building a big block fiero by big block fiero
Started on: 12-02-2006 02:47 AM
Replies: 172
Last post by: big block fiero on 12-13-2007 02:36 AM
big block fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2006 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
Ive gotten several P.M's that I hope to answer here. Most anyone can build a big block fiero in about two months and under a thousand bucks with the help of this forum and I will do anything to help.Matt kneen 612-521-1110 or after 5pm 612-226-7871. Mine is an original 1984 indy pacecar that has been a daily driver since 2001. it looks totally stock inside and out with no scoop or hole in the trunklid, exhaust tips are stock in the stock location, It has a receiver hitch welded into the cradle that disguises the frame section to look like a commercially available hitch. I use this car to pull my tow dolly, I tow cars with it at least twice a month, pulled a 81 nine passenger wagon from Duluth to Minneapolis, A 71 toronado from Alexandria to Minneapolis, a 95 E350 from cottage grove to Minneapolis , etc. I find that troopers let me go after I show them my build sheet. This car is street and drag raced every weekend throughout the summer.

Frequently asked questions are: does it overheat------ no, not even on the hottest days, even though the radiator is stock to the four cylinder motor that came in this 1984 indy pace car.The remote inline radiator cap is the highest point of the cooling system ,,just one inch below the trunk lid, the overflow tank port from this is run all the way to the front of the car to the stock overflow tank.

How does it handle------ better than a early 70,s camero with a big block, since I put solid bushings in the cradle mounts.

My intention was to make this in such a way that others could follow my build without unnecessary steps or obstacles that could discourage them and kill the project.You may think Ive underdesigned something but I have beat this car every day and it just asks for more.

Rear struts are stock with chevy alumina van springs that have about one coil cut off. You can swap the passenger and driver side struts to alter the tie-rod end locations or leave them were they are.My rear sway bar came from the fiero store and is a necessary inclusion. I would like to know where to get a swaybar that's a little stronger.The car over-steered a bit so I removed the front swaybar, now it handles about the same with less weight and better weight transfer on launch.

The control arms have solid bushings with sheet steel welded across the open side of the arms to box them in. The ball joint shaft has a divot for the cross bolt to go to secure the spindle. I elongated the divot so the ball joint could be pushed farther upward prior to locking the bolt.This put the ball joint axis closer to the wheel bearing axis thus reducing some launch loads to the strut and tie-rods etc. The car didn't get second gear rubber until I did this which shows there is considerable movement in the assembly during a gear change. All fieros could benefit from this mod.

Much of the cradle is stock. A crossmember was welded in place directly under the BB motor mounts.The crossmember for the tranny is more of a u-shape but with 90 degree corners. It extends rearward of the existing cradle. From the back it looks like a trailer hitch so I made it one and put a "ridged hitch" sticker on it. After welding in the motor and tranny crossmembers I was then able to cut out the (now unnecessary and in the way) stock crossmembers without losing any stock reference points. I put solid (darell morse) bushings in the front cradle mounts and cut thick aluminum tubing to length for the rear mounts which I have changed length a few times to adjust ground clearance VS decklid clearance. The install is better if the engine is somewhat tilted forward because this will lift the tranny and allow more ground clearance. The eldo / toro side of the axle knuckles should be about 1/4" above the stock longitudinal cradle frame rails. Just enough that they don't scrape during rotation even with rubber motor mounts.

I used the grand am brakes all around because I wanted to keep the 14" pacecar rims to look stock. Anyone with 14" rim, brake upgrades beyond what Ive got please let me know.

Mine is not a reverse rotation because I knew I was going to hammer on it, didn't want it to break by pushing the ring gear backward, didn't want the diff upsidedown for the lube to flow heavily into the gears creating trap speed reducing drag.Im not convinced the weight bias issue is so bad. For whatever slight extra tail weight Ive got only helps launch the car better,

simple reverse rotation to me involves, NOT making an upsidedown diff adaptor plate and then fabricating an oil pan (resulting in extra drag from the fluid in the gears), but rather using a turbo 400 drum and planetary set and wile your at it get the six clutch drum.The gears are cross cut the other way on the rear wheel drive tranny and will reverse your rotation.flip the intermediate sprag over so it clutches the drum the other direction. Let me know if the ring gear will break on spray or whatever, If it works out I may try turning my olds 455 fiero around to see if it handles any better.If you have the 325 tranny I dont know if you can take the th350 parts to turn it around or not.

I used the 425 tranny because a shift kit is available from transgo, It can be setup for the variable pitch torque converter, and in history it has handled over 1,000 H.P. Motor home trannys have six clutches per drum but if you want to upgrade yours to 6, get the the aluminum apply pistons from a late model th400 and with some minor machining 6 will fit.The switch pitch torque converter allows the tranny to be driven like a six speed and was an option in the 66-67 toronado and 67 eldorado. Very hard to find but very cool. A toggle switch changes the converter from stock to high stall speed. I run the steeper 273 gears (24" tire or bigger) and the freeway cruise is real nice with the converter tight. When racing, my method is to stall the converter, launch the car then halfway through first slam the converter into stock stall speed, hit second, hit third and finish with a better trap speed because there's less slippage in the converter with lower fluid temps.13" variable pitch converters are great but the 12" ones are even better, lighter, and more stall potential (I've got a 13" for sale). The 12" was found in the super turbine 300 and in one out of 12 switch pitch 400's. I had my 12" rebuilt and modified for $200 at midwest converter in mpls.

The differential I use has the 273 gears. 321 geared differentials are available (I have one for sale) but only came with the rare switch pitch option. There are a couple of big circular cast ears on the diff that I cut off for weight savings,dont cut off the provision for the axle support brace bolt in the process. I have seen the drivers side axle flange loose were it exits the diff. I refurbished mine to prevent any vibration but even when loose I didn't notice a shake at 120 mph.

The axles are fiero outers welded to cadillac inners. you can v-out the shafts for better weld penetration or sleeve the shafts together. The weld takes the hardening out of the shafts so the fiero side would normally break near the weld. The solution is to run a lengthwise weld bead crossing over your connecting weld bead, a total length of about 3" then quickly quench it in oil. Rotate the shaft a third revolution and make another three inch pass then quench it in oil. Rotate a third, quench it in oil, rotate a third and now weld over the top of your first 3" weld bead and quench it in oil. keep going Over and over again constantly thickening all your 3" passes. The idea is that the quenching is hardening some material and cooling the overall assembly. Realize that the material between the 3" passes is still hardened and we don't want this to overheat because this is giving strength that transfers out along the shaft like a lovejoy coupling. If you don't get the axle perfectly strait so what, the assembly is so short that it wont vibrate, just getter done.I came out of the water at 5000 rpm at grove creek dragstrip and suddenly hooked real hard as I went wide open throttle, the car went strait up and the axle didn't break so it is plenty strong. I broke a few axles per weekend in the VW rabbit pickup (500 motor in the bed) before I devised this procedure then it twisted off the axle in the wheel flange, and the next time it flowered the C.V. joint bell. The weld and surrounding area never broke.

My exhaust is just two round glasspacks longetudinally above the tranny, side by side, such that the flow is exiting out the tips on the opposite side of the car from the bank that it originated from. I may change this to A grand national muffler that has two inlets and two outlets but I have to see one first. I found that my trunk lid got very hot but after I put A heat shield over the exhaust it was actually fairly cool.

more on this later, I will edit/ add to this post and insert information at the bottom or between paragraphs.It may take a week to finish this.

[This message has been edited by big block fiero (edited 01-15-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by big block fiero:

I tow cars with it at least twice a month, pulled a 81 nine passenger wagon from duluth to minneapolis, A 71 toronado from alexandrea to minneapolis, a 95 E350 from cottage grove to minneapolis , ect. I find that troopers let me go after I show them my build sheet.

I used the grand am brakes all around because I wanted to keep the 14" pacecar rims to look stock. Anyone with 14" rim, brake upgrades beyond what Ive got please let me know.

You really tow 1-ton vans with Grand Am brakes?? You're gonna need to cough up some video of that.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Can you post some pictures? If PIP is giving you problems, you can email them to me and I'll post them for you.

Thanks!

------------------
Paul

Pontiac prestiege.... Pontiac performance...... Pontiac POWER!
For a full history of the Fiero SS: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Can't be. Is that really you ?
Car sure sounds familiar, the build, the description of the car.
Hang out out at Porky's, by any chance ?

Welcome to a whole other level when it comes to our favorite cars.
Our cars on Pennocks.

Tina

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Is this the Indy with the 500 Caddy??

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

You really tow 1-ton vans with Grand Am brakes?? You're gonna need to cough up some video of that.

You guys need to see all the in the 3800 1/4 miles times.

The smoke is really thick.

Originally posted by R Runner:

Can you post some pictures? If PIP is giving you problems, you can email them to me and I'll post them for you.

Thanks!

I dont think you want that..................................

Originally posted by Tina:

Can't be. Is that really you ?
Car sure sounds familiar, the build, the description of the car.
Hang out out at Porky's, by any chance ?

Welcome to a whole other level when it comes to our favorite cars.
Our cars on Pennocks.
Tina

How unfortunate eh.................................another troll.

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Is this the Indy with the 500 Caddy??

In the leaking flesh.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

PURPLE REIGN

4080 posts
Member since Sep 2002

A 71 toronado from alexandrea to minneapolis, a 95 E350 from cottage grove to minneapolis , ect. I find that troopers let me go after I show them my build sheet.
Yep cause they figure this POS will crash & burn the next turn instead of wasting the taxpayers money to impound the thing & destroy it due to unworthinessof the road.

Originally posted by big block fiero: This car is street and drag raced every weekend throughout the summer.
Sorry ................racing the bicycles on the sidewalk doesnt count

Frequently asked questions are: does it overheat------ no, not even on the hottest days, even though the radiator is stock to the four cylinder motor that came in this 1984 indy pace car.The remote inline radiator cap is the highest point of the cooling system ,,just one inch below the trunk lid, the overflow tank port from this is run all the way to the front of the car to the stock overflow tank.

Yep..................cause it leaks so bad & adds fluid so often it doesnt get a chance to overheat.

How does it handle------ better than a early 70,s camero with a big block, since I put solid bushings on the cradle mounts.

Like a POS early 70's Camaro

My intention was to make this in such a way that others could follow my build without unnecessary steps or obsticles that could discourage them and kill the project.You may think Ive underdesigned something but I have beat this car every day and it just asks for more.

Yeh .....................like "PLEASE put me out of my misery"

Rear struts are stock with chevy alumina van springs that have about one coil cut off. You can swap the passenger and driver side struts to alter the tierod end locations or leave them were they are.

Still can't spell throughout the entire post.

Because that's all you need for that slow, clapped out, leaking tanker.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:
Like a POS early 70's Camaro

HEY! Now you're going toooooooooo far! I own a "POS" 1977 Camaro... and yes it's true that I'm in the process of selling it for another Fiero, so please at least wait until it's sold to express these sentiments!

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/car/237593999.html
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

HEY! Now you're going toooooooooo far! I own a "POS" 1977 Camaro... and yes it's true that I'm in the process of selling it for another Fiero, so please at least wait until it's sold to express these sentiments!

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/car/237593999.html

O.K.

I'm just quoting what he said.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Lets wait and see the pics before we give this guy too much crap.
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2006 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
This is the kind of reaction that fiero owners get from non fiero owners and the general public about all fieros in general. Exaggerated storys of fires and misconceptions (spell check last word please "purple reign") about the cars being junk and a death trap in an accident, Yet this wonderfull little car is of greater intrest than just about any across the country.

If you build a big block fiero you may, as in this case, feel this same kind of hate from other fiero owners who chose to run a S.C. 3800 or whatever subcategory (sclw purple) they belong to.

Yes this is the pace car with the 500 caddy motor. I have another with an olds 455.

[This message has been edited by big block fiero (edited 12-02-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
4-mulaGT
From: Somewhere beetween raisin' hell... and saving grace. oh... and MN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
OK I dont care im not gonna give you crap

but show us some GODAMn Proof I want to see this!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I want to see I dont care if it shines, I just like to go fast.
John Miller

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John MillerSend a Private Message to John MillerDirect Link to This Post
BIG BLOCK FIERO, I hope your on the up & up. I'm currently building a big block (454 chevy, 71 Eldo transaxel) 84. The engine/trans install seems straight forward, what did you do for axels? I've seen fiero axels welded to the eldo hubs, however this seems to present a large weak link. I have pics of the engine/trans assembly, however no idea how to post. Later, John
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2006 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

I cant say it stopped well but the downshift on the 425 tranny really helps.I had lots of pictures on my phone (the toronado tow, the nine passenger wagon, buick grandnational, and even a 68 charger with a 426 hemi) but I got a new phone and borrowed the old one to a friend. I'll see if he hasn't erased the pictures.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by PURPLE REIGN (edited 12-03-2006).]

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
John Miller,
Use the stock Caddy axles. Switch the rear knuckles & hubs to early 90's cutlass. Bigger hub bearing, but bolt pattern goes up to 115. You loose the parking brake, but get slightly bigger brakes, @ grand am size.

No need to cut & weld the axles.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post

opm2000

1347 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Big Block Fiero,
I don't have a 3800 burr up my whatever.

But look, the reversed 425/325 install has been the "holy grail" of anyone who likes these trans. You have elluded to having done the reversed swap in a way I've never considered.

Or is this just "white sheet" proposal ?

Dosn't matter really, but how about opening up a bit? Pics, details, details.

Pennock's is all about sharing information

David Breeze
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

How unfortunate eh.................................another troll.

In the leaking flesh.

I would say we have a troll indeed, and he appears purple right now in this thread. He shared his knowledge in another thread that you could choose to listen or not. You here are not trying to share any usefull information in this thread. So yes "another troll" appears. I would like to listen and maybe learn something new here in this thread.

What about spelling mis-steaks, we are on a kar phorum not english furum! I hope I am never gudged by my tie-ping and speling kus I would fail.

ANyways. about picture posting, there is many places to post pictures, I use www.photobucket.com and then cut and past the bottem IMG link in your post.

Pete

------------------

big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2006 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by opm2000:

John Miller,
Use the stock Caddy axles. Switch the rear knuckles & hubs to early 90's cutlass. Bigger hub bearing, but bolt pattern goes up to 115. You loose the parking brake, but get slightly bigger brakes, @ grand am size.

No need to cut & weld the axles.

David Breeze

I very much appreciate this info but do you know how I can retain the stock bolt pattern. If so then if I ever break an axle I'll try it your way. I'm going to try my scanner / fax machine and e-mail pictures to R RUNNER today.QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by big block fiero (edited 12-03-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post

Wow I just don't understand why there is so much hatred flying around whenever someone tries something different. Someone tries something different and just because they are new and don't have pictures, immediately the bs flags start flying and the name calling starts. Can't we all just get along . Seriously give the guy a break he's new to the forum let him get his bearings, let him get settled in and give him a chance. I'm sure there will be pics.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:
I would say we have a troll indeed, and he appears purple right now in this thread. He shared his knowledge in another thread that you could choose to listen or not. You here are not trying to share any usefull information in this thread. So yes "another troll" appears. I would like to listen and maybe learn something new here in this thread.

What about spelling mis-steaks, we are on a kar phorum not english furum! I hope I am never gudged by my tie-ping and speling kus I would fail.

ANyways. about picture posting, there is many places to post pictures, I use www.photobucket.com and then cut and past the bottem IMG link in your post.

Pete

Originally posted by fieroluv:

Wow I just don't understand why there is so much hatred flying around whenever someone tries something different. Someone tries something different and just because they are new and don't have pictures, immediately the bs flags start flying and the name calling starts. Can't we all just get along . Seriously give the guy a break he's new to the forum let him get his bearings, let him get settled in and give him a chance. I'm sure there will be pics.

You 2 just dont understand the local redneck's in this town.

I've already seen this "something different" and MANY pics of the build. So until you have ........relax.

I very much appreciate this info but do you know how I can retain the stock bolt pattern. If so then if I ever break an axle I'll try it your way. I'm going to try my scanner / fax machine and e-mail pictures to R RUNNER today.

On a side note, if someone suggest's using stock axles. Try swapping the outer end tulip and or cage & balls that works with the Fiero hub. That's how we got it to work on the 4T65E H.D. ....................Buick axle with a Fiero joint housing on the end.
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2006 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
If I understand this correctly, I begin with the axle suggestion of OPM2000 but finish with the advice of purple reign of swapping out the outer knuckle to retain the stock flange and bolt spacing? Does it fit? If mine ever breaks or for the new builders this needs varification.

[This message has been edited by big block fiero (edited 12-03-2006).]

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

If I understand this correctly, I begin with the axle suggestion of OPM2000 but finish with the advice of purple reign of swapping out the outer knuckle to retain the stock flange and bolt spacing? Does it fit? If mine ever breaks or for the new builders this needs varification.

That's where experimenting comes in ( which is what I did ) see if the cage your currently using will fit on the shaft of the stock axle. Worst case senario the splines in your current cage will be a little small, so you can bring the cage in with the stock shaft & have the shaft resplined.
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2006 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
I beleve I need a different e-mail address to send picks. That one r-runner posted must not be his own or this dam machine is schooling me. Im not to good with computors or electronic stuff, I still cant post the pictures off my phone.
Porsche928DRP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Porsche928DRPClick Here to visit Porsche928DRP's HomePageSend a Private Message to Porsche928DRPDirect Link to This Post
Looking for pics; [Here is a direct link to pics of Matt's build. [img=http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/64/164/2/15/18/2549215180044165742HCqBCG_th.jpg] He was trying to prove that you could build an 11 sec. or better car on a budget. Which he did, and he has done many improvements since then. He hangs great wheelies off of the line, but I don't have any pics of them.

------------------
Lincoln Mark VIIISC 450+HP
Porsche 928SC 500+HP
Mercedes Benz SL600 500+HP
OCC Custom Chopper 175+HP 180+TQ
I won't drive anything that is SLOW.

[This message has been edited by Porsche928DRP (edited 12-03-2006).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Come on, PURPLE REIGN, there has been no flaming or arguing in this thread and you're coming in here with a chip on your shoulder because you don't like bbf.
Fair enough, but so far, in this thread at least, he's been civil. Let's give him the chance to show us what he's done for the benefit of the people who don't know him yet.

Let's not turn this into an RFT septic tank by yelling about who's GHEY and starting a catfight.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion and you've let us know you think he's full of BS. That's fine. So we know to take whatever he says with a grain of salt until we see proof. No need to add post after post after post attacking him. You've made your point.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

I beleve I need a different e-mail address to send picks. That one r-runner posted must not be his own or this dam machine is schooling me. Im not to good with computors or electronic stuff, I still cant post the pictures off my phone.

Feel free to email me any pics you want posted and I'll post them for you.
NSAN1T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NSAN1TSend a Private Message to NSAN1TDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see pics of a caddy 500 in a Indy.. I put one in an 87SC, (but never fully finished it. )and that was awesome, but an indy.. sweeeet.. I did the same thing, for as not needing to modify the outside of the decklid.. used a lowpro air cleaner that I had to reshape a bit.. and notched the underside of the deck.. we flipped the gears though.. and we still had the caddy drive shafts and the hubs, so the wheels stuck out the sides of the fiero... but that was only because the caddy was still being used as my daily driver and could afford to hack the assembly until we were ready for the final swap... I wish I coulda finished that..

Josh

------------------
Fiero, it inspires Insanity...
If you can't find a fire extinguisher, pour Sprite on it

-=Will Work For Fiero's, parts, $$, anything Fiero related=-

flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
wow, i think this thread definatly has the possiblity to turn into another "Whats Going on at Archies," and i think Purple Reign should start to show some respect twards the new pennocks member... this is his first encounter with PFF and from what iv seen in the first little bit of this thread Purle Reign is going to turn Big Block Fiero away and we will never have a chance to hear this amazing story (if he can come up with some evidence to clear our minds).

Tina did you say that you see him at Porkeys in Minneapolis on weekends? that right there could be enought proof to make this guy legitimate... pics would be helpful though. i have definatly heard stories about you BBF if this is you, everyone i talk to about fieros tells me that there is a guy that has a BB in one and is at porkeys all the time. this really sounds like you.

it has ben my dream to build a BB fiero... i was actually going to start one this summer... i want a BB chevy though. this thread could be helpful to any dream chaser, or anyone who wants to drool at a fiero again, lol.

lol, MN has the biggest engines! Tina, Big Block Fiero, the stinger is here now, and me. lol. jk.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13* retard exhaust cam, FFP UDP, much more.
13.93@101mph as it is on the street

355/400hp sbc, 4 bolt main
spec stage 3, and many other extras.
87 GT 5-speed Getrag, power everything.

PFF
System Bot
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
PurpleReign has a good suggestion. I began to try that approach, right after I made up the axles for my 4.9/4t60e. But I have a hard time with those pesky circlips, so I never got to see if a Fiero outer would snap onto the end of a Caddy axle....or as PR suggests, if the outer hub could be swapped onto the ball cage. Most excellent idea, PR

What I'm using works on a 325, and I'd assume with a 325-t and a 425 as well, but I don't know.

Joe Wynman suggested using the stock Caddy axles ( or buick or olds ) that the trans came with. Turns out that they are just the right width for a Fiero cradle. Joe W then specified using the knuckle and bearing from a '91 Cierra, saying all would fit but the bolt pattern changes to 115mm. But here he got it wrong---Cierra used smaller axles and the bearing has the smaller axle spline and hub, with 100mm as well.

A bit of research aith the local salvage yard turned up what I believe was a Cutlass hub and bearing that fit Joe W's descriptions. The Caddy axle splined right into it, the bearing is bigger and stronger, and the knuckle looks just like the Fiero knuckle except it holds a bigger bearing. It fits right up to the cradle, etc.

Not having a parking brake was no problem to me, so I simple used the calipers and rotors for that application, new from NAPA. They look just about like Grand Am brakes & rotors.

Since the cradle was extended, I had to make up a trailing arm tierod, using Heim joints and aluminun rods from Speedway.
I looked into swapping sides with the knuckles, which would locate the arms ahead of the axles, but went back to a trailing position.

Someone loan me their special circlip pliers and I'll gladly try taking a Caddy axle apart

David Breeze
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Here are the pictures big block fiero has sent me to post so far:

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by flames4me:

wow, i think this thread definatly has the possiblity to turn into another "Whats Going on at Archies," and i think Purple Reign should start to show some respect twards the new pennocks member... this is his first encounter with PFF and from what iv seen in the first little bit of this thread Purle Reign is going to turn Big Block Fiero away and we will never have a chance to hear this amazing story (if he can come up with some evidence to clear our minds).

Tina did you say that you see him at Porkeys in Minneapolis on weekends? that right there could be enought proof to make this guy legitimate... pics would be helpful though. i have definatly heard stories about you BBF if this is you, everyone i talk to about fieros tells me that there is a guy that has a BB in one and is at porkeys all the time. this really sounds like you.

it has ben my dream to build a BB fiero... i was actually going to start one this summer... i want a BB chevy though. this thread could be helpful to any dream chaser, or anyone who wants to drool at a fiero again, lol.

lol, MN has the biggest engines! Tina, Big Block Fiero, the stinger is here now, and me. lol. jk.

We all hang out at Porkies quite a bit........................and if you had or go to one of the MOA events you might see it too.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 12-03-2006).]

big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
Very cool but this isn't my car, My picks aren't as pretty but there are a lot of them and a link is being sent to Formula88 later tonight. I believe this is John Miller's build.
RacerX11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacerX11Send a Private Message to RacerX11Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:Joe W then specified using the knuckle and bearing from a '91 Cierra, saying all would fit but the bolt pattern changes to 115mm. But here he got it wrong---Cierra used smaller axles and the bearing has the smaller axle spline and hub, with 100mm as well.

A bit of research aith the local salvage yard turned up what I believe was a Cutlass hub and bearing that fit Joe W's descriptions. The Caddy axle splined right into it, the bearing is bigger and stronger, and the knuckle looks just like the Fiero knuckle except it holds a bigger bearing. It fits right up to the cradle, etc.

David Breeze

Joe was not wrong, he just missed a minor detail. The Ciera was available with two different suspension setups. The standard had 100mm bolt pattern and the smaller axles, while the HD used 115mm bolt pattern, larger axles, and larger brakes. I sourced my 115mm HD parts from an early-90's Ciera.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Very cool but this isn't my car, My picks aren't as pretty but there are a lot of them and a link is being sent to Formula88 later tonight. I believe this is John Miller's build.

Oops. Sorry. Thanks for the clarification.
Don't forget to put your screen name in the email so I know who's pics I'm posting.
Porsche928DRP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Porsche928DRPClick Here to visit Porsche928DRP's HomePageSend a Private Message to Porsche928DRPDirect Link to This Post
repost...
Looking for pics; Here is a direct link to pics of Matt's build. [img=http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/64/164/2/15/18/2549215180044165742HCqBCG_th.jpg] He was trying to prove that you could build an 11 sec. or better car on a budget. Which he did, and he has done many improvements since then. He hangs great wheelies off of the line, but I don't have any pics of them.

[This message has been edited by Porsche928DRP (edited 12-03-2006).]

fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Porsche928DRP:

928? have one or a fan of them? I have a 86.5 928S. pics here. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=317422

------------------
Artero Rebody , 18"s, 91' 350 SBC / Muncie 4spd
85.5 Porsche 944 euro
71 Porsche 911 T Targa * will trade for Bell X1 *
82' Benz 300SD turbo . *for sale*
87' Fiero Cp. candy blue, Chrome 16"s, *will sale*

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page