Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A Barn Find and a piece of Fiero History (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Barn Find and a piece of Fiero History by Thunderstruck GT
Started on: 11-07-2015 05:03 PM
Replies: 129 (4770 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-22-2016 08:43 AM
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might also throw out that this car could possibly be the car that Pontiac used in the 88 Fiero sales brochures. The car is silver and has the 87 Diamond spokes painted black in the brochure. Being that the car still exists, indicates that it was used in a different manner by Pontiac than the normal usage of a pilot build car. Most pilot cars are run to the point of mechanical failure and most of them were used as NHSTA crash test certifications when the proving grounds testing was done. Most of the pilot build cars that I have personally been around that still exist have an additional story behind them that occurred past the point of the pilot testing.

Something to think about.

Fred
IP: Logged
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread has been closed by OP

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 04-19-2016).]

fiero_derrickwi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_derrickwiSend a Private Message to fiero_derrickwiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely a true piece of fiero history, what a great find!!! We have to keep the love of fieros alive
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fiero_derrickwi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_derrickwiSend a Private Message to fiero_derrickwiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a great car you have.. anyone would love to have it in they collection. (I know I would love to have it)

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

The car is definitely a piece of history that should not be parted out. A little elbow grease and it would look a lot better. There will be parts on the car that do not look like production parts.

One thing that you need to understand is that 1) The car cannot be titled. There was never a MSO issued , so a VIN search will show that the car was never technically a vehicle that conforms to the Federal laws of the definition of a motor vehicle. This car is different than a vehicle that was sold new by a dealer that has a VIN plate on it with no valid title. So, the thought that it has a VIN plate affixed to the car does not make it eligible to have a title, simply because Pontiac did not certify it as a vehicle for public sale and consumption. 2) The liability disclaimer stickers stuck on the car are null and void. They had some meaning before 2009, but GM went out of business and is new corporation where this car was not claimed as an asset of the new corporation. So don't be too concerned about the language of the stickers.

The SPI tag on the left front inner fender well should have the RPO codes, WD1-Pilot Build Vehicle and WU4- Not certified for sale outside of GM Corporation. It is the WU4 RPO code that kills the chances of getting a title. It is by no means illegal to have this car in your possession as it is nothing more than an asset. But it is very illegal to drive it on a public road.

This car is a great find, and I hope that you take the steps to preserve it the way it is.

If you think that you might want to sell the car, drop me a line.

Fred

Good find.
Listen to this man, better yet sell him the car he preserves Fiero history.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I've already lost an '84 and an '88 decent condition base models due to squirrels.

How do their little feet reach the pedals?

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, if Fred might be right that they used this car for 1988 (they only did 2 things of advertising with a Silver 1988 GT) The 88 catalog hot ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS...AOSw-W5UuEqa&vxp=mtr

and a sales ad for goodyear tires in 1988 featuring a silver fiero gt (look at second page of cars
http://www.curbsideclassic....arer-would-you-pick/
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015
Got great news today....

The engine and clutch are free.

I don't know how old the battery in the car is but I do know its shot. So I took a chance and put my half shot jump box on it to see if it would start. Well with a totally shot battery and a jump box on its last leg I figured that actually firing it up would be a long shot, and it was. But I did have enough power to turn the engine over a few times just not enough to fire.
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And for those wondering why the car is the 1988 Monotone and not two-tone, the school had made it look like an '88 as time went on.

I found this note under the seat.

This note is consistent with notes I have found in my prototypes. The handwriting even looks similar. I was told by the person who supervised the prototype shop in Pontiac that he would often write hand written instructions for the techs so that the original work order would not would not get compromised while work was being performed. You need to study around the car and see if there are any more project or prototype numbers or stickers on the car. There should be paper stickers on some of the mechanical components that say "CPC Engineering sample" on them with a project number hand written. There will also be project numbers either hand scribed or hand stamped similar to the sequence number stamped on the top of the strut towers.

Fred
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I recalled that the wheels appear as though they have never been off of the car.

That's weird. Would students at the school never have wanted to inspect the calipers, rotors, etc?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's weird. Would students at the school never have wanted to inspect the calipers, rotors, etc?

Oh I know, I bet its one of those new fangled classes they started offering a while back that was always full when it was time for me to sign up...

Automotive Admiration 101

--Allen
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

Automotive Admiration 101

Yeah, but they could've admired the calipers, rotors, etc even better with the wheels removed!
When we were young, we would've loved the challenge getting those special wheel locks off.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fiero_derrickwi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_derrickwiSend a Private Message to fiero_derrickwiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious where are you located at?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is a piece of automotive history. Whether it was used in GM's advertising campaign or not, there are probably extremely few donated Fieros that escaped the crusher and remain today. The labels and all that stuff might mean something to a true collector and the right person may really value what is there. I would not remove any of them.
As a driver, customizer, and hobbyist, my interest in owning cars like this is small, but still appreciate the historical significance. I hope that this car finds a home in an automotive museum.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-11-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I took a chance and put my half shot jump box on it to see if it would start. Well with a totally shot battery and a jump box on its last leg I figured that actually firing it up would be a long shot, and it was. But I did have enough power to turn the engine over a few times just not enough to fire.

How is the oil level, etc? Be careful cranking over an engine that may have sat for a long time. Also my guess is quite old nasty fuel too.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sales brochure cars being pre- 88 are something that we had discovered many years ago. One of the dead give aways was the orientation of the brake calipers. It is shown in the brochure picture that the car has rear brake calipers in front of the rotor where production 88's place the brake caliper behind the rotor. Another giveaway in the rear shot of the car in the brochure is that you can see the pallex cloth with leatherette emblem on the dash pocket; an item that was changed for 88. Even the yellow Formula is a pre 88.

More than likely the reason for using the earlier cars was press deadlines. Most of the sales and marketing strategies were developed 18 to 24 months before release. The 88 sales material started showing up at the dealerships in late June to mid July of 87.

Like I mentioned earlier, scour the car for any possible prototype project numbers. The sticker currently on the windshield is the donation number. Donation 511 in 1989. Might I suggest that you go back to the school where the car was and see if they might still have the original donation document still on file. That will tell which division of GM donated the car and more than likely might have the original prototype number on the document. It would also reveal names of people involved. These are all strong leads to follow. If we had an original prototype number, I would be able to pursue the number with some of the contacts I have in Detroit to see if there might be some records left.

A tip that I can give in seeing if there is any residue left on the glass from stickers or decals that have been removed. On a cool morning, fog up the windows on the inside. You might surprise yourself with what you find. My real pace car opened up like a book with all the window markings that proved it one of the three pace cars.

Good luck with making the car run. I too have brought back cars that have sat for more than 25 years. There will be a couple of things that makes you wonder how it happened, but for the most part, things are usually fine. Fieros are to new in automotive lineage to worry to much about mechanical components deteriorating like the older cars did.

Fred
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac must have produced several different sales brochures. I have an 88 full product line and it has a story on the 88 and shows a red GT, yellow Formula and a white coupe. You defiantly have a very unique car.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

A tip that I can give in seeing if there is any residue left on the glass from stickers or decals that have been removed. On a cool morning, fog up the windows on the inside. You might surprise yourself with what you find. My real pace car opened up like a book with all the window markings that proved it one of the three pace cars.

Fred

Thats cool!
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2015 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man if he can get any more info that would be awesome,glad you ended up with it..
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the brochure that shows the car.....

http://www.autobooksbishko..../stdImages/3735.jpeg

Can someone post the photo of the car from that brochure ?

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-24-2015).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
found these on ebay (note image will go red x when ebay listing goes stale)

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fascinating stuff
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to get off topic but when I start a car that has been sitting for a long time, I change the oil, drain all of the gasoline, and fog all the cylinders with oil.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

87RedRum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87RedRumSend a Private Message to 87RedRumEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is pretty damn interesting and fascinating to say the least!!! I'm excited to find out the history of this cool barn find!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock