Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone used safelite to replace their windshield?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone used safelite to replace their windshield? by Oregon88
Started on: 07-24-2016 06:48 PM
Replies: 13 (1037 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 07-26-2016 11:00 PM
Oregon88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sadly, while cleaning my baby, I cracked her windshield.

Doing some research, I've found that safelite makes their own glass and give it a lifetime warranty.

It seems pretty convenient and affordable $294.95 in the 97305.

Has anyone used them? Or have an opinion?

------------------
Any Oregonians out there?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok found this thread, wasnt searching using safelite
thread

And this one

[This message has been edited by Oregon88 (edited 07-24-2016).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe Safelite is Franchise operating, Same way Maaco and Aamco.
You would need to find data on the local Franchise(s).

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used them on several occasions and at different locations and have been pleased with the results. As was mentioned, they are franchised, so YMMV.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buyer beware with Safelite, in order to get a quality windshield you must specify PPG, LOF or another American made windshield, otherwise you can end up with poor quality wavy Made in China glass. Word to the wise, inspect thoroughly before Safelite replaces the glass. We had one guy on this forum a few years back that sent back two Safelite windshields before he got one of satisfactory quality. Like everything else made in Communist China the quality will vary widely.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol thanks so much for the feedback guys
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a schedule Monday! Will post updates.
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had mine replaced by them. Make sure they use the correct sealer the Fiero windshield is a structural part of the car. This does not use the same adhesive as a steel body car. The first one that was installed in my car was put in with the wrong sealer. After 3 months it started to leak by the mirror and caused a hairline crack at the top of one A pillar. They replaced the windshield for free using the correct sealer the second time.

The second installer identified the use of the wrong sealer as soon as he looked at it. Have had no other problems in 12 years now.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had two of mine done by them over the years, one only a year or so ago. Never had any problems and always been very happy with the work.
I'm just glad you can still get windscreens.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 07-24-2016).]

Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2016 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Packrat:

I had mine replaced by them. Make sure they use the correct sealer the Fiero windshield is a structural part of the car. This does not use the same adhesive as a steel body car. The first one that was installed in my car was put in with the wrong sealer. After 3 months it started to leak by the mirror and caused a hairline crack at the top of one A pillar. They replaced the windshield for free using the correct sealer the second time.

The second installer identified the use of the wrong sealer as soon as he looked at it. Have had no other problems in 12 years now.

Out of curious, what's the name of the correct sealer?
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That the installer did not say and I did not ask. After examining the install that was done both inside and out he just stated it was the wrong bonding compound and why.
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Part Subtotal : 158.00
Labor : 94.94
Subtotal : 252.94
Sales Tax : 9.48
Total Due : 262.42

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Packrat:

Most new cars today use the windshield as a structural part of the car today. The common sellers address this. Odds are it was the installers error.

Their glass for the most that I have ever seen is no better or worse than anyone else's. Now the work done can vary based on the local franchise and even the specific installer.

My Malibu needed a new windshield and I had Safelite do it. After a month the seal the glass has attached to it in a 08 Bu was coming lose. They were just going to glue it down vs replacing it as it should be. I told them I want it fixed right so they got a new glass and installed it as that was the only way to fix it. I told them it may have been an 08 but it only had 18K miles and I was going to own it for a long time so I wanted it right.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had 2 windshields replaced by Safelite, but neither was a Fiero. '08 Silverado and 2013 Dodge Dart. Affordable and no problems except the first Dodge windshield they brought out had the wrong interface for some kind of antenna--returned next morning with the right one--they did both in my driveway

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock