SD4 IMSA help by Awalker W02
Started on: 07-05-2020 05:31 PM
Replies: 94 (2611 views)
Last post by: Awalker W02 on 04-09-2024 03:56 PM
Awalker W02

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2020 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another update. I haven’t made much progress but the rear bumper is cast.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 08-25-2020).]

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2020 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

This is a really interesting body!

I've been around Fieros a LONG time, but can't recall ever seeing a front end even remotely like that... keep up the great work!

Heck... I bought my first Fiero new in 85. I have never seen that body. Ever.

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2020 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front clip is officially fit. I have a little work to do at the front door gap to fit my liking but everything else is looking great and ready for primer.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 09-07-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2020 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished up attaching all the mounts on the passenger door skin, fiberglass the rear clip to one complete piece, and cast the ds door skin today. Very productive day today

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 09-12-2020).]

Speedracerfx1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Speedracerfx1Send a Private Message to Speedracerfx1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me you have plans to eventually sell kits. I wanted to purchase an IMSA kit this year, but Tedd isn't making parts anymore, and I didn't have the funds to buy the entire business from Doug to get the molds.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Speedracerfx1:

Please tell me you have plans to eventually sell kits. I wanted to purchase an IMSA kit this year, but Tedd isn't making parts anymore, and I didn't have the funds to buy the entire business from Doug to get the molds.

At this point I am really undecided. I really won’t be able to tell anyone that until I get this one done completely. I am keeping track of hours and materials and I can tell you there is a reason most of the kits cost 5k or over. I am progressing rather quickly since I have been working from home since March. I have to have to car in primer by our October fall cruise to the Arkansas dragon.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

179 posts
Member since Jan 2020
I did make some progress today as well. Cast the Passenger rocker and glassed the passenger quarter to the clip.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 09-13-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few more pictures

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 09-14-2020).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the body has some potential, but that rear bumper just doesn't do it for me. Looks like it sticks out a few inches past stock and looks a little out of place. Might be an area worth reworking.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Most of the body has some potential, but that rear bumper just doesn't do it for me. Looks like it sticks out a few inches past stock and looks a little out of place. Might be an area worth reworking.

Yep, that rear bumper is definitely on my list. I have figured a way to shorten it a bit. It also needs something else like a diffuser or something a little bit lower. I’m still working out the details but there will be some reworking done here.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2020 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some work done this weekend working on some finish work before primer and shortening up the rear bumper. I took about 2 1/2 inches out of the length of it and got it glasses back in. I still need to glass the underside but that will come when I remove the clip for paint.

I also have been working on a couple designs for paint and will be posting those when I get them finished.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 09-20-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2020 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks much better!
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2020 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are my 2 concepts. They are just rough drafts but good enough to get the idea

I need comments and opinions on the paint
Thank you

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 09-20-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2020 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finished up casting my last panel today. Driver side rocker. Now finish work wheel liner mounts and then we are ready for primer
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2020 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished up the rear inner wheel wells. And did some finish work. I also went ahead and did a quick coat of primer just to see where I am at with my body work. I have a few areas that need attention but overall not to bad.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 10-04-2020).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2020 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good...like I knew it would!

Have to add though, its definitely a "wide body"...but it's not an IMSA body. That's not a cut, just an observation.

You do very nice work, and that is going to look really nice when you get finished!

Keep the updates coming!

HAGO!
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2020 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Lookin' good...like I knew it would!

Have to add though, its definitely a "wide body"...but it's not an IMSA body. That's not a cut, just an observation.

You do very nice work, and that is going to look really nice when you get finished!

Keep the updates coming!

HAGO!

Thanks. It was hard to tell how wide it was with just the molds and once in primer it really looks wider than what I feel it is Just about 2 inches over each wheel in the back and only about a half and inch up front. It still needs a lot of work before paint. Some issues I knew about I just needed to see it in primer. I have also come to the realization it’s not the imsa widebody like I had hoped but still a great opportunity to build a car I have never seen before.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2020 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This body uses the stock rear wheel house liners, but the fender openings are full diameter? (unlike the original IMSA body that had smaller wheel openings)
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2020 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

This body uses the stock rear wheel house liners, but the fender openings are full diameter? (unlike the original IMSA body that had smaller wheel openings)

Yes it does work with the stock inner liners. I am still working on the front as this mold set was missing the front lip on the inside of the fenders but nothing that can’t be fabricated.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And back in the car for some fitment and blocking. Lots of blocking

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 10-06-2020).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When are your 18x13 HREs and 335/30-18 Hoosiers coming in?
PFF
System Bot
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When are your 18x13 HREs and 335/30-18 Hoosiers coming in?

$$$$$$$$$. I’m a typical Fiero owner. Nuff said. Haha haha.

Wheels and tires will be coming in a year or two. It’s so hard to buy new right now when my tire tread is at 95% And with COVID I think the car has 250 Maybe 300 miles on it this year so far. But yes they will get some meat in the back.

Chris (ephkay) has figured out the offsets and spacing on his I built a few years ago. Just a matter of funds right now.
Here is a picture he just sent me today. As he is working on exhaust but those tires.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 10-06-2020).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a build thread handy? How big are they?

285's fit under stock bodywork with stock suspension geometry... I'm closing in on a strut clamp extension design that *should* allow 18x11 and 315/30-18 to fit under stock bodywork.

By "under" I mean that the tire tucks inside the fender lip when the suspension is jounced to metal-to-metal contact. Due to "kingpin" inclination, the tire actually ends up a little outboard of the fender lip at ride height.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there a build thread handy? How big are they?

285's fit under stock bodywork with stock suspension geometry... I'm closing in on a strut clamp extension design that *should* allow 18x11 and 315/30-18 to fit under stock bodywork.

By "under" I mean that the tire tucks inside the fender lip when the suspension is jounced to metal-to-metal contact. Due to "kingpin" inclination, the tire actually ends up a little outboard of the fender lip at ride height.

Yes and no. He has one but he hasn’t updated it in probably 6 months since he figured out the wheels and working on a new intake. But here is his personal page.
https://schwamotorsports.co...irst-year-of-the-vr6

Here is the build thread for the body
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097569.html
I need to get In there and finish posting about my last project
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2020 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished a quick prime 100% back together and ready for our yearly Fall canyon run

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 10-18-2020).]

Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks great!

HAGO!
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks great!

HAGO!

Thanks. I am going to reach out and ask one question. How do you control shrinking fiberglass? I have a couple spots that have puckered on its own. It’s nothing too concerning right now as I know I have a lot of fit and finish ahead of me, but just for future reference.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what "shrinkage" your talking about. All fiberglass has an inherent percentage of "shrinkage"....but in most cases, it's so insignificant and takes place over such a long period of time, it's basically inconsequential.

If you are getting parts that don't fit because of what you're calling shrinkage, I'd say there's something else that needs addressing.

Can you be a little more specific about the shrinkage you are dealing with?

Car is looking great. Kind of puts me in mind of a wide body that an outfit down in FL did back in the 80's or 90's, but sorry, can't remember who is was exactly. Theirs was a little bit more "extreme" on the WIDE aspect, but the body was all molded together, sort of how yours is coming along, and the wheel wells were particularly "eye catching".

Maybe somebody else remembers the one I'm talking about and who did it, and maybe even has a pic or two. I believe it (the car) was at the Daytona show one year too. It was painted gold.

HAGO!
Speedracerfx1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Speedracerfx1Send a Private Message to Speedracerfx1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That really looks great!
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure what "shrinkage" your talking about. All fiberglass has an inherent percentage of "shrinkage"....but in most cases, it's so insignificant and takes place over such a long period of time, it's basically inconsequential.

If you are getting parts that don't fit because of what you're calling shrinkage, I'd say there's something else that needs addressing.

Can you be a little more specific about the shrinkage you are dealing with?

HAGO!

Shrinkage my be the wrong word to use. I just have a few spots that were straight when they came out of the mold and straight after primer, but when the cooler weather hit there are a few spots that are not straight anymore. Again nothing a little blocking and a reprime won’t take care of.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you are talking about warpage as opposed to shrinkage. Not to "split hairs"...but they are different things technically.

Warpage can be caused by your mold not having sufficient bracing, or laying up your parts too thin (not enough layers of mat/cloth. Can also happen if you don't leave the part in the mold long enough to cure to the point it'll hold it's shape. All fiberglass (at least hand layup) takes quite a while to fully cure...like 6 months or more! Until it's fully cured, it's referred to as "green". You can take a part out too soon (less than 24 hours) and not have it warp too bad as long as you get it in place (where it'll end up) and fastened good. Just some stuff from my own experience, it's why I always leave my parts in the molds a MINIMUM of 24 hours.

Maybe you followed all those guidelines and still have the problem? Could also be not quite the right mix on resin to MEKP, or the lack of gel coat. The gel coat thing is sort of "grasping at straws" as an explanation, but doing the gel coat first in your mold, not only gives you a nicer finish to work with, but also helps stabilize the laminate.

It's been my experience, that warpage, 90% of the time is from the mold being warped, even if it LOOKS straight. Just my 2cents, since you asked! (Your results may vary )

HAGO!
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car is looking great. Kind of puts me in mind of a wide body that an outfit down in FL did back in the 80's or 90's, but sorry, can't remember who is was exactly. Theirs was a little bit more "extreme" on the WIDE aspect, but the body was all molded together, sort of how yours is coming along, and the wheel wells were particularly "eye catching".

Maybe somebody else remembers the one I'm talking about and who did it, and maybe even has a pic or two. I believe it (the car) was at the Daytona show one year too. It was painted gold.

HAGO!

That would be the B&B Spyder Widebody!

I thought that someone resurfaced (on Facebook?) with those moulds, but I haven't seen or heard anything specific!
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve just had bad experience with gel coated products in the past hiding air bubbles under the surface. That was more from bad workmanship with the parts manufacturer than product though, and I’ll be honest going onto this I didn’t have much experience with anything this big so I wanted to ensure that I getting the glass laid down right. The last wide body I did I didn’t build off of a mold but I did allow all the glass to sit for 6 months after I built it before I painted it again. I just assumed that my warpage was from an inconsistency in the thickness in areas of the hand laid glass and it all curing at different rates. Everything stayed in the molds for 24 hours after being laid out except my wheel wells but the went right into place after I popped them off. I still have the fronts to do, as well as fixing some gap issues that don’t meet my quality. But I figured it best to wait the 6 months as I did on the blue car to address the issues otherwise I’m just going to be readdressing them again.
Sage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep...."voids"....something every fiberglasser works to "avoid"....but inevitably, all have had to deal with at some time, either in their own work, or in prepping somebody else's.

The hell of it is, the part looks "perfect" until you start sanding....the more you sand, the thinner the gel gets, the more likely you're going to expose a void. That's what experience and the roller are for.

Very hard to get a part done without a single void, but it has happened on occasion. I, and I'm sure everybody else who hand lays parts, strives to not get voids, but they are kind of "inevitable" That's why the prep work before paint is so critical with glass parts. Gel coat is supposed to be fairly thick, (like 20mil), but it usually isn't. Voids occur most commonly in corners and "sharp" bends...that's one of the reasons mold makers usually try to observe the 3º rule. That means that even if a part is supposed to be 90º...it's usually best to keep it 3º shy of that. Also makes it easier/better to pull the parts out of the molds.

One way to help "avoid voids"....is to after putting the gel coat in your mold, applying a "slurry", ( kind of like duraglass, but you mix it up yourself with resin, talc and mekp), into the corners, sharp angles in the molds after the gel and before the reinforcement. Sort of "rounds" any corners that may be hard to get the cloth/mat to conform to, more "gradual". Anyway, you already know what you're up against doing the finish work with no gel, so have at it!

If you have places where your reinforcement is thinner than others, then that's probably where you're getting your warpage. 3 1/2 layers of ounce and half mat is pretty much industry standard for a part, but whatever you use, it should be uniform thickness.

You do good work, so do it whatever way you know works for you. What you've done so far looks completely acceptable, considering you are more than willing to put in the time/effort to bring it to the point of a stellar finish.

HAGO!

Yes Rob, that's the one! B&B also correct. Boy I'm tellin' ya'.....after you get your head full of crap for more than 6 decades....some of it starts to all sort of "run together"...and it's often difficult to stop the rolodex at the right spot! I guess the color is actually more of a "bronze or copper" than gold, but that IS the car I was thinking of. Man...the wells on that do stand out, don't they!

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 10-22-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well 6 months of rest is almost up so it’s about time to get back in the ball game working on this body. Just one crack has shown up and just a warps as the glass shrank. No I’ll start working on making all my gaps even and make sure the body gets blocked straight. I think I’m going to modify the bumpers at the lights to look more like the 87-88 coupe bumpers

Here is a look at the fiero as we got back from our trip in October. As you can see things were a little frozen.

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 02-28-2021).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was playing around a little bit trying to stylize the rear a bit more. This is just a rough photo shop and I may play with the design a bit more. The spoiler is going to change as well. Not sure if I’m going to m just widen it and mold it in or if I’m going to go back factory with it.

Any ideas or comments?

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 03-09-2021).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Image doesn't work
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The image is loading okay for me? Unless he fixed it already.

I can see the appeal there. It's a little bit Ferrari, but not trying to be a clone of any kind. Has a sleek 80s exotic car vibe to it.

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 03-09-2021).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea my cellphone is weird and won’t allow me to post the photos in the initial comment. I have to go back in and edit the comment to add them.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2021 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished up my last customer so it’s time to get some work in before the next.
I recast my driver door skin as I was having some delamination issues with my fist. That panel was the first time I had cast from these molds and the largest cast really I have ever done so it was a trial to be honest.

I then moved to the front wheel liners and fiberglassed in the ps arch I had to move the whole opening forward about a half an inch to center the wheel so some additional body work was needed and as you can see still in progress.

My next objective is to figure out if I want to proceed with moldings or not? I have some half round Urethane adhesive molding. They will get painted but Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Awalker W02 (edited 06-23-2021).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock