Side scoops advice by NetCam
Started on: 08-31-2013 01:04 AM
Replies: 60 (4495 views)
Last post by: tshark on 04-05-2014 04:08 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking at side scoops, as I've never really gotten over the fact that GM didn't at least make a fake scoop on the right side of the car for the sake of symmetry. I know you can't ever see both sides of the car at the same time, but I still know it's there .

Wondering if anybody would like to share their experiences with aftermarket scoops. I've looked at these

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Has anybody used these and did their own drilling and cutting out of the scoops? I'm already so far over budget that I can't even bring myself to add up all my receipts, but wondering if it's worth the extra $100 to get them drilled and cut (as opposed to doing it myself and possibly screwing it up). Are there any other options out there besides FieroFibrerlass.com?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or these?? Anyone have pictures of these on a completed car?

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if my picture will post
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
[img]
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you didn't get the [img] and [/img] tags in the right place
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For Lou:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-31-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I never can get that to work. I made those about 4 years ago. (68 Corvette)
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A member here on PFF some time ago posted photos of his white fastback GT in a "white Fieros thread" in GFC. He had used FIAT X1/9 side vents in place of the stock vent and on the passenger side for symmetry. If you're not familiar with them, they were thin rectangular vents that were used on both sides of the X1/9. If you Google a FIAT X1/9 you'll see what they look like. Now getting a set may be difficult as it's getting harder to find an X1/9, but it'll be cheaper getting a set of those than buying aftermarket quarter panels.

Also as of note; The very first Fiero made didn't have a side intake vent at all, but all subsequent build cars would have the intake. It does a good job for what it is.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Warehouse IMSA scoops.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like those ones from the Fiero Warehouse, the look good and seem to fit with the lines of the car. What was used for mesh there?
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make your own! A tube of Fusor 114 and some scrap door skin and you can do it in a weekend, easily.

PFF
System Bot
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Warehouse Ribbed IMSA

I Love them

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 | 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got mine today from Fiero Fiberglass (the ones in the first pic). They are well made and only look like they need some minor bodywork to get them ready for paint. I paid the extra $100 bucks for the cutting and drilling, money well spent IMO. It looks like the drilling may be pretty straightforward but cutting out the vents could be a bit tricky.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the first set but arn't they for GT only?
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Phirewire

1531 posts
Member since May 2012
I like the first set but arn't they for GT only?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they're made for the GT only, but they also have a set for the non-GT

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Warehouse vents fit perfectly. I had to elongate one hole, by about 3/16". That's it.
IMHO, pay the extra for whatever "finishing" you need, unless you know that you're really good at it.
I paid for vents cut, finish prime, and screens.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

Make your own! A tube of Fusor 114 and some scrap door skin and you can do it in a weekend, easily.

Is there a diy page somewhere that shows how to male the ones in the first pic?

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:
Anyone have pictures of these on a completed car?

The unfinished scoops pictured above are from The Fiero Warehouse, and are of excellent quality. Their scoop is what I have on my Fiero, but rendered fully functional. How to do that is outlined in this archived thread titled, "pictures of side scoops-please post yours" ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-085430.html ).

You'd inquired about pictures on a completed car having these scoops.

The finished Fiero Warehouse side scoop I have on my Fiero looks very much like the one below, including even the color (but without the "Ram Air V6" emblem pictured in the following photo):

Combined with a "True Cold Air Intake" from Rodney Dickman " (which I also have), it sounds like "Darth Vader stuck on inhale", as one person so aptly put it within the archived thread titled, "Rodney's True Cold Air Intake System" ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-103192.html ). That sound is most apparent just after initial start-up of a cold Fiero engine.

I'm well aware that the Fiero in stock form already has a fine CAI system , but I like the looks, and the sound, of my set-up, much better.

And no, as I pointed out in the thread I just cited, I've NOT had a problem with my "sealed-off" fully functional set-up sucking up water into the air filter, and my year-round, daily driver sees plenty of inclement weather.

However, as I alluded to in that thread, I deem it unwise (unlike one guy's spouse), to attempt to drive Fieros or any other cars through rivers. Accordingly, unlike some, I avoid doing that.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

However, as I alluded to in that thread, I deem it unwise (unlike one guy's spouse), to attempt to drive Fieros or any other cars through rivers. Accordingly, unlike some, I avoid doing that.

I really liked the look of that side scoop, probably in part because it reminded me of the red Grand Ma that I used to drive. I have to agree on the driving through rivers part, we don't want to end up like a certain Ferrari driver did around the corner from my work in Toronto a few weeks ago

topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

Fiero Warehouse Ribbed IMSA

I Love them

almost look like AUS stage 3's nice

------------------

3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl...
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107
07 HHR - Wifes (tried to have her get the SS)

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paying for the drilling and cutting is a decision that's pretty easy to make. If you have experience in drilling and cutting fiberglass then it's not worth the money. If you have no experience then it's the best $100 you can spend.

Tools you will need are...

Dremel with several cut off disk's (you will more than likely break several)
Rasp
DA Sander with 120 grit paper
Drill
4 drill bits, sizes 1/2", 1/4", 7/32" & 3/16"

All holes MUST be drilled with the drill running in reverse. If you try to dill the holes in forward speed you WILL break the mounting points off and then have to repair them. You will need to drill 33 holes per side! Then you will need to use the Dremel with cut off disks to finish off some of the mounting openings. Then you will need the Dremel with cut off disks to cut out the scoop opening. Now use the rasp to smooth out the opening cutting. Now use the DA Sander to smooth out the rasp marks and sand the panel to be ready for priming.

Count on spending 8-12 hours with no experience. It takes me 6 hours to get a set ready for shipping and I have drilled & cut more than 100 sets.

Make sure you wear safety goggles and do this outside. It's gonna make a mess!
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there diy on how to make the first ones?
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first set I pictured is sort of like an IMSA style and the only set of those I have made up. Basically, you mark the cutout shape on the stock 1/4 panel and then I use a Skil circular saw to cut the flap open, stopping short at the corners so they can be radiused with a jigsaw. I then cut fillers in the shape I want the opening to remain when finished. Get everything fitted, and then apply the Fusor adhesive and clamp as best you can. The drivers side has to be cut out, then a filler made to complete the flap área where the Factory air intake was. The IMSA style required that I heat the flap to get it to bend sharp enough without distorting the 1/4 panel.
Be sure to sand to bare surface wherever the adhesive will be applied. I sometimes make enough of these up for my friend to sell on EBay. We have sold around 15 sets over the last few years, and then I have made up some for several of my cars. Likely there will be some available this winter. Too busy now to make any up.

Here is a picture of the backside of my standard opening unit.

Friends Formula with an early set. They have been revised to have an extra inch of width between the Wheel opening and the trailing edge of the cutout.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've gone through all the photos I can find, but can't seem to locate one of these scoops (Fiero Warehouse) with the GT ground effects. Anybody have some?

mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here you go pic of my car

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

[This message has been edited by mafv8 (edited 09-03-2013).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks mafv8, those look really good on your car, like they belong

Any additional drilling required or did they bolt right on?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've gone through all the photos I can find, but can't seem to locate one of these scoops (Fiero Warehouse) with the GT ground effects. Anybody have some?

Keep in mind that these (Fiero Warehouse) scoops do not come with the GT ground effects. They have to be added.
They come plain or drilled.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought for fiero scoops...

I know they aren't made specifically for the fiero, but I remember someone on Pennocks putting them on their car.
They are from a fiat x1/9 from the late 70's early 80's I belive and are basically the same size as the stock fiero side scoop. At least you could have peace with symetry.

I picked these up picknpull this weekend for under $10. Not sure what if anything I'd do with them....maybe just add them to my growing pile of stock vents and scoops.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought about the X19 scoops, but I think they're getting very hard to find. Those white scoops look they might be good to put on the hood if the angles are right!
PFF
System Bot
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought about the X19 scoops, but I think they're getting very hard to find. Those white scoops look they might be good to put on the hood if the angles are right!

The angles are most certainly not right. The only way I think you could do the white scoops would be to use them like old Curly did on his last fiero build...the red one. As a hood extractor, it just looks messed up. I gotta admit, the x19 scoops are growing on me. They have a cool 3 dimetional property to their design that most of the others I've found just don't have. That being said, if your interested in them...send me a PM.
mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks mafv8, those look really good on your car, like they belong

Any additional drilling required or did they bolt right on?

you have the option of buying them with the holes in or not, I chose to have the holes in, and they went in pretty good, a little adjusting here and there, but it looked like my car had a minor hit on the passesnger side in this area, was not aware of this untill I pulled off the old plastic panels, so that did not help the fitment. I had the parts painted at a local bodyshop, and they commented on the quality of the new panels, they were very impressed with them.

[This message has been edited by mafv8 (edited 09-04-2013).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback! Looking at your picture I'm guessing your car is lowered as well (Eibach lowering springs??)? I like the stance, now looking at pictures of my own, it looks like it's riding too high

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-04-2013).]

MyMidlifeCrisis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyMidlifeCrisisClick Here to visit MyMidlifeCrisis's HomePageSend a Private Message to MyMidlifeCrisisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MyMidlifeCrisis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyMidlifeCrisisClick Here to visit MyMidlifeCrisis's HomePageSend a Private Message to MyMidlifeCrisisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyMidlifeCrisis

9 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Sorry Forgot text. Yes these are homemade as well. Fun weekend project. Be creative!
Ingredients:
80 Grit paper
Expanding urethane foam
fiberglass bondo
regular bondo
front edge form ( pet dish)
duct tape (to mask against urethane foam)
primer
MyMidlifeCrisis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyMidlifeCrisisClick Here to visit MyMidlifeCrisis's HomePageSend a Private Message to MyMidlifeCrisisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyMidlifeCrisis

9 posts
Member since Oct 2012
The functional side
MyMidlifeCrisis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyMidlifeCrisisClick Here to visit MyMidlifeCrisis's HomePageSend a Private Message to MyMidlifeCrisisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyMidlifeCrisis

9 posts
Member since Oct 2012
mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the feedback! Looking at your picture I'm guessing your car is lowered as well (Eibach lowering springs??)? I like the stance, now looking at pictures of my own, it looks like it's riding too high

I have Eibach springs in the back , with 225/50x17 tire and 2" dropped spindles in the front with 215/40x17 tires
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any issues painting the side scoops. I am considering purchasing some from Fierofiberglass but have some reservations about how they would work out. I talked with a body shop today and they said that a lot of times items that are custom fitted and ready to paint take a lot of hours of work to really get them ready for installation and the actual installation. This adds to the costs.

I just got a 1988 with 42000 miles in PRISTINE condition about a month ago and last week got hit by a lady on the parking lot so the car is going into the shop and I want to make a positve out of this. Since the body shop is doing the painting anyway....

Any advice or comments on issues with painting and installation would be greatly appreciated. Can it be installed by a novice? Does the fiberglasss paint easily? Etc.

[This message has been edited by markkrug (edited 12-05-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock