Started on: 04-26-2014 03:44 PM
Replies: 10 (649 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 04-28-2014 02:02 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FFIEROFRED

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I did so I could have a air intake on that side for my "TPI". It is a front fender, drivers side from a 1982 corvette.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything you have seen on the passenger side in terms of a similar scope to what's on the driver's side is either something someone has made or adapted from another car. No one creates any sort of aftermarket quarter panel that mimics the look. Beyond that, you're looking at getting custom quarter panels which are quite plentiful from a good deal of vendors.

The scoop(s) in the hood that many install serve two purposes. One is that they are usually positioned over the radiator opening to allow air to travel out of the pocket that forms in that area. Air travels in through the front of the car, but usually goes right back under the car after it passes through the radiator area. The other purpose the scoop(s) serve - and it plays a bit off the prior - is to reduce the air pressure itself which can help with downforce on the front of the car. If you have ever had the headlight doors flip open on the interstate at speed, then you will know the air pressure issue Fieros have. Installing a scoop can allow air to travel up through the hood to alleviate some of this pressure.

One thing to realize though is you do not have to have a visible scoop on the hood. Many have installed vents and such 'inside' the radiator area. Two very common places to install scoops, which do function as good as having a visible scoop, is in the headlight door area on the sides and/or bottom below the headlights.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've posted a few time asking what people are doing with the passage side scoop. Are people just leaving it going no where? just for looks or venting it somewhere?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Passenger Side Scoop on my Formula serves no purpose other than looks and symmetry. But I am sure you could do some fabrication and make it functional in some way. Like an oil cooler.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very early pre-production photos show a Fiero with NO scoop on either side, and some show a scoop on both sides, GM even designed a set of scoops for both sides that looked like the Z06 have, just larger. Several aftermarket vendors have created a copy of that "GM" design. GM didn't like the "rock chips" that those scoops got, so they passed on the design. SageFG and others have created both "in" and "out" designed scoops. Some argue the design or whether the scoops do anything at all. I have never liked the "unbalanced" look that one scoop gives, so I always put on some kind of "dual scoop" lower rocker on my cars.

I installed a set of Trans Am fender scoops on the front. They are for looks only, but could be made functional.

this pic is an example of the "out" GM designed scoop

this is a pic of the "in" design.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
88 GT, SIII 3800NA/Auto swap underway
LS Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0
3800 build thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 04-27-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

To my knowledge, the Fiero only came with a left side quarter panel intake. I saw a convincing picture somewhere with the same thing on the right side. Anyone know anything about that?

When I read this, I thought of this pic:

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 04-28-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone used Fiat X19 side scoops. The X19 had scoops on both sides and they are similar in appearance to the Fiero, except that they are a little larger, if I recall. I couldn't find the thread where they'd been installed, but there are pics of the scoops in this thread, along with some good examples. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129970.html

Speaking of 'outie' scoops, how's this?

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-28-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay