Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  DISMANTLED THE DISTRIBUTOR THE WRONG WAY..AAAAAGH!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

DISMANTLED THE DISTRIBUTOR THE WRONG WAY..AAAAAGH!! by fierofetish
Started on: 07-18-2005 06:36 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Fie Ro on 07-24-2005 01:38 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2005 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I left the Fiero at my friend's house, when it broke down.He very kindly(to help me out) asked somebody to dismantle the distributor for me, with the help of the W/shop manual. It says, you can remove the rotor etc without taking the distributor out.And so he took off the cap, rotor arm, and then tried to remove the rotating pole piece...with a couple of screwdrivers!! He managed to get it off the shaft, but it is bent out of shape...and I don't think the rotor bit is meant to come off like that, even though the book says you can...Now, the problems I face....I have straightened out the pole pieces..but the rotor pole pieces, for want of a better word, seem to be pressed onto the distributor shaft, and does not have a locating slot or anything.There are no markings to be able to press it back on in the correct position, in relation to the position of the top rotor slot...and so, I can't line it up properly...and the blasted ignition module I bought on eBay in France 3 weeks ago, has not turned up either!
So, do I need to buy another distributor,because this one is dismantled incorrectly, or can I get it back together in the correct position? Also, he removed the distributor without marking the position as he took it out..that will be fun to line uo again!!
Any help. once again, will be gratefully received!!
Nick

------------------
fierofetish.PFF'S self-confessed Snowbird!!

Responsibilty: the solution for our World's Dilemmas..

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
WHAT WAS IT DOING WHEN IT 'BROKE DOWN'?
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Personnally, I think you are going to need a new distributor since you said the shaft was bent but I am no expert. I also am wondering about the gear at the bottom of the shaft. Is it still in the engine? If you got it out did you get all the pieces of the shear pin that holds it on? Man, I wish you the best but this sounds pretty tough.

------------------

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2005 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
FrancisT..It cut out going round a roundabout..and wouldn't start again!! Fuel pump SOUNDED like it should...2 second run, but it threw 3 codes...33,34 and 42. That seems to indicate a fault in the ignition module, and possibly the pick-up coil. As I had a new pick-up coil, my friend decided to try and fit it!!
Edit to add...the little spring clip which holds the pick-up coil in place doesn't seem to locate in its' slot..because the pick-up coil seems to be slightly deeper than it should be, preventing the clip from mounting far enough down the shaft to align with its' retaining slot...are there more than one type? It looks like the old one was glued on!! The locator pin/hole fit ok....
1MohrFiero...
The shaft isn't bent, it was just the six pole pieces were bent out of shape, when he tried to "lift" it off the shaft. The shaft is perfect.And so is the lower end...nothing came apart there..as was revealed when the distributor was removed from the block.I have realigned the bent pole pieces correctly, so now the only problem is, relocating the pole pieces onto the shaft in the correct degree of offset from the rotor slot..I hope that makes sense!!!
Thanks for the prompt replies!
Nick

------------------

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 07-18-2005).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Hey Nick you can borrow my spare module untill you get yours delivered... I have an E-tron and a GM module which I swap sometimes when diagnosing a problem, I think the E-tron is on the car now so the GM is available....let me know if you need it, I could send it out tomorrow.....
I never had a module failing but driving without a spare feels like tempting the fiero gods so I do want it back later !
...and dont let people help you if they dont know what theyre doing....but I guess you figured that already

------------------

1987GT getting 'concept GTR' treatment...1-body buildup 2-interior buildup 3-engine buildup

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Yoy need a new distributor now. The magneto with the little tabs and a magnet sandwiched in between the assembly as you no is not supposed to come off the shaft in a normal disassembly and there is a chance that the distributor housing itself was damaged in the prying process since it appears that a good bit of force is required to remove it I'm surprised he was able to remove it with screw drivers. Even if you succeeded at placing it back on the shaft the timing has to be reset and if the little tabs are not almost perfect in their location or touching any part of the tabs on the base it will likely not start.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2005 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks FieRo..I will hold on for the moment..it will probably turn up any day soon, and reading the post below yours, I guess I will need a new shaft as well..so thanks again, and will let you know!!Still waiting to hear that you will pay us a visit soon!!
Hi Joseph..yes, you seem to have confirmed my worst fears.. more often than not, I think the problems presented to us by our Fieros, are as a result of Human error, not flaws in the design of the car!! ( Just being nice, in case she is listening, and decides to give me even more payback for my comments!!)
I thing I can solve the problem with a replacement shaft...it all goes back together perfectly, just the offset of the trigger wheel will give enormous problems, I am sure!! A new shaft should fix that..or maybe I should just get a whole new setup..
Thanks again

------------------

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
take pictures, im totaly confused about whats actually been done.

matthew

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
This distributor from an 88 was rusted bad, the rotor had to be pryed out:

You can see the rust on the shaft:

Use a punch to take the cam gear off:

Keep the shim and small clip.

Pull the shaft out. This can be difficult if the shaft is dirty:

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Paul Prince

2935 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Pop the clip off the PU coil, be very carefull about the stamped steel "fingers" they bend very easily:

Unplug PU from module:

Clip that holds the PU coil. You usually get a new one.

Pull old coil off:

Clean up the base:

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Paul Prince

2935 posts
Member since Dec 2002
New coil (it is keyed so it fits one way)

Put the PU clip on and new module, use grease supplied:

Pin back in and new rotor:

New cap and you are done.

If you bent the little fingers on the shaft or where the PU coil sets you may have to replace the distributor, they are hard to bend back in the correct place for clearence............Paul

PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post
Searching the archives of the forum can be very helpful...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050410-2-057306.html

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2005 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Keep your old distributor. Someday when you rebuild your engine, you can cut the gear off and make a tool to prime your oil pump. other than that, it isn't worth messing with.

Good luck!

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2005 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic!! Thanks Paul..that is pretty much how mine looked. I think I will have to go for a new distributor..one day...
Mosh_man..this is a diagram of the offset angle that has been lost by the removal of the trigger wheel from the shaft.

I don't think I will be able to replicate it accurately enough, so it looks like getting another
Nick

------------------

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2005 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Thanks Skybax, for an excellent write-up.I have also given you a +. Unfortunately, where the car is, they don't have internet, and only speak Spanish!! A good deed gone wrong, I am afraid, but must be philosphical about it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 07-18-2005).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2005 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Like others have said, that piece wasn't meant to be removed from the shaft, and once removed it won't every stay in place properly again. It's a one-time press fit.

JazzMan

triker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trikerSend a Private Message to trikerDirect Link to This Post
Pre-oiling
The gear isn't what you use to pre-oil. It's the hex shaft that stays in the engine when you pull the distributor. It will come out with an extendable magnet. If you have an extra one you can weld a 1/4" round extension on it and run the oil pump with a drill motor.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2005 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
yo Nick:....score!

Donated by Ducattiman so you might want to thank him. This guy is donating his partscar all over europe lol...The distributor looks and turns ok but I would recommend a new pick-up coil while youre at it..
So where do I send it?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock