Fiero Atlas Fitting by Valkrie9
Started on: 05-20-2022 03:42 AM
Replies: 5 (476 views)
Last post by: Valkrie9 on 05-29-2022 11:11 PM
Valkrie9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2022 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of all the engines swapped in.

Top View
!

Rear View
!

Left Side View
!

Right Side View
!
Views of Pontiac's Fiero, a tremendous work of art by the talented Bloozeberry.
A trial fitting of an Atlas 4.2 into the cheapest Fiero found, to make like GT...Oh !
Labor intensive, some adaptations needed.

Atlas 4.2 positioned very low into the cradle, dry sumped oil pan, remote tank, cooler.
Centered on the cylinder's centerline, movement to the right to be determined by accessory package.
The intake plenum appears to interfere with firewall, rotating to the rear to clear probably necessary.
Sure, a neat fit, some custom drivetrain work needed, as usual.
The rear facing exhaust ports make the turbo plumbing simple work in stainless steel, very convenient.
A stock block inline six, turbo tested to 800+ hp on the dyno, available at low cost.
I was sure the block was too long to fit, and now it's clear the space is there.
Now, about that transaxle...

The crankshaft centerline is 192 mm, 7.56" forward of the rear axles, a minimum limit.
This might actually be very do able.

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 05-20-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2022 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last time I checked, a drivetrain swap required a transmission to get the power from the engine to the wheels.

I have the inline 5 (3.7L) version in my 2007 Colorado.
There is a housing of some kind on the passenger side of the block that could potentially interfere with the passenger side axle placement.
Custom adapter plate, custom flywheel, custom starter setup would be required at a minimum.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2022 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Last time I checked, a drivetrain swap required a transmission to get the power from the engine to the wheels.

I have the inline 5 (3.7L) version in my 2007 Colorado.
There is a housing of some kind on the passenger side of the block that could potentially interfere with the passenger side axle placement.

There is a YouTube channel called "I Do Cars". The owner/narrator is a recycler, and does a "post mortem" on a different engine every week. It's quite fun and interesting.
The 3.7 was a recent "victim". The housing on the side of the block contains a balance shaft. (IIRC, there is actually one on each side of the block.)

I still maintain that the 4.2 is un-possible, for all intents and purposes. The 3.7... ?
The 4 cylinder might fit, but the Ecotec is waaaay ahead of the game at this point.
I used to have a Trailblazer with the 4.2. I found certain maintenance procedures to be a complete PITA. Would be hugely ugly in a Fiero.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2022 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Atlas engine is really not very impressive- the 4.2 version only equals the power put out by the 3500 PUSHROD V6.....The smaller 2.8 barely exceeds the power put out by our L44 V6s.....Truthfully, 4 valve setups only benefit if you are turning over 8000 rpm.

The Ford Cleveland 351 4-barrel heads from 1970 breath better on the intake side than the Coyote 4V heads on the new Mustang.

The GM LT truck engine heads breath better than the Toyo Tundra 4-V heads.

Where is the benefit? (And not much room for Quench)

I still think the best Fiero engine swap would be the newish 4.3 LV3 engine; 285 HP and 305 Lb/Ft of torque....and 70 lbs lighter than the 2.8. Plus a BROAD powerband rather than peaky.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2022 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Atlas 4200 is a good engine. And I respect it. But I can think of several engines more suitable for a Fiero swap. I can also think of several cars more suitable for a 4200 swap. (for example: 3rd or 4th gen Camaro)
Valkrie9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2022 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The Atlas 4200 is a good engine. And I respect it. But I can think of several engines more suitable for a Fiero swap. I can also think of several cars more suitable for a 4200 swap. (for example: 3rd or 4th gen Camaro)

Atlas swapped 924, 944, 951, 968.
' Fits like a glove. ' Jim Carrey as Ace Ventura.

Atlas 4.2L, sure, a versatile, inexpensive source of power.
The blue outline is the Toyota 2JZ 3L iron block, but that's another layer.

Fiero stretched to fit, new skins, tires, wheels, Atlas., in Other Cars...

Question of the day : ' Why does PFF's spellchecker designate Fiero as mispelled ? '

Edit added: Dec 30, '22.
Wiseco Forged Pistons for the Atlas 4.2L, and more !
Molnar 4340 ConRods

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 01-03-2023).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock