "Drives" and some "drives" are not mounted for whatever reason so some images work, others don't. (Even Images on a RAID Disk pack, RAID data can timeout for a web connection for having a Drive "Dead" or Rebuilding.)

E2A--> Cliff posted while I posted why some images works but what said above often still is true too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-13-2023).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2023 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found all the AC parts pics/lists in my backup files, restored to the thread.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2023 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Found all the AC parts pics/lists in my backup files, restored to the thread.

That's great that you were able to do that. Would've been impossible with an archived thread.

I'm still holding on to the hope that Cliff is somehow able to get the 100,000 missing images from Jason (isthiswhereiputausername).
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2023 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup. I found that problem on my older threads too.
And I uploaded all my pictures to PFF (not Photohut etc.)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129057.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2023 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is as follows:

The hosting company where the (image) server was hosted, was sold to another party. According to isthiswhereiputausername, the new guys are a bunch of morons. During migration, they "acidentally" deleted everything on the server (I'm guessing this was a shared server and they simply repurposed it). So far, they have been less than willing to cooperate restoring from a backup.

I have emailed isthiswhereiputausername and asked him if I could help putting these guys under pressure. I'm pretty sure they can be held liable for losing all that data.

Other than that, I have a partial backup myself which I already restored. I was actually meaning to backup the rest of the images, but never got around to it since, well, life got in the way. I also didn't give it a very high priority because my own experience with hosting companies is that they simply don't lose your data. I never expected to encounter one who does and is even unwilling to cooperate after they did.

So will we ever see those images again? I really don't know. It sucks big time because I've always stressed how important it was to upload the images to PFF's image server so they would never get lost. And yet, here we are.

So how many images are we talking about? I'm not entirely sure, but between 40,000 - 100,000. I will try to write a script that will go through all threads on the forum and mark any missing image. That should give me a better idea.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2023 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11634 posts
Member since Jan 99
Okay...

A total of 329,633 images were posted on PFF of which there are now 53,808 images missing (16% of the total). Of those 53,808 missing images, 10,340 images are from TO/T.

So a total of 43,468 important images are currently missing.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2023 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11634 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

A total of 329,633 images were posted on PFF

That should actually read: "... were posted on the PFF servers". There's also about half a million images posted on photo hosting sites like photobucket and imgur. I have no idea how many of those have disappeared over the years.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2023 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Okay...

A total of 329,633 images were posted on PFF of which there are now 53,808 images missing (16% of the total). Of those 53,808 missing images, 10,340 images are from TO/T.

So a total of 43,468 important images are currently missing.

Thanks Cliff.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock