How the Fiero convertable works! by zzzhuh
Started on: 02-22-2016 08:19 PM
Replies: 14 (801 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 02-10-2017 09:39 AM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stumbled across this video.

The video is written in a foreign language, but cool to see if you've never seen it before. The video seems to have been recorded in 94' and the GT has the 'rare' trunk lid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyQdBbwDz0M

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be an Automoda top.
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like an automoda kit, the best one.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To the OP, You do realize there was never a factory Fiero Convertible, right? These were all prototypes or aftermarket.

1988 - GM, "The 2 seater market is saturated" Kills the Fiero

1989 - Mazda - "Introduces the Miata" Goes on to be the most popular 2 seater in history.

GM could have beat Mazda to the punch but we all know that didn't happen.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-22-2016).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

To the OP, You do realize there was never a factory Fiero Convertible, right? These were all prototypes or aftermarket.

Yes, I am aware of that.

I agree tho, GM could of not only beaten Mazda, but been what the Miata is.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Yes, I am aware of that.

No, No, No, there is a certain "type" of people who drive Miatas, I am glad Fieros DON'T have that image.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My question after seeing the video, what happens with the seatbelts? They're obviously not in the pillars anymore.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

My question after seeing the video, what happens with the seatbelts? They're obviously not in the pillars anymore.

In my convertible, I mounted the shoulder harness to the re-enforced firewall. This was also done on a Automoda kit a friend owned.

In my conversion (Holland Pontiac), it only came with a lap belt. I am not sure how that passed for "legal" when cars were sold at a dealer. That would be by-passing a safety device, but that was back in the 80s
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Different car... Miata was a throwback to a sports car, similar to an MG... small, nimble, roadster looking, but very reliable.

the Fiero was not designed to be convertible. The structure would needed more weight to strengthen. I owned all types of Fieros, inlcuding t-top and convertible. The miata is a different car, more for the masses.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

No, No, No, there is a certain "type" of people who drive Miatas, I am glad Fieros DON'T have that image.

True, but the MX-5 is driven by cool people, lol

The volume on the Miata was never that great from year to year, like 10K - 20K units, it just lasted for a long time is how it got that "most popular of all time" title. If (and I know this isn't true) the Fiero could have been profitable at those numbers it could have lived on as well. Saying the Miata was for the masses is a little disingenuous, since it never sold in big numbers and had a lot of compromises as well.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love that conversion ..... must be why I have one the video poster writes this in his post "Fiero cabrio, the convertible conversion was a private development, also this is tested at the RDW in Lelystad and has a type approval, there are about 20 built I did this with my brother "

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 02-23-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the Automoda top and its probably the most leak free design. The Califormia Convertible kit looks a bit better to my eyes as it mimics a a full size factory convertible top design

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2017 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Yeah... Hang on to that fantasy, if it works for you. (Wishful thinking? )
But how many other cars have their own freakin' class in SCCA.
The Miata is constantly at - or very near - the top of just about every magazine's list of "best driver's cars". Usually right behind a Corvette or Porsche, if not at the top.

In reality, I've actually known more of "that type" who drive Fieros, as opposed to Miatas. Seriously. But then, I don't stereotype, or care, really.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For petes sake, just say it...Miatas are stereotyped as a 'gay guys' car. They may have their own SCCA class but that dont mean anything. There are gay bars and gay everything else. I have gay friends. That doesnt change the fact a lot of people call it a gay car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock