OEM-look windshields? by lorennerol
Started on: 03-26-2015 11:53 AM
Replies: 10 (574 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 03-29-2015 11:24 AM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need a windshield and would like to get a new one that is as close as possible in appearance to OEM.

I know nothing about who makes them, how difficult they are to find, or which one is the best OEM match. Any advice appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what you mean exactly about OEM look. Windshields are made to meet FMVSS regulations.

Does Safelite (or other local windshield repair/replacement company) not have glass that fits the Fiero?
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had 3 Fiero windshields done by Safelite on various Fieros. Very satisfied with all of them.
The first 2 were American made. The 3rd was marked as made in India, but appeared to be good quality as well.
I suggest the new , (wider), rubber molding as, in my experience, it seals better and personally I think it looks better than old narrow rubber.
In fact I'm not certain you can even get the old original narrow windshield molding anymore, although you might check with TFS.

------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-26-2015).]

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is at the body shop, so I can't easily look at it, but I think it has a darkened area along the top edge and, unless I'm misremembering, I'd like to replace it with one that also has that.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

The car is at the body shop, so I can't easily look at it, but I think it has a darkened area along the top edge and, unless I'm misremembering, I'd like to replace it with one that also has that.

I neglected to mention that when you order from Safelite simply specify that you want "dark top tint" and what you described is what you should get.

------------------

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was look for. Thank you!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always get Safelite glass for any cars Im working on. On Fieros, I agree with Randye about the wider molding. Looks much better to me and covers that crappy gap around the window that holds water and rots out the roof.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can third vote on Safelite. No more tint strip that has turned green faded from the sun. Now a nice black tint stripe. And a very nice clear piece of glass with no more tiny scratches and chips. I was very surprised at the difference in view. IIRC I paid around $250 or so installed. This was a few years ago though.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to chop the windshield on my roadster. As low as I can get away with. I plan to try the sandblasting method because I have a sandblaster. Any opinion on whether I should buy a new windshield or try to get one out of pull and save for this experimental cutting?
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

I can third vote on Safelite. No more tint strip that has turned green faded from the sun. Now a nice black tint stripe. And a very nice clear piece of glass with no more tiny scratches and chips. I was very surprised at the difference in view. IIRC I paid around $250 or so installed. This was a few years ago though.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on whether your Fiero was a "high end" model or a "low end" model, your OEM windshield will be different. The original windshield on my 88 coupe (low end) was non-tented glass, with a very little bit of amber darkening at the top. My 86 SE on the other hand (high end) had a tinted windshield with a larger bluish darkened area at the top.
Both cars have nice replacement windshields on them now, both tinted, with larger darkened areas at the top. So the coupe no longer looks "OEM", but the SE does.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock