SD4 IMSA help by Awalker W02
Started on: 07-05-2020 05:31 PM
Replies: 92 (2539 views)
Last post by: Awalker W02 on 02-02-2024 08:21 PM
Awalker W02

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i had an opportunity to pick up some molds from a guy in St Louis. Unfortunately the owner had no information on the molds other than they have been sitting in his yard for about 10 Years.
so a little bit about the molds. They are Bumper pad Notchie molds, for sure wider than stock, they look like they could be for an IMSA SD4 car but i have a few issues with that. The SD4 has a lower air dam in the front the spoiler is much larger on the sd4 than what i have. Also the Sd4 has the lower molding line and what i have flare out into the scoop and disappear. Also the belt line has been removed on the set of molds i have.

I have scoured the forum in search of any sort of documentation on these molds but have had no luck finding any information.

i have started to cast some parts and only have a set of door skins to show right now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They were very neglected when i got them but had to get them together to make sure they were the same wheelbase and everything lined up before i began.
once i cleaned them up i was able to cast the door skins.
i am ready to cast the front clip now as well.

on a side note I have already added 2 inch spacers to each side of the rear

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-05-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

177 posts
Member since Jan 2020
so if you have any information on the molds or even a picture of a car with this body that would be much appreciated.
I would like to finish in in an iconic livery as a tribute car. so any help would be great.
thank you
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The absent belt molding is interesting as are the parting lines on the molds that don't match the DGP or normal IMSA ones. There have been a couple of IMSA widebodies w/o belt line.

Gusshotrod started with a typical IMSA body and smoothed the belt line. You can see the typical panel separation in the rear, so yours is "definitely something else".

This particular car was rumored to have been built by a mfg in St. Louis that used to advertise in the back of Kit Car magazines. Quad GT picked this one up at the end of 2016. While it isn't the bumper pad style, the stories are very similar, so there might be a connection.

Sage might know a little more about this since he has been involved with the IMSA widebody kits a long time.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's probably a one-off since it has built in, 90 degree fender flares on the front fenders. No other widebody had those fender flares.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You beat me to the punch, yes that is my widebody which was sitting in barn for over 20 years
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It doesn’t have a 90* turn out. What you are looking at is the flange for the section of the mold that is for the wheel arch. I have it off to be able to lay glass on the exterior. Then I’ll put it on at glass in the inner wheel arch.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

177 posts
Member since Jan 2020

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The absent belt molding is interesting as are the parting lines on the molds that don't match the DGP or normal IMSA ones. There have been a couple of IMSA widebodies w/o belt line.

Gusshotrod started with a typical IMSA body and smoothed the belt line. You can see the typical panel separation in the rear, so yours is "definitely something else".

This particular car was rumored to have been built by a mfg in St. Louis that used to advertise in the back of Kit Car magazines. Quad GT picked this one up at the end of 2016. While it isn't the bumper pad style, the stories are very similar, so there might be a connection.

Sage might know a little more about this since he has been involved with the IMSA widebody kits a long time.

Thank you for that information.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

177 posts
Member since Jan 2020

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

It's probably a one-off since it has built in, 90 degree fender flares on the front fenders. No other widebody had those fender flares.

Another reason I font think it is a one off is the use of these molds. I can tell that they have had quite a few castings from this mold. In my opinion I don’t think it was ever sold into production but used as molds for an actual race car body. That and because I have 2 sets of the same bumper mold.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my widebody entire front clip is all one piece... both fenders and nose are all one piece

Rear clip is one piece
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:

So my widebody entire front clip is all one piece... both fenders and nose are all one piece

Rear clip is one piece

That is the way this one will be when it comes out of the mold. Other than the hood and decklid. I will have a front and rear clip.
PFF
System Bot
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I’m getting ready to lay some glass down but I figured I would get you a close up look. So my bumper pads are actually reseeded instead of protruding out.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-07-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

177 posts
Member since Jan 2020
I have also noticed that on the original DGP fiero the side moldings are not moded into the body. its almost as if they were added on as an afterthought. They look like the stick on round moldings one could buy.
if one looks close around the wheel wells you will notice that the moldings don't go over the body line of the arch.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-07-2020).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a few when Rick owned that DGP to give you a close up of the molding:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-07-2020).]

Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My factory DGP with a close up of mouldings
Excuse the shot with ribs as my buddy was playing with my kids play dough lol

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Send a message to Sage, on this forum. He may know something about your molds.
He owns (as far as I know) all of the old DGP / IRM molds, and was producing parts for Fiero Warehouse for years. He now sells (on a "per order" basis, only) as Sage Glassworks.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-08-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea I got his email from Mr Hammond I just haven’t gotten around to it.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just noticed your user name... Awalker W02.
Is that "W02" as in Western Edition? There are only 2 -3 of those on the entire forum.

Hope you find what you need, regarding the molds.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Just noticed your user name... Awalker W02.
Is that "W02" as in Western Edition? There are only 2 -3 of those on the entire forum.

Hope you find what you need, regarding the molds.

Yep.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-09-2020).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Awalker W02:

Yep.

Very nice! Very.
(Edit - Do I see an LX9? LZ4? Do tell...)

Mine's a bit raggedy...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-10-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice! Very.
(Edit - Do I see an LX9? LZ4? Do tell...)

It is an lz9 out of a g6 GTP Schwa motorsports (ephkay) on the forum did the swap. Has a north star throttle body, ls valve spring, It is tuned by micosquirt. Future plans were to add boost but now I’m leaning towards itb’s. The car itself has a crappy respray on it and needs redone pretty bad. It’s been lowered 1” the rear sway bar has been added and corvette 12” drilled and slotted rotors up front.

Call me stupid but I traded him for the mini widebody I made.

To this day it is still one of my favorite builds.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-10-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

177 posts
Member since Jan 2020
The build is somewhere on the forum
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen at least parts of the build. That's a beautiful car, too.
I've done brake/suspension upgrades to mine as well, and I'm planning an LQ1 swap.
I'll step out of your thread, now. Thanks!
Good luck with your project.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen at least parts of the build. That's a beautiful car, too.
I've done brake/suspension upgrades to mine as well, and I'm planning an LQ1 swap.
I'll step out of your thread, now. Thanks!
Good luck with your project.

I need to get in there and update it with the last project I just finished. Custom one off front bumper.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it!
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a little update on what I’ve gotten done so far. The passenger door skin was blocked trimmed and added about half the mounting points so far. I was able to mount the skin so I could make sure all my door gaps are good and have plenty of adjustments before I complete the rest of the mounting points on the inside. I was able to cast the rear spoiler as well I did confirm with sage that it is the smaller of the irm spoilers he has. When the heat breaks I should be able to cast the front clamshell.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-19-2020).]

da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Awalker W02:

I need to get in there and update it with the last project I just finished. Custom one off front bumper.

Can I just have you paint my next Fiero? Your results seem a lot better than the last person who tried to do mine.

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:
Can I just have you paint my next Fiero? Your results seem a lot better than the last person who tried to do mine.

Not a problem as long as you don’t mind waiting. I have a few jobs lined up already. I also don’t turn jobs around as fast as shops do. I can usually do one complete car in about 4 months. Just have to remember it’s not my full time job.

Here is some more eye candy I did.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-20-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2020 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me for a lack of gel coat on these parts. I’m going into this unknowing what my results will be and really don’t want to wast the material and money. I have ran into a few things here and there that need modifications which render the gelcoat useless. Here is a fender fresh out of the mold. A couple issues I ran into while working this mold. It is a two piece and when I put the wheel arch in I rolled my glass in the actual fender it’s self so I got a roll and bubble in the glass. The second is it looks like the the wheel well is too far back and not centered with the wheel.

In the next few days I will be adressing the few issues and get the fender and spoiler in primer

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 07-26-2020).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking for the belt line to determine if it was a race or street body. Looks like a street body. Lots of experts on the forum that know more about that history than I. If it were a race body, I might be able to help more.

------------------
Paul

PFF
System Bot
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excuse the fit and trim right now as it’s fresh out of the mold but another step further.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 08-04-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The recessed center portion of the front end could have lots of possibilities for modification. I like it better than the protruding bumper pads.

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea I’m not sure exactly what I’m gonna do there. I really do like it better than the bumper pads and it really growing on mute the way it is, but I’m also thinking about modifying it to look like the 87 88 coupe nose
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know forgive me this request for help and information has turned into a build thread. Since I separated out all 3 pieces of the font clip for ease of casting I have changed my mind. I was originally making flanges in each piece to bolt together. I have decided just to make the front clip one piece other than the hood. I was able to put my molds back together and place the 3 pieces back in and mold them together. After I popped it out I couldn’t ask for a better fit around the hood. Yea it still needs a little tweaking but I’m going into fitment blind as I don’t know what to expect from the molds.

I have decided to add the lower air dam as well to this body. I’m not going to tell you my secrets but in involved a gt bumper. Hehe.

My next task at hand will be creating the mounting points for the front clip. Trimming up and glassing in the lower air dam and then stiffining up some weak points in the clip.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 08-07-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

177 posts
Member since Jan 2020
Things are just sitting there and it’s a little low to the ground so I’m going to do a bit of trimming and centering up before I get it molded together but you get the idea

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

177 posts
Member since Jan 2020
A bit more adjustments

I just pulled the dam forward a bit. Now it will get raised up a bit too and smoothed before it gets attached

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2020 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It’s been a bit without an update. I managed to get all of the mounting points on the front clip attached and drilled. I completed attaching the front air dam, it still needs finish work but it’s one step closer.

Secondly I was able to cast the passenger quarter. Fresh out of the mold I had to set it up for fitment. The wheels have already been offset 2 inches. The body lines up great with the wheels.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 08-18-2020).]

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2020 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a really interesting body!

I've been around Fieros a LONG time, but can't recall ever seeing a front end even remotely like that... keep up the great work!
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

This is a really interesting body!

I've been around Fieros a LONG time, but can't recall ever seeing a front end even remotely like that... keep up the great work!

I know that’s my issue too. I have been around the fiero scene since 2006 but cannot place this body anywhere.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock