Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Ram that big motor in your fiero !!! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ram that big motor in your fiero !!! by bigblockfieropacecar
Started on: 01-22-2016 10:59 AM
Replies: 47 (1573 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 02-20-2016 09:30 AM
bigblockfieropacecar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard it said by some people not to put in any engine bigger then a V-6 because there is no room for an efficient exhaust system. you won't realize any horsepower improvement anyway.
The Internet can be very misleading - - -

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bigger is better.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[url=]http://bangshift.com/general-news/videos/does-bashing-in-your-headers-really-hurt-power-engine-masters-tests-out-the-theory/[/url]
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's see if this other link works

http://bangshift.com/genera...ests-out-the-theory/
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bigblockfieropacecar

90 posts
Member since Apr 2014

bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bigblockfieropacecar

90 posts
Member since Apr 2014

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fits just fine. Exhaust dumps down and out the sides.

Super fun to drive. Very noticeable increase in performance. Going around corners is still better than a first gen mr2 but getting worse due to my aging suspension components - not the extra weight.

I love the 350 swap but a supercharged 3800 is still my favorite.

[This message has been edited by Chris Hodson (edited 01-22-2016).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bigblockfieropacecar:

I have heard it said by some people not to put in any engine bigger then a V-6 because there is no room for an efficient exhaust system. you won't realize any horsepower improvement anyway.

Those people just don't know what the hell they are talking about. And that' all I've got to say about that.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL!

I like your user name. I'd like to see pics of your Fiero that matches it.

Yeah, people and the internet can be soooooooo funny.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My thoughts on this subject...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000066-7.html#p240
PFF
System Bot
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the photos you guys, all that power and even without any power adders.
Just imagine all that untapped potential.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bigblockfieropacecar

90 posts
Member since Apr 2014
I am currently building a try-wy exhaust that I am hoping will look as nice as that last photo. I am about halfway finished and my pipes have no dents, in fact I even pounded a 1 3/4" steel ball through each pipe as I completed each portion.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bigblockfieropacecar

90 posts
Member since Apr 2014
I am currently building a try-wy exhaust that I am hoping will look as nice as that last photo. I am about halfway finished and my pipes have no dents, in fact I even pounded a 1 3/4" steel ball through each pipe as I completed each portion.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Hodson:

Fits just fine. Exhaust dumps down and out the sides.
http://i1014.photobucket.co...amy/082511204853.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.co...amy/090611194257.jpg

Super fun to drive. Very noticeable increase in performance. Going around corners is still better than a first gen mr2 but getting worse due to my aging suspension components - not the extra weight.

I love the 350 swap but a supercharged 3800 is still my favorite.

Hey Chris, do you have a build thread for this?
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good California Kid and Chris Hodson but I LOVE ! And all FIEROS.
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pro street dave

288 posts
Member since Dec 2006
pardon my spelling.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pardon my double posts. ???
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take everything you read on the idiotnet with a grain of salt, the size of my suburban !

People on the Idiotnet think they know everything, and then there are some who think they know everything about cars or things they have never even worked on like a Fiero. it's like those idiotnet reviews of products, they never bought themselves. I only listen to reviews from verified people who are shown to be verified purchasers.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My header dent removal tool that apparently I don't need anymore.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not wish to open up the argument of which engine is best. That is a matter of personal choice and budget..
If you are looking for power and the best performance to date, all I can tell you is that the fastest Fiero on record is that of forum member Scott (Darkhorizon) and he runs the 1/4 mile in the nines. Scott runs a 3800 V6 with a single turbo and an auto trans. His video on the record breaking run is in a post on this forum. What is most remarkable is that the car is his daily driver!!!!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome to the forum. Seems you have a lot to read. The best thing about the Fiero is that you can install a lot of different motors from GM or any other manufacturer. It all depends on how much $$ you want to spend and skills. Search in here and you will find them. From V8s to diesel, rotary, electric all have been done. Personally I think the most enjoyable are those in the 300hp/300lbs range for daily driver. But I have changed and no longer care for a 600hp or 9sec track cars. Pick your poison and if you can afford it then enjoy it

------------------
88 Formula: TPI V8 + 6-Speed
304rwHP/366rwTQ

bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What transmission is dark horizon using? I imagine that his build must be quite expensive, maybe not.
I personally enjoy having a lot of bottom end torque and I also use my car as a daily driver.
My build is extremely reliable and inexpensive however I have broken three chains in my transmission in part because of the horse power delivery through my switch pitch torque converter.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bigblockfieropacecar

90 posts
Member since Apr 2014
What transmission is dark horizon using? I imagine that his build must be quite expensive, maybe not.
I personally enjoy having a lot of bottom end torque and I also use my car as a daily driver.
My build is extremely reliable and inexpensive however I have broken three chains in my transmission in part because of the horse power delivery through my switch pitch torque converter.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First the Fiero was designed to put a V8 in when they designed it, they just never got the OK from the upper management to put one in so it will fit, quite nicely as seen by many of the 350 engines we have on here. they fit just fine.

now working on that engine after you put it in may be a problem but hey it will fit and will work just fine.

When I was a kid in the 60s we used to pull 6 Cylinders out of old Pontiacs, Fords and Chryslers and drop in whatever the biggest engine was we could find and they all ran just fine. Again the Fiero was designed from day one to put a V8 in.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-24-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He has a built 4t65e-HD. The 1" chain isn't available new any more though, but if you aren't running the 7/8" chain, I'd suggest upgrading to that if you're with the 4t65 as well.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

He has a built 4t65e-HD...

What fun is all that power if you have to run it through an auto... but that's just my opinion.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He has a built 4t65e-HD. The 1" chain isn't available new any more though, but if you aren't running the 7/8" chain, I'd suggest upgrading to that if you're with the 4t65 as well.

My chain is like 3 inches wide, the 1 inch chain would be a downgrade.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2016 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My chain is like 3 inches wide, the 1 inch chain would be a downgrade.

I guess you have the 4t40 then? But there's more to strength than size. If you have the 4t40, then you should probably upgrade to a 4t65 or 4t80.

The 1" chain for the 4t65 was a GM Racing part, and was used 1000+ HP Ecotec drag cars on slicks. They were almost certainly making more torque than you are, and with greater shock loading on the parts.

Anyway, you asked what DH is running, and he has a 4t65e-HD that's been built to handle drag racing a Fiero with a 3800 making 900+ lbs-ft. If you want to make big torque and get it to the ground without breaking things, then you need the right parts, and you need to get out of the mentality of "it looks bigger so it must be stronger," because it is not not true.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2016 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by jscott1:
What fun is all that power if you have to run it through an auto... but that's just my opinion.

It's built for drag racing, not road racing. If you drag race a car all the time, an auto really is the better option.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess you have the 4t40 then? But there's more to strength than size. If you have the 4t40, then you should probably upgrade to a 4t65 or 4t80.

The 1" chain for the 4t65 was a GM Racing part, and was used 1000+ HP Ecotec drag cars on slicks. They were almost certainly making more torque than you are, and with greater shock loading on the parts.

Anyway, you asked what DH is running, and he has a 4t65e-HD that's been built to handle drag racing a Fiero with a 3800 making 900+ lbs-ft. If you want to make big torque and get it to the ground without breaking things, then you need the right parts, and you need to get out of the mentality of "it looks bigger so it must be stronger," because it is not not true.

So now I have done some digging around in these forums.
The thread "from fiero to umbrella"
The fastest Fiero is not dark horizon but rather fog from Finland
He ran a 9.7 but has enough power to be well into the 8's.
He has never broken this chain, same as mine.
So do you think that fog and I should switch to a 1 inch chain?
Like the 4t65 has???

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2016 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So now I have done some digging around in these forums.
The thread "from fiero to umbrella"
The fastest Fiero is not dark horizon but rather fog from Finland
He ran a 9.7 but has enough power to be well into the 8's.
He has never broken this chain, same as mine.
So do you think that fog and I should switch to a 1 inch chain?
Like the 4t65 has???

What transmission are you using? Are you using the Tornado 325/425 trans? Or are you using the 4t60? So far, all I know is that you have a chain that you claim you break a lot. The stresses on the 325/425 which is longitudinal are very different from the stresses on a transverse setup like the 4t60/4t65/etc…

You asked what DH was running. I told you. The 1" chain isn't even available new any more. If you have the Tornado trans and keep breaking chains, then I guess you need to buy hardened chains or a different torque converter, or find out why else you are breaking chains. If Fog isn't breaking chains, I guess ask why he isn't. I don't know. I'm just telling you what DH is using, because I know, and you asked.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What transmission are you using?

I am fairly confident "bigblockfieropacecar" is previous member "big block fiero" who had a 500 caddy with 425 longitudinal FWD transmission in an 84 pace car and lived in Minneapolis, MN. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-062869.html

Before his departure, he was working on a low tech cylinder deactivation (his avatar pic), I would be curious how that ended up.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I am fairly confident "bigblockfieropacecar" is previous member "big block fiero" who had a 500 caddy with 425 longitudinal FWD transmission in an 84 pace car and lived in Minneapolis, MN. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-062869.html

Before his departure, he was working on a low tech cylinder deactivation (his avatar pic), I would be curious how that ended up.

That was very successful, I won the Internet challenge that had been in five different forums since the early 1980s. (The first to complete a cylinder deactivation system on the 500 caddy.)
That subject many thought easy to achieve but mine was the only one that ever succeeded. The secret was the relief bumps on the Cam base circles.
That progressed into a Bolt on kit for the small block Chevy but died out for lack of interest.

Over the last 10 years I have never stopped designing, building, and wrenching as I'm sure most of you haven't either.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2016 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now you can fill all the vertical space.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's built for drag racing, not road racing. If you drag race a car all the time, an auto really is the better option.

I suppose you are right. But I never understood the appeal of drag racing either. Given enough power any level of acceleration is possible. By the time I finished 12 grade physics I was sufficiently convinced that F = Ma was correct and I didn't feel the need to prove it on a drag strip, but that's just my opinion.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suppose you are right. But I never understood the appeal of drag racing either. Given enough power any level of acceleration is possible. By the time I finished 12 grade physics I was sufficiently convinced that F = Ma was correct and I didn't feel the need to prove it on a drag strip, but that's just my opinion.

And there in lies the problem.

2 cars "drag" racing each other was the first form of racing and will always be king.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2016 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't need to have sex to know how babies are made, but it doesn't mean the act itself can't be pleasurable.

Yes, we all know F=Ma well. But there's a whole lot more to the act than that simple formula, just like there is a lot more to having a baby, than simply having sex.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't need to have sex to know how babies are made, but it doesn't mean the act itself can't be pleasurable.

Yes, we all know F=Ma well. But there's a whole lot more to the act than that simple formula, just like there is a lot more to having a baby, than simply having sex.

LOL!

Comparing speed to sex....

Uh..... I got nothin'.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's funny how people think the handling is terrible having a big motor in the back.
I typically have been leaving my trunk lid removed which takes some weight off the back however
I recently I was chasing a newish Camaro around several cloverleaves and turns and at considerable
Speed. The guy found it useless to try to get away from me, I was easily glued to the back of his
Bumper the whole time. I don't know how good of a driver he was but the point is the handling is better
Than a regular car.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock