Started on: 03-05-2017 11:03 PM
Replies: 20 (1488 views)
Last post by: Estwing on 04-29-2018 11:09 PM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2017 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the white-to-yellow switchbacks for a while, decided to install them the other day. Also installed LED corner, tail, rear turn, 3rd brake and PON - TIAC lights. What a difference. Glad I ordered a set of switchbacks when they still had the clear lights.

took this pic a few days ago, not the best angle, but I only took this shot.

Rob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2017 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are Lookin pretty sharp !!!! all ya missing now is a set of LED markers... hint hint.

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2017 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any install issues, plug and play? Were these from BTR then?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2017 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you like the switchbacks? I did some testing, and the lighting is quite different from stock. The white is very bright in the hold, but doesn't do much for lighting up the road.
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2017 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#barndooreffect cue ogre haha

Edit to add: those are sweet! Can you post a video? Did you add the load resistor inline too? Where did you hide that ugly thing if you did.

[This message has been edited by jaredmurray88 (edited 03-07-2017).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought about doing switchbacks. Yeah its more for people to see you than to light up the road. Leave your headlights down longer.
I don't want any of the cool blue in the led though I'd want white.
Also mine would have to be white, then blink amber, amber, amber, til it went back to solid white light.
No white flashes in between. What would be sweet is if you could also choose solid amber parking light or white on demand.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are white, then blink amber, amber, amber, IIRC. They switch back to white after the blinker is off.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2017 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea I did the LED bulbs at all 4 corners, the 3rd brake light and complete tail light kit. Cleaned, buffed and painted the tail lights and did the LED install. Yes BTR kit and the switchbacks took about 3-4 min each. Super easy, i think it took longer to install the 4 corner LED's than the switchbacks. I like how bright they are, great daytime driving lights and i like the bright area they light up just in front of the car. it fills in the areas that the head lights don't. Mine are the white then amber when using the turn signal, then white when turn is done. I think you can get amber all the time if you wanted.

Pics of my new buffed and painted tails w LED lights on.

Rob
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2017 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having poorly focus to unfocused lights like above will often cause problems for the driver of the car w/ them, other drivers, etc.
Example: Glaring lights may make other drivers to see your car and then hurt or kill people near the car because of that glare.

Simple Facts:
Park/Turn lenses and fixtures are made for their job and putting bright lights cause glare problems at minimum. Even 2357 bulbs that's only a little brighter then cars calling for 2057 can cause big glare problems under white or amber lenses.
Means that Park/Turn Lenses are not focus to be used as Driving lights. Cannot really be used as Fog lights even w/ amber lenses/lamps for same reason.

Many Switchbacks are Too Bright for use as DRL.
"Dim" SB and others still need parking light on means won't = DRL. Most OEM DRL turn off w/ HL Park and/or Turn lights are on. (Even ignoring Drive w/ parking light only is not legal in most places.)

White lenses w/ white lamps are very often useless for Fog Snow and other bad weather driving and that's including most OE install HL! Even tho most say use Low Beams... Very often doesn't help. Worse when Color Temp > 4500°K and puts out blue tinted white. Human Eyes do not handle blue end of the spectrum well and why most good fog lights are amber and many sunglasses block blue light.

Originally posted by jaredmurray88:
You can't every get the terms right and think I a idiot? The effect applies to several HL "upgrades."

Doesn't matter how well the product is made when used by anyone on the road.
BTR TFS and others sell LED and more and hind behind statements like check local laws or off road use only while they laugh all the way to the bank for any problems you have using illegal lights.
Even Walmart AZ etc sells crap LED w/ same BS statements on the package to make money selling to fools. Worse, Many notices are on the back of packages that most never see or if seen Most people have no clue what it means. The Majority sees LED and believe LED must be better but is pure hype and myth for cars using normal bulbs.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Estwing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EstwingSend a Private Message to EstwingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I searched the forums and there is limited discussion on switchbacks so I'll continue on this thread.

I installed a set of amber/white led switchbacks on the front only (so far) and led side markers all around.
With the car off and parking lots on, they are white - usually. When I cycle the blinkers, the respective light will blink amber and the opposite light will turn amber and remain amber until after the turn signal is off - usually. After a couple of minutes, its hard to get the white lights to return to either side without shutting off the parking lights and turning them back on. If I bump the turn signal each direction, I can usually get them both back to white.

With the car running, they are always amber - steady amber and flash amber. When I turn the car off and leave the parking lights on, they return to white. Start the car and they turn amber.

I have tried rotating them 180 degrees, it doesn't make a difference. I'm guessing it may be a voltage/load issue since they are always amber when the engine is running and the alternator is putting out close to 14 volts.

BTR mentions something about the halogen third brake light as justification for the led flasher. That's on the list but for now I'm trying to get the switchbacks working properly. I have a BTR flasher but when I installed it, the side markers did not flash. Tail lights are still incandescent.

Would a load resistor help? Which circuit (steady or flash)?
Would a load resistor and led flasher be counter productive?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-09-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Pics of my new buffed and painted tails w LED lights on.

I like the lighting of PONTIAC...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaredmurray88:

LOL! That literally made me LOL! hahaha! Be patient, the DOT police will be along shortly

EDIT TO ADD:

I should have read further before posting, the cave dwelling DOT police has already made their opinion known again, for the four thousandth, three thundreth and twenty-seventh time spanning one hundred and forty seven threads

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-12-2018).]

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

You do know that ghe front sidd markers don't bljnk, right?

If you meant to say that front side markers don't blink, well Yes they do.

Both stock and led modified front side markers flash with the front turn signals.

They flash simultaneously with the front turn signals when the parking lights are off and they flash alternately with the front turn signals when parking lights are on.

------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-13-2018).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry. I should've written rear.
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you install LED front side markers and they do not blink with the turn signals install a 1amp bridge rectifier in the line and they will work fine. You must install one on each side at the marker light.

[This message has been edited by 1Packrat (edited 04-13-2018).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2018 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry just noticed this post was active again. Not sure if I can help, but I got the switchbacks, the rear brake light, the LED flasher, side marker lights and also did the rears (driving, brake and PONTIAC. Cost a bunch, but I like it, and it all works just fine.

Rob
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2018 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

sorry just noticed this post was active again. Not sure if I can help, but I got the switchbacks, the rear brake light, the LED flasher, side marker lights and also did the rears (driving, brake and PONTIAC. Cost a bunch, but I like it, and it all works just fine.

What did you use for the PONTIAC ?

Estwing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EstwingSend a Private Message to EstwingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I got the rest of my LEDs in for the rear. I had to grind down/off the short stud that locks it in when you twist. I also had to bevel out the socket to get the LEDs to fully seat. Got them all plugged in and they only flashed when the lights were off. The brake also only lit when the lights were off. Then I swapped out the standard flasher with the BTR digital flasher but no change. The digital flasher flashes fine with the other side which is all still incandescent except for the front switch backs. I have the BTR led third brake light but haven't gotten to that yet. I've read other posts where this resolved the issue. That makes no sense to me. I really don't want to mess w load resistors. One reason for doing this was to decrease the power demand. If I do go that route, does each build need a resistor or can I get away with one per circuit?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-09-2018).]

Estwing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EstwingSend a Private Message to EstwingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

What year is your Fiero? I understand that some years behave differently.

It's an 88 Formula. All original except LEDs throughout interior and a Kenwood media player. The interior and license plate LEDs flicker with every little variation of the idle. Tire shop just told me my battery tested weak but the engine is quick to start so I'm not worried about that. I sourced the LEDs from superbrightleds.com. I opted for the most lumens over price.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock