Just say'n hello...and share some thoughts by EARLY86GT
Started on: 11-02-2015 03:25 AM
Replies: 11 (279 views)
Last post by: EARLY86GT on 11-02-2015 06:43 PM
EARLY86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EARLY86GTSend a Private Message to EARLY86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my first Fiero yesterday from a guy in Dade City Fl....I got a super clean 86 gt 117k with almost new interior and a whole trailer full of enough body parts to build another car... I've always wanted a Fiero but got the Vw bug instead as a teen... And now I have the Fiero bug and in my late 40's, and have a lot more knowledge.

I'm still learning a lot about these cars, this is how I know I have a early 86 model because it has a 4sp and not the 5sp trans... I would like to find a 5sp some day but will wait until I do a motor swap... The car has plenty of zip until you turn on the Air, then it feels like a 4 cylinder car...to remedy this problem I have plans for a nice American V8... I've only came across one video on utube that had a 5.0...short video and no motor specs or any detail about the swap.

I have a clean 5.0 EFI with all the Ford Racing goodies... Why a Ford u ask?... I'm one of those guys that just want to be different.... Everyone is doing a 4.9, Ls4 swaps and also the 3.4 and 3.8 as well as the 350 Chevy and so on...personally I'm a Ford fan...and love Mustangs and love the reving 5.0...ya and now I own a Pontiac and not a Ford right...well, I sure can't afford a Ford GT so I'll make something close that should satisfy my speed demand.

If anyone here has a link leading to info about a 5.0 swap it would be very appreciated (I couldn't find any) .... Unfortunately I spend most of my time out on the road and only get 1 week off a month so I will do my best to keep you updated on my newly found toy.

Enjoy the holidays..... 🍻

------------------
If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and do I dare say the madness!

Good luck with your planned swap and please do keep us posted. Do include photos.

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds cool! I don't know of anyone that has put a 5.0 in a Fiero so finding info on this exact swap may be tough. What trans do you plan on using?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some time ago someone swapped in a Ford SHO engine. It looked sweet.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Some time ago someone swapped in a Ford SHO engine. It looked sweet.

Would be my dream swap if I could! I love my Fiero but my old SHO holds a special place in my heart, so long as the rust won't give me some sort of poisoning for keeping it there, maybe I should get a tetanus shot!

Welcome to the forum, looking very forward to seeing this swap!
EARLY86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EARLY86GTSend a Private Message to EARLY86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the warm welcome... I don't think I will do any kind of body kit, just a clean little sleeper....haha.... Haha

I want to use a 5sp when I do the swap... Do I need to get the 5sp shift linkage or will the 4sp linkage work?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, sounds like an interesting swap.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2feido did a 5.0L Ford swap back in 2007. He had it running, but had issues with his DIY adapter plate (0.045" off center) tearing up clutches and eventually sold the car in the mall.

Here is his build thread, but he went back and deleted all info in his posts.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-080825.html

Here are two of the clutch failure threads:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-095969.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-097912.html
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Neighbor

If you need any help or advice, give me a shout and drop by.

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here is his build thread, but he went back and deleted all info in his posts.
5.0l Fiero...The build

Kind of a shame when people do that.

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome to the forum! I can not imagine how to go about putting a longitudinal engine in a Fiero sideways, and getting a transmission to work with it. You have one heck of a task ahead!

Originally posted by EARLY86GT:
I sure can't afford a Ford GT so I'll make something close that should satisfy my speed demand.

If it is SPEED that you are wanting, you could also re-consider a 3800SC swap The 3800 is the easiest, and the best bang for the buck for sure!

To go to the "next level" Get your self a Series III, increase the pulley size on the super charger, and you could eat Corvette's, Mustangs and the likes for lunch !
PFF
System Bot
EARLY86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EARLY86GTSend a Private Message to EARLY86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good to me...I'm still swinging between the 5.0 and the 3.8 SC.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock