building a big block fiero by big block fiero
Started on: 12-02-2006 02:47 AM
Replies: 172
Last post by: big block fiero on 12-13-2007 02:36 AM
flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
any update on this car at all? either BBF, or John Miller?

also a bump to keep it from getting archived.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street. FOR SALE - MAKE OFFER!
... ... !
355cid 400hp/tq N/A SBC, 4 bolt main
Nitrous Oxide: 1st stage - 125shot direct port. 2nd stage - 75shot plate.
87 GT, Cryo Treated 5-speed Getrag, Spec Stage 3 clutch.

IP: Logged
rclassic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rclassicSend a Private Message to rclassicDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a 1975 caddy in November with the intension of doing the swap. I have a few questions . First ? bbf's car has the transmission centered on the cradle vs. the engine centered,is there a reason for this other than there would be less modifications to make. I'll be building my car just for in town and maybe a few 1/4 mi.trips , has anyone installed a after market LSD unit / Or would it rip the car in 1/2 LOL!
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2007 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
My axles are the same length just as they are in the caddy, In fact the axle flanges will give you the proper engine placement,ballance, as designed by cadillac for left to right weight symetricality. The engine will at this point be just a little more on the passenger side (1 1/2") and the tranny more on the drivers side altho the axle flanges are then equal to center.

If you put that caddy on LSD it will be trippin man, totaly.

[This message has been edited by big block fiero (edited 12-11-2007).]

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
OK I have several Questions.

1. There never was a true official BIG BLOCK CADDY motor. Are you just calling it a big block cause it is so big?

2. Why do you have to mod the oil pan if you are using the same motor/trans combo? Should not have GM figured that one out already?

3. How did this affect your perception of the handling of the car in Corners?

4. You mentioned an adapter plate, would this be for mounting the Tranny plate to the cradle?

5. Besides Aluminum Intake, are there any other Aluminum parts such as Covers or Heads?
------------------

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 12-11-2007).]

flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

OK I have several Questions.

1. There never was a true official BIG BLOCK CADDY motor. Are you just calling it a big block cause it is so big?

2. Why do you have to mod the oil pan if you are using the same motor/trans combo? Should not have GM figured that one out already?

I might be able to answer a couple of these:

1. I'm not sure how you personally classify a big block from a small block but 500ci is the biggest CID production motor EVER to come in a production car, correct me if I'm wrong but the 2nd largest was 460BB Ford, and 3rd was the 454 BBC. if you dont thing that 500ci is a big block then what is?

2. you are looking at John Millers pics with the BB chevy motor, Big Block Fiero didn't have to do any modifications to his oil pan because it was the same motor that came with that tranny. a BBC will have to have clearancing done to the oil pan to clear the axle.

hope this helps.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street. PFF's fastest N/A 3.4dohc!!!!
FOR SALE - MAKE OFFER!
... ... !
355cid 400hp/tq N/A SBC, 4 bolt main
Nitrous Oxide: 1st stage - 125shot direct port. 2nd stage - 75shot plate.
87 GT, Cryo Treated 5-speed Getrag, Gr8grip LSD, Spec Stage 3 clutch.

The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
I could swear Caddy had both a 500 cid and a 472cid engine back in the early 70's
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:

I could swear Caddy had both a 500 cid and a 472cid engine back in the early 70's

Yes, they did and a 425 too.
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
The caddy is also the lightest big block!!
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by big block fiero:

Are there any big block fiero's completed yet? need wheelie picks. seems like a few were almost done 4 months ago.

This is the only big block Fiero that I know of, beside yours!
http://www.fierocountry.us/tracy.html

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 12-11-2007).]

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by flames4me:

1. I'm not sure how you personally classify a big block from a small block but 500ci is the biggest CID production motor EVER to come in a production car, correct me if I'm wrong but the 2nd largest was 460BB Ford, and 3rd was the 454 BBC. if you dont thing that 500ci is a big block then what is?

IF you look at Ford, Chevy, and Mopar they have 2 blocks that they use for most of thier motors. Ford 302, Chevy 350, and Mopar 318 all use smaller Blocks then the Big blocks such as Ford 460, Chevy 454, and Mopar 440. IF I remember correctly BOPC use the same block for all their motors so the Pontiac 350 is the same block as a 455. SB vs BB has nothing to do with CID, it is the external size of the Block. There are 400 CID Small blocks and then you have the 396 which is a big block motor.

------------------

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by big block fiero:

The caddy is also the lightest big block!!

How does it compare to, say, a 350 and an L67? I know the 3800 is heavy, just wondering if someone can provide numbers to put this all into perspective.
PFF
System Bot
rclassic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rclassicSend a Private Message to rclassicDirect Link to This Post
I've read a number of times that the motor only weighs about 50# more than a small block chevy. Its the transmission that is extremely heavy. I got my cradle extended today,I'll test fit it tomorrow.
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2007 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rclassic:

I've read a number of times that the motor only weighs about 50# more than a small block chevy. Its the transmission that is extremely heavy. I got my cradle extended today,I'll test fit it tomorrow.

Block------------------------------------------------210

Crank w/hub---------------------------------------78
pistons/rods,bearings-----------------------------30
Heads w/valves, springs------------------------125
valve-train-Cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, chain, gears -27
cast iron intake ----------------------------------- 43
oil pan,pump,pickup-----------------------------14
valve covers- ----------------------------------------7
water pump, plate -------------------------------10
flexplate-----------------------------------------------5
fuel pump--------------------------------------------2
motor mounts---------------------------------------7
distributor, coil, wires------------------------------7
exhaust manifolds-------------------------------- 31
balancer, pulleys, brackets, belts-------------15
alternator -------------------------------------------10
power steering pump----------------------------14
air pump----------------------------------------------10
cooling fan---------------------------------------------6
Q-jet carburetor, dashpot, choke spring---10
Air cleaner---------------------------------------------5

Total--------------------------------------------- 666 lbs

A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY WEIGH'S 575 LB'S. I don't know if this includes the alternator, air cleaner, cast iron exhaust manifolds,fan,air pump, power steering pump, motor mounts, flex plate, ect.

If you put on an aluminum intake you save about 30 lb. The iron caddy intake is very wide and heavy.
The 425 balancer and stamped steal crank hub pullys are about an 8 lb savings. 500's have thick cast iron pullys.
The 1970, non-smog egr heads are 14 pounds lighter then those listed above.
The 425 water pump is 1 pound lighter.
SO NOW WERE DOWN TO 613 LB'S.

Subtract the alternator, air cleaner, cast iron exhaust manifolds, fan, air pump, powersteering pump, motormounts and flex-plate.
SO NOW WERE DOWN TO 525 LB'S.

Also there is A 14 pound savings by running the "stock "12" instead of the heavy 13" converter.
There is obvious weight reduction that can be cut from the outside of the differential housing, Just look at it and go get the sawzahl.

Ive been constantly critisized by those that don't believe the engine weights that I've posted, want this build thread to die and think my car is undriveable and impracticle for daily use so I figured I would post the facts in full detail subject to examination.

[This message has been edited by big block fiero (edited 12-13-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock