Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Sequential LED Tail Lights (Part 2) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sequential LED Tail Lights (Part 2) by doublec4
Started on: 11-02-2013 10:46 AM
Replies: 198 (9012 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-10-2016 01:06 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back I made some LED tail lights for my Fiero. I posted some pictures in a thread and they seemed to be well received. I thought they turned out pretty well too and I was going to start selling them if people wanted.

Then I had a few requests from members to make a sequential set up for the LED tail lights. I ended up delaying the release of the lights, and taking on this new challenge. I also wanted to make the whole package more professional looking so I designed some boards and had them made. I recently received the boards for the sequential controller and soldered them up. They work great! I also have some custom boards I designed coming for the LED panels too.

Take a look:

Here's a video with an explanation/demonstration:

This board is for the notchback lights (brake/turn combined into one LED panel)

I also have boards designed for the GT lights and they're coming soon!

The whole process takes a while, but I'm happy with how everything is turning out so far and how these lights have evolved.

If you have any questions, let me know
------------------

Check out my build and my website!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 11-02-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello
Youtube video not working ...

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's strange, it seems to be working for me?

Anybody else having trouble with the video?
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Works for me. Looks great let me know a price when you het the gt ones done

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Trust one

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Trust oneSend a Private Message to Trust oneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hey nice work the video looks great what is the price on them I have a 88 formula.is it plug and play,Thanks.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!! Can't wait.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh lordy do want. I've wanted sequential tail lights anyway, being LED is just a bonus.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been awhile since I have worked with them. You could use a National LM3914/5/6, it would not have to be programmed. You could use a capacitor build up circuit for the sequential look. Even with an individual dot movement to the outside. On the brake function, it would pass the first senquential movement, then it would then be on steady. You would use a build up circuit to time between the flasher pulses that you would normally tie into the voltage sensing input of the LM3914. These were used for VU meters. The build up circuit would increase sense voltage as time goes by, when the flasher switches then it would repeat. But can be made to do many different functions. Run up to 10 leds with one chip or cascade up to 19.
Damn it know you have me thinking again. Might have to get some blank boards and ferric chloride. There is a vendor on Epay that has boards cheap, but they are limited to mostly 4"x 6".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160...id=p3984.m1423.l2649
For larger trace boards. Use a "Cricut" cutter to make etch resist out of blank bumper stickers. I had been using one that I modified to cut the vinyl right on the boards. I have even put boards through an inkjet printer before and dusted toner on them. (using a CD tray) Let dry, blow off the excess toner, put into a toaster oven. As soon as the toner starts to turn shiny, remove from the oven. Let cool and it is ready for etching. Very fine stamping powder also works. Could never get a Laser printer transfer method to work well, even with a HP mp6. But I was also trying to make resist for 2oz. copper. Needed the resist to be rather thick. Making boards that had traces thick and wide enough for 10 amps. Couldn't afford the photo sensitive transfers for stuff that might not work(prototyping)
How do I upload a PDF file to the post?

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 11-02-2013).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

That's strange, it seems to be working for me?

Anybody else having trouble with the video?

Works ok now ... good video
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys

cmechmann, there are numerous ways you can build sequencing circuits. I happened to use this method because it kept the component count low (which helps when making the boards in larger quantities... I solder each board myself). It also gives me the flexibility to change the sequencing delay and pattern with a few mouse clicks and I don't have to remove any components from the board. Just plug it in and go.

I first looked into etching the boards myself, but it can be quite time consuming. Plus, making double layered boards can be quite challenging. I figured I would have them manufactured by a board shop that is well equipped for the job and can make each board consistently perfect. Saves me a lot of time too. For prototype boards, etching your own is a great option though, especially to make sure your board design works.

To post a pdf I think you'd have to upload it to a file sharing service and post a link on here?

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just some ideas.
If I used this I would mount leds on pcbs that would fit into/onto the stock reflector areas. That way they could be returned to stock if need be. Also would not require drilling out the colored panels for the leds. That way your board could be piggy backed to one of them. What are the dimensions of the board? It would make it easier to shoehorn them in without the terminal blocks. If there are blank male bulb connectors, they could be made to use the stock sockets.
However the time and money are not things I have right now to start a pcb project.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:

Just some ideas.
If I used this I would mount leds on pcbs that would fit into/onto the stock reflector areas. That way they could be returned to stock if need be. Also would not require drilling out the colored panels for the leds. That way your board could be piggy backed to one of them. What are the dimensions of the board? It would make it easier to shoehorn them in without the terminal blocks. If there are blank male bulb connectors, they could be made to use the stock sockets.
However the time and money are not things I have right now to start a pcb project.

I have LED PCB boards designed and I'm having them quoted right now. I also have a CNC machine that I'm going to cut new lenses from. Everything will be plug and play (including blank bulb connectors) so you can absolutely return to stock if you ever wanted. Drilling holes for each individual LED in the stock lenses was never an option. Much too time consuming, and the location of each hole would vary so much that the end product probably wouldn't look up to par.

The board is much smaller than it looks, only 2 inches tall, so even with the side terminals its very easy to fit inside the tail light housing. The next revision of the board will use idc type connectors instead of the side terminals, but it's not really a big deal. It will all fit
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update.

Received the quote back on the LED boards for both the notchback and the GT lights... and it looks good!

I will be building some prototypes during the next week to make sure everything fits properly. Then I'll commit to having them manufactured

Can't wait to show you guys!

------------------

Embrace Racing

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a little update.

Received the quote back on the LED boards for both the notchback and the GT lights... and it looks good!

I will be building some prototypes during the next week to make sure everything fits properly. Then I'll commit to having them manufactured

Can't wait to show you guys!

You know I'm ready!

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

You know I'm ready!

Me as well!

Carl Calderone

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm all in! Just let me know when you can fill an order...!
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

Works for me. Looks great let me know a price when you het the gt ones done

Dont forget about me either. ..

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, won't forget about any of you

The only stipulation (if you'd like to call it that) with these kits is that you will have to solder your own LEDs. I will do all of the circuit boards (controllers) for you, but I will supply you with the LEDs and the LED panels and you have to solder those. If you have no experience with it, it's really not difficult, or you can buy your buddy a few beers who knows how and he can do it for you. It will keep the cost down, plus I just don't have time to solder hundreds of LEDs.
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can solder all day long! surface- through hole... Car is up on jackstandsfor bodywork, Winter is coming, so....
Send me a kit I will guine pig it for ya
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres a video of the set i had done for my car. They use only 48 LEDS per sid. if yours uses more I may consider buying it.

http://s2.photobucket.com/u....mp4.html?sort=3&o=2
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

Heres a video of the set i had done for my car. They use only 48 LEDS per sid. if yours uses more I may consider buying it.

http://s2.photobucket.com/u....mp4.html?sort=3&o=2

Those look nice! Do you know what kind of LEDs they used? Maybe it's just the video but they don't seem that bright considering the video was shot at night?

My pattern of LEDs doesn't really follow the stock set up light yours does, so the number of LED's will differ. I've split up the parking lights vs. the brake turn signal on the notchback. I'll have a prototype done relatively soon and you can decide

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure the type but they were really small. My taillights are very tinted aswell. Main reason i would consider using yours is I'd like them to be a little brighter
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering that these have to be visible in the daylight with the sun shining on them I would not use anything else other than 5 mm piranhas super brights

at 85% brightness

at 20% brightness

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 11-10-2013).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be using the piranha type LEDs, more specifically Phillips Lumiled. They have actually been used many times in standard OEM applications.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interested! When do we get to see what the GT lights look like?
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy design has come a LONG ways!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-078206.html
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LED tails for the GT's sound great!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

Very interested! When do we get to see what the GT lights look like?

I will be trying to complete a prototype set this week before I go on vacation for a short period. They will look almost identical to the ones in the link that 'fierocarparts' just posted. However, I'm trying to take the quality of the tail lights to the next level. The insert panels for the LEDs will be professional PCBs (instead of project board), and the controller boards for the sequential turn signal will be similar to what I posted above for the notchback (again, professional PCB). The turn signal will have the sequential feature and all LEDs will be very bright

I always thought the GT tail lights were very nice looking from the factory, so the regular lenses will be reused. It will look "stock" with the lights off, and when they come on, you will be able to tell they are modern LEDs.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been extremely busy, however, I managed to finish the brake/turn section of the notch back panel. The LEDs used for this prototype are generic piranha superflux. They are not the brand name, higher quality LEDs that I will be using for all of the kits. I just didn't want to waste them on a prototype if I didn't have too. Turns out these ones look extremely bright even behind very hazy tail light lenses that I use for prototyping.

Take a look:

I am using secondary optics to enhance the appearance and size of the LEDs. It definitely makes the lights appear larger.

The controller board fits nice and snug behind the panel and out of sight:

You can see a lot of wires that I had to run for the prototype. The actual production versions will have a PCB panel for the brake/turn lights and a ribbon cable will be run to the terminals for clean wiring.

Since I didn't get the parking lights done on this set, you can see what they look like on the last set I made. They will remain identical:

I'll post a short video tomorrow showing the sequential function in the tail light housing.

Thanks for checking back!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 11-14-2013).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Already got the video up...

If you see any "skips" in the LED sequence, it's because I'm connecting and disconnecting the circuit by hand. When your flasher does it, obviously it will work flawlessly.

------------------

Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 11-14-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait for the gt version will look perfect with everything else I am doing. Great job and remember to sign me up. Also let me know pricing when you can. Nice job!

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very slick!!!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking stuff.
Been talking price yet?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-15-2013).]

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty then! Those look sick man! I also am interested in a set. Just have a question. When the blinker is on, will the outlined portion stay on or turn off? Hope that makes sense!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now it's looking at $225 give or take for a kit (both notch and GT)

Originally posted by NEVERDONE:

Alrighty then! Those look sick man! I also am interested in a set. Just have a question. When the blinker is on, will the outlined portion stay on or turn off? Hope that makes sense!

It can actually be wired either way I would include instructions on how to do both methods.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right now it's looking at $225 give or take for a kit (both notch and GT)

Not a bad price
How much plug and play, use your own housings?
What I always disliked about some LEDS is the blueish white LED light ended up making the tail light look pink instead of red. I had thought red LEDs would be best. In the vid they look red but hard to tell for sure. Are your LEDs red and removed the "eggcrate" stuff? If so what can you see when they are turned off, in the daylight?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-15-2013).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please put me down for one GT to start...probably 2 GT sets
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lights are complete plug and play in the sense that you can always return to stock bulbs if you wish. Nothing here is permanent.

The tail lights are a kit though so some assembly is required. The notchback lights will be slightly more work because the parking light section can not be made with a pcb. It's too large and the cost to do it would be unreasonable. Some wire cutting and soldering is necessary with the notchback panel that I make. The brake/turn section will be a pcb and you just have to solder the LEDs to it.

The gt lights will be two pcbs per tail light. All you do there is solder the LEDs to the boards and plug in your wires.

The LEDs are all red/orange for brake and parking lights. Pure red is actually not suggested because they don't appear as bright to the human eye as red/orange does. They are not white LEDs so you don't get the pink look. The turn signal on the gt lights will use amber LEDs.

Thanks guys!

Edit: forgot to add that on the notchback lights the stock lenses are replaced with my custom lenses. When no lights are on you can't see much. Sort of looks like a tinted tail light.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 11-15-2013).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Christmas present??
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock