Introduction to the forum by Red98422
Started on: 03-29-2018 10:47 AM
Replies: 36 (662 views)
Last post by: Red98422 on 04-17-2018 01:21 AM
Red98422

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good morning all! Thanks for the add and the site full of resources! I am now the proud owner of a “cherry” (sarcasm) of an ‘84. I’ve always liked these cars and I found this one for a killer price. I know I will end up haunting this site for all sorts of information, and there is one hell of a story about me getting it home (it was “only” 1.5 hrs away) that I will tell when I figure out how to post pictures from a phone (I don’t own any sort of computer)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Welcome to the madness"

I believe you'll need to use a photo hosting site of some kind that lets you "hotlink" if you only have a phone.
fierotrev2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierotrev2014Send a Private Message to fierotrev2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

Lots of great info and people here that can help you out in plenty of ways! Including myself to the best I can

To post pics your going to need to download pip (pennocks image poster) to a computer. I'm unsure if it can be done from a phone. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Once you get that far I want to hear the story behind how you got that car!

Trevor

------------------
Garage:

**2007 Saturn Ion (Green Lantern)**

**1988 Fiero Formula 3800sc**

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to both of you for the reply’s. I will be looking into photo hosting sites after work to share my adventure
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red98422:

Thanks to both of you for the reply’s. I will be looking into photo hosting sites after work to share my adventure

Welcome!
Post your photos to THIS site: https://www.fiero.nl/pip.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-081730.html

Too many threads with photos posted elsewhere end up looking like this in time:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-065112.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-086808.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-29-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and there is one hell of a story about me getting it home (it was “only” 1.5 hrs away) that I will tell when I figure out how to post pictures from a phone (I don’t own any sort of computer)

As much as I promote the use of PIP here myself, I'm afraid the multiple suggestions to use PIP to post your images are for naught. PIP requires a Windows PC.

Use a photo hosting site such Flickr or Imgur etc. Images should also be re-sized and/or presented no wider than 1024 pixels so that they properly fit within the structure of a forum thread (without the need to scroll side to side).

Yes, we'd enjoy seeing your adventure!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-29-2018).]

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the link and I really wish it was that easy...I don’t own/have access/have use of a computer. Also I have an iPhone. Due to where I live I don’t have internet nor could I ever get it (I live on a boat). I will have to find something that works on mobile device and will work with apple software.
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Red98422

114 posts
Member since Mar 2018
Patric, thank you for the suggestion I will be trying those this afternoon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep it would be great if there were another way via mobile. Something like PIP. Or a direct upload. Maybe someday.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2018 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick, thank you for the suggestion I will be trying those this afternoon.

And if the image file size can be kept to 300 kb or smaller, you won't end up with icons (which need to be clicked) instead of images.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Due to where I live I don’t have internet nor could I ever get it (I live on a boat). I will have to find something that works on mobile device and will work with apple software.

I am the 'puter dummy. I have an IPhone hot linking my desktop.
Also, every library has free computer usage.

Sorry if I told you something you already know.

Living on a boat, that must be cool.
I want to hear of your adventure even if you do not post pictures.

Welcome to the forum.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 03-31-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've spent quite a few of my years living on boats too. I live in Spokane and one of my Fieros is an 84 too. Do you live anywhere near Spokane?
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry all for leaving you in suspense lol. However I have flikr now and I am uploading some pics and taking some more this afternoon before I start pulling out my interior this afternoon. Cliff, I am aware of the hotspot and the library however thank you for the suggestions. And Dratts, I’m unfortunately not close to Spokane I’m in the Tacoma area, as for living on a boat it’s pretty dang awesome if you don’t mind smaller spaces, I’ve been through about 4 boats now finally in my dream boat. However that is off topic. As far as my “mint” Fiero goes I’ll be trying to post a test/teaser picture here whenever the photos upload to flikr
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Red98422

114 posts
Member since Mar 2018

Test pic
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Test pic

I've downloaded and re-sized your image. This (or smaller) is what you're after...

Originally posted by Patrick:

Use a photo hosting site such Flickr or Imgur etc. Images should also be re-sized and/or presented no wider than 1024 pixels so that they properly fit within the structure of a forum thread (without the need to scroll side to side).

And if the image file size can be kept to 300 kb or smaller, you won't end up with icons (which need to be clicked) instead of images.

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Patrick, I will try to see how to do that...I’m using flikr, so do I have to resize it before I upload the image to the hosting site or resize it in flikr?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I’m using flikr, so do I have to resize it before I upload the image to the hosting site or resize it in flikr?

I honestly don't know the ins and outs of hosting images with Flickr. Maybe someone who's more familiar with Flickr can post what's the best way to link to an image that's 1024 pixels in width and no bigger than 300 kb.

I understand you're limited to using your phone, but speaking for myself, I'd hate not being able to use my PC for posting here or at any other forum.

I downloaded the highest resolution version of your image from Flickr and used IrfanView on my PC to resize and re-compress the image. Then I uploaded with PIP.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-31-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

37191 posts
Member since Apr 99
I found the following "how to" video. Looks like re-sizing an image within Flickr is quite easy. The only problem is that there is no control of the re-compression ratio. In other words, if you create an image 1024 pixels in width (from a larger image), it's possible that the file size will still be greater than 300 kb. Anyway, try it and see how you make out.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-31-2018).]

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2018 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying again this one is 900x900 don’t know the size hope it works lol
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2018 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Red98422

114 posts
Member since Mar 2018
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2018 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You're not actually linking to an image. The address needs to have ".jpg" at the end of it. It's probably got something to do with Sharing in the Flickr settings.

[EDIT] Try doing what the Scotsman advises...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-01-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2018 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff, I am aware of the hotspot and the library however thank you for the suggestions.

Dammit, , I don't want to see pictures. I want to hear of your adventure/ordeal, .
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Cliff for the encouragement! I’ve decided that when it comes to anything other than spinning wrenches or welding (oxy/fuel or arc) I’m pretty inept, I mean heck my brother who programs arduiono controllers couldn’t help me do this from a phone, so here goes my story...if anyone is willing to pm me with an email or something to help me with pics that’s awesome but I will continue in dialogue as it were.
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could start with drama but let me start off with...I was looking for an amazing project (aren’t we all?!?!?) and I saw this advertisement on the CL. So it was barely beneath my criteria (local, cheap and older than ‘85) but the price was amazing...The AD states simply “1984 Pontiac Fiero, sold with affidavit, runs and drives. Has a leaky sunroof” They had three pictures, one was the dash with ODOone was the outside (port, full broadside) and one was a sorta interior shot with the messed up seat. Got a hold of the seller and set a date of the next Sunday afternoon to meet. Well I meat this guy and wow. All I can say is it was a debacle, the car in question was covered in mold/moss. And it has one of the biggest ricer wings I have ever seen on the deck lid. The color is a maroon with enough glitter for an entire strip club. I get to talking to the guy and he told me “it just needs a jump and it’ll start right up”...needless to say it needed a completely new battery, which to his credit he actually pulled out of one of his cars (it was a Cadillac CTS) well after that whole issue got sorted out and I had to crank it for a dang long time it finally fired up...sorta. It sounded like complete garbage, missing and stuttering smelled rich as heck too. I figured what the heck I’ll take it for a drive, this was about the time I noticed that the battery tray was pretty much non existent and the battery was about 1/8” away from the water pump pulley, so we rigged up a ratchet strap from behind the battery, under the positive post to help hold it up and then around the B-pillar through the passenger window to connect to the shoulder belt hoop. Finally “test drove” it and it drove about as well as it ran. However I got back, we made a deal and I bought the car. This is where the adventure truly begins, because now I get to drive it back home.

------------------
————————————

1984 SE auto

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the next thing I needed to do was grab some fuel. The gauge was reading E but I wasn’t sure if the gauge worked so I stopped into a station....and proceeded to spend the next 30mins trying to figure out/find the tank release lever....(drivers side B-pillar if you were wondering). Got that sorted and all was well. I was on the highway and she was still running like garbage but kinda going, until I hit a small hill and that was where she refused to go any further speed started to drop and she wouldn’t go past idle then she started to backfire bad out the exhaust I pulled over in the side and the first thing I did was pull the air cleaner contraption off. Nothing looked too bad in there so I pulled the spark plugs figuring I could at least read them to see what’s going on. The only ones left were 1 & 4. 2&3 were completely wasted, I mean to say there was no electrode left, I’ve seen better spark plugs come out of a burned up nitro motor. Fearing the worst case scenario, but out of other options I went to a nearby parts store to get new plugs, when I got there and I handed the plugs off to the clerk his first comment to me was “so what kind of project are you trying to get on the road”. Anyways I got the new and correct plugs and after checking for compression (ie putting your finger over the plug hole and having someone crank it) I got the new plugs in and she fired off!!! She was running soooo much better with all four cylinders! Also apologies for the multiple installments it takes a long time for me to type this all out and I’ve been ridiculously busy lately.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just kidding... but I'm sure you catch my drift.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red98422:
Thank you Cliff for the encouragement! QUOTE]

Thank you for the tale. My my folks, I think Red98422 has got it bad, . I see a few more Fieros in his future.

Red98422, I am also usually busy as heck. Your tale though seems to have inspired me to start a new thread. I hope I can, or anybody can and I will add to it.

"Tragic Fiero Tales". We all have some.

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, the tale is not yet complete lol, there is one more installment left before I finally got her home, and as for more Fieros in the future we shall see, my lady already says she thinks my notchie is and I quote “ugly and boxy” then I showed her a pic of a fastback and she liked that one...sounds like enough on an excuse for me to start looking for a fastback!
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
Dammit, , I don't want to see pictures. I want to hear of your adventure/ordeal, .

Cliff, the tale is not yet complete lol, there is one more installment left before I finally got her home ...

Patiently waiting.

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the spark plug debacle was sorted out I spun her back onto the highway, something I should have mentioned earlier is that the turn signals didn’t work and the window crank was missing luckily I had a pair of pliers but this means I did this entire adventure with the window down and hand signals...which apparently nobody knows what those are anymore. However I was able to get her cruising at around 65 and other than the fact she felt like she was darting all over the road on every bump and really hard to hold steady wasn’t too bad once you embraced the sketchy. I ended up making it about 20miles before I lost all power. Literally all power, the engine shut down the lights went off just dead. Managed to wrangle it over to the side of the road and this is where I noticed a small (14ga) wire just poked into the positive terminal, when I wiggled it I had power....so I wrapped it more securely and figured I would be good until I finally got home. Well 5miles down the road I see a flash of spark a big smoke cloud and the car is dead again. Looked like the wire had hard grounded itself and completely fried the wire. I was trying to chase it back to see where it even went and the wire was just shot, it literally crumbled in my hands. I chased it back to two bigger red wires (10-8ga) that were crammed into the shoddiest crimp connector I’ve ever seen. Lacking other options I cut it with my pliers and stripped then with my knife, then I had to come up with how to get power to them. Lucky for me this wasn’t my first rodeo buying a cheap car and I had a set of jumper cables which I proceeded to hack apart (and cut myself good in the process) and strip one of the wires, the problem I ran into at this point was that I had nothing resembling wire caps or electrical tape, so I used some medical tape (for me and the bare wire ends) then I used some old mop strings off the road to secure the wire away from the exhaust and the taped portions away from any grounds. Surprisingly this was it, the rest was smooth sailing. I got her home and even though it took 4 hours to make a 1.5hour trip I learned a lot about my new car...for one a LOT of hakery was done to the wiring before I even got to it (I have no less than three relays that are just dangling in the breeze and two that aren’t even hooked up, I have wires that are cut under the dash that are being used to tie up the other wires and lastly I have a fistful of wires in the trunk area that don’t look to go anywhere including a big flat connector that’s not plugged into anything) secondly I learned that in a pinch if you have nothing else medical tape works to connect wires. Unfortunately I also learned that generally society as a whole sucks....the whole time this was happening and the numerous and lengthy amount of times I was on the side of the road trying to fix my car not one car stopped to offer help or even ask if I was ok...kinda sad but I guess that’s the way it goes nowadays. And that ladies and gentleman is the epic adventure that it took me to get my fiero home
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting tale.

However, it could've been improved with images... and paragraphs.
PFF
System Bot
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paragraphs....aren’t those the things that go into essays? Lol . Seriously though I see your point.
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Red98422

114 posts
Member since Mar 2018
Paragraphs....aren’t those the things that go into essays? Lol . Seriously though I see your point.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After the spark plug debacle was sorted out I spun her back onto the highway, something I should have mentioned earlier is that the turn signals didn’t work and the window crank was missing luckily I had a pair of pliers but this means I did this entire adventure with the window down and hand signals...which apparently nobody knows what those are anymore.

Red98422, thank you. Epic adventure for sure.

Unfortunately I also learned that generally society as a whole sucks....the whole time this was happening and the numerous and lengthy amount of times I was on the side of the road trying to fix my car not one car stopped to offer help or even ask if I was ok...kinda sad but I guess that’s the way it goes nowadays.

It might comfort you to know I always stop to assist. Unless my wife, (used to be) kids were with me and unless I was in a super hurry or it's to close to heavy traffic and conditions seem unsafe.

Now a days, with the advent of everybody having a cell phone, help is but a call away. Even then though, people do need help. I am not much good on the computer controlled vehicles but I have better than fair diagnostic abilities. I also carry a butt load of tools and many things I can fix. Belts, hoses, electrical. Some people just need a ride to the parts store/gas station.

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is good to know somebody stops to help people, I usually do as well. The way I see it is I’ll eventually need help myself, even with cell phones I know I have been in the can’t afford a tow truck/waiting on parts category on the side of the road, it seems to also depend on location I blew my cars engine in Roseburg Or. And I’ll tell you what some of the nicest people I have ever met it seemed like everyone was helpful in the entire city.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The way I see it is I’ll eventually need help myself ...

Yeah, we can see how well that worked out for you, .

I have been the recipient of that help. Always a thank God moment, even if it is just to see the beauty in mankind.

When I can and do help, I don't do it for me. I am also not trying to pay it back. But the high I get from doing it ? Priceless. Sometimes more than others.
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In other news I was tinkering with my battery trying to figure out a better way to keep it off the water pump, or at least take the ratchet strap out of the passenger window...well couldn’t really do it, not a whole lot of options to attach a ratchet strap under the deck lid

However looking over the mess that was once a wiring harness and I see a sensor plug dangling....with a damn screw in the socket!!!! Like it was plugged in and to top it off the PO actually then wrapped the screw with wire then grounded it to the deck lid....I don’t believe there are enough words in the English language to describe the debachery that is my cars wiring.

At least all is not lost I have the shop manual for my car ordered and it should be here by this weekend with my new brake pads!!!!! I will make this car right...or if not right at least not a rolling fire hazard.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock