v8 archie by fpinto
Started on: 04-20-2016 01:55 PM
Replies: 14 (1274 views)
Last post by: pdemondo on 04-27-2016 03:00 PM
fpinto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fpintoSend a Private Message to fpintoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if V8 archie is still in the business at all. I am thinking about getting one of his 4 core radiators for my v8. I have heard nothing but good things about using them
Thank you
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He is still in business in Las Vegas. I have a 4 core in my car and it's definitely a nice radiator.
fpinto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fpintoSend a Private Message to fpintoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still dont get all these huge radiators. Corvette radiator is almost identical to Fiero . I had both on the floor in front of me at once replacing them. Theyre both 2 rows. Worked fine on 383 Corvette engine in my Fiero, and the L-98s in both my Corvettes.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I still dont get all these huge radiators. Corvette radiator is almost identical to Fiero . I had both on the floor in front of me at once replacing them. Theyre both 2 rows. Worked fine on 383 Corvette engine in my Fiero, and the L-98s in both my Corvettes.

But it's not all shiny and welded aha

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I still dont get all these huge radiators. ....

At least three things in life you can never had too much... money, closet space and cooling in a Fiero. You live in nice and temperate Ohio. Try driving a V8 Fiero in Houston rush hour traffic when it's over a hundred degrees and the a/c is working overtime. You might want a little more than the Fiero radiator.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-20-2016).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

At least three things in life you can never had too much... money, closet space and cooling in a Fiero.

Agreed. But increased AIR FLOW cfm thru the core will benefit more than increased volume of coolant in the core.
A better fan for more air flow and getting the fan going before the cooling system hits 235F helps a lot.

When sitting still (no natural air flow) thermostat will be completely open at 195F, coolant will circulate continuously and
everything including coolant in radiator will rise to 235F before fan's stock switch kicks it on.
Since the thermostat is wide open, it is the fan and switch controlling engine temp now and only as cool as switch will allow.

An easy fix is to change fan temp switch to a 210F/200F keep coolant in radiator closer to the engine thermostat temp.

In extreme cases with a swapped "hot" engine, it may be better to have the temp controller for the fan on the radiator outlet.
Some cars do this so coolant temp in radiator can be kept at or just below engine temp more consistently.

Below is pic of BMW temp switch on radiator outlet.
ECM uses this reading to control radiator fan.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-22-2016).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with airflow over number of cores. I did a lot of research, and found that a 2 core radiator, with 1" cores, actually cools better than a 4 row with 1/2" or 3/8" cores, because it will allow more airflow over the coils. I installed a 2 row American Eagle ( champion made) in both my El Camino and my Fiero. They both do an excellent job of cooling here in Vegas ( 115+ OAT with AC on), even with a stock Fiero Fan. Note that some 2 row radiators will actually have a 1" core and a 1/2" core. It is better to find one with two 1" cores.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

I agree with airflow over number of cores. I did a lot of research, and found that a 2 core radiator, with 1" cores, actually cools better than a 4 row with 1/2" or 3/8" cores, because it will allow more airflow over the coils. I installed a 2 row American Eagle ( champion made) in both my El Camino and my Fiero. They both do an excellent job of cooling here in Vegas ( 115+ OAT with AC on), even with a stock Fiero Fan. Note that some 2 row radiators will actually have a 1" core and a 1/2" core. It is better to find one with two 1" cores.

I had a 350 V8 Chev Monza Spyder. I never had cooling problems, but the radiator had sprung a leak.
I decided to go with a radiator with more rows thinking it would be even better for cooling. WRONG!

The car had an engine mounted fan (not electric), so I now had insufficient airflow at low engine speeds for the increased volume of hot coolant.
Worked OK when movement forced air through the radiator, but it was hell in stop-n-go traffic.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-22-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is the rad is angles and once the air is behind it, it has no where to go,, heat rises and when in traffic.. there is no airflow under the car to pull the hot air out..
hood vents fix this more than more rows in the heat exchanger.
The 2nd gen t/a's in traffic under hood temp is 25-30* lower than the firebird that didn't have the fender extractors.. in traffic..
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that a hood vent is very helpful more than anything.

And if you review my scenario about being in 100F heat the A/C is on which makes the fan switch irrelevant. The Fan is already running.
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHen i built mine i had a friend in a radiator shop. Swore to me up and down he could build me a custom 3 core that would cool better than any 4 core. And cheaper.
I had hood vents and a constant running fan. and electric water pump.

After a week in the car i ordered archies 4 core.
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The other thing that helps with cooling is a trunk vent. I added a trunk vent to my 4.9-powered Fiero, somewhat like the mustang vent, and the
car runs much cooler. It runs cooler when the car is moving, doesn't help when at a traffic light.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock