Started on: 05-11-2022 09:04 AM
Replies: 33 (749 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 05-25-2022 09:04 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The question of how many Fiero exist with engine swaps really can't be answered but it makes for some good conversation. As an owner of three Fieros with engine swaps I realize its not the norm so I will take a guess.
As an attendee of Carlisle for over 20 years I can safely say that engine swaps represent a small number of the cars that I see there. If the event gets 100 cars it appears that only a small number have engine swaps. The "modified" category draws a good amount but its appears that most of the Fieros there still have stock engines. The true collector seems to want to keep their cars completely stock so I estimate the number of engine swaps perhaps 10%-15% of Fieros at the shows and probably less than that here on this forum. The answer still seems that most Fiero owners prefer stock engines. As the Fiero continues to age and the stock engines wear out will that change?
I now open this thread for the observations of others.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More and more every day, I'm sure!
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m in the process of doing a swap right now. Not a popular one, and I even debate to even do a build thread. There is a fair number of swap build threads here on PFF. But you are probably correct, that it represents a small percentage of Fieros.

Swaps are time consuming and hard work and they rarely even become daily drivers, and I know even a high percentage of swaps never get completed.

What saddens me is how many Fieros end up wrecked or in junk yards. That naturally comes with age, but there is a fraction of Fieros left in all conditions, original or otherwise.

The reason for my swap is because I plan on keeping and driving my Fiero for the long term.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put well over 100K on my 4.9 Formula. Drove it daily, long trips, etc. Drivetrain and chassis are now sitting at about 235K, thinking I may do an install of a low mile 4.9 I have in storage. Maybe with a manual transmission this time, but the 4T60E is a great unit.
blyfot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blyfotSend a Private Message to blyfotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This picture is the engine statistics in FieroHub.
According to this ~ 28% of the Fieros have engine swap (Red and Green are the original engines).

https://fierohub.com/data/

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blyfot:

According to this ~ 28% of the Fieros have engine swap (Red and Green are the original engines).

https://fierohub.com/data/

IMO its harder to tell by a poll rather than by observation. A number of 28% of Fieros with engine swaps sounds a bit high based upon what I see at Carlisle and at other shows but anything is possible. If we take into accord the 3.4L bolt in upgrade maybe so . When you look at one it looks stock.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do the not-otherwise-specified "4-cyl." and "6-cyl." categories represent non-stock engine choices like the 3800 or Quad-4?

blyfot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blyfotSend a Private Message to blyfotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Do the not-otherwise-specified "4-cyl." and "6-cyl." categories represent non-stock engine choices like the 3800 or Quad-4?

Yes, they should.
Here are the alternatives you get when you register

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This picture is the engine statistics in FieroHub...

...which probably represent a very small number of Fieros. I suspect most Fiero owners have never even heard of FieroHub, let alone contributed any data.

I hazard to guess that the actual number of duke powered Fieros is far far higher than the 17.8% reported at FieroHub. IMO, those figures are worthless.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-11-2022).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2022 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
blyfot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blyfotSend a Private Message to blyfotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

...which probably represent a very small number of Fieros.

That is what statistics is used for.

It is an estimator of truth based on only a sample of the full population.
blyfot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blyfotSend a Private Message to blyfotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blyfot

119 posts
Member since Aug 2016

I hazard to guess that the actual number of duke powered Fieros is far far higher than the 17.8% reported at FieroHub.

To clarify, I am not trying to argue. You have the knowledge and can very well be right.

The statistics for only 1984 looks different

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is an estimator of truth based on only a sample of the full population.

"Estimator of truth"? This sounds like something from the O/T area of the forum.

Who's more liable to register at a specialized website for Fieros... a regular guy with a run of the mill 4-banger Fiero, or an enthusiast with a restored and/or built up Fiero?

That is what statistics is used for.

Statistics can be manipulated to serve any number of purposes.

Look, I've got nothing against FieroHub. I just think it's a stretch to believe that FieroHub registrations represent real-world Fiero numbers in any way, shape or form.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many Fieros have been registered on the site?

I think that at this point in time, it is a very small sample of the total surviving cars.

We have several Fieros here, but none have been registered.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone needs to break the mold and do a 5-cylinder swap. Or a 3-cylinder swap. Anyone got a Geo Metro parts car?
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never heard of Fiero Hub until this thread.

Also, electric was a choice, but no one chose that? Or was that considered 'other'?

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 05-12-2022).]

blyfot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blyfotSend a Private Message to blyfotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

How many Fieros have been registered on the site?
I think that at this point in time, it is a very small sample of the total surviving cars.

That is correct.
You have registered approx. 600 Fieros in FieroHub - a very small part of all surviving cars.

But when it comes to statistics, even 600 out of total produced 370.000 is a big enough sample size.
Read more here:
https://www.qualtrics.com/u...termine-sample-size/

Problem for FieroHub is not the sample size (number of registered cars), but rather how randomized the participants are. As someone pointed out, owners of certain cars might be more likely to register aso.

Statistics in FieroHub can at least be a starting point for discussions like this imo. It should not be looked at as the conclusive answer
blyfot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blyfotSend a Private Message to blyfotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blyfot

119 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Originally posted by Wichita:

I've never heard of Fiero Hub until this thread.

That is understandable, FieroHub was started recently.

Originally posted by Wichita:
Also, electric was a choice, but no one chose that? Or was that considered 'other'?

No one has chosen that yet (with reservation for that we added that option when some had already registered).
RichLo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLo1Send a Private Message to RichLo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone post a link to this fiero hub registry?

I have two swapped Fiero's currently and have had around 10 fieros in the past 15 years some swapped some stock engines.
blyfot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blyfotSend a Private Message to blyfotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RichLo1:

Can someone post a link to this fiero hub registry?

I have two swapped Fiero's currently and have had around 10 fieros in the past 15 years some swapped some stock engines.

We would love to see them in FieroHub!

Here is the link:
https://fierohub.com

It is all free, but you have to sign in (create a FieroHub account or with Facebook account) just to make sure that only you can change your data.

Let me know if you need help, or send us a mail

[This message has been edited by blyfot (edited 05-12-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2022 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The question on how many Fieros have engine swaps cannot really be answered but when I go to Carlisle there can be over 100 Fieros there and the number of swaps as compared to stock is small. This info is obviously not conclusive data but it does give an idea and allows me to observe that most Fieros that I have seen have stock engines. This may agree with true collectors that believe engine swaps decrease a classic cars value. As for performance; the Fiero 2.8L was very competitive for cars of the 80's era even with the Corvette.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2022 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cannot specifically say how many Fieros are out there with engine swaps, but I can confirm four swaps for my four Meras. One was a turbo 3.4, one a 3800 SC Series II, one a 3800 SC Series III, and the last one (recently sold) had a fuel injected 383. I am not a purist in terms of keeping the cars OEM, but want the vehicle performance to match the looks.

Nelson
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2022 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of all the engines...
A Fiero engine swap never attempted, yet.
GM Atlas 4.2 Inline 6,5, or 4 cylinders, what will it be, man ?
LT3 2.0L SOHC-4 + 5 spd man transaxle, 1990 Sunbird GT, with turbo inter-cooling, water-methanol injection ! Nice.
'88 VR6 Turbo 6 spd widebody
K24 '88 Fiero GT
500" Cadillac Longitudinally,
Michael Pierce did it.

4.3 Vortec V6 -vs- 4.2 Vortec I6
800hp 4.2 threw a rod, look at the guts of it !

Length = 32" ( from bell housing to front of engine, not including harmonic balancer. )
Width = 16"
Height = 35" ( from bottom of pan to top of intake plenum. )
4 cylinders, turbo, transverse install.
5 cylinders, turbo, transverse install.
6 cylinders, turbo, transverse install.
6 cylinders, turbo, longitudinal install. ^

Chevy inline 6
Sherman Sligh's Boss 300-6
LS heads on a Ford 300 six

Number of inline six Fieros = None, be the first, start getting lined up.
Gee, all those junkyard inlines seeking Fieros for serious relationships.

Fiero Atlas Fitting

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 05-20-2022).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2022 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real question is how many swaps were started and remain unfinished or were poorly done.

That is the one thing that can help or hurt a vehicles value no matter the car is how good was the work.

That is where documentation really makes a difference.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2022 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

Of all the engines...
A Fiero engine swap never attempted, yet.
GM Atlas 4.2 Inline 6,5, or 4 cylinders, what will it be, man ?
Number of inline six Fieros = None, be the first, start getting lined up.
Gee, all those junkyard inlines seeking Fieros for serious relationships.

The Atlas engine is a beast, but it's also huge, at least as a six holer.
Bottom line is there's just not room to do a transverse install of a six-in-a-row.
The 4 cylinder is probably do-able, but the Ecotec has kind of stolen its thunder, by now.

Me? I've got a 4.9 swapped Fiero that I'd pretty much drive anywhere.
Also about to start on an LQ1, 3.4 DOHC, in a different car, unless something else catches my eye, first.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-17-2022).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2022 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the obsession with Fiero people with how many?

How May left, how many yellow 88’s, how many running, how many care?

I don’t see this with most other models but ever since the Fiero was killed so many are obsessed over rarity and how many.

Not being critical but just an observation.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2022 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkrie9:
800hp 4.2 threw a rod, look at the guts of it !

Impressive! Looks like they found the fuse.
*Spoiler... One rod broke, and added symmetrical inspection ports to the block. Three other rods bent.
I never would have thought they'd get 800 HP. I would have guessed 600 or so.

Still don't think it will fit, in any sort of practical manner.
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2022 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own 2 swaps currently, and sold a 4.9 swapped '84 in 2009 which is still being driven (has over 105k miles on the swap now without major repair). I also sold a 3800 swap '86 but I do not believe it's 'alive' today, I'm almost certain the young man totaled it.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our WhatsApp Nova Scotia Fiero group has as many swapped cars as ones with original motors - unless you count the dead rusty hulks that will never be on the road again. Jus sayin

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a question; What qualifies as a swap? Different engines obviously, but what if you swap in another L44? And then, to cut it really fine, what about the F-body 3.4 long-block swap? Is that an "engine swap"...?
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Here is a question; What qualifies as a swap? Different engines obviously, but what if you swap in another L44? And then, to cut it really fine, what about the F-body 3.4 long-block swap? Is that an "engine swap"...?

My view is that a "swap" is putting in any engine that was not offered from the factory for that year of that car. Like Dennis also earlier mentioned the 3.4L bolt in "upgrade". That's a swap. In your quote you clarified with "F-Body 3.4....". Once you specify what other model/platform the engine came out of, it's a swap. And yes, if someone put a V6 Fiero engine into their '84 or '85, I would still call that a swap.

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 05-25-2022).]

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aside from the curiosity of how many are left from a 5 year model run three decades later, and of those left how many still have the stock engine behind the seats there will be more who want to split the hair finer. How many V8s and of those V8s how many are 4.9s, small blocks, LS3, Northstars of those V8s how many are NA and how many are turbos and how many are now supercharged....Its a wonderful thing that Fieros are still evolving to engines that are coming into availability while other engines are starting to become scarce. How many 2.8 engines are available versus 3.4s? I'm having a 3.4 being put in finally but finding a 3.4 was startlingly difficult. Even finding the 2.8s may become harder. Which means that engines will become far more radical for replacements. In the smog regulated states this will become more of a challenge. Hiding a 3.4 in 2.8 clothing is easier than "hiding" a 3.8 SC from a smog inspector. It sounds like it might get easier to smog a 3.8 SC in California but there is a lot of work to get it done and done well. I can see why most want to stay stock. There are no consistent engine swaps, everyone has different ways of solving problems with engines whose harness have to conform to a 30 year old chassis. Why throw the dice unless you absolutely know the mechanic that build it and trust their conversions. This may be the reason why the swaps are not as high as one would think.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2022 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Estimator of truth"? This sounds like something from the O/T area of the forum.

Estimator is a term used in statistics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimator

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Originally posted by Trinten:
My view is that a "swap" is putting in any engine that was not offered from the factory for that year of that car. Like Dennis also earlier mentioned the 3.4L bolt in "upgrade". That's a swap. In your quote you clarified with "F-Body 3.4....". Once you specify what other model/platform the engine came out of, it's a swap. And yes, if someone put a V6 Fiero engine into their '84 or '85, I would still call that a swap.

I'd draw the line where custom coolant, throttle, fuel lines, and mounts (even if just the dogbone) have to be fabricated.

FYI, 85 Fieros came with V6s.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-25-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock