help me identify this convertible.. HELPP by freedom0226
Started on: 01-13-2016 12:40 PM
Replies: 14 (508 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-18-2016 02:24 AM
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i believe this is an L.A machine kit based on pics i am checking out on google images and etc. I dont know much about it and its currently not running. I have checked all vins on silverfieros registry and it is not listed. Any ways i think its la machine because it has all the clips running along the top for the cover. Def. not automoda and thats where my info runs out.. PLEASE HELP. i will be picking this up on Saturday regardless just want to know what i am getting into.

gif image hosting
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
California Convertibles ( if it has "no cables" to help the top maunaully fold down) or Brisa ( if it has cables)
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VIN decoder states this :

1 Made in USA
G Made by GM
2 Pontiac Division
P Fiero (P-Body)
G GT
37 Notchback
9 2.8L HO V6 (L44)
7 Check Digit
F 1985
P Made in Pontiac, MI
231952 31952 of 76,371
Looks like an LA Machine top... weird thing is that the decoder states a GT .. but does not have the center gauge pod... looks fully loaded too
Did you verify .... door gaps are they even all around both sides ... spaceframe for rust ... under side support structure ....

Could be worth bringing back to life ... good luck with the revamp

Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 01-13-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

VIN decoder states this :

1 Made in USA
G Made by GM
2 Pontiac Division
P Fiero (P-Body)
G GT
37 Notchback
9 2.8L HO V6 (L44)
7 Check Digit
F 1985
P Made in Pontiac, MI
231952 31952 of 76,371
Looks like an LA Machine top... weird thing is that the decoder states a GT .. but does not have the center gauge pod... looks fully loaded too
Did you verify .... door gaps are they even all around both sides ... spaceframe for rust ... under side support structure ....

Could be worth bringing back to life ... good luck with the revamp

Danyel

'85 GTs didn't have the center pod. They also had a 6K tach. Check out the instrument pics, carefully. Those are not "regular Duke" gauges.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-13-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have that exact kit. It is an La Machine/California Convertible kit. Great looking conventional fit top when installed correctly but very prone to leaks. I guess where it was designed (So. Calif) they don't get much rain there so the top stays down 95% of the time. Always thought that the 1 pc wrap around top looked the best.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. ..this is coming home this Saturday. When the tow arrivesi will take pics of the bottom. ......... i can't believe i missed that red conv.that was just sold a couple months back on the forum. I was M.IA for a year due to having a baby boy being born..anyway here's my second chance at it......thanks guys...
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a pre-recall intake tube I see?

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

tesmith can you please shoot some info my way about this. ive never heard about this recall....
freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

freedom0226

954 posts
Member since Dec 2009
wanted to thank you guys for the info . i purchased this today and towed it home. now i need to figure out this oldschool clifford alarm system that wont let me crank the engine over. As you can see under the car it def. appears to be a factory done la machine its the same outline metal framing as shown in the pics i found online.

imgupload
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good score! Yes, a Brisa/L.A. Machines/California Convertibles built car.

I have one too!

Enjoy!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always like the 1 pc construction of the LA Machine/Brisa top but the mechanism in the down folded position sits a little high. The Intermoda kit looks better folded but the extra roof panels take up storage space and if rain develops, getting that top raised up. IMO though the Brisa LA kit looks far better in the up position as it has a fuller look to it. The Intermoda top has two end wings to the rear that do not look as good to me. The GM prototype looked the best but only one may still exist. All in all Fiero Convertibles are few..
If you need a new canvas top for your convertible, I have the name of the manufacturer (in California) that made them for LA Machine. They probably still have the pattern and if you need one can sew a new top for you.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Topless Association. Make sure you put a coat of protection on those support frames ... rust can be a biatch.
regards
Danyel

@Dennis LaGrua that's Automoda not Intermoda

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are in Maine you may be able to find a Rayco nearby.

http://raycotops.com/

If you need a new rear window, they did a new top for my 67 firebird back in the 70s and did a great job.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks again guys for all the help and info. i started a thread in the tech forum since this stupid clifford alarm will not let me even try to start and diagnose the car... feel free to chime in with any info. i will hold off on the sliverfiero registry until i can actually get this thing on the road. i dont want to ginx myself..

as for the top its actually in good condition and not ripped just the rear plastic glass needs to be replaced but i want to make sure this thing runs before i dump money on the top.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Originally posted by freedom0226:

tesmith can you please shoot some info my way about this. ive never heard about this recall....

Look at a picture of almost any other Fiero 2.8 engine, and you'll see what tesmith66 is referring to.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock